Build-A-Member
Chocobo Egg
FFXIV
Aoife Linnaete
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
None
Sit down, everyone. Get a cuppa brew ready, because I am about to write up the most comprehensive review of this game ever conceived by a human. Or rather, that was the plan, but that requires too much unnecessary effort and there are only so many hours in the day and I'm not about to turn my typing fingers into mush.

LIV'S REVIEW OF FFXII: PART ONE
(IT'S PART ONE BECAUSE I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT BEING CONCISE MEANS.
IF YOU THINK I'M WASTING YOUR TIME, THINK HOW MUCH OF MY OWN TIME I MUST BE WASTING!)

h2x1_nswitch_finalfanc8jo8.jpg

Ah, Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age. A shinier, retweaked version of the...well, fairly controversial original game on the PlayStation 2. As this was still the PS2 era and Square-Enix hadn't yet grasped the concept of irony, their "International" versions of mainline entries were confined to Japan. That's right, everyone. If you call something "International", it...is not internationally released at all. Makes sense, y'all!

Though PAL markets were accidentally graced with the Dark Aeons and all those goodies from the "International" version of FFX (because it took that long to localise in FIGS, clearly!), we were all left out in the pouring rain when it came time for FFX-2 International + Last Mission and FFXII: International Zodiac Job Edition. Oh, the humanity.

But hey, fast forward a decade and we finally got our hands on the Zodiac release! Fast forward four more years and Liv finally got her greasy, moisturised mitts on this version of the game for the Nintendo Switch. As such this was to be her first time getting to grips with the plethora of changes, such as an auspicious new jobs system. No longer can I make Penelo a tank, beast attacker and a walking weapon of mass magical destruction. Now I had to assign party members to two jobs each, in hopes of creating a party with enough diversity of roles to at least survive being puked on by a Malboro.

PART 1: CHARACTERS!

EbJyy62WoAAtnbQ.jpg

1. Vaan

Oh, sweet, sweet desert abs. With metal rubbing against bare skin under a glaring desert sun and no sunblock in sight. Yeah, good luck running around the endless deserts around Dalmasca all comfortable in that, Vaan.

Vaan is the audience insert, only done nowhere near as elegantly as Tidus, that other young blonde FF hero who...isn't Zidane. Or Cloud. Okay, Square. You can tone down on the blonde male leads. Whereas Tidus is your classic fish out of water who we as an audience learn basic concepts and lore about Spira vicariously through, Vaan is more a grounded perspective of life in occupied Rabanastre. Through his eyes we organically witness events such as Rabanastrans (like Migelo) debasing themselves by acting with such deference towards their Archadian occupiers. In terms of grounded introductions and letting players empathise with street orphans with the trauma of recent war and present occupation very fresh on ordinary townfolks' lives, Vaan as a surrogate for this purpose gets the job done.

That is not to say Vaan isn't a character. He's often derided for being an ineffectual lead protagonist who becomes an observer in his own game, which, while true, undercuts the fact there is a fairly charming boy under the hood who I find rather affable. He's a lad who wants to aspire to be something far greater than some slayer of rats handling odd jobs in Rabanastre. The lad has an actual arc where he aspires to be a sky pirate, and this motivation remains fairly consistent. He's also curious and like a dumb teenager, has as much social grace as one. I'm actually surprised to see how much subtle chemistry he has with Basch. Likewise, it's a pleasant change for once to see a lead who never becomes an overbearing adonis of angst; at most he lashes out viciously at Basch when they first meet, but that is firstly the only instance, and secondly, wouldn't you react the same way if you came across the very figure who your own deceased brother testified as being a traitor to your homeland?

Soooo, that's Vaan. A naïve muffin but a young man of optimism and aspiration. The exact kind of person who the Occuria would have a miserable time attempting to manipulate, because while Ashe constantly looks back and sees a wretched recent history that she seeks to "fix", Vaan looks ahead and skyward. While not a good protagonist for an entire game, he serves his use as a more limited, but grounded audience surrogate, and the lad's alright as a person. Very inoffensive character.

2. Penelo

Who? What?

Oh, her.

She exists, I suppose?

You know it's bad when I squeeze out a few paragraphs for Vaan but have very little to say about this cinnamon roll.

Poor Penelo is so underutilised that she makes Lunafreya in FFXV look like a main protagonist. I'm genuinely curious as to what plans were originally conceived in mind for Penelo only to be dramatically scrapped and scaled back given FFXII's troubled development.

She starts off as a very, very, very brief and minor foil to Vaan. While he's content to steal from the Archadians occupying his homeland, Penelo feels justice should take form in a more altruistic and collective way; the money and property liberated from imperial bosoms should belong to the people and not to enrich Vaan's own selfish desire to go sky cruising. Justice that evidently shouldn't be done by loved ones close to her, because she heavily discourages and pleads with Vaan to give up his harebrained thievery schemes. She's the responsible foil to Vaan's reckless idealism, I suppose.

And umm

She's kidnapped and used as bait to draw out Balthier. Her usefulness in the story is only to give Vaan and crew an excuse to visit Bhujerba the first time.

Then she's under the ward of Larsa and...joins the party because she'd rather not be left behind in some weird foreign country?

Sorry, Penelo. I have very little to say about you. She's so inconsequential that she never ever even has a conversation with Ashe. I swear, those two never once interact in the entire game.

So really her only real role is, along with Vaan, be there to help humanise a conflict that's much larger than they are. The two of them give the conflict a sense of grounding, because rather than some unseen abstract conflict between two empires measuring their phalanxes somewhere else, it's a conflict that actually puts ordinary lives in Rabanastre at a dangerous crossroads.

3. Balthier

FFXII's Han Solo as he is commonly described. His co-pilot is even a furry non-human and being a sky pirate is not too far off from a galactic smuggler. But that's not fair. At least Balthier at no point finds himself frozen in carbonite and later forced to comically shoot wildly at the air around him while still blind from the ordeal.

I love Balthier. The man may be an archetype, but he's a good instance of one who injects so much needed personality to a game that I admit can be fairly drab and bleary. Some of his best moments don't even involve his silver tongue, but rather the subtle facial expressions and body language he projects in reaction to something. He non-verbally responds with mild annoyance when Vaan interrupts him to go wander around a dangerous imperial prison. He turns his head away in abject disgust and exasperation when Al-Cid does his best to hit on Ashe near the close of the story. They actually did a remarkable job of capturing characters' facial expressions given the limited polygons and the hardware at the time. When he's not grimacing, Balthier's dialogue is often gold, full of sharp wit and that beautiful tinge of dry sarcasm that will make any Brit wee themselves with delight.

