Veteran
Gil
FFXIV
Ohri Jin
FFXIV Server
Cerberus
Thu, Sep 01, 2011 | 16:52 BST

Square Enix responds to Deus Ex racism accusations

Square-Enix has offered a response to allegations that one of its NPCs represents an African-American racial stereotype.

deusex.jpg

The character is known as Trash Lady, or Letitia, and is seen literally digging through the trash. In the video below, when she is approached she begs for money, and speaks in a dialect associated with the American slave period.
“Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a fictional story which reflects the diversity of the world’s future population by featuring characters of various cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds,” told GamesRadar. “While these characters are meant to portray people living in the year 2027, it has never been our intention to represent any particular ethnic group in a negative light.”
What do you think? Is this latent racism? Or is this a non-story?

Source - http://www.vg247.com/2011/09/01/square-enix-reponds-to-deus-ex-racism-accusations/

My thought would be - CAN PEOPLE SHUT THE FUCK UP ALREADY ABOUT RACISM?

They are making a big deal out of nothing, "calling racism" - it's just a way for sad people to get attention. If you don't like the game because you think it's "racist" then don't fucking play it.

Also about the video. I don't see anything wrong with the scene, if anything is wrong then it's that fucking VA.

Dear Consumer,

If you wish to see a proper example of racism within video games, please play an instalment of the Call of Duty series, or Resident Evil 5. Thank you for your comments, and please continue to enjoy the game!

Sincerely,

Square Enix

Someone will always take offense at something in a video game, I suppose. The simple answer is to just not play it. It isn't really racism if it's the year 2027, is it? It's only racist if you perceive it to be and, if you do, I would say that you are the one with the issue, and not the video game, for it was clearly not intended to be racist.

This seems like a very small thing to be complaining about anyway to be honest, considering FFXIII-2 is on the horizon :wacky:

Anyway these days you cant put anything in a game or you might you step on someone's toes...its freeking bullshit man...

If you saw this character in a freeking movie it would have been ok.
But its a game and nah that we dont like..bullshit ...

The reality of it is, someone will always find something to nitpick about.

Better just to use your own better judgment, though.

if she was white, they would call it sexist, if she was a white male, it would be ok then... conclusion... only use white males in your video games so you cant be called racist, sexist or anything else.

Except Square has nothing to do with this crap. They just take the money.

Yeah, SE just published it, they always complain to the wrong people. Eidos Montreal made it, and it was great.

The only issue I see there is how unnaturally the woman moves in the beginning.

People need to cool down.

Yeah, the character movements during conversations aren't that good :lew:

I played through the whole game and never noticed this woman at all. Didn't really care. People search too hard through games for this kind of stuff and it's annoying.

Martel I was thinking the exact same thing xD

One more reason why I cant stand people. Im sick of people saying things are racist, when in fact, it's usually the people who say that crap that are the ones who really are. People need to grow up

I can't say I fully understand the mindset of where "racism" comes from, does this mean if she was white it wouldn't be racism? :hmmm: Most likely. You could walk down the street every day and make something out to be racist if you truly want to. The people who point it out may not be racist, but bringing attention to something out of nothing empowers it. If people didn't make it out to be racism then no one would bat an eyelid.

Next story.

I can't say I fully understand the mindset of where "racism" comes from, does this mean if she was white it wouldn't be racism? :hmmm: Most likely. You could walk down the street every day and make something out to be racist if you truly want to. The people who point it out may not be racist, but bringing attention to something out of nothing empowers it. If people didn't make it out to be racism then no one would bat an eyelid.

Next story.

If it was racism, then being allowed to use takedowns and knock the crap out of the prostitutes should be sexist or inhumane or something :monster: People think up the stupidest things to try and get at companies. Like some banned Pokemon card that had a swatsika on it which is actually a sign of peace but people always think of it representing Hitler instead.

I will admit, both myself and my boyfriend while playing Deus Ex, looked at that NPC and went: "...That's not stereotypical or anything."

But, really, this is Square we're talking about, the company that gave us Barrett, only to apologize for him more than a decade later with Sazh. If they make characters that are anything but Asian in appearance, people will just complain about them being offensive or stereotypical.

My real problem with this, it might be "racist" but yet we got games like GTA: San Andres that 50 cent game (cant remember the name) and a bunch of other games like that, and I didn't hear crap about it being "racist" and I thought it sterotyped more than this game.

Square did not create this game. Eidos Montreal in Canada did. :hmph:

Square bought them and has to watch everything, so it goes back on Square etc etc

Its like.. .if microsoft bought... Disney and a Disney movie came out that people got offended about, it would fall back on Microsoft in the end because it is their responsibility to watch what the stuff that they own.

My real problem with this, it might be "racist" but yet we got games like GTA: San Andres that 50 cent game (cant remember the name) and a bunch of other games like that, and I didn't hear crap about it being "racist" and I thought it sterotyped more than this game.

Oh, there are definitely games out there that are waaay worse. I think Punch-Out! and Custer's Revenge were certainly more offensive than this, haha.

My bad. Not sure how I forgot that one, I think the title of the thread was what did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back