Final Fantasy XVI General Discussion Thread

Vivi-Gamer

Veteran
Gil
Vivi
Sometimes I often have little questiosns that don't always warrant a full thread, so I thought I'd introduce a place here to discuss any little thoughts or questions anyone may have regarding Final Fantasy XVI :)

The biggest thought on my mind is how much of a surprise that Final Fantasy XVI will be a PlayStation 5 exclusive :
While it is noted for a future release on PC I'm not sure if it will appear on Xbox. This is most surprising considering all the releases we've seen on Xbox One - Ports of VII, VIII 'Remastered' & IX along with X/X-2, XII, The XIII Trilogy getting seriously good backwards compatible treatment (Yes, I'm still jealous), XV & Type-0. That's a heck of a lot of content! I know Final Fantasy VII REMAKE is a PS4 timed exclusive, but now I do question if it will reach Xbox.

I wouldn't be concerned about Final Fantasy XVI not coming to Xbox at some stage, in fact, I'd put good money on it coming to Xbox.

Unless Sony are directly funding the project - either significantly or in part - it makes zero financial sense for Square Enix to make it exclusive, certainly outside Japan anyway. Reiterating my post in the news thread, I think the whole reveal is a Sony flex for their PS5 showcase and not only do I think better trailers come out at a later date that better reflect the actual game, I think it will only end up being a timed exclusive as well.

It's worth noting the end of the trailer too, which was certainly deliberate marketing trick:

"PLAYSTATION 5 CONSOLE EXCLUSIVE*"
*Not available on other platforms for a limited time after release on PS5.

Makes you think it's console exclusive by diverting you away from the small print, but can't actually be accused of being misleading because the small print is there.

I think Xbox owners are safe. (y)

Last edited:
*Stickied*

I encountered some new information today.

Audrey (a translator who translated a lot of FFVII Remake Ultimania material some months back) has translated the Japanese version of the FFXVI trailer. It reveals some interesting new information about the Kingsglaive-like gang at the beginning of the trailer (supposedly they cannot disobey their orders because of their tattoo marks - a bit like l'Cie and their focuses in FFXIII). It also suggests that, according to the natural laws of the FFXVI world, there shouldn't be more than one fire elemental summon in existence at the any one time. That appears to be why the blonde knight on the floor is so confused when he sees Ifrit emerge and fight Phoenix (I must admit, I struggled to understand what he was saying in the English trailer).

Curious...

Last edited:
*Stickied*

I encountered some new information today.

Audrey (a translator who translated a lot of FFVII Remake Ultimania material some months back) has translated the Japanese version of the FFXVI trailer. It reveals some interesting new information about the Kingsglaive-like gang at the beginning of the trailer (supposedly they cannot disobey their orders because of their tattoo marks - a bit like l'Cie and their focuses in FFXIII). It also suggests that, according to the natural laws of the FFXVI world, there shouldn't be more than two fire elemental summons in existence at the same time. That appears to be why the blonde knight on the floor is so confused when he sees Ifrit emerge and fight Phoenix (I must admit, I struggled to understand what he was saying in the English trailer).

Curious...

Should it be more than one in existence at any one time? :alien:

Time to get on the FFXVI hype train! I'm really digging the Witcher/Game of Thrones-like vibe. The return to a high fantasy setting after years of sci-fi will be a welcomed change. Whats also interesting is that its been confirmed to not be another MMO yet coming from the same brains that have been doing FFXIV. I haven't really gotten far in FFXIV as of yet but i've been hearing nothing but great things from pretty much everywhere, especially about Shadowbringers. I just hope Square-Enix learned their lesson from FFXV and not make this into another multimedia mess. While XV was a step in the right direction after XIII and overall enjoyable, the core game felt too unfinished. Don't really want to have to watch a full length movie to understand what the hell the status quo is at the start, a mini-series to flesh out the main characters, DLC to expand on said characters more, and an expansion to fix the original game. Oh and hopefully bring magic and summons back to be somewhat useful maybe (which by the looks of it is a yes!).

Should it be more than one in existence at any one time? :alien:

I goofed! :argor:

Yeah, I meant only one fire summon is meant to exist at any one time, such as is implied by Audrey’s translation.

Well spotted, and I’ll fix my post for clarity. :thehead:

Bloomberg’s Jason Schreier spoke to various individuals and revealed on the Triple Click podcast (around the 9:55 mark) that Final Fantasy 16 has been in development for four years. Schreier also said that it’s coming out sooner than expected. This doesn’t necessarily narrow down the release window (which hasn’t even been provided) but it does indicate that there won’t be a 10 year development cycle like Final Fantasy 15.

