The Spirits Within [The Spirits Within] So who else wants to pretend this film never existed?

yeah, you go into the movie thinking this is from the same genius's that brought me FFVII and VIII,
and then well, it wasnt.

yea this movie totally sucked. it waz a big waste of money and my time. i cant even believe they put the title final fantasy on it

it was very clever of square though, a great way to attract lots of people to a movie that they wouldnt normally bother to go see.

actually they probably realised they could release lots of crap and it would still sell, a la X-2

I doubt that would be a Spirits Within 2 (Fortunately).
They destroyed all that freaking monsters isn't it? Lol..!

It's a shame that it was the only film that branch of Square ever did, it had to close because it lost so much money on the thing. The cinematics were breathtaking, even if that was it's only redeeming quality, and they could have made some awesome movies.

So so sad:dry:

There is always the possibility that Square got discouraged when they saw so many real FF fans disliked it so much...
It was a serious waste of an hour and a half I wish I had back...

IMO it was a poor excuse for a final fantasy film. It had nothing to do with the series, had no elements of fantasy, no magic except the spirit thingies and no swords (thats a big no-no lol) so who else just wants to pretend they never saw this movie?

I agree, I remember I was just a little guy when this movie came out but I was like "WTH MAN?!?!" I guess I was expecting FFVII refrences.

I never saw the movie, but I didn't see enough hype to attempt to find it on my own later.

The flick was clueless . It had little to do with the video game series. The spirit talk was sort of like the FF7 theory of the planet. The Mako Stream, the planets living force and all of that. Whatever.

Anyways it had little to do with the series ,and any comparison will prob get me killed here.

The film was ok though, but yah it stands alone from the video games. The only thing sacred is the name.

Well, I think the TITLE shouldn't exist. Calling a sci-fi movie "Final Fantasy"? The makers are sick in the head. NO other company should even have the guff to call it "Final Fantasy" except the same one that made VII: AC. Now, THAT was a helluva FF movie.

In end, I'm saying that Spirits Within wasn't a horrible movie, just a horrible FF movie.

I really agree with you. It was a good movie, but it wasn't fanal fantasy like. I guess that must have dissapointed a lot of people.

Sure the movie was very much science fiction but I definitely enjoyed the supernatural element as well. It might have been more enjoyed if they focussed more on the planet's life force and the Gaia theory.

I suppose they figured high paced action scenes with automatic guns and scary monsters makes for better viewing.

I remember seeing this movie a long time ago, and being sorely upset that it wasn't Final Fantasyish. It was more of a fantasy science fictiony film, and I hate those films. I don't really remember much about the storyline, only that the fact that it wasn't anything I knew or liked.

I pretend that it doesn't exist. :D

well one thing we got form this movie, the female character was the basis for yuna's character design. very similar models used in making her.

this movie was very bad, i think it was justa showing off of what SE was now able to do with 3d modeling and animation.

Well, at least SOMETHING good came out of it. Yuna's character design was very well done, though I didn't notice that it was used in the movie. :omg:

I liked the film but IMO, putting Final Fantasy in front of it was slanderous to the entire series. Nothing at all related to Final Fantasy in it so I voted Yes.

The past must be remembered, or else we are doomed to repeat our mistakes.
If this is forgotten, what is to stop Square Pictures from making a similar film?

The past must be remembered, or else we are doomed to repeat our mistakes.
If this is forgotten, what is to stop Square Pictures from making a similar film?

Well if they're doomed to make a similar film then I'm doomed to make my wallet lighter.

Back