Final Fantasy VII Rebirth announced for PS5 'available next winter'; Remake project will encompass three games

Screenshot 2022-06-16 at 23.29.55.png

Square Enix was hardly going to conclude their Final Fantasy VII 25th anniversary celebration stream without disclosing a teaser for the next highly anticipated game in the Final Fantasy VII Remake series! Fortunately, newly appointed Final Fantasy series producer, Yoshinori Kitase, was more than happy to announce the second game in the trilogy: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth. It will be available "next winter" (meaning anywhere between very late 2023 to early 2024) for PlayStation 5.

Yes, you read that correctly. The stream announced that the series spawned by Final Fantasy VII Remake back in 2020 is a trilogy consisting of three games, of which Rebirth is the second volume. The Twin Towers to The Lord of the Rings, suffice to say. Or, as the credits in Remake stated, this marks the continuation of "the Unknown Journey", where...okay, if anyone has yet to play Final Fantasy VII Remake to its conclusion, I suggest you do so, as it carries enormously heavy implications and realities for what the rest of the trilogy will be exploring.

For now, enjoy watching Cloud and Sephiroth having a leisurely stroll towards what is presumably the Nibelheim Mako Reactor at Mt. Nibel, just on the outskirts of Cloud's and Tifa's hometown, Nibelheim.

Last edited:
Linnaete

Linnaete

Well if anyone had any doubt about the next title not changing things up drastically... this trailer confirms it - This is not the Final Fantasy VII we know. I'm personally okay this this... I thnk. I've become a bit fed up of the onslaught of Remakes we've had lately and certainly don't feel the need for something like The Last of US Part 1 on PS5 - While presenting the game on a better graphics engine is nice... I'm content with the original experience upscaled.

While I am onboard with changing the story, I just hope it turns out well... don't present us with Meta concepts for Meta's sake, make it mean something!

The trailer while presenting th concept of change was fine but hardly exciting. What's odd is that it talks about forgetting the past, yet all the content we see seems to be set in the past! :blink: Of course the Nibelheim/5 Years ago story is one of the best moments in the OG I think that at least will be faithfully presented.

It's going to be a LONG wait... stil lat least they set their plans on the table and have stated that the project will have 3 entries in total, be nice if we got the last part by 2026... :oy:

Once again, Square Enix wants to remind people that this is going to be a different game. it's not a remake, but rather part 1 was called remake, this is now an alternate story.

Like Vivi-Gamer said, i don't want the changes in story to be for the sake of meta. I also don't want them to do it for "new" sake. If this is the direction they want to take FF7, it has to be fulfilling. It has to be more interesting rather than less.

I highly suspect that somehow Aerith is going to survive while Tifa is going to die. i found it extremely off-putting how much Tifa focus we had in Part 1. But only 3 parts? lets hope Square Enix learned their lesson and avoid excessive padding.

I'm very curious of what this Rebirth will give to us.
How much the story will be different from OG and which things will they keep ?
This sure will be an excellent game
While I'm here happy birthday to FFF a bit late :)

Well if anyone had any doubt about the next title not changing things up drastically... this trailer confirms it - This is not the Final Fantasy VII we know. I'm personally okay this this... I thnk. I've become a bit fed up of the onslaught of Remakes we've had lately and certainly don't feel the need for something like The Last of US Part 1 on PS5 - While presenting the game on a better graphics engine is nice... I'm content with the original experience upscaled.

Somewhat off topic, but I'm honestly convinced they'll modify The Last of Us Part 1's narrative to wire up better with what they did in Part 2 - specifically the last act, where the thing that ties into Part 2 will be made clearer, definite and more important... which sort of ruins the ending of Part 1 as a one shot story, which Is how I enjoyed it... ANYWAYS:

==================================================================================================================================

I'm happy to see that the trajectory of the remake series has veered off course from a shot-for-shot remake; it reminds me of the Rebuild of Evangelion film series which, if you allow me to venture into weeb territory, has done basically same thing to NGE; I found the changes incredibly fufilling in a way that I felt the original NGE lacked. As someone who found the original FF VII quite boring, this is fun. I don't really have the same ties to characters though so I can enjoy that aspect (whereas some mega fans of FF VII can't).

The lack of quality that sidequests in Remake had left me very much unimpressed, which makes me rather fearful of any "open world" approach they may take.

Still, I'll probably buy it either way.

I can go with Tifa potentially being an imposter ;)
You were my first thought at that point in the trailer. I knew you would like that. It is almost as if Square Enix have read and loved your theory and worked it into the game. Or perhaps it was there all along? Even if this ends up being a throwaway remark, it opens it up to interpretation and I like that.

I meant to comment on this and link to your theory earlier but I've been really busy and lost track of time.
For the benefit of other members, this is Molosev's discussion on this predating the trailer by almost two years.

I have a lot to say about this trailer, and much I'll end up saying later, likely.

The 'Rashomon effect'/unreliable narrator aspect of the Nibelheim incident is one of my favourite things in the compilation. We pretty much always see it differently each time, and now they’ve thrown a new curveball with this statement. Wow.

Apparently it is more ambiguous in the Japanese text, but that the English localisation has gone with that angle is fascinating in itself.

Back