[SU/D] Balamb Garden

Probably best to nip this in the bud now I guess. I agree that having stats in an RP is tricky.

Perhaps it's best to leave them out, apart from the elemental and status junctions. They could still be used without the danger of a "Supersoldier" like Rorolina said.

If memory serves, everyone has 3-4 different magic spells, not to mention not incorporating 'stat boost' abilities of their GF and so forth

From this, I'm happy to say that people can have elemental/status junctions as it wouldn't affect stats. If that means adding an extra slot of magic, or two, then feel free.
I would like to say that for now the maximum beginning slot allowance should be 8. Perhaps I should have stated it earlier, but never mind.

That's not to say we can't add to this later. It's just much better to start this way.

Thoughts?

From this, I'm happy to say that people can have elemental/status junctions as it wouldn't affect stats. If that means adding an extra slot of magic, or two, then feel free.
I would like to say that for now the maximum beginning slot allowance should be 8. Perhaps I should have stated it earlier, but never mind.

That's not to say we can't add to this later. It's just much better to start this way.

Thoughts?

I like that idea, it puts us all on the same level-ish to start.

Do you want me to remove some of Rinoa's? I had the innate bit from her developing her sorceress powers, which, if included, puts her at 11. She has 7 junctioned spells without those ones though, which is under the limit. XD

Hmm, possibly. Seeing as your innate one's are just lower level forms of your drawn magic, you could possibly make your drawn mid level magic: Fira, Thundara, Blizzara, you innate magic instead and remove your current innate ones...If that makes sense.

Just a thought ^_^

Hmm, possibly. Seeing as your innate one's are just lower level forms of your drawn magic, you could possibly make your drawn mid level magic: Fira, Thundara, Blizzara, you innate magic instead and remove your current innate ones...If that makes sense.

Just a thought ^_^

I wasn't sure if that'd be too strong for innate, but I can do that if you want me to. As long as you say it's fine I don't mind though. :lew:

And I'll post soon. Trying to get Xu's history done first, but it's giving me trouble.

I'll reserve Quistis if that's alright. Expect a bio to be up shortly.

yoh Farro. Sign me up for Irvine if he's still free. :monster:

I'll also be making an OC to hit on Xu... seeing as she's my favourite FFVIII char and Jess got to her first. :wacky:

Expect bios in the next couple of days. <3

Well, Rinoa does have the whole sorceress thing going for her so I don't think mid-level magic is going to be an issue. Especially seeing as the rest of your drawn magic is reasonable.

That's great. It would be good to have you involved soon, Squall too. I'll send Setsuna a PM or something.

EDIT: Mitsuru and Miss Fortune, good to have you involved! I'll add you both to the OP now and I'll take a look at your bio's when they're done ^_^

In regards to Quistis's Blue Magic, would you rather I kept it expressly to a Limit Break, or could I use some of the weaker Blue Magic as a typical spell?

In regards to Quistis's Blue Magic, would you rather I kept it expressly to a Limit Break, or could I use some of the weaker Blue Magic as a typical spell?

Would probably be best as a limit break if that's OK with you, as it isn't really any other type of magic.

Hope that's OK with you ;)

[NAME] Irvine Kinneas

[AGE] Twenty

[GENDER] Male

[APPEARANCE]
Despite three years passing, the ladies man has barely changed. His auburn hair has grown longer, still held back in a ponytail, the ends reaching his lower back. A few bangs curl lightly around his face, accenting his pale complexion nicely. The gunner still bears the same cheeky blues eyes and seductive twinkle in his eye that often let him woo the ladies in the past. He has grown from his rounded six foot exactly, to an almost giant six feet and three inches.

The only thing that has really changed about Irvine over the years is his choice of attire. Gone is the light tan jacket and pants to be replaced by similiar in black, possibly to mark his exchange from Galbadia Garden, to that of Balamb where he rose up to being a SeeD. He still sports the black cowboy hat and around his neck he wears the bullet that he missed Edea with (on a simple silver chain) during that fateful mission three years ago. His ear is pierced on the left, with a fang like appendage decorating it.

[PERSONALITY] Still very much a ladies man, Irvine has actually matured alot over the last three years. He no longer sees women as something to tumble about with under the sheets and actually takes the time to make sure they have a nice night before trying to seduce them into his bed. ... Okay, so maybe some things never truly change.

He is, however, an incredibly open and kind young man with fantastic wit and a sense of honor and loyalty beyond most others. His lone-wolf act has dissipated, making him much more approachable and forgoing. He finds it hard to trust, but when he does, that person becomes a friend for life. Hardworking and incredibly skilled with his rifle, Irvine has learnt to master his nerves under pressure.

