DmC Dev: 'I don't care if it sells a thousand units or two million'

ElvenAngel

I forget stuff because I had to make room in my he
Gil
Developers of the new Devil May Cry game, DmC, have got a lot of hate from fans of the series, who claim that the direction the game is going in is too drastically different. Tameem Antoniades was questioned about the game in PSM3, and responding to a comment by a fan who said the game is unlikely to sell well, he replied:

"Usually the worst creative crimes are made when you're trying to make a game for someone else - some perceived demographic that, in all likelihood, doesn't actually exist."

He also said that the only way to make a successful game is to make a game that the developers themselves want to play. He continues:

"So from that point of view I don't care if it sells a thousand units or two million units."

It seems that the developer has confirmed that they are making a game for themselves, rather than the fans of the game. Surely this is a bad idea? After all, Heavenly Sword and Enslaved were not the most successful games, are they relying on the fact that the franchise has enough fans to create sales, whatever they do to it?

Source: www.ps3center.net

I've stopped caring much about DmC, but this is rather sad. I laughed when I first read this because the game already has terrible prospects and Tameem is making things worse every time he opens his mouth. He and making sense stopped exchanging postcards a year or so ago.

It seems that the developer has confirmed that they are making a game for themselves, rather than the fans of the game Surely this is a bad idea? .After all, Heavenly Sword and Enslaved were not the most successful games, are they relying on the fact that the franchise has enough fans to create sales, whatever they do to it?

It's weird that you say that then have this in your sig

"Better to write for yourself and have no public than to write for the public and have no self."

Except this isn't writing. And this isn't an original creation of the company - it's a game that had an established fanbase that was betrayed. This is a game that NT and Capcom expect to sell. And they expect to hit 2 million copies. That's hypocricy, not my sig. Tameem is clearly pandering for the crowds - you don't 'make a game for yourself' and advertise it all over the place expecting to sell it, yet treat your potential customers with condensation and insult their intelligence.

Your point's moot.

Honestly, I was a little iffy about a DmC reboot and a redesigned Dante. But after I remembered that Dante hasn't been a respectable character since they turned him into a rocket riding, pizza eating, annoying, shitty-one-liner spouting, lame jackass that they did in Dante's Awakening, I was pretty much for it. I don't think they could do any worse. Not to mention that the story lines of all the previous Devil May Cry's were laughably repetitive and just using the same formula over and over again. It seems like they're actually gonna try and give the new one an actual thought out plot. Even if it's only a little bit more complex than the previous ones, it's still better than nothing. Honestly, I couldn't be be more in favor of the reboot and if it only does sell 2,000 copies, I'll be one of those 2,000.

I couldn't imagine doing it any other way.

To be honest, with as shit as games have been this generation, I am willing to give anyone a chance to step up to the plate.

I laughed when I first read this because the game already has terrible prospects and Tameem is making things worse every time he opens his mouth. He and making sense stopped exchanging postcards a year or so ago.

Well, I think the game looks interesting enough. Ahem... As interesting as a DMC game gets, but nevertheless. I don't understand why people are upset, could anyone take this franchise seriously with Dante as ridiculous as he is? The guy has a fucking missile launcher apparatus in a suitcase.

Maybe a revision isn't such a bad thing?

Well, I think the game looks interesting enough. Ahem... As interesting as a DMC game gets, but nevertheless. I don't understand why people are upset, could anyone take this franchise seriously with Dante as ridiculous as he is? The guy has a fucking missile launcher apparatus in a suitcase.

That's the entire point though, DMC isn't meant to be SRS BSNS! which is exactly what NT are doing, and it's RUINED it. People love DMC because it's a little ridiculous and that's what's fun about it. Dante being ridiculous is a massive part of his appeal. He's badass, but he's not all boring RAWR like every other action flick character. He's funny. He'll drop the clown ball when the shit hits the fan, but he's not going to be a surly little bitch like Kratos or acting like a noir wannabe like Max Payne. Dante is fun, which is why people like him. NT's attempt have taken the fun away and replaced it with tweeny emo angst and stupid that tries to pass as sarcasm. There's a difference.

Maybe a revision isn't such a bad thing?
And yet, here it is, in all its shitty glory. I'm sorry, I ain't paying shit for a game that tries to be hip by showing me a crack-addict's naked ass and throws stupid lines like "You can call me Demon Killer" around like confetti.

I'm not sure how I feel about the game.It would be alright if it wasn't getting released under the DMC title which upsets more fans.Dante was awesome the way he was and made it fun to play as him,no matter how ridiculous one can claim he is.
The new DMC game isn;t bad,it could be awesome in fact but I have yet to play it like the rest.I don't want to be prejudiced cause hey it does seem very promising.
It is to be expected though to be received this way by the fans,cause for many years DMC was another game than this one with a different Dante.No one likes having his favorite character ir game changed this much.Perhaps if it was released under a different title it would cause a hype.What I'd hate to see is that this ends up being a pretty cool game that rarely any one plays except those who are not DMC fans.

I played DMC1,3,4 and skipped passed the hyper shit of 2. So I could consider myself a fan of the series, I remember when they announced it I was like ok cool a new take on it. I love enslaved might have not sold well but loved the game. Dante to me was a dying character that needed new life and a new direction. We've seen his badassary like four times....it gets boring after a while..... That's why you get bored of say Krafos being as stupid as he is.

Solid snake badass character in MGS4 shows him meeting his match etc, is inevitable....they need to show character weakness at sme point otherwise the fan would somehow deem it unrealistic that they were shown as a weakling in one scene of a said game. To be honest lately games have not been selling well in the wake of say Call of Dut etc. as long as it sells a fair amount and gets good reviews and beats their budget then NT will seem that a success and for me that's good enough. You'll never please everyone but they can at least try to please some.

I personally think that the reboot is much needed. While I loved the comical Dante, I feel that it was just too much. I've played and beaten 1, both characters in 2, 3 ,4 on multiple difficulties of each. It got REALLY old after a while. Giving Dante more personality than "I eat Pizza and kill demons." and a purpose other than that seems good. The weapon choices were laughable in just about every game aside from 1. The monsters created were terrible in all of them. Looking back, the marionettes still scare me, but that's because of a phobia.

I will be one of the 2,000 hoping that the reboot is well thought out, nicely designed, and well executed.

Back