FINAL FANTASY XIII Soundtrack

Overall as a whole I think the soundtrack is very good. There hasn't been a game where I can say that I hate all the music they put on it. I could possibly see myself getting the OST for this game, and adding to my collection.

I quite like the FFXIII OST. The battle themes in particular were very good. Admittedly, there were some I couldn't stand, like the Vile Peaks music, and some music was just a remix of another track, but FFXII's didn't stand out to me at all, being very repetitive and slightly boring. FFXIII's music was very good.

I refuse to give Masashi Hamauzu any credit due to the fact that this did not sound like a FINAL FANTASY Soundtrack; I could have been playing any game with this Soundtrack. XII is a classic F.F. Soundtrack.

Actually, I disagree. Though, the FFXII OST is my personal favorite I can't say that it's any similar to any of the past FF games, save Tactics and Tactics Advance series (Sakimoto composed those as well). And those are counted as spin offs. You can hear a lot of Mashashi in FFX. The way I see it, FFXII and XIII are way different from the Final Fantasy a lot of gamers grew up knowing. And with good reason (That being the departure of Hironobu Sakaguchi from SE).

But I pretty much prefer the approach they took with XII rather than with XIII.

Back to the topic; XIII's soundtrack, although technically good, was not all that special. Whereas XII's soundtrack from the musician's perspective was much superior. And of course, that's all just according to my personal opinion.

EDIT: I just wanted to state that this particular piece impressed me:

The melody in 1:30~ superb

Last edited:
I think that the OST just went fine with the game. It fit what the game is. The music and the game sucked in my opinion, but apparently Final Fantasy is an action packed futuristic half adventure instead of an RPG. I did like one or two of the songs but that is it. Allot of the pieces were fast paced and ravey, hard to think that they were made by an orchestra instead of a computer.

I actually thought it was the best soundtrack yet. Although there is one track I'm not too keen on....I think it's the Sunleth Waterscape, sounds like it shoud be played in an elevator or something.:confused:

Last edited:
I think the soundtrack has been quite bright actually, The Gapra Whitewood theme being the stand out track definitely. The songs aren't as catchy as some other FF titles, but if you carefully listen, its not hard to appreciate the instrumental composition.

I loved the soundtrack, and I was only disappointed with the fact it did not include the true prelude that has been in every game before now.

There are some songs that I tend to skip over when I'm just listening to the music. But to me, this soundtrack in general is pretty memorable. This is one of the few (like IV) where I can hum a song to myself while not having played the game in a while. I find myself humming Serah's Theme and Chocobos of Pulse.

I definitely like some of the jazzy pieces that are on the soundtrack. Sazh's Theme is pretty neat and original (kinda like Shadow's spaghetti western styled theme) for a FF soundtrack.

I like Saber's Edge, Blinded by Light, The Promise and In the Sky that Night (I think it's in the sky that night). The rest, I agree was not so great. Especially the "hotel" or "elevator" music in Yaschas Massif (though it was nice and funny at first). The soundtrack is alright, I would only buy some of the songs (which I did) but not all.

I love the soundtrack, even though it doesn't resemble Nobou's style all that much, I really enjoyed tracks like Fabula Nova Crystallis, Nascent Requiem, the... Blue forest song (forget what that place was called), but all the music in that game was great. But sometimes tracks WERE overused throughout the game and they didn't seem as much of a treat, and eventually lost their touch.

I loved the soundtrack of the game.......and even though it wasn't as good as previous FF's.....I feel this game has the least annoying tracks.

There's always been an FF for me thats had a few annoying tracks....some you grow to hate.....But for FFXIII I've never got bored of any of the tunes in the game. Though there isn't one I have an obbsesion over (except maybe the main tune)......its good.

I'd give it a 9/10
Thanks Masashi (y)

I really like EOP (the one that was playing with Vanille and Sazh on the rooftop), Hopes theme, the battle theme, and the opening theme.... i really liked the music overall for this game.. LIke I do most final fantasies..

Not the best FF soundtrack out there, but definitely not the worst. Some of the mix-ups were pretty good, and sure it gets annoying here and there, but overall I like the soundtrack. Some of my favorite tracks consist of "Blinded By Light", "Prelude to Final Fantasy XIII", "Hope's Theme", "Vanille's theme", "Daddy's Got the Blues", "Lightning's theme", "Serah's theme", "The Promise", "The Cradle Will Fall", "Ragnarok", "The Sunleth Waterscape", "Miracles/Final Fantasy XIII - Miracles", Kimi ga Irukara(LOng Version)".

I give credit to Masashi :highfive:

It may not have been the most memorable soundtrack in the series, but it definitely has the best battle theme (Blinded by Light), and other songs like the Barthandelus battle song (fighting fate) and the Oerba song (Dust to dust) were really epic tunes.

Tbh, the soundtrack was one of the few great things about this game...

Didn't Masashi say this was his last game he's going to compose for Square?? He did a great job in this one, I can't remember who said their leaving Square. Definetily one of the best battle themes, and I love the Chocobo Theme!

Sadly yes :cry: he has left.....for his own studio MONOMUSIK

Also I thought most people hated the battle theme :confused:

People who hate the music of this game are just pissed off Masashi did it instead of Nobou.....And that it abandoned many traditional tunes such most notably victory tune and FF theme tune. :hmph:

I'm pretty confident FFXIII versus and FFXIII-2 (if not Nobou) will get the same reaction as this.

Well that sucks, I'm very fond of most of his work. Will they use the same music in FFXIII-2?? Or maybe just some slight remixes, I really don't know.

Well that sucks, I'm very fond of most of his work. Will they use the same music in FFXIII-2?? Or maybe just some slight remixes, I really don't know.

I doubt they'd use the same music, the soundtrack in FFX-2 was completely different to FFX, plus it would just be pure laziness and a bit of a cop out. They'll probably use the same person who's doing the music for Versus XIII (Wild guess)

If they did use Shimomura, I'd be extremely happy!! I love Masashi's work, but Shimomura's a lot more!

The Main Theme is one of my favorites, no I don't mean the one that they use a lot in different areas (Gran Pulse, but I do love the song) I mean the one they use when you wait long enough on the Main Menu

Well X-2 was entirely different attitude-wise (Yuna) and the main theme........so who knows.
But in FFVII spin-offs they do have remixes of the original......I wouldn't mind some more remixes along with a few new tracks.

Also the FFXIII-2 trailer I kind of liked the (short) music leading into when Lightning gets her sword out......Don't know what kind of styke that music is.
I dont know much about Shimomura but the versus music so far in the trailers sound good.....so if it is him its not bad news for me anyways.

But don't forget this game will be "darker" so no pop songs like X-2 HOOORAAY :cheer:

I dont know much about Shimomura but the versus music so far in the trailers sound good.....so if it is him its not bad news for me

I don't know if I read this wrong, but Shimomura is a woman

It wouldn't be too bad if they remixed a couple songs, FFXIII has a bunch that don't need to be remixed.

Back