[WEAPON]
Rifle; Exeter
This sleek, silver rifle was made with tender care by Irvine in the final moments leading up to the confrontation with Ultimecia. It was made from many rare materials but the sheer beauty of the gun outweigh the cost (in his opinion at least). It is a powerful weapon with one hell of a recoil, though Irvine barely notices this due to his experience with the rifle. He has since added a dark wood effect to the butt and a small scope for better accuracy on his part (not that he'd miss without it... right?)

[MAGIC] Haste, Thunder, Cure

[ABILITIES] Draw, Magic, GF, Item

[ITEMS] Potions x5, Phoenix Down x2, Normal Ammo x50, Shotgun Ammo x20, Eye Drops x1

[LIMIT BREAK] Shot
Irvine lets lose a barrage of bullets on his enemies (in the ranged of 7-12). The amount of damage from each bullet depends entirely on the type he has loaded Exeter with.
AMMO: Normal Ammo, Shotgun Ammo

[GUARDIAN FORCE] After the battle with Ultimecia, Irvine gave up all contact with guardian forces. Until he transfered to Balamb Garden and passed his SeeD exam. He now possesses the power of a GF unknown to him and his friends at that time; Ixion.

[HISTORY] The demise of Ultimecia meant Irvine would have to say goodbye to his friends and return to Galbadia Garden. For a while, he was happy... but within a month, he came to realise something was missing. Squall, Selphie, Rinoa, Zell, Quistis... They were a part of him now and he would be living a lie if he remained in the Galbadian Academy. A week later, he made his decision.

Irvine quit Galbadia Garden and traveled to Balamb. For a few days, he simply watched his friends from a distance whenever they happened in his vicinity. He warmth and comfort in his heart confirmed what he should have known from the start. Even the embrace of a pretty young woman could not compare to the happiness he felt whenever he was near his friends. Balamb Garden was to become his home. He enrolled without informing his friends and it didn't take him long to excel beyond his classmates. Within a year and a half, he graduated as a SeeD, avoiding direct contact with his friends whenever he could.

Once he had achieved his goal, Irvine allowed himself to properly reunite with those he had experienced so much with. He was home...

Now he helps to train SeeD hopefuls as they work to besting themselves. Much to his delight, a few had even chosen the gun as their weapon of choice, leaving him to be their trainer. Irvine now looks to training these young cadets in the art of being a sniper so that one day, should history repeat itself, there will be one who can stand the pressure and take that all important shot...

Well, with Vikki taking Irvy, I'm glad I didn't add that little bit in my background for my OC. That is, unless she wants there to have been something...

In regards to the spell limit... There kinda are multiple problems, the first being, we don't have everyone at the same level- there are some at SeeD exam level, and others who have been SeeDs for years. Simply doesn't make sense. On top of that, it's been 3 years since Ultimecia. I can understand some spell degradation, and maybe some characters aren't going on nearly as many missions since they may also be instructors but from the spell lists of these experienced SeeDs, it looks like everyone's been sitting on their arse this entire time in a lovely little circle jerk. Now as potentially awesome as that may be visually, it makes them seem ineffective and frankly, ncapable of pulling anyone's arse out of the fire in a SeeD exam.

I will be playing Irvine as bisexual. He always felt that way to be despite 'being a ladies man'

Just putting that out there. Look out Zell... he wants to lick that tattoo... ;)) (jk...)

Well I've always said it does make sense for him- after a while women start to lose their challenge.

I suppose then that perhaps there could have been something between our characters at some point. I've only made mention of it maybe 2 times in the writings I've done but Irvine does seem to be closer to him than a simple friend even if there isn't much going on between them in current writing.

Name: Quistis Trepe

Appearance: Tall enough at five foot eight, Quistis has let her silky blond hair down from its tight ponytail in the three years since Ultimecia's defeat. It reaches her upper back, though still remains well groomed and taken care of. Her skin complexion is somewhat pale, and almond shaped blue eyes are set in a somewhat angular face. She has crossed eyebrows, giving her a permanently stern expression.

She is slender, and typically opts to wear the SeeD uniform while in Garden, though when on missions changes to more suitable attire such as a knee length skirt, black jacket over a white shirt, with a belt around the skirt for her to loop her whip into when not in use. She always wears her trademark glasses, and her vision will be severely impaired by their removal in battle, although she can stand to have them off outside of battle.

Personality: The three years since Ultimecia's defeat have matured Quistis a great deal. She no longer worries over love or her teammates in such an obvious way, and is no longer prone to the panicking and bouts of self pity she experienced three years ago., instead showing a greater control over her emotions as a member of SeeD and an instructor of young trainees.

