FFVII Remake General Discussion

Hey everyone! I just finished Remake and am about to start Hard Mode. I threw together a no-spoiler mini-review that takes less than 3 minutes to watch.

Let me know if you enjoy the format! Also, I'd love some tips on how to survive Hard Mode

I really like that format. Reminding people that the video is short enough for people to watch during a bathroom break makes it more likely that people will bother commit to watching it then and there rather than putting it off and forgetting about it.

I also found it very humorous, entertaining and informative, yet appropriately succinct. Good job. :)

As for hard mode tips... I have only just completed the game on normal and have yet to attempt hard mode myself. That's the next thing I'll do, probably! I've heard it is particularly tough.

So then. There's something I've been pondering.

Final Fantasy XIII, released in 2010, received a lot of criticism for its linearity and poor storytelling.

Final Fantasy XV, released in 2016, received a lot of criticism for being an unfinished mess with dismal combat.

Final Fantasy VII Remake, released in 2020, which combines all of these elements from XIII and XV into one package, receives no criticism and critical acclaim.

How our standards have fallen, and how quickly we forget when our favourite characters show up on the screen. My, oh my.

Would have to disagree with the comparisons to XIII and XV re linearity, poor storytelling, dismal combat & unfinished mess.

In terms of linearity, Final Fantasy XIII certainly had very linear map designs, but the overall criticism back on release - in hindsight - was certainly overzealous (which I too was guilty of, admittedly) and deflected its other flaws. Linearity in games isn't a bad thing in itself; in fact, some of the highest rated titles of the current generation are linear. The problem with linearity is when it is coupled with other major problems - Final Fantasy XIII's linearity problem was that the rest of the game was relatively bland and unmemorable. Having just finished Final Fantasy VIII Remake and starting Final Fantasy XIII-2, other than the odd flashback / reference, I realise how little I actually remember of Final Fantasy XIII given I probably put 100+ hours into it. Looking back, I don't think Final Fantasy XIII was a terrible game and was probably a mediocre 6.5 or 7 out of 10, but it had significant flaws.

Final Fantasy VII Remake is linear and doesn't have a huge amount to do outside of the storyline, but as someone who never played the original, I thought the storyline, pacing and character development were excellent, so the linearity was largely irrelevant. I did play the original Final fantasy VII up to meeting Red XIII alongside my hard mode (second) playthrough on the Remake, and found the original is very linear up until that point anyway, so I'm not sure why anyone would think the portion of the original that is covered by the Remake wouldn't be linear.

I can't speak in regards to Final Fantasy XV being an unfinished mess or dismal combat as it is still in my backlog to play, but again, I don't think either point is a reflection on the Final Fantasy VII Remake. I found the combat to be excellent and having put 126 hours into the game, I don't think there was any point I found the battle system boring - there were boring points having to grind AP, but grinding is boring in virtually every game. Square Enix did an excellent job in balancing the combat, particularly in hard mode, and introducing the level cap meant you had to setup correctly and play the game far more strategically in hard mode; it is one of the few games that I've actually had to utilise the majority of what a battle system has to offer rather than rely on what I was comfortable - to a much greater extent in hard mode than in easy or normal mode. The only gripe I have regarding the combat and battle system is that the three toughest fights I had personally: Three Person Team vs. Top Secrets, Sephiroth & Hell House (in that order) all felt artificially difficult rather than genuinely hard. Top Secrets (Bahamut/Ifrit) throws in megaflare, (Sephiroth) throws in divine proclamation - both with countdowns which cause mass damage and in the case of the latter, instant game over. I have always found countdowns a cheap way to make a battle more difficult, especially when it's reliant on how quickly you can get it finished. Hell House is slightly different, but throwing out multiple Tonberries for an instant knockout as well as Cutter & Sweeper again made it simply about speed.

I thought it was a very well put together game, too. It wasn't by any means perfect and I think I would have like to have seen more variation in the sidequests and possibly a few more harder fights in the Colosseum and Combat Simulator (other than vs. Top Secrets). I would be very happy if I were a part of the Square Enix team that worked on the Remake. As a Final Fantasy VII first-timer, I absolutely felt that a lot of care and attention went into the game, rather than a lazy cash-grab based on its name and popularity that it could have been.