Wow, okay, then may we won't be waiting until late 2022 like I expected...

2021 is more likely time for FFXIV's 4th expansion provided Covid disruptions haven't thrown their plans dramatically off-course. I don't think two major FF releases by the same Creative Business Unit in the same year make sense. But a Q1 2022 release would make perfect business sense, because it's just prior to the end of Square-Enix's next fiscal year (again, barring any complications rendered by having to work around the pandemic).

It's worth noting that their next fiscal year (ending 31 March 2022) would look very barren otherwise. Compare it to this fiscal year: FFVII Remake was released at the very start, and they did put out Marvel's Avengers as their two heavy hitters.

Last edited:
An earlier release would be a great thing! I see a lot of fans now starting to get their hopes up for a release as early as 2021, but I don't think a release as early as that seems likely. But who knows? Maybe Square Enix had an especially productive 2020 contrary to most of the human race.

Although this news might even be partially worrying for those unconvinced by its character/setting designs so far, as it might mean that the game will not get that polishing hoped for. This might truly be its aesthetics.

Or maybe, probably and hopefully, the real reason is a simple case of them holding back in the trailer. They didn't want to show us too much. We didn't actually see many wide shots of landscapes or stunning cities in the trailer. It doesn't mean we won't see incredible locations in the game. They're probably just not relying on it in the game's early marketing.

Although this news might even be partially worrying for those unconvinced by its character/setting designs so far, as it might mean that the game will not get that polishing hoped for. This might truly be its aesthetics.

I'm half surprised, half unsurprised.

There was a large part of me that thought it was in early development given the lack of overall footage, and what was shown looked very similar throughout. However, part of me also thought after the reveal trailer that it looks a fairly early PS4 development (I think I mentioned it in the news thread); so if the game has been in development for four years, that would definitely explain the graphics. That said, the graphics aren't overly relevant to me as long as the game itself is excellent - using PS3 NieR as an example, it was nowhere near the best game visually, but it was a brilliant game nonetheless.

Agreed with Linnaete that it could be early 2022, if the game has been in development for four years.

I could see a Q1 2022 release for FFXVI, Q1/Q2 2023 release for FFVIIR Pt. 2 and another Kingdom Hearts title to pad the back end of 2022 or 2023.

Some updates from Yoshida today concerning feedback for the trailer and about the graphics.

He pretty much confirms everything everyone has said about them only using in-game assets instead of relying on a flashy trailer of false promises. He seems really grounded about it and it is quite refreshing.

"It is a trailer which doesn't show off any selling points yet"
This is key for me. A lot of people have been concerned about things we haven't seen yet, so this admission is promising. They will definitely be coming.
I do think there was one huge selling point in the teaser trailer though: Phoenix!

It's also lovely that we should expect a teaser website at the end of October. Hopefully we'll learn the protagonist's name!

Those who are born as Dominants cannot escape their fate, however cruel it may be

Link is up! Lot's of lore information and character information.

I am Clive, I am become death.

A nice website to visit and learn of the Kingdoms
1603965722544.png

The Kingdom of Waloed - Their Flag seems to have the Thunder Summon/Eikon Ixion (From FFX!) Or maybe Odin? I say more Ixion as I get the impression Elements are key to the Summons / Eikons of this world and Odin never had an Element as such... ... Just Death :P

1603965829968.png

The Holy Empire of Sanbreque - I'm guessing this is Shiva's Region - Though on second thought it sort of looks like a Summoner and a dragon like creature, so maybe leviathan?

Also dig the new drawing - Certainly get DMC4 vibes with the arm:
1603965973419.png

Last edited:
The Kingdom of Waloed - Their Flag seems to have the Thunder Summon/Eikon Ixion (From FFX!) Or maybe Odin? I say more Ixion as I get the impression Elements are key to the Summons / Eikons of this world and Odin never had an Element as such... ... Just Death :P

As much as I’d love for it to be Ixion, I think it is definitely looking more likely to be Odin as the Eikon of Waloed.

The horse in the banner has six legs, like Sleipnir in its Final Fantasy iterations. It also looks like the Gungnir spear is depicted in the left section of the central shield/coat of arms.

Having said that, only some of the horses legs are distinct and complete as anatomical legs, the rest are more blended/stylised representations. If it is Ixion, it could also fit because we could imagine Ixion's wheel that he was tortured on in Greek mythology. There's a gear-like shape on the bottom right too. I'd say that may itself be a tortured stretch, however. That aspect is more likely to represent industry and technology in Waloed.

