The Spirits Within [The Spirits Within] So who else wants to pretend this film never existed?

It wasn't bad, it just wasn't Final Fantasy.

There wasn't a single element in it that relates to Final Fantasy.

Not to mention all the characters were like, human!

How can people say there were no links between the movie and previous Final Fantasy titles?

1. Gaia Theory - The main basis of FF7's storyline
2. Cid in both TSW and all other FF titles.
3. Spirit energy, again found in FF7.

I'm sure there are more links that I haven't mentioned here but there are definitely undeniable links between this movie and general Final Fantasy themes.:wacky:

I thought it was pretty cool, it did have some FF elements, returning to the planet, Gaia etc.. At the time people thought of FFVII whenever the FF series was mentioned, and that's what they were expecting.

I wanted that it would had been more to Final Fantasy series,but it hadnt nothing to do with any Final Fantasy title.Anyway it was a good movie but nothing special.It should have had another name.

i thought at first it was going to be a mix of VII and VIII coz i saw someone that looked like barret and sum1 that looked like zell but it ended up being bull and the suits EUGH.......................and eventualy if you type in google "final fantasy" just that it will ccome up with a bikini shot of the women in it

Well personally the movie didnt completely suck, but yeah it didnt live up to any final fantasy movie. Things could have been much better.

I personally thought this was a very good film, and I look forward to seeing it everytime it's advertised on CityTV's movie night. It has never yet failed to make me cry at the ending. With the whole impending doom element, it reminds me a bit of the Terminator, to be honest.

I found the story to be very well-written, and the idea of a super-lethal alien threat was quite intriguing, though admittedly it's a bit of an overused plot device. The voice acting was great, the actors seemed really into their characters and actually put emotion and emphasis into the lines.

Just because it's a WEE BIT misleading with the "Final Fantasy" title, does not mean that the movie shouldn't exist. It would make a very successful stand-alone, if people weren't so busy flaming the title.

All in all, I say that the movie definitely deserves to exist. Not many things can get me so emotionally involved time and time again, but this movie has, and kudos go to it! :D

Like many other posters have said, I thought the movie was amazing, but the title just should have been different. "The Spirits Within" would have been just as nice as "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within". I agree that the lack of Final Fantasy elements was disappointing, I was holding my breath for Aki to show us she was actually a summoner or something the entire time. So yeah, the title was a let down, but I thought the movie itself was pretty good. The story, the characters, the animation, just all of it was really captivating to me.

It wasnt bad i guess it just was not what i was expecting for a Final Fantasy movie. Thought it would be more like the games.

Hmm, I think alot of people are jumping to conclusions if they're saying this was a bad movie/not related etc. so what!? imo it was a pretty dam good movie, nice storyline, ending was great, got a bit watery towards then but overall 9/10

I find it funny that almost noone on here seems to like it. There seems to be a lot of people defending it when it's been discussed on other forums. Personally i find it worthless, and it has nothing to do with the FF series.

As a Final Fantasy movie The Spirits within was poor. It had a lack of anything Final Fantasy besides from a guy called Cid (which they spelt differently and called it "Sid"!). It was too americanised as well. Lacked anything as cultural to Japan (if not their take on European history and fantasy) as the FF series normally does.

As a Starship Trooper movie, it would have been ok though. Soldiers fighting bug like ghostly alien invaders...

I really do find it surprising that people are saying it has nothing to do with final fantasy. I think the story line is very FF like, the only thing that's not really like FF is the fight/battle scenes, which does work with the movie. It is a good movie.

I didn't really like the movie, it was too deep for me to understand when I first saw it. And I was very dissapointed that there was absolutely no magic. It didn't really scream Final Fantasy. However, I think that if I were to watch it again now, I'd probably appreciate it more for the underlying themes. I was upset about the ending though, and I would have prefered if that Sid guy died instead of the main hero.

Lacked anything as cultural to Japan (if not their take on European history and fantasy) as the FF series normally does.

Not technically true =/ The entire premise is based on a Japanese idea that when one dies, their spirit is sent to another planet/star. The movie spun that around cleverly and made Earth the planet that ANOTHER race's spirits ended up going. It was quite clever.

I guess I'm a bit disappointed that a lot of people think the best parts of Final Fantasy are magic and swords. You can get magic and swords in so many other franchises. A lot of people also loved FFVII:AC, which is just full of fights and a terrible story.

There are so many reasons why The Spirits Within is MORE like Final Fantasy than Advent Children. AC just raped it using pre-established FF names and locations. The story was rubbish and the fights were silly.

Spirits Within had the FF ideals that the earth is a living creature (Called 'Gaia', as in FF9), as well as a bitter-sweet ending, a clever twist as to what the threat to Earth really was, a premise based on Japanese views and a villian who wasn't technically a bad guy, just someone with a different dramatic view on how to save the Earth.

The truth of the matter is, it's nerds who find the AC movie a better movie. People who haven't played FF at all would actually prefer Spirits Within (In most cases).

My final gripe is that AC seemed to forget that most of us who first played FF7 were teenagers or kids then, but we're grown up now, so why did the movie come across so focused for teens? It really is an immature movie and I apologise for my harsh words, but I'm bitter!! :)

Rant over. Sorry guys!

Not technically true =/ The entire premise is based on a Japanese idea that when one dies, their spirit is sent to another planet/star. The movie spun that around cleverly and made Earth the planet that ANOTHER race's spirits ended up going. It was quite clever.

Perhaps. But the whole film seemed too American really.. It was even set in New York! (Or New New York). It didn't *look* or *feel* like a Final Fantasy or culturally Japanese, even if there were hidden elements in the film and plot.

That's not to say that the film was rubbish. It was ok, but just not as a Final Fantasy film. It wasn't fantasy enough, the planet happened to be the one we're living on.. Basically the FF references that were in there were so subtle that it should have just been labelled as a Square movie, and the references be merely for fun (like in some games that Square also did/does). They didn't have to label it as a Final Fantasy movie and I think that it was by doing this that the movie flopped, as fans were naturally dissapointed.

I guess I'm a bit disappointed that a lot of people think the best parts of Final Fantasy are magic and swords. You can get magic and swords in so many other franchises.

You can also get New York in so many other movies! But yeah I agree that there is more to FF than swords and magic (although it is a HUGE part of it), but most of them really tend to rely on it not being set on our planet, and also having more fantasy involved.

A lot of people also loved FFVII:AC, which is just full of fights and a terrible story.

I'm not too keen on AC either. It basically only really touched on Cloud, Sephiroth (and the 3 silver haired men), the Turks, Denzel etc...
The rest of the team were limited to short cameo's... Some of the coolest characters ever to grace the FF series were given only one or two lines, and of little importance to the story. I felt it was a sequal for the sake of a sequal (probably a bit like how I feel with all the new FF7 stuff).

Last edited:
Back