Staff member
Global Moderator
Social Media Team
Veteran
Gil
Coloured Thread
Chocobo Egg
Shiva Snowflake
Sonic finally got an upgrade after fan outcry. What do you think about his new updated look? Plus your thoughts on the movie?

1573586683027.jpeg

Personally I'm still prepared to be disappointed.. but happy with the new look at least. Let me know your guys' thoughts!

This new design of his looks SOOOOOO much better than the original pug-fugly one; now I'm actually pumped about seeing the movie when it comes out! 😃👍

It definitely does look better than the previous one. Its new design definitely fits perfectly with the game design. This will change people's negative thoughts and increase their attraction by doing this new design.

I honestly thought the old design wasn't horrible even though it didn't really look like Sonic and it a half human hedgehod, but I will say the new design looks better. I am excited for the movie!

I'm not a big fan of Sonic (I'm not a hater, I just grew up with PlayStation so I wasn't exposed to Sonic in the same way as many gamers and I don't know much about him). That said, this seems to better suit the character's personality as far as I know it.

The new look is closer to the cartoonish style of the character, so I can understand why people are overwhelmingly happy about it. The tone of the trailer too seems different, and it is nice to see references to the gameplay in scenes set on Sonic's world. It makes it more believable (if that word can ever be uttered about this film!) that this is actually Sonic.

The original design, while very good and highly detailed, was decried as blue nightmare fuel. People fainted and babies cried when that original trailer dropped. I can understand this, as it does look a bit too close to the uncanny valley. They made him look a bit too real, yet not quite... It was unsettling. I think this was simply bad judgement on what people would like to see in Sonic. He is, after all, meant to be a hedgehog, but he's a hedgehog who has never really resembled a hedgehog. Trying to create a real-ish animal out of that doesn't produce a hedgehog, so that led to a very peculiar creature indeed. That's why the cartoony look is much better, in my opinion.

However, it does make me sad to think about the poor animators who were then either fired or brought back to redesign him after their labour had been mocked on the internet. I do hope that it was the same people who redesigned him as I want a happy ending to the story. I want them to go home now with smiles on their faces now that the public love their Sonic.

Back