Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
FFXIV
Polyphemos Bromios
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Seriously.... Not even a clickbait title. :argor:

What is it with the Final Fantasy franchise and sometimes including hairy or woolly crocodiles and alligators?

Is anyone else unsettled by them?

The crocodile-type monsters in FFXII and FFXIV are like this, and I'm not sure if this is true of any other crocodiles elsewhere in the FF franchise or in other franchises.

In FFXIV most of the crocodiles seem to live in the frozen Coerthas region, so that might explain why being woolly would help them survive in those climes, but the region only became frozen in very recent history (in the original FFXIV those highlands were not yet frozen).

It's not just that the crocodile-type existed and they happened to create a version of the crocodile for colder climes.... The 'Temple Croc' lives in the sandy Southern Thanalan... Similarly, in FFXII some of these hairy gators exist in the desert.

They actually made it so that ALL crocodiles in these games were hairy, as if hairy crocodiles are something we should casually accept as a normal thing. This suggests that their FIRST thought when designing a crocodile creature was to make it a hairy crocodile, since normal crocodiles don't exist. I've searched for prehistoric crocodyliformes from Earth's past in an attempt to find a crocodile-type creature which might have been hairy, but I cannot find such a creature. I don't think hair has ever been in fashion with the crocodile community.

That's before we even begin to talk about the freaky Predator-style split jaw thing... Have the crocodiles split their lips in the cold or something?

So.... If anyone has a clue about these creatures, feel free to comment on them here and make it snappy!

Last edited:

Six

s ᴏ ʟ ɪ ᴛ ᴜ ᴅ ᴇ
Staff member
Admin Support
Veteran
Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
FFXIV
Seven Rivers
FFXIV Server
Lamia
I actually always thought (and still see it as) it was moss. You know... like algae, but then I guess for areas like Coerthas that would make no sense?

But I'm gonna pretend it does.

Dionysos

Βρεκεκεκὲξ κοὰξ κοάξ
Staff member
Administrator
Veteran
Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
FFXIV
Polyphemos Bromios
FFXIV Server
Lamia
I actually always thought (and still see it as) it was moss. You know... like algae, but then I guess for areas like Coerthas that would make no sense?

But I'm gonna pretend it does.
That's possible. I suppose it can look a bit like moss. Maybe the crocodiles were staying still waiting for prey and moss grew on them.

But some of the hairy crocodiles have white, black, or brown fur rather than green fur. One monster is even called 'Wooly Gator' so it would seem that in these contexts they have deliberately made them hairy.

I find it oddly fascinating, yet I haven't seen many people double take and question the hairy crocodiles. :D

Dionysos

Βρεκεκεκὲξ κοὰξ κοάξ
Staff member
Administrator
Veteran
Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
FFXIV
Polyphemos Bromios
FFXIV Server
Lamia
I noticed this screenshot you posted @Mitsuki

Where did you encounter this crocodilian? It is remarkable in its authenticity to real world crocodilians instead of being hairy.

If this is new content, maybe the nightmare is over? :argor:

Mitsuki

Staff member
Administrator
Veteran
Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
FFXIV
Mitsuki Calei
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
Gaia
I had to go back to the game and search for them. They are called Velodyna Sarcosuchus! You're welcome. Anything for you and your obsession for hairy crocodiles! @Dionysos

So normal crocodiles do exist!

If you wanna pay them a visit, I even took a screenshot of the map for you. Have at it. Enjoy!

As for the topic... uh no, no I can't say I've ever wondered why they Square Enix have a thing for hairy crocodiles. They kinda look like moss-covered logs, do they? Maybe that was the point? But it would've made more sense to place them in Gridania's environment in oppose to Coerthas - if we were to go with the camaflouge theory angle.

Huh, beats me!

Dionysos

Βρεκεκεκὲξ κοὰξ κοάξ
Staff member
Administrator
Veteran
Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
FFXIV
Polyphemos Bromios
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Velodyna Sarcosuchus
Interesting!

They've gone down a palaeontological route again then. The Sarcosuchus is an extinct crocodilian from the Cretaceous period (sharing its time with dinosaurs).... It was one of the largest crocodiles ever.

Since it was named after a real animal, maybe that is why they have kept it scaly.

It'll be far too big and scary for hair, even in Final Fantasy!