Proof God does not exist

I'd show it to the world. Everyone who believed in God would keep believing in God and everyone who didn't would continue to not believe in Him.

Extremo atheists and religious zealots are in the same category as "I think I'm better than you". Even if I didn't believe in God, I wouldn't purposefully go to my grandmother or aunt and tell them "hey, God doesn't exist. Your belief is shit."

People like that are the reason people in general suck.

Situation: You find, in a box somewhere, definitive proof that God does not exist. Do you destroy the box or do you show it to the world? Why/Why not?

Discuss.

I wouldn't destroy the box. But then I would tell people I had this proof and let them make up their own mind. If someone had that great a faith the box wouldn't even tempt them. If they had doubts or were seeking the answers, then the box could be of possible benefit to them.

Personally I do believe in God, but I also believe people should be free to follow their own path without imposed restrictions. If someone thinks it's bullshit, fine, they can object BUT the other person should still be able to do as they wish.

Forceing someone to act a certain way is not something I could make myself do. And I tend to dislike those in authority who intend to uphold laws to those effects.

Last edited:
I would show it to the world. I care about what is true and what is backed up with evidence, and those are my reasons.
I think there can be meaning even without a god. Each generation adds to the pool of human knowledge, people who are 'lost' without some deity to guide them could focus on adding to this pool.

I would show people the truth. I would also show people definitive proof God does exist, but that's another thread. Truth is important. If there was definitive proof God didn't exist, alot of the world would dramatically change (assuming you mean no Gods at all, and not just the hebrew God). At first there would probably be a lot of chaos, as religiion is the only tether to a socially acceptable life for alot of people. However, eventually it might help us move on to a new standard of morality. Or maybe the world would just fall into hedonism and collapse. Either way, I'd pull back the veil if I found something like that.

For the purpose of riot control, I would keep it to myself until I could further think on what I've experienced. It'd be a while till I took any course of action, if any at all.

Anyway, the topic title should be changed. It's a bit misleading. The end result turned out to be better than what I expected to open up and see.

I figure since it involves God, this is the right section to post in. If not, feel free to move it :P

My friend was asked to debate this question, and I thought it was really interesting:

Situation: You find, in a box somewhere, definitive proof that God does not exist. Do you destroy the box or do you show it to the world? Why/Why not?

Discuss.

In my opinion, the dilemma of proof that God does not exist in a mere series of documents, pictures, and/or objects poses the first dilemma. Moving along...

Let's say that I'm a hXc "Christian" with moral beliefs in the bible, from both Testaments, and I believe in God, and that Jesus Christ gave his live for me so I can be pardoned for the same sin "Seven times seventy seven" times, or whatever that scripture says I'm not sure truly held any sort of cosmic mathematical equation for God's limit bar to fill and select his "Wrath" signature limit break upon my wretched mortal human soul.

I'd burn the box. Its existence is an affront to my beliefs, and I'd go crazy trying to figure out how to contradict these truths with my beliefs, while still keeping in mind that truth > belief, without forsaking my Lord God. Also, I wouldn't want to single-handedly start another World War. That's just asking for horrific Karma. Come back as a 1 legged gerbil with autism and aids or some shit. :ness:

Point: Burn the evidence. Our finite minds can't grasp the concept of truths being solid that contradict our beliefs.

How much longer are the masses going to have the truth witheld from them. If it's not religious propanganda being shoved down the fearfuls throat, that if you aren't morally good in life this big scary deity in the sky will smite you, it's the spread of bullshit reality TV shows dumbing down yet more people to current affairs going on around them.

If God exists, why has it taken him so long to do anything. For example, it's generally accepted that Homo Sapien has been around for some 10's of thousands of years. Famine, disease and high mortality sweeping the land, women dying in childbirth, lifespan of the average human of around 20 years but decides just 2000 years ago "Okay, prehaps its time to intervene", have a only Son only to be torn to shreds in a remote part of Bronze Age Palestine, decide not to tell the Chinese or the indigenous people of Brazil and Australia at the time, nothing to do with the fact that the writers of these Testemounts didn't know these countries existed. The whole idea that you are supposed to swallow any of this is not just ridiculous, it's man made and worse its masculine made as the three major Abrahamic religions have been nothing but the utter subjecation of women.

You have Jewish males waking up every day, thanking God for not making him a woman or a Goi.

Women have a very tough time in Middle Eastern Islam, especially countries like Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iraq.

We all know what St Paul thought of women.

At this stage you might ask, well have a got another option, prehaps Bhudda. But then Bhuda was born from a slit in his mothers side. Anything but the filth and disgust of the female reproductory system.

Going back to Abraham, the story of him goes, God was feeling somewhat insecure one day and wanted to test Abrahams love for him. So he tells Abraham to kill his son Issac as proof to God that he loves him. And he would have done it had God not presented him a ram at the last moment. I will add that this is not a story about sacrifice, it's one about murder. If you were listening to voices in your head today to kill your son, the first thing you would do is get commited.

And lastly, for all of those that say "Well look around you! How else could you explain this", read a book on Geology for Gods sake..

Depends if the box is pretty or not.

Well, I'm a humanist, and I believe that the origin of religion is fear of many things, particularly death and the unknown, and so to encourage people to confront these issues on behalf of their ancestors sounds great. However, it's also worthy of note that many religions achieve good things, such as missionaries and whatever.

We'll wait until the missionaries have cured Africa, then I'll open the box.

But only if it's pretty.

Discuss.

I'd either destroy the box, or go to great lengths to hide it.

Part of what drives people, and has driven people since our species became intelligent, has been not knowing, but always thinking about the nature of the universe and how we got here. Though I do believe we will seek out the truth, what would we do once we find it?