I enjoy the extra depth they give him that does set him apart from other archetypical charming rogues. While he mostly tags along in hopes of plundering treasure in lieu of Ashe's debt to him, you finally at least know what his deal with when he talks about his father. As far as he knew, his father turned mad six years ago and began creating weapons of mass destruction, and if Balthier were to accept the position of a Judge, his life would have been entirely under the constricting thumb of his father's destructive madness and the brutal machinations of the Solidors. The man has every reason to want to flee from that dangerous nest, pursue freedom on his own terms and sever himself morally and geographically from the crimes his father is doomed to commit.

There's a good reason why Balthier is such a favourite in the whole series and why he's the only representative of the game in World of Final Fantasy even if only as DLC.

4. Fran

Uhh. Sexy Chewbacca?

Like with Penelo, there isn't much to Fran that I consider compelling or interesting. The Eruyt village portion of the game is interesting less so for what it achieves for Fran as a character (because quite honestly, it doesn't do much), but for what insight it gives us about Viera society. Fran from their point of view, turned her back on the Wood by leaving its boughs to see the conflict-ridden world outside. In turn, the Wood turned its back on her.

Like how Vaan and Penelo serve as lenses through which we the player see the world through from a grounded Rabanstran's perspective, Fran is the conduit through whom we truly understand just how willingly insular the Viera community is. It does intrigue me that Fran goes against the conventional trope of challenging this kind of extreme reclusive society; she instead warns her sister not to make such a foolhardy decision as she, because to pursue freedom and abandon the Wood means a life of a very different kind of seclusion. To leave the Wood is to forsake kin, so from the average Viera perspective, there is the ultimate irony that pursuing freedom is to pursue crushing seclusion and loneliness.

And why should Fran seek to challenge Viera society? What right has she to push back against a culture that honestly does no harm to anyone? Anyone who has ever left did so by their own volition, and it's not they were hunted down for doing so. It's not like the Church of Scientology where you can never leave and it's a giant cult.

But yeah, Fran herself is very thin as a character. Good lore, just not a very compelling character. Nevertheless, her stupid design aside, I do like her. I utterly adore the distinct accent they gave her that really helps elevate a sense of authenticity with Ivalice as a world of diverse cultures.

5. Ashe

Also known as the actual story protagonist of FFXII, because it's ultimately her quest, and it's a conflict she is most intimately connected to on a personal level.

I think she's fairly underrated too. I understand players' frustrations with her, because most of the time she's an angry, vengeful spirit who is rude to people (Vaan in particular) and is a fairly one track-minded soul, but that's really not all there is to her. It's similar to how a lot of people opt to put on a façade of what they perceive to be an outward show of strength, to make up for internal insecurity and the pressure of having all this responsibility on their shoulders. Peel back that façade and you do find a character who is far more vulnerable than her outward appearance suggests; the Occuria stringing her along clearly recognise this when they choose to create a vision of Rasler to beckon her. Whereas someone like Vaan has grander aspirations that keep him motivated and able to move on from all that he has lost, Ashe is utterly unable to, because any conceivable future for her intrinsically involves dwelling on the past over and over again. It is a past she must correct.

It's all well and good being driven to correct injustice, but what can you do when you lack power or belief in yourself to do so? Hence why Ashe comes close to being a genuine threat and an antihero. Hence why the Occuria can so easily bait her. Had she not met regular people like Vaan, or idealists like Larsa who demonstrate that another path exists, who knows how Ashe could have turned out. She could just as easily disregard the lives of ordinary Archadians. It's easy to conflate a nation's rulers and its people after all. What would have stopped her conscience otherwise from accepting the Occurias' gift and just nuke Archadia from the map completely? In turn, what would have stopped her from being so drunk on newfound power she's never learnt to handle before that she simply becomes another despot?

Ashe is a badass by the end not because she's angry or tells Vaan to shut up. Her time to shine is when she rejects the power offered to her finally realising that it is alien to what her country stands for. It is precisely because of the people she's journeyed with that she realises the futility of being so driven by the past that the only possible way to course correct and bring justice is to mete out the same. Her idea of justice would not have been the peace and security that her kingdom and her people yearned for. To acquiesce would have been to become yet another designed despot, robbed of her humanity and her agency. Ashe's badass moment is when she finds her own agency at long last.

So when you consider her flaws and her arc, Ashe is one of the most well-realised and human characters in the series.

6. Basch

I like Basch. I'd love to have a beer with him. He's also like a teddy bear in that he's affable and actually has a good sense of humour. Heck, I'd argue he has more of a sense of humour than Balthier. There are moments when another side of Basch subtly emerges that isn't simply MUH DUTY AND HONOUR. He actually has banter with Vaan several times throughout the story, humouring his ambitions to be a sky pirate, and chuckling affectionately like a dad when Penelo tells him she's tougher than she looks. I imagine once you get to know the guy more, Basch is the sort of guy to start cracking dad jokes if you give him long enough.

Let's just say Basch is a much better Angeal (from Crisis Core: FFVII) than Angeal himself. Why Angeal prattles on about honour all the time is beyond me given who he works for. Carrying a massive sword around that he doesn't even use because honour makes no sense either. Nah, get out of here, Angeal. Basch's code of conduct at least makes sense. The man feels he abandoned his previous homeland of Landis, and also failed another nation he swore his blade to the night when Rasler died and Dalmasca effectively fell. Because Basch as a person is tankier than even the most stalwart of warriors with a Protect buff and a Bubble Belt equipped, he's not about to let something like past tragedies and a sense of abject failure keep him down. No, this man is too duty-bound to die.

As there's nothing all that complicated about Basch, I'll probably go against the grain and say he wouldn't make a very compelling alternative protagonist either. What else can I say about Basch? The guy has your back and will sooner go to his grave than discard everything he stands for.

7. Vayne Solidor

I remember when Vayne was revealed as a new DLC fighter for the now-abandoned Dissidia NT game. Most of the internet just collectively groaned, because this wasn't Tifa. Or Aerith. Or hell, even Quina could have been a more popular choice of fighter.

Sure, Vayne is nowhere near as sexy as Tifa, Aerith or Quina, but hear me out here. I do think he's a genuinely decent villain, and a very different kind of terrifying villain than anyone else in the series.

No, he's not "fun" like Kefka. No, he won't have fangirls drawing topless fanart of him like for Sephiroth. There's no sexy midriff to show off or a tail to hide like with Kuja. Thank the lords he is not Seymour. He's no Caius either. Nor is he is a delightful troll like Ardyn.

But he is a fairly scary tyrant.

