Square-Enix Wants Better Chrono Trigger Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingerbread Lesbian

Banned
Veteran
Gil
Hoping for a new Chrono Trigger game? Better start buying your grandmother and her dog a copy, too.

Speaking to RPGsite.com, Square Enix Senior Vice President Shinji Hashimoto says the franchise hasn't sold well enough to warrant development of a new title in the series. When told fans were clamoring for a new game, Hashimoto shrugged it off.

"That's not what the sales tell me!" Hashimoto said. "If people want a sequel, they should buy more!"

While sales of the Nintendo DS version of the Super Nintendo classic were somewhat sluggish, with worldwide sales reaching close to 800K last year, it doesn't help the game originally hit retail shelves at a ridiculous $39.99 price point in the North America.

If Square-Enix wants more sales, how about they stop overcharging fans for 14-year old ports?

Source: IGN

Well this doesn't really effect me in any way as I have never played the game and therefore don't have a need for a new addition to the series.

It is a bit silly at how much they expect people to pay for games that are still running on old platforms though. <_<

Boy that's harsh.

Espically with money recession dilemma's heading around worldly.

Think SE are angry because fans keep on making fake-sequels/ remakes of the Chrono Trigger game/ series.

Actually knowing that that fans ARE making fake- games on their own computers, should be enough proof that they want something ?

Stop thinking about cash Square- Enix >___>

"That's not what the sales tell me!" Hashimoto said. "If people want a sequel, they should buy more!"

Source: IGN

Thats cheeky as fuck thats is. $39.99 is a ridiculous starting price, no wonder not everyone can afford that. Especiallyt seeing its a version of a game released 14 years proir. Quite ridiculous.

Square Enix should know well that a Chrono sequel is what fans have demanded for! That fanmade game they took down! If that doesn't define demand from fans, then what does? Why can't they listen to what the fans want instead of releasing things no one asked for, like: <deep breath> Dirge of Cerberus, IV: The After Years, Crystal Chronicles Echoes of Time, IV remake, I and II on PSP, X-2, XIV, a SaGa 2 remake, Crisis Core etc.> We didn't even get SIGMA HARMONICS IN THE WEST!!!!!!

Chrono Trigger DS is a remake with hardly anything new! It should have just been Virtual Console release! Plenty of people have it already on their SNESes, so why would they bother spending more money on a lazy port? I have it on my SNES already! Does that mean that to get a sequel, I'll need to campaign to the whole country and forcing them to buy a copy with the alternative being death?

We should all tell SE that the excuse isn't good enough. At all. The next time they release any rerelease or sequel that is utterly pointless and clearly just for quick cashing, say no to it. It would teach Kitase that we have no patience to be f***ed around with.

Wait, how are the Chrono Trigger DS sales an accurate gauge of whether fans really want a sequel?

Did they ever think that maybe there were fans clamoring for it prior to the DS release? Or that many fans might just not have a DS? Or that they won't buy it because they have it for the PS1 or SNES and don't want to waste money?

If you want to gauge whether a sequel is wanted, they should take into consideration the sales it has as a whole, not just a DS port of it. Better yet, take a look at the ratings the game has gotten.

But this is fine with me, I'd personally prefer it if Square-Enix kept their hands off the franchise until they can prove to me they can even make decent games anymore. >_>

800k is pretty good sales-wise for a game that had already been ported to the original Playstation, and played as a ROM by the fanbase for many years. Taking all platforms into consideration, Chrono Trigger has sold more than 3 million copies world wide, and that's how this matter should be seen.

Well this doesn't really effect me in any way as I have never played the game and therefore don't have a need for a new addition to the series.

It is a bit silly at how much they expect people to pay for games that are still running on old platforms though. <_<

Whippersnapper! You don't know what you're missing!
Truly, truly, truly, one of the best RPGs I've ever played. Top 5 for sure.

