The Spirits Within [The Spirits Within] So who else wants to pretend this film never existed?

Im with some of the people in the thread, it was an alright movie. It had some decent voice actors, and some okay graphics. The storyline could of used a little more work, but all in all it was an alright movie. It just shouldnt have been a FF movie.

Honestly though, this movie would not have gotten any attention had it not been for the final fantasy named tagged to it. I love this movie and own it, its a great "film". I think ppl just went with what the critics said on it. Technically speaking it was a box office nightmare but thats because final fantasy is more of a sub-culture and not quite as popular as say star wars or lord of the rings. Take the time to appreciate the animation, i mean that movie came out yeeeears ago, and the technology used to make it was way above its time.

I really liked this movie it was well done!!! I know it had nothing to do with Final Fantasy but there were some references Like if you look properly you can see Moogles. Yeah this movie could have been made into a video game which would have been cool. What were spirits reffered to in this movie? Aki Ross was probably the best character in the movie. Oh and Dr. Cid was another reference to final fantasy.

You can? Please tell me where, as I can't remember seeing moogles at all.

One of the main things that dissapointed me about both movies is the lack of moogles and chocobos.

FF: Spirits Within I can forgive as it was set on our earth, but Advent Children has no excuse! :P

Argor watch the whole movie over and find the moogles its actually kind of hard to find but just watch it over and I bet you will find them. Just look properly lol. They can be in some pretty hard places.

Argor watch the whole movie over and find the moogles its actually kind of hard to find but just watch it over and I bet you will find them. Just look properly lol. They can be in some pretty hard places.

lol. :P Are they hiding are they?

What I remember of the creatures in the movie are big massive giant ghost monsters, with ugly faces, ribs sticking out, 400 arms each, and a mahungus long tail... NOT fluffy teddy creatures with tiny wings and pom-poms!

Yeah Argor there hiding in some of the hardest places but I managed to find them and I am sure you will if you watch the movie again lol. They are really hiding is what I will tell you. Just see for yourself.

The movie doesn't even have one solitary sword in it... EVERY FUCKING FINAL FANTASY GAME EVER MADE HAS AT LEAST HAD 1 SWORD IN IT! It just doesn't even qualify for the Final Fantasy try-outs. Should've just called it, Spirits Within. That would've made the experience better, I think.

Wow calm down just because there was not a single sword in this movie does not mean it was bad. The movie has some final fantasy references and who about cares if there was no sword in this movie? This movie was good and I know it had a bit of none final fantasy things. It would have been better if they made a video game out of it.

It's pretty okay for a movie, it's really unique. Don't want to pretend that this film never existed, because it's a really emotional thought-provoking movie. The story is really deep and the characters are well developed and throught out well.

If had more Final Fantasy highlights it would of been a really amazing movie to watch.
But it's still a pretty good movie, even lacking the Final Fantasy material.

I actually am one of the few who stick up for this movie. Yeah it had its hokieness, and the monsters were never too convincing whatever shape they took, but it had its bright spots too. It had a cool sort of eco-Apocalypse vibe to it (FF7 anyone?) and did some pretty cool stuff with the dream sequences. And it had a Baldwin doing some voice acting, and Edward Norton too if I am not mistaken. At least it tried to do something creative; Advent Children was just lip service to fans. I kind of liken TSW to Star Trek The Motion Picture: Some great ideas marred by some poor execution

D4D

Thought I'd add my 2 cents worth.

When I first saw this movie it was 5 years before I had actually played any game Final Fantasy related. Therefore I was not disappointed and had no expectations.

Even now that I've played my fair share of Final Fantasy's it still doesn't annoy me that it had nothing to do with Final Fantasy. I love the movie and it's story. It is very misleading having that for a title though. It wasn't very fair of them to do such a thing when it clearly had nothing to do with Final Fantasy other than Gaia.

I understand the problem other people faced where they went out and bought it merely because of the name 'Final Fantasy' printed across the front. I can imagine the disappointment when it didn't quite compare to any of the games they'd played.

Like I was when I played FFXII. :gasp:

I don't want to wish that this movie never existed... maybe FFXII though. :wacky:

I remember the first time I watched this. It was pretty interesting the two first times, I would give it a 6/10. I don't think it should have been a Final Fantasy film, though. Doesn't resemble any FF stories at all. But the film is okay.. For a film.

Watched this again the other night. I still think it's a pretty darn good film tbqfh. May not hold FF esc battles, but the storyline is very FF.

I quite like it.

I wish I can forget but still can't I mean its not the fact that its not ff related its just that I didn't understand the whole story thing and actually if you think about it its not completely non-ff-related because

1.There was still the very famous identical name 'Cid' that is commonly used though some may not notice it but Dr.Sid is still the same as Cid

2.There is mentioning of Gaia one of the ff planets but here it is said that it is the mother of all planets and that all who die go there so its almost same as the Life stream in ff7

Spirits within was an pretty ok movie. i would of liked it but, the whole fact that it had nothing to do with final fantasy kept on bugging me. through out the movie that fact kept bugging me, making me unable to enjoy the movie. the final fantasy aspect of the title should be dropped, at least in my opinion, it kept me distracted from the movie.

ok now with that said let me comment on the movie its self. great CGI. great voice actors. the only thing i can really comment on is the characters could use more of a history. and the ending could use a bit of work. the ending left me wondering, is that it, what is going to happen to her.

other than that it having the final fantasy in its name, which stop me from appreciating the film to its fullest, it was a good movie.

Last edited:
I thought the movie was good but I felt that it had like, little to no correlation between any Final Fantasy game I have played. I say keep it :D

I personally though it was pretty good.
I guess I understand why a lot of people didn't like it, but the graphics were great and the story itself was pretty good (though not stellar). I do agree that it doesn't really have a lot to do with Final Fantasy, but its an addition to the name nonetheless. I think it deserves at least a grudging amount of respect.

Hope this isnt bumping, I just saw the thread :sad3:

This movie was epic fail. There were no fantasy aspects in the film and just because there was a guy named Cid does not a FF game make. There was no magic or anything and the story wasn't all that impressive. I want to think that this movie was never created :mokken:

:fail:
IMO it was just an awful movie. I was like :ffs: Really? Like others have said it had nothing no elements of FF in this film. I was quite dissapointed with the film (n) tbqh and yes, I indeed thought the film shouldn't have been made. If the were going to make an film about FF at least have some things relating to it >_>

Back