Playstation PSN Down as of Feb. 28 (worldwide?)

PS3: Broken?

What is this news I'm hearing recently about all the PS3's dying? Is it true, because some people I know have said there PS3's seem to be broken.

What's happening?

(I don't own a PS3.)

Last edited:
What is this news I'm hearing recently about all the PS3's dying? Is it true, because some people I know have said there PS3's seem to be broken.

What's happening?

Something internally in the ps3 seems quirky. Something I dismissed as possibly being true, it seems that the internal calender was thrown for a loop, causing all kinds of issues. Downloaded games cannot work because it cannot work, and anything trophy related will not start, and can wipe your trophy count (We still don't know if they're gone for good, though).

As minor a thing as it seems, the calender was thrown for quite the loop it seems. :hmmm:

Tbh, I dunno if this is the true cause, it's simply hear-say of 'confirmed causes'.

From Kotaku

Kotaku said:
As you may be aware, some customers have been unable to connect to the PlayStation Network today. This problem affects the models other than the new slim PS3.
We believe we have identified that this problem is being caused by a bug in the clock functionality incorporated in the system.
Errors include:
* The date of the PS3 system may be re-set to Jan 1, 2000.
* When the user tries to sign-in to the PlayStation Network, the following message appears on the screen; "An error has occurred. You have been signed out of PlayStation Network (8001050F)".
* When the user tries to launch a game, the following error message appears on the screen and the trophy data may disappear; "Failed to install trophies. Please exit your game."
* When the user tries to set the time and date of the system via the Internet, the following message appears on the screen; "The current date and time could not be obtained. (8001050F)"
* Users are not able to playback certain rental video downloaded from the PlayStation Store before the expiration date.
We hope to resolve this problem within the next 24 hours. In the meantime, if you have a model other than the new slim PS3, we advise that you do not use your PS3 system, as doing so may result in errors in some functionality, such as recording obtained trophies, and not being able to restore certain data.
As mentioned above, Please be advised that the new slim PS3 is not affected with this error. We are doing our best to resolve the issue and do apologize for any inconvenience caused.
For the latest status on this situation please check either the PlayStation blog (blog.us.playstation.com) or PlayStation.com.

The Error message Below

yes, there is something wrong with PSN, it sucks dearly as my PS3 is suffering to, and sadly that means i can't play my final fantasy 8 as it is downloaded from the store

I'll say right now that I have a Slim, so I'll roll with the "in won't affect slims" for now.
On a different note, I honestly hope that if anyone here has had their system bricked by this, hopefully you guys can get something to fix this ASAP.
I feel really bad not being affected by this and seeing some of my online friends screwed by this...

it seems that you could still use the internet browser and remote play,that must suck for psn gamers considering the fact that im a 360 gamer,time is everything,just wait and everything will be fine.

[Threads Merged]

So I guess it's still not fixed yet. That sucks.. =/ I have the slim version so it's no problem for me, although I did got signed off from PSN several times yesterday, but I was able to get back on.

:hmmm:
would restoring the data work maybe possibly? I mean, I don't think so as this has been an issue for most PS3 users that don't own a slim but just a question.
I still don't understand how, if it's the clock thing issue that it's just only effecting the older version.
:rage:
I missssss my ps3 =(

Another day is tooo long D=

No many have done that already, it doesn't fix the problem. Its because it was already programed in the system. Just have to wait more unfortunately nothing else we can do.

Yeah, I didn't think so either but, thanks for clearing that up :monster:

And yes, I soon as I here any new info as to whether it's 'fixed' or not i'll post it up here :)
i'm way too impatient to wait though :mokken:

Just checked mine out and yup, it's screwed up. Kind of annoying as I've got like three of four games sat there that I've never really been in the mood to play until now and I can't, typical really I guess. Oh well, as long as it's sorted by next week. I've had no money recently as my bank has been poo and I got annoyed because I wanted to buy Bayonetta a couple of days ago, I guess it was a blessing in disguise as it would have been bad timing to get a new game.

Mine works, so people get to trying it now! Yours might be working now too, i'm playing as i type this post out. I can finish Heavy Rain now!

Oh whoa, I'm so confused...

My PS3 isn't connected to the internet at all and as unbelievable as this sounds, I haven't made a PSN account (or I think I did, but I'm not sure wtf I do with it...), so I shouldn't be affected if the problem persists, right?

Hey guys I've been following the Neogaf thread on the situation since it started, and it appears that the APOCALYPS3 as this incident has been dubbed is over. The problem started to right itself about 30 mins ago, with most of the posters stating their systems are working as of 00:00 GMT

For people missing trophies - Start the game so you create a Trophy data set on your PS3, and then sync with the server. Thought I lost my Heavy Rain platinum, but after starting the game, quitting, and then syncing my trophies they came back.
Hopefully everyone's PS3's are working properly again!

Mine works, so people get to trying it now! Yours might be working now too, i'm playing as i type this post out. I can finish Heavy Rain now!
Mine's working as well :)!
I''m happy that I didn't have to wait until tomorrow though so, THANK goodness xD
Apparently you beat me to it Nick =P

I'm gunna play IX for a bit but I should be on the PSN is an hour or so :)
Hopefully everyone else's is working too :D

So is anyone now going to buy the slim PS3 because of this issue?

Back