Final Fantasy XVI "Ambition" trailer; an introduction to the world & the Eikons

FFXVI trailer 3 1.jpg

Who shall claim their fading light?
From a single spark, will the land ignite
A new shadow rises to fall upon the Dominants,
painting their destinies black as night.

It has been fifteen hundred years since the fall of our forebears, and Valisthea has been slowly dying ever since. Darkness spreads as day gives way to twilight, the Mothers’ flame now all but a flicker. And as the fringes fade, the people flock to the Mothercrystals.

FFXVI trailer 3 2.jpg FFXVI trailer 3 3.jpg FFXVI trailer 3 5.jpg

Last edited:
Linnaete

Linnaete

Honestly, I found the trailer a little underwhelming... There is a lot of content shown here and it depicts the worlds realms well but I just wasn't that captiviated by it. It's very Hard-Fantasy (At least in tone) I was already getting bored of hearing the Kingdoms of Blah-Blah as they were announced. It does sort of make me concerend that this is going to be a heavily political story much like XII...

They still haven't sold me on the main characters and their journey. FF at it's peak has character driven stories and I am starting to get worried that there isn't much to Clyde as a character... Hopefully another trailer prior to release and change my mind...

The Eikon's look interesting at least and I like the idea of the power balance of the world wound around them.

It's interesting that they're doing another straight fantasy game, but everything about the game just screams rather generic to me.

Granted, I'm more of a retro fan anyway, so this was probably never going to appeal to me on more than a surface level. But nothing in the trailer managed to make me reconsider at all.

Hmm that's possible. Would be an interesting plot point. Right now I personally think dark ifrit is more of just a metaphorical thing. Like Clive battling the darkness within himself to gain full control over ifrit. But I could be totally wrong, just seems like a common trope in anime related stuff

Quite possible. Even within the Final Fantasy franchise, heroes who have dark pasts and end up fighting that philosophical concept of darkness made manifest in a physical form (thus rendered possible to defeat) is a recurring trope.

Not too long now to find out, relatively speaking.

Back