Vayne's strength is that he isn't a cartoon villain. While Judge Magister Bergan may feel it necessary to give out a rapturous soliloquy before a battle, Vayne saves it for the people he seeks to win over. When he makes a speech in Rabanastre declaring himself champion and protector of the people in memory of their fallen royal family, it very likely is a glorious piece of disingenuous theatre, but it works. It helps pacify verbal discontent amongst the citizenry, because here is a man who though may be the face of a conqueror, is saying the right things. He's claiming to rule with accountability and it's a masterful display of cunning pragmatism. Better to win people over even if reluctantly than to risk permanent rebellion by being a horrendous despot who makes life hell for everyone in the provinces. You also see this when he acts all charming to Migelo. In reality of course he doesn't give a shit about Rabanastrans like Migelo or the stunning external beauty of a cathedral of Galtean architecture. It's all a show to display him as a man of the people.

This is all significant because it makes Vayne a more realistic villain than most. Out of every other main antagonist in the series, Vayne comes closest to a despot you may find in real life history or the present day. His is a firm but fair hand. A viper in one instance and a brave lion the next. He doesn't need to be an outward megalomaniac with designs to destroy the world in a twisted attempt to save it, like Seymour. Vayne aptly justifies his instinct for conquest and hegemony as part of a greater pursuit to let humanity write its own destiny in lieu of the Occuria.

And herein lies Vayne's hypocrisy. To declare himself a new Dynast-King to shepherd all Ivalice under Archadia's rule is functionally no different to that of the Occuria making Ashe their new Dynast-King (Queen?). Is man truly free to be the arbiter of his own destiny when it's under the diktats of the Archadian Empire? In that sense, besides the immortality, is man any different when he seeks to play God? Well, I've clearly thought about this more than Vayne, which is why I would have a sword poking through my chest right now if I were standing in front of him.

8. Larsa Solidor

I stan Larsa!

If Vayne is about cold, hard pragmatism backed with military muscle, Larsa is more the hippie young lad who firmly believes in the virtues of cooperation over coercion. Genuine cooperation that is, not Vayne's fake theatre version of it.

Sure, I'm a little perplexed as to how and why Larsa ended up being so idealistic and worldly when the guy is only supposedly twelve, but he's the principal representation of another side to Archadia. There are Archadians capable of desiring peace even at the very top echelons; they aren't all monolithic militaristic monsters who ought be punished by Ashe for revenge.

Still, I don't have high hopes for his rule. If modern fantasy has taught me anything, it's that Larsa is one easy coup away by an unruly and belligerent faction from having his overtures to lasting peace be quickly upturned.

9. Judge Magister Gabranth

I feel FFXII's lacklustre storytelling also does little service to Gabranth, because contrary to his central position as the Amano logo for the game, Gabranth honestly does not make many appearances in the game, and the party does not actually confront him until near the end of the actual story. It's a shame, because with a bit more showing, there could have been a lot more to say about this character.

While Basch is solemn about his past failures and the fall of at least two nations he fought in defence for, he does not allow his failures to define him. He remains true to his code and continues the fight, knowing full well his duty is not yet done. Though a disgraced man, Basch continues to fight with his head held high. Gabranth by contrast has no idea how to process his joint failure at defending Landis from Archadia. To him, any notion of honour died when his home nation fell, so despite now serving as one of the highest military positions in all Archadia, Gabranth lives his life knowing full well he is already a pathetic failure and little more than a complicit dog serving a more powerful master. He perceives his twin brother's decision to run away and fight for Dalmasca instead as abandoning his family, and so projects his anger toward Basch. Why is Basch able to still fight with dignity while he has to exert all his effort to keep that helmet on to disguise his ruined, shamed self? That inability to process their difference in turn dials up his anger toward Basch even more.

Yeeeeeeah, I just wish the story did more to show this instead of rushing through Gabranth's emotions at the very final parts of the story. This is animosity between brothers like how Liquid Snake isn't exactly Solid Snake's biggest fan, but I wish they did something a bit more with it and had done it sooner. Still, I like Gabranth's story, and it's fitting how they conclude his and Basch's story.

10. Dr Cid

Look, we already have Vayne as a more realistic kind of villain, and we have Gabranth as a sympathetic antivillain. So why not have Dr Cid be this cartoon ready to chew the whole scenery and be hammier than a pork processing plant. He's a very fun and straightforward character, and his voice actor is having so much fun.

He's just a mad scientist drunk on the smell of his own farts and feels he's qualified to be a god amongst men. To a greater degree than Vayne, Dr Cid is a massive hypocrite. Overthrow God to be God despite the whole narrative about how humanity ought to have free rein over its destiny.

At least he isn't the worst father ever. Heck, he's actually not the worst dad there is. He looked out for his son and pulled strings to try and give him a major senior Judge position, but what did his ungrateful son do? Run away. Pfft. What dad would dedicate this much effort if he didn't have high hopes for his son?

11. Marquis Ondore

Don't listen to his lies.

12. The rest of the characters

• Vossler - This guy is cold, hard pragmatism exemplified. He's experienced so much shit that he's sick of it all and it's an understandable position to take. Vossler is quite a decent character to demonstrate that the central conflict in FFXII isn't black and white. Many might argue he wasn't necessary wrong to seek peace negotiations with Archadia to secure quick peace even if this peace would come at the cost of justice.
  • Reddas - Other characters too shackled by the past may pursue revenge, but Reddas seeks to correct his. He's also a guy who single-handedly brought order to a lawless pirate town, so mad respect to this guy.
  • Migelo - He's a loving father figure who reluctantly realises the kids have the fly from the nest eventually. He's also a smart business owner who knows he has no choice but to butter up the imperials' backsides by being all deferential to them. Migelo is a good example of ordinary Rabanastrans having to grit their teeth and bear it, because at the end of the day, they still have to live and keep their businesses open.
  • Venat - it exists? It's Ivalice's Prometheus giving fire to humanity, except if the fire is actually the knowledge to make weapons of mass destruction. Venat is basically an arms dealer.
  • Judge Magister Ghis - Dumbass. Managed to sink the unsinkable Titanic.
  • Judge Magister Bergan - You know how I said FFXII is fairly good at avoiding black and white characters? Yeah, Bergan is fairly unmistakably evil and a massive fan of dictatorships and military strongmen.
  • Judge Magister Drace - A waste of a character and I'm bummed that they gave her so little to do. A Solidor loyalist but to Larsa who sticks to the rule of law she is charged to protect and who is deeply suspicious of Vayne's machinations. And so underutilised. I can't tell which character was more wasted: Drace or Jihl Nabaat from FFXIII.
  • Judge Magister Zargabaath - He exists. A doe-eyed puppy who has no choice but to obey his master, no matter how unpalatable the mission.

