[USA] Bill to Ban Certain Tattoos and Piercings Passes Senate

Shenorai

The Spiritcaller
Veteran
Gil
And you can blame the folks in Arkansas for this one.

The bill is meant to limit tattoos, piercings, and other modifications to only "traditional body art". However, the language they use in order to describe what falls under "traditional" is vague at best. No dermal implants or scarification procedures allowed under such a bill.

And the bill became even more vague as it landed in the hands of the Senate. The scarification ban was lifted, but the bill was still ambiguous.

Full details are found here: http://www.getholistichealth.com/38140/bill-to-ban-certain-tattoos-body-piercings-passes-senate/

My question is: So what the hell are they going to do about people who already have such modifications? Fine them? Gobble down taxpayer money in order to make them remove the modifications? Or just outright jail them for not obeying this new bill?

What are your thoughts on the matter?

Yeaaaah, not really sure how this will come to pass considering how many people already have tattoos, piercings, or both. It seems a little silly to me to ban something that's already widespread enough. That's like banning cigarette smoking or alcohol consumption.

Plus, let's not forget the fact that most people would argue that tattoos and piercings are a creative form of personal expression. So technically a ban on these "bodily modifications" would impede on personal liberties.

Sounds pretty ridiculous overall.

Little bit mixed on this one...

While I understand it may put people off to walk in to a store and see someone fully tattooed or piercings all over themselves, (that can get infected) I do get that that freaks people out and is considered "not hygienic".... At the same time, I don't agree with limiting people with job categories for being an "individual". Not everyone is going to like the same style as you, but I think banning it is a bit far?

I dunno, mixed feelings on this one. Main problem I really have with things like these: there's SO MUCH WORSE going on around the world, and THIS is what they waste their time on?

Main problem I really have with things like these: there's SO MUCH WORSE going on around the world, and THIS is what they waste their time on?

I reckon it's a cop opt to rattle the masses and get them distracted. Or maybe that's just me thinking of conspiracy theories.

I'll admit that some people get a little too extreme with their "body modifications" to the point where it looks more self-destructive than anything else (example), but I don't really think there should be a limit to what people choose to do with their own bodies.

Now I'm trying to imagine them placing limits on how many tattoos or piercings a person can get total. xD

Yes, of course. Always count on legislators to firmly tackle the most fundamental problems of society that have crying out for a solution for so long.

"Shall we do something about giving working Americans a decent wage at the very least instead of kowtowing to frothing business interests?"

"Nah, let's do something about the more serious problem here of people turning themselves into human pinboards."

This is just one state's Senate anyway. It's hardly Capitol Hill deciding to get up one day and suddenly decide on a national ban, which I doubt would happen anyway.

This bill has things like and I quote "waiting 24 hours before getting a tattoo or piercing" which means you have to call the place 24 hours in advance before they will supposedly allow you to have a tattoo or piercing.

"No alcohol can be consumed before a tattoo or piercing" which to me is just hilarious, because almost every professionally place I have been to already has some rule against doing that. :wacky: and really they say out of professional sales in the US at least only like 1-2% of them are actually from people being intoxicated. Most people that get drunk and get tattoo's or piercings go to some Joe Schmoe place to get it.

Also think they want to raise the legal age to 21 instead of 18 without a parent in order to get tattoo's and piercings... which again is retarded "yeah you can join the army but you can't get a piercing or tattoo without mommy"

Really this law is 100% pointless in my mind, and yes a waste of taxpayers dollars!

This bill has things like and I quote "waiting 24 hours before getting a tattoo or piercing" which means you have to call the place 24 hours in advance before they will supposedly allow you to have a tattoo or piercing.

"No alcohol can be consumed before a tattoo or piercing" which to me is just hilarious, because almost every professionally place I have been to already has some rule against doing that. :wacky: and really they say out of professional sales in the US at least only like 1-2% of them are actually from people being intoxicated. Most people that get drunk and get tattoo's or piercings go to some Joe Schmoe place to get it.

Also think they want to raise the legal age to 21 instead of 18 without a parent in order to get tattoo's and piercings... which again is retarded "yeah you can join the army but you can't get a piercing or tattoo without mommy"

Really this law is 100% pointless in my mind, and yes a waste of taxpayers dollars!

Well, it all correlates together.

They want to restrict people getting shitfaced and making.. bad decisions. Or being young and getting tattoos you will later regret.
I can dig that. What's the rush anyway- tattoos are explicitly expression, and real, valid expression comes with age; a person doesn't really know themselves until they get older. Tattoos don't just go away.

Back