Afternoon all,

Just thought I would drop my thoughts on the game here. In summary, I thought the game was a pretty decent upgrade for visuals, game play, music, and overall CGI cut scenes. The character development was also great. The story arch was good, but definitely had some curve balls. Overall I will give it a 9/10.

What resonates with me about this game was it did not stray too far off the path with the extras within Midgar itself. Keeping most if not all of the original beginning of Disc 1 was something I was afraid they would be dissuaded from. I think finally telling more of Avalanches story as well as each of Midgar's slum sectors was the best approach. I think however there are still a lot of unknowns but that is the SE way. Jessie, Biggs and Wedge finally had their backstories filled in a bit more with color.

I felt the combat was a bit one sided for some players. While everyone had a key component to the group, it felt like Aerith and Cloud were just too good. I get it Cloud has
Jenova Cells
, but come on. Aerith went from using her staff to bonk people on the head, to literally using it as a ranged ability. I could distract with any other character and use her Abilities to crush my opponents. While this sounds like a complaint, it isn't because I do remember stuff becoming more powerful.

I had three not so fun complaints. The first that comes to mind was locking the gamer into a linear path once more. I felt like the exploration (very little) was sort of set in stone and the side quests left very little the imagination. I felt like there were so few secrets, if any, to discover. I was only okay with all this, because we are only just leaving Midgar at the end. The second complaint I had was locking the gamer into New Game+ and no ability to go back and complete a failed quest. I know first time through, I never once used a guide online. I missed two quests overall and a few summons at that. My plan was to go back and do them once I got through a bit more story, but nope, quest failed. I don't like that linear path of screwing the gamer over for not following the gaming logic. The last complaint I had were the Limit Breaks. While the progression didn't make sense, the thing that really pissed me off, was the fact Tifa didn't chain her Limit Break with roulette style. Also I guess winning a competition in the Market Place at the Coliseum, sort of felt, too easy. While gaining abilities was the old way to get Limit Breaks. (use vs handed to you)

Now back to what I loved them most. I loved the immersive story telling the most. The new characters were a bonus, but of course some confused me. I won't go into which I liked the most, but I felt myself becoming drawn into Avalanche more and more. I felt empathetic/sympathetic when sector 7 plate fell. I had more connection with all of the side characters than I did with Cloud primarily. Cloud has yet to really have his story told. (get glimpses).

There were a few things I'd like to get clarification on but those would result in spoilers, so I'll leave it at that. I will say though, I'm ready for the story of Niblehime and Cosmo Canyon. RedXIII was amazing in this, but still wish I could have played him.

Thanks, and as always....

~ Shu

I had three not so fun complaints. The first that comes to mind was locking the gamer into a linear path once more. I felt like the exploration (very little) was sort of set in stone and the side quests left very little the imagination. I felt like there were so few secrets, if any, to discover. I was only okay with all this, because we are only just leaving Midgar at the end.

I love what we received in the game, but I do wish we could have seen more of Midgar. I know that might sound a bit selfish considering that we already received so much, but what we saw was so good that I really am anxious to see what other Sectors look like. I would love to explore more of the topside of the plate in particular, so some free-roaming would have been brilliant.

But I can also understand that the plot probably couldn't allow for that. Avalanche had to be quite particular about where they travelled so that they didn't flag any security checks, etc.

The second complaint I had was locking the gamer into New Game+ and no ability to go back and complete a failed quest. I know first time through, I never once used a guide online. I missed two quests overall and a few summons at that. My plan was to go back and do them once I got through a bit more story, but nope, quest failed. I don't like that linear path of screwing the gamer over for not following the gaming logic.

You should be able to do chapter select so you don't need to replay from the beginning of the entire game. Once you beat the game you can change chapters at any point to complete the quests you haven't done. I know in chapter 9 that there are a few quests which you will always miss in one playthrough because the questline splits depending on how you behave. I managed to complete the ones I missed there by replaying chapter 9.