So all in all, FFXII's characters are an eclectic mix of some surprising and overlooked depth and wasted opportunities. It's compounded by the fact that our six central characters feel like people who have to put up with one another than a genuine group of friends who have gone through a lot together. They never really gel, and as I outlined earlier, you can really see this when you realise that Ashe and Penelo literally never have a conversation as far as I know. I've never seen this with any other Final Fantasy game, and I suspect this too was the product of a difficult, troubled and protracted development.

PART 2: STORY!

7uk6x.jpg

You really made a pig of yourselves.

It has problems.

It's a story with a lot of promise that wears its many scars of a troubled development. Like how Final Fantasy XV's nightmarish development leading up to release dealt grievous blows to how it told and structured its story, Final Fantasy XII similarly carries the unsightly consequences of its own saga behind closed doors, namely with its narrative and how it is put together.

The beginning of FFXII starts off strong. You see an opening depicting an invasion of Nalbina and a vain battle fought in defence of Dalmasca. The opening prologue mission has a fairly predictable conclusion, but it sets the stage and it more importantly sets the tone. This is to be a story of war, of political intrigue and machinations, and of betrayals. This is Yasumi Matsuno taking Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre and giving them the mainline series treatment.

I can understand the complaints about having to follow Vaan for a good half a dozen hours or so before the Resistance really comes to the forefront. It's difficult to go from a bombastic opening to a very slow beginning portion of the game with a street kid who's also really into thievery and pickpocketing. That said, it's still a crucial introduction, because it introduces the player to Rabanastre - a city still licking the wounds of conquest just two years prior, and through the eyes of Vaan and Penelo do we gain glimpses of living ordinary life as orphaned street kids who have lost parents and loved ones either to war or to plague. It is unfortunately the only time Penelo genuinely has any time to "shine" as it were, though unfortunately her character right now only comes across as a nagging and overly responsible other half.

I would say the story is at its best from Vaan's palace infiltration all the way up to the destruction of the Leviathan following the Tomb of Raithwall. It's during this large chunk of the first half of the game that it becomes apparent this is no longer Vaan's story despite his billing as the marketed main protagonist. We're not necessarily following the story of a lowly blonde kid who goes from nothing to world saviour, so there's one element to FFXII that isn't like Star Wars. Ashe effectively takes over as narrative protagonist and I'll have to admit, she isn't the most endearing character. She's abrasive and mostly one-note, though some of her most interesting moments are when she lets her vulnerability slip out from under the façade temporarily when she sees the phantom Rasler beckoning to her.

Vossler betraying the party is a fairly shocking moment and it hits you because...the man has a point. Some people aren't idealists, but pure pragmatists. Why waste more lives and effort pursuing an idealistic course of action that you feel to be unattainable and unrealistic when you can potentially negotiate peace right now even if one has to swallow their pride and leave some debts unpaid? It's like me when I meet with clients who wish to sue an employer. No one really wants to litigate, but some people persist to the end not necessarily because of money, but for a sense of justice, when they could also come to some kind of agreement with the employer over mediation or arbitration and settle a lot sooner. Oh my god, have I somehow managed to squeeze my line of work into a long FFXII topic?

It is then such a shame that very little happens in the story in the massive chunk of the game stretching from the sinking of the Leviathan up to the Imperial City of Archades. I'm talking the huge section of the game all the way south of Ivalice and all the way up north to Archadia. Don't get me wrong, there are some standout moments. Ashe and Vaan having a talk about their contrasting views of the world and how they handle their pasts is a good character moment for them (I wish there was more...). The Eruyt village side story fleshes out the lore of Ivalice but does little to make Fran a more fleshed out and compelling character. The cutscene of the Emperor's assassination and the aftermath is one of the best in the entire series only ruined by the fact that Drace is a wasted character who had the potential to be so much more. The Mt. Bur-Omisace attack is a sublime show of this particularly cruel side of the Archadian Empire, though on my replay I have to admit that Bergan's dramatic monologue before the boss fight is long and rather silly.

Another element of rather sloppy story retooling during troubled development is the fact the whole time the main characters are just chasing after MacGuffin items. They trek to Jahara to find answers for how to use the drained Dawn Shard. They find no answers there. They decide to trek all the way to Mt. Bur-Omisace instead in hopes that the Gran Kiltias may bestow answers. They arrive and find that the original plan is unworkable because the Emperor is dead and Vayne is now autocrat. So they now go tomb raiding in the Stilshrine of Miriam to find a sword. Then they travel all the way north to Archadia on foot to find the Dusk Shard in Dr Cid's possession and presumably cut it to pieces. Instead Dr Cid makes everyone go to Giruvegan. The party arrives at Giruvegan and the Great Crystal...only for the Occuria to bestow Ashe yet another sword. Why do we even have two swords that functionally do the same thing? And then we go all the way up to the top of Pharos to find the mother of all magical stones.

It's a shame. FFXII's first half has so much good, only for most of the second half to be looooooong stretches of looking for MacGuffin stones or swords to cut the stones with. I still enjoy a lot of what we have of it, don't get me wrong, but after a replay I absolutely don't blame people for thinking this has to be one of the least engaging narratives in the series. When FFXII's story beats go in hard, they're some of the highest heights. When it's just several hours worth of barely anything narratively going on and you're navigating through yet another dreary, boxy dungeon for some kind of stone again or whatever, it can be some of the lowest lows.

That said, the slog to the top of Pharos is absolutely worth it. Some of the best directed cutscenes and acting happen at the top, and it's smooth sailing all the way to the end, even if I feel the confrontation with Gabranth takes place extraordinarily late into the story. The ending is fairly ho hum as far as I'm concerned. It's not winning many awards and nor will it shed many tears, but hey, I like the theme song of Kiss Me Goodbye at least!

So I rate the story a

Oh my God, Matsuno, why couldn't you have stayed? :sad3:/10

NEXT PARTS: THE ACTUAL GAME ITSELF AND ALL THAT. WHENEVER I HAVE TIME TO WRITE THE REST BECAUSE GOOD GRIEF.

Last edited:
"It was a good idea," I thought to myself. Let's write up a fairly comprehensive but not ludicrously long review of FFXII and now look what happened. I had to split it into parts and the first one is an entire essay that does not even talk about a single aspect of the game's design. I haven't even started talking about the game itself.

LIV'S REVIEW OF FFXII: PART TWO
(IF WE'RE LUCKY, THERE WON'T NEED TO BE A PART THREE. PLEASE GOD, DON'T MAKE ME DRAG IT OUT ANY LONGER THAN TWO PARTS, PLEASE. WE ALL HAVE LIVES TO LIVE. OR RATHER, SOME OF US DO.)