With the other things considered I'd still say that Odin seems more likely. Additionally, that the continent ruled by Waloed is called Ash could be significant here since the world tree Yggdrasil was imagined sometimes as an ash tree.

As for Odin's element. If he has one, sometimes his element is ‘Dark’. As a god of death, that is fitting. I'd speculate a similar angle in FFXVI.

As much as I’d love for it to be Ixion, I think it is definitely looking more likely to be Odin as the Eikon of Waloed.

The horse in the banner has six legs, like Sleipnir in its Final Fantasy iterations. It also looks like the Gungnir spear is depicted in the left section of the central shield/coat of arms.

Having said that, only some of the horses legs are distinct and complete as anatomical legs, the rest are more blended/stylised representations. If it is Ixion, it could also fit because we could imagine Ixion's wheel that he was tortured on in Greek mythology. There's a gear-like shape on the bottom right too. I'd say that may itself be a tortured stretch, however. That aspect is more likely to represent industry and technology in Waloed.

With the other things considered I'd still say that Odin seems more likely. Additionally, that the continent ruled by Waloed is called Ash could be significant here since the world tree Yggdrasil was imagined sometimes as an ash tree.

As for Odin's element. If he has one, sometimes his element is ‘Dark’. As a god of death, that is fitting. I'd speculate a similar angle in FFXVI.

It feels like Odin to me too - the Slephir reference on the flag, the presence of the spear on the flag, hell, even the colour palette just reminds me of Odin; also, Odin is a thunder/lightning elemental summon in FF XIII so it's not like he hasn't been portrayed like that before (which is somewhat important, seeing as they're going down the "Eikons are representations of the elements" thing). Then again, I'm probably biased!

It would be cool if it was Ixion though; I always did like that summon in FF X...

EDIT: Another thing I forgot to mention: with these references to Ifrit being a "dark Eikon", it makes me doubt the idea of a potential "Odin" Eikon having the element of "Dark".

Last edited:
It feels like Odin to me too - the Slephir reference on the flag, the presence of the spear on the flag, hell, even the colour palette just reminds me of Odin; also, Odin is a thunder/lightning elemental summon in FF XIII so it's not like he hasn't been portrayed like that before (which is somewhat important, seeing as they're going down the "Eikons are representations of the elements" thing). Then again, I'm probably biased!

It would be cool if it was Ixion though; I always did like that summon in FF X...

EDIT: Another thing I forgot to mention: with these references to Ifrit being a "dark Eikon", it makes me doubt the idea of a potential "Odin" Eikon having the element of "Dark".

I've been wondering about the 'dark Eikon' thing. I wonder if there are actually two Eikons per element: one light and one dark.

When Phoenix fights Ifrit, the scared knight who hasn't been given a name yet in the Japanese version of the trailer (as translated by the translator called Audrey) seems to be crying out in confusion about there being two fire Eikons active at the same time. He seems to be alarmed and thinks it to be impossible.

So that suggests to me the possibility of a plot point emerging where each crystal can power two Eikons under certain concerning conditions. The light Eikon of fire would presumably be Phoenix and Ifrit would be the dark Eikon of fire.

If true, then that could mean we'd get to see two of each element, which could be cool. If Waloed's crystal's element is lightning and is Odin, then that leaves room for Ixion after all!

But that might all be completely wrong.

Some interesting statements by Yoshida during a recent radio appearance.

Essentially:
  • Final Fantasy XVI is quite action-oriented. It’s a Final Fantasy featuring story and action
  • (What about players who aren’t good at action games?) We really want players to enjoy the story, so we’re preparing a mode for players who want to focus on story. Since we have quite the substantial support actions, we’re of course preparing something easy to operate and smooth to play. Don’t worry too much (players who aren’t good at action games.)
  • I’m from the generation that has been playing the Final Fantasy series from the first game in real-time—I’m almost in my 50s. I think the Warriors of Light have grown up in their own worlds, so I want to create a world of Final Fantasy that those who know the good and bad of reality can also be passionate about. I believe there are certain hardships that are experienced when becoming an adult, so I want to make the main theme of this game something that those who grew up playing Final Fantasy and understand reality can still enjoy, get something out of, and think about.

So I guess we were right to expect dark, heavy-hitting plot points.

FFXVI is ripe for speculation right now but there is much which can be said with some confidence.

My friend and fellow mythology fan, M.J. Gallagher, has created an excellent video about the Kingdom of Waloed and its probable connection with Norse mythology. Those of us deeply into Final Fantasy's use of mythology should definitely give it a watch!

Back