20 reasons why Final Fantasy XIII is not a good Final Fantasy game

He only posted "FFXIII is the best FF ever" he didnt explain the reason so i labeled him like that, in my post i said why is crap if i just had posted "FFXIII is crap" then i would be the one trolling .

Either way i detract for that after further seeing his posts, sorry.

I can totally see why you would have said that. I initially thought the same thing too. Then after reading the majority of their posts came to realize they just love the series.

I for one loved both games. I'm not going to sit here and defend them for their gameplay, graphics, or music. They appealed to me, and that's all I can say. But it's kind of depressing to read the hate that FFXIII when half the people hating on it can't properly make a damn argument.

:hmph: Sorry, just throwing my two-cents in.

But just like all those things appealed to you, they don't appeal to many others, is that not just as good an argument? I've never seen anyone complain about FFXIII and not have a fairly decent reason for it. Some hated it for one thing, some hated it for lots of things, some hated everything about it, but I'm pretty sure they all have good arguments for disliking the game. I don't know...maybe I've only seen the decent posters lol the ones who have good arguments.

Personally, XIII ties with X to be my favourite FF game - and a lot of the points argued by the OP are things I enjoyed about the game. I had no expectations for XIII at all: I went into the game not expecting it to match up to my love of X and instead I ended up adoring both the plot and the characters. Although Vanille's accent and dialogue made me want to throw punches at the TV screen.

I would have preferred it if the entire game had been more like chapter eleven: a pain in the arse until the teleport stones are unlocked but overall it's fun. Plus, Gran Pulse is just such a beautiful location.

The only thing I would nitpick about is that:
Orphan was definitely too easy. No retrys needed. I spent six minutes on the first battle and a minute & a half on the second - while eating a sandwich. And I didn't even have to pause the game. I think the game peaked in terms of difficulty with Barthandelus's second battle at the end of Ch. 11 - only because it took me two hours to work out a strategy that would beat him before he would cast doom.

sorry for bumping a 2 year old thread, but you forget, Hope's Last Resort pretty much IS Holy. Only reason why I gave it a chance was because I had a PS3 layin around, and the protagonist was a chick. I would've played XII but no more PS2..

I wonder...

what would happen if someone made one of these for 5, 6, 8, 9? :hmmm: I can bet they'd say exactly what I'm about to say;

Making these "lists" are pointless. Just because in your opinion the game is "bad" doesn't mean it actually is bad. Maybe someone else can come up with 5 reasons why it's the best FF there is.

(And before I have anyone come in here and try to debate me, no, I am not a fan of 13. :hmph:)

I agree with almost every point made in the original post, but I found it an overall decent experience.

The story was emotional and really character-focused, which I liked. Every area was beautiful, and so were the characters. Lots of cutscenes, and it was an easy but epic adventure. I think I'm one of the only people thinking the voice acting was really, really good. Plus, the soundtrack is among one of my favourite game soundtracks ever. It just really clicks with me. >.>

But the worst parts was the really boring and X button-marathon battles. So many missed opportunities. XIII-2 did a really good job at making the battles more large-scale and dynamic; like Lightning riding Odin while chasing after a boss, while battling. That was awesome, and those in-battle cinematic event QTEs were a good addition. I wish that stuff was in XIII, and I might give its battle system more credit. The final boss was pretty lame. Just an epic-looking statue with moving faces and hands. Epic bosses were too stationary and lame. The linearity was painful, and I wish there was more to do; more content. Like an actual TOWN/CITY would have been nice.

It was a good cinematic adventure that was reasonably interactive, and that's about it.

This is pretty irrelevant and juvenile to be honest, we aren't talking about... I dunno, a chainsaw here, it either does the job or it doesn't, a good video game is really very subjective and relies on so many different factors. Anyone could make 20 reasons why any Final Fantasy is not a good game, but not many people are obnoxious enough to open a thread about it.

You clearly didnt read what I wrote. I never said it is a bad video game. I said it is a bad FINAL FANTASY.

This I can respect.

As much as I like XIII, I understand it's not perfect, and this may well be the first thread (referring to the OP) where I've seen that be discussed sensibly. Good job to andima for the write.

As far as difficulty goes, I wouldn't say XIII is the easiest FF game ever, but it's certainly not the hardest either. I don't see how it can be harder than the plethora of Seymour fights in X, but it is a bit harder than XII due to a lack of total control over all party members and the fact that certain enemies can just plain wipe you out in XIII, while in XII if you died it was almost always a slow death and a close fight. I guess it depends on how much time you spend leveling, though...grinding could really nullify the difficulty discussion if you took it far enough. You certainly aren't going to beat XIII without a few solid hours of grinding on Pulse, though.

I wanna know the complaint about the music is. I heard the soundtrack was bad, but So far I've listened to 10 songs from it on youtube and it sounded decent to me? can anybody elaborate why this particular part of the game was bad?

Most all the music for final fantasy titles were composed by Nobuo Uematsu. After FFX SE decided to branch out to other composers. With the lack of success they have had in their main titles after FFX, they decided to go back to Uematsu for FFXIV. The soundtrack for FFXIII is not horrible but when compared to VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, and XIV its just not nearly as good. FFXIII's soundtrack just feels over composed and not ever quirky. Listen to the soundtrack for FFXIV then go back and listen to FFXIII. I have all the soundtracks in a single playlist and I will listen to then on shuffle and I can always tell when a track from FFXIII comes up. I usually end up skipping to the next track. Like the entire game, it is not bad when it stands alone. But when it is compared to all the other FF titles, it lacks many key characteristics that one looks for in a FF game.