PART 3: COMBAT AND STUFF

bcffgkux.png

1. Claim #1: "This game just plays itself!"

Yes and no. It all depends on how you utilise the Gambits system. If say, you deck out Vaan with all conceivably useful Gambits available to him, such as being able to swing his sword at the nearest land enemy he sees, can cast Thundaga or use a Telekinesis Technik on the nearest flying enemy he sees that is invulnerable to non-ranged attacks, and can cast a plethora of Cura and Esuna spells whenever a party member is low on HP or inflicted with a variety of harmful status ailments...well of course then your Vaan there will be an absolute stonking machine with big boy brains.

If you're smart with Gambits and set up your party so that they know to debuff enemies, attack enemies, take advantage of elemental weaknesses, heal each other, cleanse each other and any other miscellaneous action such as ensuring Libra or Protectga is always active, you could theoretically walk through a whole map killing everything in sight without having to input a single command.

But you don't have to do that. I too am terrified of overly intelligent party members. Maybe their smarts should be knocked down several pegs. Make it so that Vaan here is completely inept and unable to fulfill basic tasks without the eminent guidance of You, the player. And you can do that if you wish. You can either turn off all Gambits on the spot or simply not deck out your characters' Gambit boards with up to a dozen useful strategies for every occasion. Now you have a party of three or four dummies who would rather curl up into a foetal position and sob when a sentient tomato starts headbutting them.

Yes, how much agency your characters have will totally depend on how much agency you give them. In my case, I preferred a full board of Gambits when running through zones slaying regular enemies if I needed to build up some levels and acquire a bit of loot. That way coupled with the x2 or even x4 turbo mode function, the player can easily make whole grinding sessions or treks across large maps go by in a relative blur. It minimalises having to stop to cast heals or Esunas, because my Ashe is already programmed to know to do that automatically.

If you the player feels your optimal Gambit setup still makes trivial work of boss encounters, you could always tweak things before the fight to give you as much player agency as you wish. In fact, half of FFXII's combat is less the actual goings-on in battle but rather the preparations you make prior to charging into the boss room. Turn off all Gambits pertaining to healing status ailments if you wish. Then you can spend much of the boss fight stopping to manually cast Esuna or throw out Remedies for that semi-authentic classic Final Fantasy experience. You can even go into the options and choose to enable Wait mode, so that the game effectively pauses when you bring up the menu.

If you choose to approach boss encounters with ALL Gambits disabled in hopes of replicating a classic FF experience, it's certainly do-able, albeit considerably clunkier than with an ordinary ATB or Conditional Turn-Based system. The good news is that if you mistakenly give a party member the wrong command, you can override it by quickly bringing up their menu again and rectifying it so long as Wait mode is enabled. Active mode is for someone more used to something like Final Fantasy X-2's combat; enemies will still be swinging at you in real-time while you feverishly cycle through character menus looking for that Haste spell.

2. Claim #2: "But setting up Gambits for every character is boring and sucks!"

Well at least the Zodiac Age version makes the process a bit less painful. In the original release, shops would sell you new Gambit targets in waves as you progressed through the story, meaning in the first half of the game you would find yourself with egregious gaps that you couldn't fill up until later. The Zodiac Age version changes it up so that Gambits stores can sell you the entire inventory at the outset so long as you have the Gil on hand and the patience to sit through every single manual purchase. And now that means you needn't worry about missing certain Gambits.

I agree that organising and reorganising Gambits can be a tedious affair. I found this out when I had to completely retool my strategy against the Esper Exdeath. Without the ability to cast Magick, it effectively rendered Penelo (my Black Mage) and Ashe (my White Mage) fairly useless as they were. Suddenly I had to replace all variations of Cure Gambits with ones for X-Potions and Esuna Gambits for things like Remedy. After felling Exdeath, I had to reorganise the Gambits back to what they had previously been, and while it doesn't exactly take up a lot of time, it's not super enjoyable. That's admittedly part and parcel of having to make extraordinary preparations before fairly difficult boss encounters. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and upend your comfortably set-in strategy.

Otherwise the Gambits system is fairly straightforward and doesn't require too many big boy brain cells. For instance, you could do something like:
  • If a party member has a Job with access to the Libra Technik, program them to constantly cast Libra so that its effect is always active
  • If an enemy is revealed to have a weakness to the fire element, program someone to cast the Oil status ailment on the enemy weak to fire
  • THEN program in a Gambit to have a Black Mage or whoever cast Firaga or something on an enemy inflicted with the Oil status ailment.
  • Profit!
3. Claim #3: "Why does everyone and their mother fart harmful status ailments at my party?!"

Yup. FFXII is fairly notorious for its number of status ailments and how gleefully willing even ordinary enemies are to share some of the love with you. Never mind the usual suspects like Malboros and Coeurls; you expect nothing but trouble from them. But just a jolly jog through a labyrinthine sewer system underneath Rabanastre can run into serious unexpected trouble when a big frog suddenly decides to cast Confuse on you all.

Therefore, equipment in this game is just as paramount. Someone like your primary healer for instance should have something equipped to ward off the Silence status ailment, or at the very least has an active Gambit whereby they immediately give themselves a Remedy or Echo Herbs to minimalise disruption as much as possible. Often or not, using items to remove status ailments is much faster than to rely on the healer to cast Esuna one at a time, because casting magic is not instant. So to save some time, support your healer by having other party members throw their weight in and chuck healing items at each other. Your healer will thank you. Probably.

I think one of the most evil status ailments ever invented for this game is Disease. In other games, it's basically when party members are wounded. They sustain damage and their maximum HP drops with each hit, meaning even if you cast Raise or throw a Phoenix Down on them after they're mauled to death, their maximum HP is only at 1. I personally don't remember if there's anything to guard against Disease besides a Ribbon, so you'll unfortunately have to rely on the Cleanse spell for your White Mage muuuuuch later on in the game, or use Serums which are - once again - only widely available for sale veeeeeeeery late into the game. Disease sucks.

4. Claim #4: "The guest party member and Espers suck in the original game!"

For context, the original release of FFXII did not allow you to manually control guest party members or Espers in battle. Their actions were completely controlled by the AI and guests had the added benefit of having access to a seemingly endless separate stock of curative items. This means in the original release if Larsa was throwing Remedies around, he wasn't taking a single Remedy from your own inventory.

The Zodiac Age release changes it up so that you can now actually tweak the Gambits of guest characters and give them manual commands in battle. With Espers when summoned, you can both give them manual commands and control them in battle, so if your big space nuke cannon Ultima wishes to debase herself by running away from a pack of Coeurls instead of smiting them with holy judgement, you can do that.

