FFXIII-2 Discussion Thread

Final Fantasy XIII-2 needs to be pretty much the opposite of Final Fantasy XIII imo. The battle system either needs scrapping for a new one entirely or needs to be radically reformed, there's only so much button mashing you can do in a supposed "RPG" title. Plus, the paradigm system was pretty flawed, having read the guide there's loads of different paradigms you can choose from, but once I got into the "open" bit of the game I pretty much stuck with the same 3/4 paradigms throughout the rest of the game.

Which comes to the "open" problem, Final Fantasy XIII-2 needs to be way, way, way less linear. FFXIII never truly opens up, once you leave the archylte steppe every other path off it becomes linear again. There needs to be more exploration in Final Fantasy XIII-2 rather than being told where you have to go. There needs to be more things to do outside of the main story too, if you take away the trophies/achievements then there was pretty much nothing to do in FFXIII other than the missions, and they take relatively little time and were easy.

That brings the difficulty into play, FFXIII was far too easy even without having to develop the crystarium system too much. There were too many save points - there was one literally every other corner. The retry option needs to be wiped too, that's what made the game easier than anything else, if you died you could literally restart from the same point. The enemies need to be stronger too, Vercingetorix was easy to 5-star and didn't need high leveled equipment and realistically it should have been the hardest boss.

Towns need to be added too, there needs to be some sort of NPC interaction somewhere to split up the whole -cutscene-save-run-save-battle-save-cutscene-save- etc. Plus I prefer going to a town and individual shops to buy equipment rather than run to the nearest save point and being able to get everything from one place.

The ediolons too need to be developed imo. I found them pretty useless other than to bring down the Adamantortoise and even then, the characters themselves tended to do more damage.

They need proper bosses too. Cid Raines imo wasn't technically a 'villain' and wasn't developed anywhere near as much as he could have been. Jihl was probably the worst villain in the history of Final Fantasy apart from
Orphan
. Yaag was kinda okay but again was undeveloped. Barthandelus popped up now and again to move the story on but didn't do much else and
Orphan
was the most pointless addition I've ever seen.

And for the love of God do something different when it comes to grinding and making money. Having to farm ONE monster had to be the most boring thing ever when it came to FFXIII.

Change all that and I'm good. :dave:

The characters and storyline are personal to each individual so there's not much I can really say on that.

Yeah but also again people complain of too much cutscenes (which the story is meant to be told in:hmmm:). But it wasn't in this case........In FFXIII most of the cutscene were about whinging about some pointless thing rather than explaining it. Even though I'm grateful for the datalog,I'm pissed off that SE had so many cutscenes but decided not to explain the story in them........they rather preferred showing Hope moaning.However most characters did know what was going on, so no-one really asked questions........But in previous FF's, FFX mainly there is someone clueless (Tidus :wacky:) and the story is told more better with a clear explanation and no twists.

The cutscenes weren't too bad, reviewers marked down MGS4 because of it but I liked them in MGS4 so... I think the problem with cutscenes in Final Fantasy XIII is whilst some of them were needed to progress the story, sometimes it just seemed a little unnecessary.

For the love of God, why are they hiring the same guy who composed FFXIII's soundtrack? There was the odd gem in there, but more than half of the entire fricking soundtrack was a remix of Blinded by Light, Serah's Theme, Sazh's Theme, or something else. Hire the people who did VIII's music, IX's music, or even X's music. If XIII-2 is remix central, I won't be pleased. At all. Because whatever his name is was lazy. And I, a lover of FFXIII, despised the music about 75% of the time because Masashi whatever his name was just plain lazy with the composition of a track for a main Final Fantasy series game.

For the love of God, why are they hiring the same guy who composed FFXIII's soundtrack? There was the odd gem in there, but more than half of the entire fricking soundtrack was a remix of Blinded by Light, Serah's Theme, Sazh's Theme, or something else. Hire the people who did VIII's music, IX's music, or even X's music. If XIII-2 is remix central, I won't be pleased. At all. Because whatever his name is was lazy. And I, a lover of FFXIII, despised the music about 75% of the time because Masashi whatever his name was just plain lazy with the composition of a track for a main Final Fantasy series game.

Personally I think the music was good........maybe not good in FF standards but ALL of the music of this game was ok at the least (seriously).......Even in previous FF's yes including FFVII-FFX there were tracks which I couldn't cope with and ended up listining to my own music with headphones something I rarely do.........With this game I didn't have a problem with it because the music was good, just not as good as before..........Also Masashi did co-compose FFX with Nobou Uematsu.

Argar251 Yeah like you I do like cutscenes.......But just as you said in FFXIII most were unnecessary if they explained the story more it woulda been better.
But then again some people did complain it was like watching a movie instead of playing a game..........

I disagree. I really enjoyed the FFXIII OST and I'm looking forward to what Masashi has in store for FFXIII-2 ^^

My only peeve with the soundtrack was switching the Japanese song with the English one.

So they're talking about how the battle system will be different in FFXIII-2. I know people had peeves about the original system, but I was more or less happy with it. I liked the speed and I really liked the idea of the simultaneous "job switching" with the Paradigm Shift. I guess the over-all grumbling was not being able to control all your party members. I can understand that annoyance, but how would they keep it fast paced if you could do that (unless they pulled a Star Ocean and had you switch between characters and let the AI control the other party members anyways)?