There were a few things I'd like to get clarification on but those would result in spoilers, so I'll leave it at that. I will say though, I'm ready for the story of Niblehime and Cosmo Canyon. RedXIII was amazing in this, but still wish I could have played him.

These and Barret's backstory at Corel Town are also the main things I am hoping to see in Part 2. :argor:

I'm falling firmly in the "average" camp so far (currently on chapter 6 or so). The biggest joy so far is getting to properly see a bit more of Midgar and getting a better feel for the people there and the economics of the city. However, nothing feels captivating like it did playing the original game. When I played that years ago it was almost un-put-downable and I would play it for hours on end. The remake, however, just doesn't have me in the same way. Maybe it's because I'm older now and I've changed, but I definitely don't have that same desperation to pick it up and get playing again.

Story-wise, I'm enjoying the slight bit of extra depth they've added in. Seeing a lot more of AVALANCHE has been nice, and the building the characters of Biggs and Jessie in particular has been a nice touch. I've found Wedge an annoying prick though so fuck him. The first Reno right (I'm assuming it was the first anyway) in the church was really fun and the most I've struggled so far with the game as it has been the only time so far that I've had to think a step ahead.
Not all of these extras have been good - that weirdo on his motorbike (I can't remember his name for the life of me) is a right nonce and needs his hard drive checking sooner rather than later. His whole character and the mechanics of him seems to be borrowed from a completely different game, or as if Square just couldn't decide what to do to add a new villain.

The battle system is terribly clunky and becomes a bit of a button masher and it has lost a lot of the tactical element that the old ATB system had. Having said that, I am enjoying the range of unique abilities for each character although on the flip side of that, I find having magic at all is almost pointless.

My biggest gripe, as it seems with others, is how little of the game we've gotten. Midgar is, at most, about 20% of the original game and yet the remake cost £60 brand new. If they continue at the same pace we'll have around 6 parts to this game, and a total outlay of about £300. On top of that it's likely that future instalments will be PS5 exclusive, which means another £350 (at least) just to buy the relevant new console. A total of £650 or so is insulting to the consumer, especially when you can download the (superior) original for about £10 now.

Overall I am slightly impressed with it as I have never been pro-remake at all and from all the pre-release stuff I saw I thought it looked pretty wank, so the fact that I have been enjoying it as much as I have, but it is far from the great heights that the original took us to. I also don't see the remake drawing in any new fans to the game.

Reactions: Six
im looking for a specific track that was featured in yesterdays state of play during the announcement of Intergrade. It starts at 4:34. (
)

im looking for a specific track that was featured in yesterdays state of play during the announcement of Intergrade. It starts at 4:34. (
)
Welcome to the forums!

This seems like a jazzed up, new Remake version of Descendant of Shinobi, one of the themes closely associated with Yuffie (to the extent that it can be said to be her character theme). This new version sounds like it might even be a battle theme, if I was to make a guess about it. Perhaps it will play during some battles in the Yuffie DLC.

Maybe Square Enix's way of reminding people of the earlier Yuffie DLC reveal, and also the additional Yuffie spotlight which follows on from it.

1614343834495.png

The PS4 version has just been announced for March's PS Line Up!

Apparently this digital version will not allow people to upgrade to the PS5 version but for PS4 gamers this is another great PS+ Month - Then next month we get Oddworld SoulStorm too! PS+ has been on fire since the PS5 release.

The catch is that this PS Plus version of Final Fantasy VII Remake will not grant you access to the PS5 version of the game. Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade must still be bought separately for $70.
I think what this means is that you won't get the Intergrade version with Yuffie DLC.. but you may get the PS5 enhancements still from owning the PS4 Edition?

Welcome to the forums!

This seems like a jazzed up, new Remake version of Descendant of Shinobi, one of the themes closely associated with Yuffie (to the extent that it can be said to be her character theme). This new version sounds like it might even be a battle theme, if I was to make a guess about it. Perhaps it will play during some battles in the Yuffie DLC.

Maybe Square Enix's way of reminding people of the earlier Yuffie DLC reveal, and also the additional Yuffie spotlight which follows on from it.
thank you for replying ♡ i will listen as soon as i can!