This comes at the consequence of guest characters now having to use items from your inventory. Now Larsa isn't wantonly throwing his own Remedies around. He's using yours now. You better tell him to stop by tweaking his Gambits before he uses them all. I found this out a bit too late nearer to the end of the game when Reddas was casually passing Serums around to cleanse the Disease ailment despite, 1) I had Ashe with a Cleanse spell; and 2) I HAD VERY FEW SERUMS, REDDAS. YOU WENT AHEAD AND USED UP ALL BUT ONE, YOU BELLEND! So moral of the story is, keep an eye on your guest characters' Gambits too.

Besides the inventory downside, I'd certainly say guest party members now have more flexibility and utility than ever now that the player can micromanage their AI and give them manual commands. The Espers are still fairly mixed in terms of what they bring to the table. It will depend on which Esper you bring out - the ones you acquire from tougher boss battles later in the game and who require up to three Mist charge bars to summon will of course be more immediately potent and useful on the spot than something like Belias.

5. Claim #5: "Quickenings are just worse Limit Breaks!"

I think calling them "Quickenings" is a hilarious misnomer when you consider that if you want to pull off a decently long chain of them, the entire sequence is no way, shape or form quick.

The good news in this version is that Quickenings no longer sap your MP and leaving your mages running on empty. If you unlock all three tiers of Quickenings per character in their respective License Boards, you'll have access to all three available levels of Quickenings to use in battle to boost the potency of your Limit Break sequence.

I'll be honest, I still never got the hang of this system. The goal is to chain Quickenings together to build up combos so as to raise your Mist Gauge. The more you do, the more an opportunity you have to keep the combo chain going. The final concurrence attack at the end of the chain depends on what you've managed to string together, but I honestly don't really understand it too well myself. Quite frankly, there's quite a bit of pot luck involved and you need a decently fast reaction to squeeze out at least a few more rounds of your combo chain. On the Switch you can frantically tap ZR to "reshuffle" the deck and hope you can land on a usable Mist Charge attack but that comes at the cost of greatly reducing the amount of time you have to react when it's time for the next character to prep for their followup attack.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Quickenings and I did not want to use them unless it was a last resort. I'm sure if I practised it more and looked up thorough YouTube guides for how to maximise the system then I could have squeezed a lot more juice out of it than I normally would, but I could not be bothered to sit through so many long, repetitive attack animations in a row. Given how the Quickening system works, you cannot even skip the animations either. This is a no from me, and I hope no one else attempts the Quickening system as a substitute for Limit Breaks ever again.

6. Claim #6: "Boss fights and invincibility shields are silly."

Quite a few bosses pull up temporary invincibility shields, presumably to stop overpowered parties from killing them too quickly. This means your physical and/or magical attacks will have no effect on the boss and for a good minute or two you're forced to survive its onslaught of attacks.

I've never liked this system. It's just cheap and irritating. It's not like the boss seizes the opportunity to enter into a new phase where its attacks change up and the battle becomes more dangerous - so much so that the minute or two of pure survival counts for something. If you're able to reduce the boss's health bar down far enough while doing damage and surviving, waiting for the invincibility shield to wear off while just simply surviving does not amount to a challenge. It's just a waiting game.

PART 4: JOBS AND THE LICENSE BOARD

17fgjj08.jpg

Anyone wearing a fedora without a license will be carted off immediately to Nalbina dungeon.

In Japan, the PS2 version of The Zodiac Age is known as the International Job Zodiac System or something to that effect. As its name elegantly suggests, this means a Jobs system based on the twelve signs of the Zodiac! That's music to the ears of FFIII, FFV, FFX-2, FFXI and FFXIV fans, unless your job of choice is a Dragoon. Sorry, Dragoons. Not only are the spear wielders of Ivalice not named Dragoons, but you lot will have to find another game where you can tank the floor.

Instead of a uniform License Board for everyone, their setup will now differ depending on the jobs they take up. That's jobs with a plural, because each party member can take on up to two jobs at a time. Wow, the economy in Ivalice can't be all that laudable when young people still have to take up two jobs just to earn enough Gil. Two jobs per character means they have access to two different License Boards each. This is handy, because you can deliberately choose a second job that comes with a board with unlockable perks that help offset the disadvantages of the primary job. Say for example, you have Ashe as a White Mage but you're a little concerned that her lower max HP means she's squishier than say, a Knight. You could therefore choose a complementary second job to address that issue.

Personally for example I decided to make Balthier both a Time Battlemage and a Foebreaker. Time Magic is incredibly useful for two reasons: Haste/Hastega, and Float, because the game infuriates me with the endless number of dangerous traps laid out on the ground that are invisible unless someone casts Libra. The Foebreaker side gives Balthier access to a plethora of useful debuff Technicks, perfect for boss encounters and stronger elite enemies. So it's the ability to mix and match like this that creates a plethora of strategical ways to build your party.

The best part is, thanks to a post-release patch, the game also lets you change your mind and respec into a new job(s) simply by visiting Montblanc at Clan Centurio in Rabanastre. This removes the anxiety of having to make extra sure you're choosing decent complementary jobs for your party. Montblanc can simply refund all the License Points you spent and wipe the slate clean. The only annoying thing is that after you make job switches you will have to manually unlock all licences again for that character.

Another key strategic aspect is the fact certain parts of a Licence Board cannot be reached except by unlocking a requisite Esper for that character. For example, a Machinist would not ordinarily have access to Time Magic spells unless their other job is a Time Battlemage. Giving that Machinist the Esper Famfrit will therefore unlock nodes for spells like Hastega, Reflectga and Slowga. This is a rather interesting system because it encourages you to think a little harder about how you want to shape your party and how you can optimise things like utility and how versatile you want your crew to be.

Yes, it is very silly that you cannot equip items you freshly purchased without first dumping enough License Points into that particular node, so long as your characters' jobs are able to equip said item. It's an unavoidable part of FFXII that you'll have to embark in some grinding at the very least just to accrue enough License Points and loot to sell for money just to purchase anything.

But all in all, I quite like the new system. Sure, being confined to two jobs means I can no longer go the whole hog and make practically everyone an absolute adonis of tankiness, high HP, high magical ATK, insane levels of MP and have free access to every type of magic spell there is. The upside is, it may encourage you to dedicate some usage to characters you ordinarily wouldn't think to use unless as backup. Heck, I even used Penelo near the end for a few dungeons! Granted, I did turn her into an unstoppable magical nuke machine, so that was probably why. So yes, it may not offer the incredible freedom as something like FFX's Sphere Grid, but then you have to remember how much work and time it takes to make everyone max out their Sphere Grid. Only a mad person would willingly do that.

PART 5: THE WORLD OF IVALICE

final_fantasy_xii_thed4jji.jpg

THE GOOD!

