Playstation Anyone Know a Good PS2 RPG?

Disgaea was a bit of a novelty to a lot of gamers when the first game was released years ago. Usually JRPGs have a connotation of clichéd tales of girly protagonists flailing a sword around and your typical turn-based battles with epic storylines that often takes itself too seriously at times. Disgaea certainly was not the first to do it - but it was probably one of the first in a while - to come in and turn the typical image of JRPGs on its head with its dark and slapstick humour, adoption of quite a lot of parodies and a very addictive kind of gameplay. So that's a recommendation to everyone who wants a good PS2 RPG and hasn't tried this yet. The later Disgaea games do lose the humour a bit though.

Alternatively if you want a game of a similar style, look at Phantom Brave. It's just like Disgaea minus the grid-based battle field. Unfortunately it sacrifices the humour that makes Disgaea entertaining to play through in story mode. It's an okay story, rather hit and miss, and I personally disliked the main characters. I've heard that Star Ocean 3 is a decent enough game. I haven't played it myself, but I imagine if you're familiar with SO4, you should give the third one a go. If you like Rogue Galaxy (I certainly did! =D), see if you can get the two Dark Cloud/Dark Chronicles - whatever the heck they call one of them - out as well, also from Level 5.

Mr Crimson Wolf I meant its a little too kiddy for my taste, and not that you would know but the whole reason for this thread s because my PS2 fried itself and Im looking for anew PS2 RPG too kill the time............also when is the canadian summer?

Thank you Fleuresian One but I already played SO3 way back in 2004 I went on a train 60 kilometers to get it, played it 400 hours 3 times and collected 241 out of a possible 300 battle trophies lol so its done its dash..........Im looking into Phantom right now!

ewww phantom brave was poo

you want Disgaea: Hour of Darkness, sir. :monster:

Disgaea 2 seems too kiddy for your tastes, but Phantom Brave doesn't? >.> Do you have any idea how many times you can see the letters s, e, and x in that in a row? :wacky: Whether it be Sexy, Sexier, or what isn't even a word, but is one of the names randomly ran into when you are fighting enemies: Sexied. xD

So don't tell me Disgaea is kiddy stuff, I've played Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days for 180 hours over the course of what as of today is four weeks. :gasp:

disgaea 2 was crap, but you do bring up a good point. Rozalin is like one of those chicks who wears clothing that says "rape me plx". not to mention Etna is a diving board with bitch tits that wears stripperiffic clothing:awesome:

Star Ocean: Till the end of time

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (actually for PSX, but def worth playing)

and of course, the FF's lol.

Star Ocean is lengthy, Star Wars KotOR has extreme re-play value, and Castlevania is just plain fun. 2-D action RPG at it's best.

disgaea 2 was crap, but you do bring up a good point. Rozalin is like one of those chicks who wears clothing that says "rape me plx". not to mention Etna is a diving board with bitch tits that wears stripperiffic clothing:awesome:

Well I enjoy Disgaea 2 just fine, and it is the only Disgaea game I've played so far to be honest, though I am hyped about Disgaea 4, can't wait to play that next year. :D But that isn't going to be a PS2 game, so that's a different story from the topic of this thread. >.>

Well I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet (sorry if I'm wrong), so I suggest my favorite series, Xenosaga, which comes in Episodes I, II, and III all on PS2 :x3: TBH I'm usually more into the stories for RPGs and don't pay as much attention to the gameplay, and I have heard some people say they don't care for the gameplay/battle systems in it; however even if you just watch the cutscenes online somewhere it is an amazingly epic, thought-provoking story. It has a lot of interesting characters with complex backstories, and a lot of interesting philosophical ideas are thrown around as well. Very well thought out and very emotional, I would definitely recommend it if you haven't played it yet :monster:

Back