Most all the music for final fantasy titles were composed by Nobuo Uematsu. After FFX SE decided to branch out to other composers. With the lack of success they have had in their main titles after FFX, they decided to go back to Uematsu for FFXIV. The soundtrack for FFXIII is not horrible but when compared to VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, and XIV its just not nearly as good. FFXIII's soundtrack just feels over composed and not ever quirky. Listen to the soundtrack for FFXIV then go back and listen to FFXIII. I have all the soundtracks in a single playlist and I will listen to then on shuffle and I can always tell when a track from FFXIII comes up. I usually end up skipping to the next track. Like the entire game, it is not bad when it stands alone. But when it is compared to all the other FF titles, it lacks many key characteristics that one looks for in a FF game.

Although I really like the music in FFXIII (especially on Pulse), I agree that it does not compare to the previous FFs. That's unfair to say, of course, considering FFXIII lacks the amazing genius of Nobuo Uematsu. o_o As far as the music goes, I really have no complaints.

I've been raked over the coals for this, but I genuinely enjoyed playing XIII. I thought the storyline was intriguing, the characters were likable, and the battle system was new and exciting. It had been a long time since I had difficulty beating a boss (ENKI AND ENLIL, ANYONE?), so adapting to a new battle system was a much-welcomed challenge.

Well this is interesting. I'm gonna start this game soon, so I kinda want to know what to expect. Reviews were mixed at best. These were pretty cool points though. Guess I'll just wait and see.

Square-Enix would have made XIII a lot more successful upon it's launch if they had formally announced that it would be a trilogy. In that way, people would better understand that there is an actual reason why half the game is practically a tutorial and otherwise why it is the way it is. When you get to XIII-2, you'll be glad you learned how to kick ass efficiently for example.

Square-Enix would have made XIII a lot more successful upon it's launch if they had formally announced that it would be a trilogy. In that way, people would better understand that there is an actual reason why half the game is practically a tutorial and otherwise why it is the way it is. When you get to XIII-2, you'll be glad you learned how to kick ass efficiently for example.

That is so true .. I never thought of it that way. Was it actually planned as a trilogy from the very beginning, though? I'd be very surprised if it was, especially considering XIII's ending wrapped things up pretty nicely, in my opinion. But you're right, had it been "1 of 3," perhaps gamers would have been more open to the 9-chapter tutorial.. :P

That is so true .. I never thought of it that way. Was it actually planned as a trilogy from the very beginning, though? I'd be very surprised if it was, especially considering XIII's ending wrapped things up pretty nicely, in my opinion. But you're right, had it been "1 of 3," perhaps gamers would have been more open to the 9-chapter tutorial.. :P

Technically it was a trilogy on it's release.. though the trilogy has... been changed a lot..

the original release (XIII, Versus, Type-0)

Now (XIII, XIII-2, XIII-3) and Phase-o

Versus... yeah lets not talk about it...

but I think if they just called the games XIII, XIII-2, XIII-3 it would of maybe got more people to understand it more.

Technically it was a trilogy on it's release.. though the trilogy has... been changed a lot..

the original release (XIII, Versus, Type-0)

Now (XIII, XIII-2, XIII-3) and Phase-o

Versus... yeah lets not talk about it...

but I think if they just called the games XIII, XIII-2, XIII-3 it would of maybe got more people to understand it more.

OHHH YEAH. I had completely forgotten about Versus and Type-0... damn. Yes, maybe we shouldn't talk about it. XD

Type-0 was originally meant to be FF Agito XIII. Now it doesn't have 'XIII' in the title, so I'm kinda assuming it's no longer part of the whole Fabula Nova Crysallis crap. I also heard that they're doing that with Versus as well. Apparently it's going to be the next numbered title. FF XV.

Apparently. :monster:

Type-0 was originally meant to be FF Agito XIII. Now it doesn't have 'XIII' in the title, so I'm kinda assuming it's no longer part of the whole Fabula Nova Crysallis crap. I also heard that they're doing that with Versus as well. Apparently it's going to be the next numbered title. FF XV.

Apparently. :monster:

This is the best thing they can do as regards to Versus for me. I would much prefer that it became a main title instead of a loose spin-off to the much failed Fabula Nova Crystallis series. Especially as it shows far more promise than any of the FNC entries so far.

It's pretty clear SE hold high regards to Versus as much as I and others like to ask just what the hell they're doing with it. A 7 year project on one title isn't something they do often and is surely costing them alot of money but it also shows how much they want to get this one right. Seems only right that such a project should merit a main title number.

Make it happen SE!

A 7 year project on one title isn't something they do often.

Not to change subjects, but XII did take 5 years to make. and held the longest game to be in actual production, meaning they didn't just announce it and do almost nothing with it. (kinda like what Versus has done, took a back seat to other games.)

The idea of thinking up 20 reasons why it was shit kinda makes me think you thought about this game for waayyy too long. Especially if you hate it so :lew:
Itd be like me spending time to think about 20 reasons why i think Nicki Minaj is a plague on Music. But id rather just say shes pish. Thats what pops into my simple brain first.

I only have one reason FF13 was crap and that is.

It just was.

Back