Ivalice is a matter of taste. It will not be to everyone's liking. But good lord, I'm utterly in love with the world of Ivalice is depicted, as I think out of any mainline FF title that isn't an MMO, Ivalice is the best realised setting, with flairs and flavours that create a sense of authenticity that you don't typically find elsewhere.

Let's take a look at the game's cities and towns. The game was originally a PlayStation 2 title so it's naturally bound by the technical limitations of its day. Cities are divided into fairly bite-sized zones and there's no actual real-time dynamic NPC cycle like there is for modern RPGs such as the Xenoblade series. What there is however, is a form of scripted dynamism where certain NPCs and townsfolk you talk to will convey different things depending on where you are in the story or before and after completion of fairly key sidequests. It's like something from Falcom's Trails/Kiseki series of RPGs, only nowhere near as comprehensive. For example, someone at the plaza area of Rabanastre near the loading screen to the shops on the eastern side of the city will comment about a certain very unkempt, dirty and smelly blonde man with long shaggy man making his way past. Later that very person will be fretting about rumours of war. It's very small, but helps paint the little illusion of a living world by PS2 standards.

You can fly in airships from city to city, traveling with the rest of the plebs. This is all optional but I love it for what it brings to the table, because you're meeting commuters of different races going to and fro for different reasons and Ivalice feels really lived in. While we're here, let's look at settlements and cities. There's diversity to settings that give each city its unique flair. Rabanastre has distinctive Byzantine architecture and the character of the city is mostly defined by firstly, being in the middle of a massive desert, and secondly for its economic inequality. The more glamorous and bright sunlit surface is contrasted quite sharply with the dingy, more crowded and narrower warrens of Lowtown, where those of lesser means and repute eek out a living below the surface. There's at least one other apartment besides Old Dalan's you can enter, and passing by all these shady stores and businesses help build an immersive picture of an almost-entirely different but functioning society under the city.

A similar thing can be said about Archades with the rift between the staggering glamour and affluence of the main metropolis and that of Old Archades resembling a favela. You find an NPC in Old Archades staring wistfully at the main city, hoping that her lover in the city would find success and one day come back for her. Later in a shop in Archades you find the very man whom she's referring to and he's basically lost all hope and curses his folly of believing he could actually make something of himself in the city. That coupled with the weird chops system of power through information in Archades means you get a fairly clear picture of a very socially and economically stratified society with very few examples of successful upward social mobility. I know players get frustrated when they have to run around acquiring the necessary chops in Archades before they're able to visit Draklor, but all that running around isn't without its purpose. It's the opportunity to get to know the citizenry of Archades, how they think and what their lives are like.

You have Bhujerba doing what very few fantasy games (or fantasy anything) do. People there speak with what I think is a Sri Lankan accent and use greetings or end their sentences with words based on Sanskrit. And I love it. The usage of different accents and vocabularies make each setting unique and makes Ivalice genuinely look like a world of diverse cultures. Even in Rabanastre, the attention to detail extends to people like Ashe and Basch speaking more formally while Vaan and Penelo sound like everymen. The Viera from Eruyt speak with their own distinctive accent and I've already gone into detail earlier about their own reclusive culture unlike anything else in Ivalice. Every culture looks and feels very different and authentically so, from the Garif in Jahara always wearing masks to even the Occuria who speak in an antiquated and poetic iambic pentameter. Heck, the Giza Plains is unique in that it actually IS genuinely dynamic and changes based on your console's system clock. The nomads who live in the Plains evacuate come the rains and return in the dry. There's a living world in there that's impressive for a PS2 title.

I like the diversity in biomes too, even if it doesn't have the unique personality of Spira's clear Southeast Asian influences. Final Fantasy XV for example confined you to an open world that was only desert, grassland, forest, swamp and a volcano. Here, you have the full gamut of environments. The deserts around Rabanastre. The windy mountains of Mosphora near Nabradia. The ominous, foreboding and melancholic misty ruins of Nabudis. The snowy Paramina Rift. The bright sunshine and open air of the Phon Coast. The calm tranquility of the Salikawood. The horrifying vertigo you get when standing near one of the many open edges of Bhujerba in the sky.

All this gushing about the world is largely why I was so catastrophically let down by something by Final Fantasy XIII's world. I get no sense of a cohesive, living world in FFXIII. It feels instead like a series of constricting and sterile hallway levels after another so geographically disconnected from one another that I have virtually no grasp of where anything is in relation to everything else.

THE BAD!

Outside of cities and settlements the game's zones can be...well, not exactly brimming with personality. You're typically running around beating things up and there's not much else. Some areas are fairly memorable from a visual standpoint, such as the Ogir Yensa Sandsea's decaying oil rig platforms and the Great Crystal for just being the absolute worst, but the dungeons REALLY lack personality or any remarkable qualities.

When I think dungeon, I think ideally something with some brain teasers. Some kind of puzzle to freshen things up so it isn't simply a long, winding sequence of enemy encounters just to reach the next cutscene or boss encounter. FFXII doesn't adopt this dungeon design philosophy. It instead prefers really straightforward dungeons with long, windy paths or a hundred samey boxy rooms that, quite frankly, feel mindless once you've been there long enough. The Tomb of Raithwall's only interesting traits are the back-to-back Demon Walls, with one non-optional fight that can be cheesed by activating lamps along the walkway. After the Demon Walls, the rest of the dungeon is a tediously long double set of dark, dingy hallways and there's no way to get lost in there. The Dreadnought Leviathan is hallway after hallway of dreary, claustrophobic steel interrupted by enemy soldiers zerg-rushing at you constantly. Everyone hates sewer dungeons and the Garamsythe Waterways honours this general distaste for the sewer dungeon trope by being a tediously long and sometimes confusing sewer dungeon.

There are some dungeons that bring more to the table than simply long murder sprees, but they're nothing worth writing home about either. The optional portions of the Great Crystal are abysmal for having no minimap and for its labyrinthine design involving timed doors and an endless army of dangerous, respawning enemies. The Stilshrine of Miriam puts up a gallant attempt with its statue "puzzles" - emphasis on the air quotes, because I hesitate to even wholeheartedly call it a puzzle - but falls short and makes me wish they had gone a lot further with it. On top of its ludicrous length, the Pharos at Ridorana is only moderately challenging for its sheer obtuseness. The game does tell the player how to build bridges to cross gaps, but the stones that give the explanations do so in very ye olde English that few players are able to easily understand. Is it authentic to Ivalice? Sure, but I don't think it's very helpful to players.