The fact is that Chrono Trigger MUST be doing well enough for a sequel, because they keep remaking it.
Why not tell the truth? Chrono Cross proves they don't know how to make a sequel that measures up to the original? They just don't make time-traveling fantasy RPGs like they used to...

Last edited:
Personally it would be nice to see separate companies like Matrix Software or Level 5 to handle any sequels if SE decides to make any. Judging by how well Level 5 handle DQIX and White Knight Chronicles, they are arguably the new Squaresoft.

As for Matrix, FFIII and FFIV remakes were excellent. Nostalgia looks promising too.

SE will benefit from this as it would mean less work for their poor teams and we would benefit from having what we have wanted!

Last edited:
I'm kind of repeating what's above but...

An impressively ridiculous demand to make of fans when this is a remake. At $40 (1 cent doesn't make one bit of difference to me), who would dare buy this? More so during this financial crisis and all. Add in the fact some may already have the PS1 or older versions (I have the PS1 version), or perhaps do not own a DS.

Square Enix Senior Vice President Shinji Hashimoto said:
That's not what the sales tell me! If people want a sequel, they should buy more!

This part was rather disturbing. They made it sound so cheap... For a remake that encompassed little to no new features, I'm admittedly disappointed with Square Enix now. Still, I'm one of the hopefuls for a sequel.

Last edited:
That angers me... i loved Chrono Trigger, it would be great if there could be a sequel but apparently i shouldn't hod my breath >.>

Wewt 300 posts

If they want more sales, the obvious course of action is to lower the cost. The game may be one of the best, but no one will buy such an old game for prices like $39.99 with next-gen games that look better and cost less

Yeah when I heard that comment I couldn't help think 'greedy wee shit'.

But as people have said it's unfair to base a decision on something that was both overpriced and barely marketed at all. It's not suprising that it didn't sell lots.

Sadly SE are generally more about promoting their flagship titles than anything else. Shame really.

No. It's too cheaply made. Feels like they didn't even try with the graphics much and the fandom of Square-Enix isn't going to downgrade to upgrade. That makes no sense. They need to quit their bitching and put out. :awesome: XD

The Akira Toriyama art was so, so disappointing when I saw it. I've always hated that animation and art style; everyone has the same face but different color hair and hairstyles. It's ridiculous. How it got popular is beyond me, and how it ended up in Square's lap is even more so beyond me.

No. It's too cheaply made. Feels like they didn't even try with the graphics much and the fandom of Square-Enix isn't going to downgrade to upgrade. That makes no sense. They need to quit their bitching and put out. :awesome: XD

The Akira Toriyama art was so, so disappointing when I saw it. I've always hated that animation and art style; everyone has the same face but different color hair and hairstyles. It's ridiculous. How it got popular is beyond me, and how it ended up in Square's lap is even more so beyond me.
I agree with the art, but the game itself is solid. For a silent protagonist, this sure was a wonderful story.
Here's a question for the forum: What does a solid sequel for Chrono Trigger look like, and on what platform? What would you do with the story? Would you have new characters, or the same? How would it play?

Wasn't Chrono Cross a sequel though? So shouldn't it be a sequel to that game rather than CT? :huh:

The graphics would be poor, if the game was made now. You have to realize that Chrono Trigger was originally made in 1995 for the SNES, for that time the graphics were perfectly fine, in fact they were rather impressive. So I don't know how the argument that the graphics are poor could even hold any water.

The original game didn't really even feature that art style much, it wasn't until the playstation port was released that they added anime cutscenes.

And considering you can disable the cutscenes (without missing a thing), you could easily play through the whole game without ever encountering that artstyle. That's how the original fans played it.

So if your complaint is the artwork it's rather ungrounded, as it has nothing to do with the actual game and can be disabled.

Although there is one question I'd like to ask: Have you even played the game your bashing? And by played I mean from start to finish, you couldn't possibly get the whole story otherwise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back