FFVII: Ever Crisis announced: a chapter-structured mobile RPG spanning the Compilation of FFVII

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 23.18.20.png

Clearly one remake project for Final Fantasy VII isn't enough, said Square Enix. How about a second one - this time for iOS and Android platforms?

Ever Crisis (because there is never a time without a crisis!) is slated to be a single-player chapter-structured narrative RPG that is technically also a remake of the beloved 1997 original but with a few twists.

Firstly, new chibi-like models for characters are utilised in the field, whereas in battles they are swapped out for more proportionally realistic and high definition models very similar to that of the console Remake game. Secondly, Ever Crisis will cover not only the events of FFVII itself, but also games from across the Compilation:
  • AC - Advent Children
  • BC - Before Crisis
  • CC - Crisis Core
  • DC - Dirge of Cerberus
  • EC - Ever Crisis (there will be new story elements penned by Kazushige Nojima)
ec1.jpgec2.jpg

This does mean that this will also be the first time that anything to do with Before Crisis is brought over or adapted into English, because the original was a mobile game with its own narrative exclusive only to Japan.

compilation.jpg

Last edited:
Linnaete

Linnaete

1614295881332.png

... Don't get me wrong there is potential here with adapting some of the lesser FFVII Compilation titles - Before Crisis has also been rather inaccessible so a re-telling in this style is a brilliant idea - Heck if they decided that they we're going to put full efforts into a game like this for BC and made a good job of it that could be really exciting. But when I saw the original FFVII in Chibi Style my thoughts were, why would I play this over the original? I certainly don't want this to be an alternative version that makes the original more discarded than the REMAKE already has done...

I also don't like the inconsistency, they chose to have this style that is fine, but what I don't like is for the release to then transition into battle to have ultra realistic character models. There is a case for this, of course the original FFVII had different character models in battle but I consider that a hardware limitation matter. I also wonder what this will mean for the rest of the compilation battles? Will they be with a Chibi design or with the games original visual design - That will make BC a hoot! :eek:

Then enters the biggest problem, they're making an adaptation of the entire FFVII Compilation siding with the release of the FFVI Remake. It makes following this series very difficult! Especially if they're making this canon and related to the FFVII REMAKE. I really hope it is not a case of having to play this mobile game to understand new concepts, characters or ideas put into the REMAKE project going forward. It becomes an even bigger headache when you consider what has already been established and hinted at with the direction of REMAKE-1's later revelations...

My overall thoughts on this, it's ambitious but messy. Had they just announced a Remake of Before Crisis in this style, I think I would be more excited.

View attachment 10636
... Don't get me wrong there is potential here with adapting some of the lesser FFVII Compilation titles - Before Crisis has also been rather inaccessible so a re-telling in this style is a brilliant idea - Heck if they decided that they we're going to put full efforts into a game like this for BC and made a good job of it that could be really exciting. But when I saw the original FFVII in Chibi Style my thoughts were, why would I play this over the original? I certainly don't want this to be an alternative version that makes the original more discarded than the REMAKE already has done...

I also don't like the inconsistency, they chose to have this style that is fine, but what I don't like is for the release to then transition into battle to have ultra realistic character models. There is a case for this, of course the original FFVII had different character models in battle but I consider that a hardware limitation matter. I also wonder what this will mean for the rest of the compilation battles? Will they be with a Chibi design or with the games original visual design - That will make BC a hoot! :eek:

Then enters the biggest problem, they're making an adaptation of the entire FFVII Compilation siding with the release of the FFVI Remake. It makes following this series very difficult! Especially if they're making this canon and related to the FFVII REMAKE. I really hope it is not a case of having to play this mobile game to understand new concepts, characters or ideas put into the REMAKE project going forward. It becomes an even bigger headache when you consider what has already been established and hinted at with the direction of REMAKE-1's later revelations...

My overall thoughts on this, it's ambitious but messy. Had they just announced a Remake of Before Crisis in this style, I think I would be more excited.
I'm excited about this, but I'm also greatly disappointed in the inconsistent style. It's not like World of Final Fantasy where even though the styles are different, they belong in the same game. The character models between the overworld and the battles are so jarringly different that it's hard for me to accept they're part of the same game. looks like one area was made in a DS emulator and another in a PS Vita.

I wonder if the ‘new’ elements will end up wrapping up some of the cliffhangers. Like, what happened to Genesis?
But I've read that it might relate to a young Sephiroth instead, potentially.

As Vivi-Gamer says, I hope it doesn’t interfere with or contradict the Remake project too much. I doubt it will though. This might end up being the FFVII equivalent of FFXV Pocket Edition but with additional chapters.

It would be great to play aspects from Before Crisis, finally. I've always wanted to see Red XIII and Deneh's story play out with my own eyes, in particular. Though many of the more obscure Turks and the more aggressive branch of AVALANCHE are things I have read about, but never experienced for myself. It'll be nice to have an accessible version of these events.

i think one can compare it very to the Another Eden game, which i played for 1,8 years. But i hate the gacha system. it was definately better having a bunch of core characters and thats it.

Back