So yeah, dungeons are a major disappointment. You can do so much more with shorter but more cleverly designed dungeons. I actually give Final Fantasy XV props because for all its faults, it nails the optional dungeons. Just climbing Mt Ravatogh is itself a trial. Navigating stealthily through the Behemoth's lair packs its own unique flavour. Pitioss Ruins? Just ask a certain Dionysos about that one!

PART 6: SIDE CONTENT

b0388cce1540f49543711ijkap.png

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHH.

THE GOOD!

The sidequests are generally really good stuff!

It's not the modern Square approach to sidequests where you're off to find some eejit's lost cat or someone really needs specifically ten giant rats slain for some reason. FFXII's sidequests vary from the very small stuff (like the Balfonheim foot race) to more major ones that unlock more major side content. For example, there's what appears to be a pedestrian questline about an ill traveler in the desert that warrants you having to make a series of fetch quests for. But you're fetching things for a purpose, because successfully accomplishing it gives you a key that you can use to return to the Barheim Passage and enter a much more difficult, previously unvisited section of the dungeon with the Esper Zalera waiting at the end. Just reaching the Esper Chaos requires completion of a notably elaborate series of smaller sidequests, so just the journey of reaching its boss room is a trial in itself.

There aren't too many sidequests, but they mostly offer interesting optional side stories that give you plentiful context for why you're doing these errands. What at first looks like a job of crossing a river to check up on a village that has suddenly stopped sending out messages becomes a cute little story about reuniting a family of marauding Cactoids. The one where a bunch of cockatrices escape from their pen in Giza is unexpectedly hilarious, except for the one in Rabanastre that you need to somehow sneak up on to capture. Trust me, that one is much easier said than done and I despise that section.

HUNTS.

Good stuff. Sure, it's faffing around to have to visit a hunt board, find the person offering the bounty, find the hunt creature itself (some have very obtuse and unexplained ways of spawning), kill the creature, THEN return to the person who posted the bill, but I love doing it. One of my favourite fights in the game is the second one against Gilgamesh and Enkidu. There's something fulfilling about climbing up the ranks and everyone else in Clan Centurio going from calling me a delusional noob who doesn't even know which side of the sword is used to whack an enemy with, to an expert hunter who outclasses even them.

I really recommend doing them if only to reach the rank where the Rabanastre bazaar sells you the Bubble spell. If you don't have a Bubble Belt handy (or simply don't wish to equip your tank one because that accessory slot could be used for something more important), cast Bubble on your tank and watch their HP go all the way up to 9,999.

For people who think even the game's superbosses are too easy, there's Trial Mode. Good luck with that one. If you actually beat it, you can unlock a form of New Game Plus where your characters remain at level 1. There's no shortage of challenge for players mad enough to want and demand it.

THE BAD!

RNG.

RNG.

RNG.

RNG.

RNG.

If not RNG, then it's something so diabolically hidden that most players will likely never see it unless there is a guide handy.

I swear, FFXII (both versions) feels like it was designed to sell premium guides in mind.

You want the Esunaga spell? It's only available after the Pharos from the Baknamy Merchant in the Necrohol of Nabudis. Said merchant is invisible and you can only find it if you hug a very specific corner of a wall.

You want Scathe for your Black Mage? Return to the very beginning of Barheim Passage by backtracking the very route you first walked earlier on in the game. The Seeq there sells the spell and he's the only merchant who does. Why would anyone think to traipse all the way back there to speak with this guy with the minute prospect that he may sell something unique? And why this particular merchant? The Seeq is there to find and sell recoverable scrap and junk, not stupidly potent Black Magic spells!

You want some of the best equipment and items from the bazaar? Be prepared to look up a comprehensive guide of what materials is needed and from whom. Be prepared to bang your head against the wall while you do battle with RNG, because you'll be looking for certain rare enemies, pray they spawn, and make sure your designated thief has sacrificed enough goats to the Random Number Generator Esper to steal ONE OF THE PARTICULAR materials you need before your other party members accidentally kill the creature and despawn it. Even with the Thief's Cuffs, you're talking like a 5-10% chance or something of acquiring it if you're fortunate.

You want things like a Ribbon or a particular strong weapon? RNG.

A rare enemy or hunt won't spawn because a certain weather condition is needed? RNG. Run to the next area (not zone; AREA) and back and keep doing it until conditions become favourable.

Seitengrat? Just find a YouTube video and follow it very carefully, because no one is going to accidentally come across it.

A masochist made this game.

CONCLUSION

PROS
  • While not the best, these are still very solid characters for the most part
  • Vayne, Dr Cid and Gabranth are excellent antagonists
  • The story when it's good
  • Balthier
  • The authenticity of Ivalice as a living, breathing world of diverse cultures
  • Hunts
  • Gambits system
  • The new jobs system and License Board changes

CONS
  • I'm not a fan of these overly long dungeons especially when they're bereft of personality and puzzles
  • Characters with ample wasted opportunities
  • The story when nothing is happening
  • Quickenings
  • Some aspects of cheap boss design to artificially extend the duration of the fight
  • The Great Crystal
  • The tsunami of RNG so thoroughly baked into so many aspects of game design
  • Obtuseness for the sake of being obtuse

Overall I give FFXII a

This is a very solid game with a plethora of faults but still very much worth a buy if on sale/10

Last edited:
But you forgot to mention the dinosaurs that eat the wolves to level up.
And you made no mention of the controversial redesign of the moogles, despite it being posted over Easter weekend and bunnies being important!
:rage:

Now that I've channeled my inner-LJ, I'll be real. That's a humorous yet well put hot take. A great read!

Vayne's speech in Rabanastre was definitely a highlight of the game for myself. I'd need to actually watch a clip of it to enjoy the particulars, but I remember thinking that this was very clever at the time.

I feel your point about the party not really gelling. I do like all of the characters, but you're right that some of them don't seem to interact. IIRC they almost form mini-cliques. Ashe probably spends more time with / had more to do with Basch. Balthier obviously spends most of his time with Fran. Vaan and Penelo giggle and play in the background whilst the others talk. It is quite an unusual approach for Final Fantasy. At the same time, some groups in real life do end up like that, I guess.

The second half of the game is where I ended my initial playthrough. I never made a conscious decision to quit playing. Just for some reason I stopped one day and didn't go back to it. You're probably right as to the why that happened. I was gripped earlier on, but later, although I was still enjoying it, it was more like hiking from place to place.

The climate changes of Giza were certainly interesting and I appreciate how this helped with the world building as well as introducing a fascinating gameplay mechanic. Thinking about it, the wet Giza Plains might actually be where I met my first ever hairy crocodile!

Thanks for the shoutout regarding Pitioss... For those who don't know why I was called out, I will not bore you or derail the thread with the details, but click (here) if you want to know. I think the franchise should include more dungeons like this going forward!

Back