Personally I think her new outfit is somewhat reminiscent of Joan of Arc. I'm a little hyped, loved XIII so I'm hoping this doesn't turn into a X-2... which was the game that never happened x.x
IDK, I'm really wondering how everything is gonna go, I think they are going to try really hard for this one considering their profits are down 92%? was it? should not have made an MMO... again... We shall see. Gonna love to see a medieval twist. Medieval + Technology in terms of style is one of my favs

I wasn't a fan of the Final Fantasy XIII soundtrack, admittedly. There were no tracks in it that immediately stood out to me, the pieces seemed to lack depth and emotion. I don't know whether in the end that was the guys aim or whether he just doesn't really know how to apply emotional pieces, but it was lacking.

The FFXIII soundtrack is good, but in my opinion, still lost to uematsu's composition in the older games. Although remixing is seen a lot, this is actually quite common in older FFs. In ff8, eyes on me and ami are remixed a lot, same goes for melodies of life and suteki da ne in ff9 and 10. But it seems that serah's theme is abused too much in this game. It's heard everywhere. Even though I like it, I expected more creativity. For ffxiii-2, I hope that there will be many new soundtrack and very little remixes from the previous game.

I still cant believe its happening! I didnt think the game had done well enough to get a sequel and from what I can remember the last time SE did a sequel, it wasnt recieved well.

And yeah her outfit is very Joan of Arc!

I still cant believe its happening! I didnt think the game had done well enough to get a sequel and from what I can remember the last time SE did a sequel, it wasnt recieved well.

And yeah her outfit is very Joan of Arc!

Nah.......I don't think you can just brush aside a sequel just because the game is crap. Sequels are made to continue the story,and FFXIII story is probably one of the best in the series. (Whether you understand it or not).

But I do agree on the part where SE are sequel fuck-ups!

I never understood why people kill X-2, it wasn't meant to be FFX again. It was intended to be poppy/peppy. The thing I thought x-2 did well was fill in lots of backstory for X and that is what I am hoping xiii-2 does too.

Nah I reckon FFXIII-2 will be about the new found civilization the dudes from Cocoon will build on Pulse , similar to the way the denizens of Spira made there world advanced(kinda) after the fall of Yevon.

Plus some other major story that features the main characters and the new guy would Ace.

Last edited:
I dont think they are going to
rebuild Cocoon.
Sazh is
evacuating everyone on Cocoon to Pulse.
That makes sense since they are making
new life on Pulse.
It will start like this. We will probably see the end of XIII as an extended version like in Episode I. Showing Serah
crying as Lightning disappears.
Like I said the main focus at some point in the game will be to rescue
crystalised Fang and Vanille.
Just remember that Sazh is becoming a
pilot and has Dajh with him(probably older)

Maybe some misinterpretation there?

I meant to say they would build a new civilization in Pulse:ryan: I just hope that the prediction of rescuing Fang and Vanille doesnt end up taking the entire game to complete? It would be nice to use them during the actual adventure.

Maybe some misinterpretation there?

I meant to say they would build a new civilization in Pulse:ryan: I just hope that the prediction of rescuing Fang and Vanille doesnt end up taking the entire game to complete? It would be nice to use them during the actual adventure.

Well considering Fang and Vanille are
crystalised
Lightning and whoever else(Other FF XIII characters) will probably rescue them sometime near the end. Fang and Vanille as playable characters? Oh I dont know about that... depends if the main focus is rescuing them. But since Etro will be a really big part of the game I imagine the main focus would change. :hmmm:

lol, I still don't really know what to expect from Etro. Maybe it will be like Minerva from Crisis Core where fighting her is a sidequest or something, but canonically get's 30 seconds of face time in the game :wacky:

It would be nice to see Lightning dealing with whatever happens to her and rejoins the others to rescue you-know-who. It could be like 2 stories in one game.

Also, to be honest, I really don't care about Serah being a playable character. I wouldn't oppose it, but I just can't see it happening it either. Snow in his well-meaning protective, but slightly sexist way wouldn't want Serah to fight. But goodness, please don't make her someone to rescue again -__-

Nah.......people building a new civlisation on pulse? FFXIII-2 as far as I'm aware takes place after FFXIII up to episode 1(where people are still tryna rescue people from cocoon). If they were to build a new civilisation for us to discover in XIII-2 the game would have to at least forwarded 2 years.

@Fusionist yeah I like the idea of 2 stories in one........and I'm curious about the godess Etro who they say the story is going to be based around. But remember FF stories usually have a "save the world" plot.......And Etro as far as I'm aware is a friendly god.......:hmmm:

But anyways I'm hoping they rescue Vannile and Fang mid-game and then go out to save the world
once again, even though they didn't really do it propely last time. :wacky:

I'm also hoping that Fang and Vanille will be rescued mid-game. It would be nice to play them again :3
And about whether or not the other original characters will be brought back - in an interview the producer told us that many of the old cast will come back along with new characters, so that's good to know. But then he also said that some will be back
in surprising and different forms, which led me to wonder if fang and vanille, when rescued, will actually be non-human, godlike even.
(though I certainly hope not because I quite like them human!)

EXTREMELY excited for this game, though I have yet to get a ps3, and trying not to keep my expectations too high :mrgreen:

Nah.......I don't think you can just brush aside a sequel just because the game is crap. Sequels are made to continue the story,and FFXIII story is probably one of the best in the series. (Whether you understand it or not).

But I do agree on the part where SE are sequel fuck-ups!

Im not brushing it aside, Ive not completed it yet. Im just saying I didnt think it was well recieved by the Final Fantasy fans.

Back