Happy birthday to the FFVII Remake! :O

I cannot believe it has been an entire year since I loaded up the game and was stunned by how wonderful Midgar looks. After my initial playthrough I really wanted to play it again but couldn't find the time. Now, a year later, I really want to play it again. Maybe one of these days.

Anyway I saw someone created this to celebrate and thought it was quite sweet:

Am I missing out if I play this game without first playing the original?

My hands are occupied with FF8 and FF14, so it's not like I have that much free time. And I'm on college as well...

But yeah, if I do buy the remake, what am I missing out on?

Am I missing out if I play this game without first playing the original?

My hands are occupied with FF8 and FF14, so it's not like I have that much free time. And I'm on college as well...

But yeah, if I do buy the remake, what am I missing out on?
Some people play the Remake without having played FFVII and do still enjoy it a lot.

However, part of the magic of the Remake (aside from the talent of the voice cast, graphics, story, and so on) relies on nostalgia for the original. There are lots of Easter eggs to the original FFVII and the wider Compilation titles. I think going into the game blind you might miss out on the significance of some scenes as the context in some places isn't fully explained for new players.

The Remake is only part one of a larger project and covers about the first 1/5 of the original game (approximately, it could be less). The Remake expands the first chapters of the original game into a full title and it does a brilliant job in adapting this material for the modern day whilst keeping the integrity of the original intact for the most part. As a result of this you will not meet many of the characters from the original game (characters outside of Midgar will be introduced in later installments of the Remake project) and there are highly significant story elements which are teased at but do not yet reach their conclusions.

The Remake also deviates from FFVII's original plot in a couple of significant ways, but if I was to expand on that it would be the most spoilery of spoilerish things to do.

So I personally would say that being familiar with the original FFVII certainly puts you at an advantage when it comes to enjoying the Remake and appreciating it at its best. If you are short for time, however, there might be decent summary videos on YouTube, or Let's Plays, or wiki entries. Or you might prefer to go in blind and play the Remake with fresh eyes, but be conscious that you might be waiting a while to understand some of the plotlines introduced.

I write this post because I think it’s fun.
From this site, it’s possible that Aerith is still going to die to be able to summon the Holy. Since Final Fantasy 7 remake part 2 will be completely different from the origin, I’ve just though about a crazy hypothesis for her death scene.
She, Aerith, is impersonated by a woman who decides to be killed by Sephiroth. By the death of this imposter, the real Aerith will be survived while the original timeline of FF7 won’t be broken. This woman is very mysterious, but possible that she’s from another timeline, like the character Ultimecia in FF8. And her story is too long, enough to explain us why she has done that to save Aerith.
Perhaps this theory is never come true in the part 2. But it may be better than other predications like Aerith will sacrifice herself, or she ‘s actual a time traveller. If it comes true, then a trailer will be like this:
In which, the sellotape sound is an act of the woman to make Aerith silent when Cloud and his friends are searching her. Then she turns the record and starts to tell about her reason.
From 0.25 in this track, there is scene that Cloud drops Aerith imposter’s body (he hasn’t known yet) to the lifestream while the real Aerith is standing under the shadow, far from his location and people to be unknown, to see the whole scene of “her death”.
The record of the mysterious woman ends at 0.50. Then, a text layer is shown up like: “From the director of FF7 Advent Children…”
At 1.50, some bosses like “Weapons” are appeared. And at 2.00, the theme of part 2 will come out.

It would appear the Intergrade Expansion is not going to b included on the disc with the PS5 release next month...
It's not like I was intending to get this at launch anyway but I'm fed up with poor DLC management in modern games. This game isn't even new so with a re-release it should include all the content on disc - no questions asked! Yes FFVIIR has a big file size but I'm sure 2 UHD Blurays can contain it - Unless they're cheaping out and cramming all the content on 1 UHD Blu-ray this time?

We had the same crap with NieR Automata's GOTY Edition, the DLC was already out and they still put the DLC on a code for the re-release. This release was meant to be the Definitive version of FFVIIR1... Now I'm even less inclined to buy it - I'll probably hold out until a month before FFVIIR-2 arrives - The ONE good thing I can say about S-E DLC is that they usually have their content on sale on a monthly basis.

