Swish-swish-aroo! Decluttering your inventory.

Dionysos

Βρεκεκεκὲξ κοὰξ κοάξ
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Veteran
Gil
Shiva Snowflake
Carlos el Cactuar
Chocobo Egg
Accessory (Arms)
Build-A-Member
Accessory (Head)
FFXIV
Polyphemos Bromios
FFXIV Server
Moogle
Free Company
KupoCon
So I have a bit of a problem on FFXIV and I can't be the first and only.

My armoury is filling up, as is my inventory. Until recently my retainers were also completely full of junk and they still need quite a thorough clean-out.

Due to a lack of time I only really play the story at the moment so I've no idea what some of the items I own are useful for (I took a break for many years before returning earlier this year). I've been reluctant to toss or sell things in case I'll need them later. I've also considered donating a bunch to the Free Company chest and doing my bit for the Free Company, but what I own is either inconsequential compared to everything else in there or, once again, I am uncertain of the function of the item or its importance.

Basically I'm not sure what to remove for the better.

So what do you do to declutter and free up space? How often do you declutter? How long does it take you?

Whilst I've framed this thread around my problem, I'm more interested in starting a discussion so that people can share what they do to organise the items they own and how they decide which items are unnecessary. People will have different priorities so it could be interesting to hear what people have to say.

If only I could hire some of Matoya's enchanted brooms...

As of late I've been pretty lax on it since I'm in the process of still remodeling my house so I have a bunch of random crafting mats in my inventory. Outside of that I'm usually pretty strict about keeping my inventory clean. I don't like to have more than 1 page filled. Thanks to Storage Rooms, Armoires, and Glamour Dressers that makes it easy. I usually keep commonly used crafting mats, dyes, and seeds in my retainer's inventory.

dump it all in your retainers' inventories :8F:

hmmm if it's gear I usually submit whatever I'm not using (or will use in the future) to my grand company in exchange for seals, other items I would check their prices on the market board, so I'll either sell them or just get rid of them.

if you have usable items like food then use it :LOL:

I started to move things around a bit.

I've used one retainer to hold all my crafting junk and potions, etc. I've used my second retainer to hold all of my armoury items as well as dyes and assorted junk. Then I ran out of space so I shoved a load of stuff into my chocobo's bag.

It's a temporary measure until I actually sort through a lot of my items, but it is a healthy starting point and my active inventory has enough space to pick up items from quests for a while.

I like to keep everything in my inventory kinda organised! I turned on the expanded view so it's easier too.

All my materia in top left quadrant, raid food and pots in top right (I'm stocked up for next Ultimate releasing in a couple of weeks shhh), miscellaneous items bottom left, and raid/primal/gear tokens bottom right.

Untitled.png

I generally just throw away all the useless junk that finds its way into it. 99% of the time it's pretty worthless anyway! I also turned on the setting which places new gear into your inventory and not your armoury chest. That way you can manage it a little easier o:

I recently spent a while finally figuring out how to use the armoire and glamour dresser. I hadn't really spent much time in a hotel room before but Shadowbringers forces you into one a number of times and I figured I might as well take a look and follow some of the advice in here.

I've now stored a large number of items in my armoire (although it remains unclear to me what truly qualifies items to be eligible for this as not all items are seasonal or special items and some of the special items aren't eligible - it seems a bit random to me).

I've also moved a number of items into the glamour dresser. Items which only have aesthetic value (such as costumes of characters in other FF games, my pig costume, and so on). Previously I had some of those set up as costumes in my main character menu meaning that I had to carry them with me in my armoury chest at all times. Gone are those days!

I feel a lot lighter now. I'll try some other methods next time I need it, but I'm unburdened enough to be able to carry on with the story for a while longer.

I totally understand what you feel, Dionysos , most cases I have no idea what items are useful and what ones are junk. xD And since my storages went full, I had to throw out some stuff.

I have some similar methods when it comes to organising my stuff like you do. One of my retailers has all my non-used armors, clothes and weapons, also some housing items. The other has all the stuff I mined (I had to sell the non-HQ ones to get more free space so I only store HQ ones). And my chocobo has all the dyes I have, also the food. xD
I give my retainers the things I feel I don't need anymore (based on what item is for which retainer), and I make them sell these. I gave everything I can to my Grand Company, so I only sell stuff I can't give to them.

The thing is I like to have the materials on/around me I might need when it comes to blacksmithing or dying (and other activities like these), so I really hate when I have to go anywhere to get my stuff. But since my storage is this limited, I have to half-own and half-sell stuff... I wish they would give us much bigger storage. :,(

I wish they would give us much bigger storage. :,(

Yeah. I wouldn’t even mind paying for extra storage. With in-game Gil, preferably. I have millions of Gil which I never, ever use. There’s nothing I want to buy with it. At least not from NPCs and I've not yet made a habit of actually checking the player markets.

As far as I can tell most of the mounts and minions and gear I’d want are locked behind quests or special ranks for beast tribes, grand companies or other groups, or other requirements which to me seem unclear to me.

Back