Though religion isn't as popular today as it used to be, a lot of people still dedicate a huge portion of their lives to it, and put a lot of faith in God or whatever gods they believe in. It helps them get their bearings and know where they are in the world. If this is taken away from them (i.e if we were to provide 100% definite proof that no deity exists) they may break. A lot of people will suddenly feel very, very alone.

A lot of people would become very depressed, not just because people who had faith in deities and had felt at peace have had their peace disturbed / wrecked entirely, but also because a lot of atheists appear to be depressed or angry people. It's not the case for everyone, obviously, but with some of the more extreme atheists they do seem to be quite depressed. Why? Probably because they're struggling with the concept that we have no bloody clue what we are / why we exist, and when we die that is it.... Over.. No heaven, no hell, no return to paradise, no reincarnation as a rabbit.. Dead. People that have faith often need it to survive, as they have comforting thoughts to help them deal with the concept of death. Yes there are a lot of bad, controlling aspects of religions too (and yes extremists exist and make the world a terrible place), but it is the questions of "what the heck are we?", "why the frag are we here?" and "what the feck happens when we die? Surely we can't just end?" that religion ultimately gives people an answer for.

In my opinion, though not everyone is going to believe all this stuff (I myself am not really religious, though I believe it is healthy for the soul), I think a lot of people need some kind of belief in deities to help them keep their feet on the ground and stop going insane..

Opening a box and showing the world that God doesn't exist would only break millions of lives, and lives yet to exist. The suicide rates will be at an all time high, and so will crime. There will be a lot of angry, agitated and paranoid people around and the world could become ugly (I know it is largely like this anyway, and religion can spawn very narrow minded people who are afraid of everything too, but I blame that on the manipulation of religion and not the concept itself).

Last edited:
Alright let's put this into perspective. Take your moral foundation that you believe and trust in. Your center of self where when everything falls through the cracks you can hold on to "center". It is your last resort, the only thing keeping you from losing everything of who you are. The only thing that makes you care in this world.

That to me is "god." Otherwise you have no control. You have no faith in anything. You have no care and no willingness to do good in any shape or form. The only way of life would be self satisfaction; so you would do whatever to get to that little bump (cocaine-ish).

You would have no law to govern you, which may sound fun, but what if everyone else is the same way. Rape, Violence, Drugs, Constant Lying..

People going their own ways to fulfill their wants. We would be like animals without this thing.

Hince why I believe there is a god of some sort.. but I doubt very highly that is it the Hebrew or Christian gods. Way too flawed in my opinion, way too many loop holes.

I think whether there is proof he exists or not is useless. People who truly believe- will continue on with their beliefs. And those with wavering thoughts, that will set it straight for them. The proof we need, is already in our mind. I don't think anything will change what we think. We are a stubburn race, we hate to be wrong. Showing proof to the world that god doesn't exist? I don't think it will matter much.

It wouldn't do a single thing. I'd just toss it on the side of the highway. Believers take pride in the fact that they have convinced themselves of something completely unbelievable.

It's pretty hard to knock down pride such as that.

Being a Catholic, it's hard to say. This is something I followed for a long time, and if I ever find proof that God does not exist, I'd probably be confused for a while.

But ultimately, I'd show it to the world. If it really is a lie, I'd feel like I should tell everyone. I can't stand liars, and ironically, I'm very good at lying. :(

Another reason would be because everyone needs to know. Plus, some greedy preachers might lose money if this was a lie. I'd love to see their reaction any day of the week (boy, I'm messed up).

god does exist,hes everything around you,hes the air,hes the vibration,hes the one that makes the creepy noises in your house,hes the one that gives people paranoia,hes wise.

It's kind of a difficult question. I mean it might upset some religous people, or it might do absolutely nothing. It's really not that clear.

Not to mention that I find it difficult to believe that this would ever be possible. Unless there is proof that something else exists (by this I mean some means by witch everything is governed) then I would think it would be impossible. But if it did prove the existanse of something else then that could merely be god in disgise!

In all seriousness though, I wouldn't know what to do with it. I would knock someones door and leave it for them to decide what to do with the thing, too much pressure.

It would be impossible to prove that God doesn't exist, but I'll play along with this.

If I found it out I would destroy it and then sink into a deep depression. Well, only if that means there is no afterlife. If there was an afterlife and no God then I would show it to everyone and then I would be fine knowing that my loved ones are still 'alive' somewhere.

Whether the box contained proof that God does exist or proof that it does not, I would present it to the world so that the truth may be discovered.

But I'm not daft! I'd give it to someone respectable, who would submit it to peer reviewed scientific research.

Phoenyx: Doesn't that seem kind of selfish to you? You may not take well to the thought that there is no afterlife, but does that mean that you should destroy the answers to some of the oldest questions ever, so that no one else can observe them?

The real question is: Why would anybody want to find it themselves?
It's like death, it's an underrated situation. Any of us can freely say that facing an occasion in which we hold in our hands the power to disappear forever, or to influence the lives of many, many lives in the world, neither of us for any reason can truly say what we'd do. There are way too many variants and branches and conclusions and consequences, and right before we'd pick that box up regardless of our intentions, many of us would just think: "...do I really want to be responsible for this?"

It sounds kind of contradictory to me. How can there be proof that something doesn't exist? Wouldn't the proof itself not exist do to the fact that there would be no reason for it to be around. It's like making an eraser that specifically erases other erasers. But that doesn't answer the question at hand. I don't think I'd tell anyone. That would be too much hatred for me to handle. And honestly I don't think I'd open a box I find on the side of the road.

Back