For the benefit of those who haven't seen it yet, KupoCon is hosting a free launch stream for Intergrade/Intermission with a variety of the voice actors from the DLC. It will be tomorrow.
After the stream it will remain available to watch at any time.

so thanks for pissing me off square enix, so i'm a pretty poor guy that was super lucky to get a ps4 not to far from th release of the ps5, and only got it because of the remake that was delyed again and again and again, and now it comes out also close to the ps5 release, and now they're telling me after releasing the first part on ps4, i have to some how not only find a ps5 witch is hard as hell to do, but also pay the 5-600$ witch is a full paycheck most times for me to play the rest, why the hell would u release the first part on ps4, and then screw the i'm sure 100's of 1000's of fan's that won't be able to get a ps5 for years if at all, and only release it on ps5, that's a slap in the face even more so then u releasing it in parts to money grab, it really sucks for hardcore fans like me who have put hundreds of hour in ff games and wait like 4 years to play the remake after it was pushed back and pushed back and pushed back, and now is stuck with only the first part cuz you couldn't release it on ps4 give me a break i am very very very disapointed in square enix cuz i have been one of the biggest fans of your ff games to be slapped in the face with not only a money grab of releasing parts of a game for 60 bucks a piece but forced to buy a ps5 that u can't afford for a game you've been waiting litterly years for only to get the first part on ps4 to be told your screwed for the rest of the game unless you blow 600 on a ps5, thanks square enix for dissapointing one of your biggest fans on this planet.

so thanks for pissing me off square enix, so i'm a pretty poor guy that was super lucky to get a ps4 not to far from th release of the ps5, and only got it because of the remake that was delyed again and again and again, and now it comes out also close to the ps5 release, and now they're telling me after releasing the first part on ps4, i have to some how not only find a ps5 witch is hard as hell to do, but also pay the 5-600$ witch is a full paycheck most times for me to play the rest, why the hell would u release the first part on ps4, and then screw the i'm sure 100's of 1000's of fan's that won't be able to get a ps5 for years if at all, and only release it on ps5, that's a slap in the face even more so then u releasing it in parts to money grab, it really sucks for hardcore fans like me who have put hundreds of hour in ff games and wait like 4 years to play the remake after it was pushed back and pushed back and pushed back, and now is stuck with only the first part cuz you couldn't release it on ps4 give me a break i am very very very disapointed in square enix cuz i have been one of the biggest fans of your ff games to be slapped in the face with not only a money grab of releasing parts of a game for 60 bucks a piece but forced to buy a ps5 that u can't afford for a game you've been waiting litterly years for only to get the first part on ps4 to be told your screwed for the rest of the game unless you blow 600 on a ps5, thanks square enix for dissapointing one of your biggest fans on this planet.
and the worst part about all this, is the game is so freaking good, i hope square enix does the right thing and get them ported to ps4

With news of the next Horizon game, Gran Turismo 7 & even the next God of War set for late 2022 all being on PS4, it wouldn't be TOO farfetched to expect the next Part on PS4 also... though of course the Intergrade DLC doesn't bode well on that outcome...

If you own the PS4 version on disc, you can still get access to the PS5 upgrade! - Not using the PS+ version mind you & You still have to purchase the Yuffie DLC separately...

Also, the 1.02 PS4 Update has made it so you can transfer your save data... you have to do the files one at a time - So upload one, close the PS4 version, open the PS5 version then download it... tedious doesn't even begin to describe it, but luckily if you chose your last save data with a completed game you get access to the chapter selection. Another bonus is that you instantly get all the trophies you aren't on your PS4 version! I got most of them but didn't want to play Hard Mode yet.

Last edited:
ff7 temake years too late? we already had seen in acc how good ff7 characters and scenes can be represented and a remake was announced for over 1 full decade. i awaited very loong the remake coming out now its like another timeline, presenting it for the next generation. me as old bone dont feel very comfortable with it coming out sooo late

Back