Due to this greater control over her emotions, Quistis could often be seen as cool and even cold by those who don't truly know her. However, she possesses a warm, personable demeanor towards her friends and towards SeeDs in training, acting like a big sister and often teasing them or counselling them to make them feel better when they're down. However, she is still likely to put candidates or her friends over herself in times of danger, and will readily abandon protocol and risk herself to protect those she cares about.

Weapons: Save the Queen, an ice blue whip with a bladed edge, designed for mid range combat.

Magic: Fira, Thundara, Blizzara, Cure, Esuna, Aura

Limit Break: Blue Magic. Although Quistis has lost her affinity with much of the Blue Magic during her downtime following Ultimecia's defeat, she retains a few of her abilities.

Eye Beam: Quistis's eye glows and a beam of colored energy fires from it after a brief second, inflicting magic damage on a single enemy. The color varies though this has no influence on the laser's actual effect in battle.

Micro Missiles: Quistis opens several small rifts in space which proceed to fire several (5-10) missiles at the enemy, which explode upon contact. Single target damage.

Gatling Gun: Opens a rift in space which proceeds to fire a high number of bullets rapidly at a single enemy, dealing physical damage.

Homing Laser: Quistis connects four rays of light that form in the air. From the center fires a laser of varying color, dealing damage to a single enemy. The different colors have no in battle difference.

White Wind: Heals all party members. Becomes stronger the weaker Quistis is.

GF(s): The GF Odin was recovered after its destruction by Seifer's hand and entrusted to Quistis upon becoming an instructor again. She also obtained the never seen before Guardian Force Hecatoncheir on a mission shortly after Ultimecia's defeat.

Items: Potion x5, Phoenix Down x2, Antidote x3

Abilities: Draw, Magic, GF, Item

History: Upon the end of Time Compression and the defeat of Ultimecia, Quistis was offered the position of instructor once again, a mantle she took up with delight. Matured by her experiences, she became even more popular with the students than she had before, but she didn't allow her training to falter, regularly training under the belief that she had to become and stay a teacher worthy of her students.

She mainly resided in Balamb Garden, though she did make occasional trips to Galbadia Garden and the rebuilding Trabia Garden to help out in any way she could. Although she was an instructor, she went out on missions and held extra classes, leaving next to no time for personal leisure and barely any for even sleep on many days, despite her fellow instructors's and students's concerns.

History is somewhat short, but I hope it's good enough.

Last edited:
Well, with Vikki taking Irvy, I'm glad I didn't add that little bit in my background for my OC. That is, unless she wants there to have been something...

In regards to the spell limit... There kinda are multiple problems, the first being, we don't have everyone at the same level- there are some at SeeD exam level, and others who have been SeeDs for years. Simply doesn't make sense. On top of that, it's been 3 years since Ultimecia. I can understand some spell degradation, and maybe some characters aren't going on nearly as many missions since they may also be instructors but from the spell lists of these experienced SeeDs, it looks like everyone's been sitting on their arse this entire time in a lovely little circle jerk. Now as potentially awesome as that may be visually, it makes them seem ineffective and frankly, ncapable of pulling anyone's arse out of the fire in a SeeD exam.

Really, it's up to the person writing for the character what magic they have. The only time something has been said regarding magic is when someone has many slots filled with mostly high magic. I think 8 slots is reasonable, and I have no problem with there being high level magic, just within reason.
I agree with you that perhaps SeeD's should be better equipped with magic than the candidates, but again, it's up to the person writing for that character. If they are a SeeD and don't want loads of slots filled with Ultima and Flare, that's up to them.

Gavin, if you want high level magic that's fine, like I've said. However I would like to stick to 8-10 slots for now ^_^

I will be playing Irvine as bisexual. He always felt that way to be despite 'being a ladies man'

Just putting that out there. Look out Zell... he wants to lick that tattoo... ;)) (jk...)

It's a temporary tattoo, if you lick it, it comes off. Stay away! :gasp:

Bio's for Irvine and Quistis are great. You're good to go!

Right, I'm a terrible person who got busy. It probably won't happen again, I've sorted my school things out now. I made a decent in character excuse and I'm not going to bother giving them out of character. Sorry about that.

Xu's bio will be up tonight if you still want her in the RP. Just let me know where you want her. She could gather and brief the candidates if that sounds alright.

Don't worry about it, we all have other things to do aside from this!

I like the idea you've got for Xu as well. It would still be good to have her in the RP.

Are you still accepting sign ups for this RP, if so could you give me an idea of what has already happened so i can get involved after creating a character and gettig him approved.

Back