Japan - earthquake and tsunami

Video of when it was actually happening:

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/japan-...-travel-us-government-urges/story?id=13115202

I didn't know there was a tsunami warning for California until almost noon my time. One of my aunts sent me one of those weird "FWD" messages about earthquake and tsunami threats around 6 A.M and I was like, "Huh?" Went back to sleep.

I haven't seen any pictures of Japan's current state right now. That mere thought depresses me, and I can't even begin to imagine the despair they're going through.

This is really terrible. A lot of earthquakes have been hitting places lately D=. I see this on the news and hundreds of people have died... I always thought of Japan as a beautiful experience for me.. and now it is mostly going to be in ruin :sad:. This was a huge earthquake and god even a tsunami. This is just horrible. The Tsunami by the looks of it sounds so much more devastating..

From what BBC News has said, it really is too early to determine whether or not the aftermath of this explosion could lead to radioactive contamination to a similar level of that of Chernobyl. On the other hand there are analysts claiming that there is a strong likelihood that a meltdown may not necessarily lead to a massive disaster, which we can only hope so. It's terrible enough that a series of earthquakes and a tsunami have struck the country; the last thing anyone would want is a large area of north-eastern Japan badly contaminated with radiation.

I highly doubt it will be anything close to Chernobyl, that disaster was because the containment dome was craptastic if i recall correctly. Still hoping nothing bad happen, I needs my weekly doses of anime :rant:

The reactor in Fukushima is 100x more powerful than Chernobyl and the two power plants produce the joint biggest amount of energy. Apparently because of how powerful it is, if the worst case scenario happens then it could end up affecting the Russian Far East, part of China and the Korean peninsula could be affected by radiation omission.

It would seem that the worst possibilities are happening for Japan. I said that the worst part of this quake/tsunami was the effect that it had on the nuclear power plant. I'm surprised that it hasn't blown yet, after almost a week. The people at the plant must be doing a hell of a job containing that as much as they can. But I have a feeling the worst has yet to come. It's a very unfortunate circumstance for the country and surrounding countries. Very sad for the people there.

For the people still in the vicinity of the plant attempting to do all they can and prevent this disaster from becoming a complete calamity to the whole nation and the region around Japan, I must salute them for everything they are doing. To be so close to the plant is a terrible health risk with the radiation seeping out into the air. They really are tremendous examples of real life heroes. I have never been a big fan of nuclear energy at all because of how dangerous the waste products are. All we can do is store away the waste as they remain radioactive for millions of years, and we don't appear to even know how to properly go about doing this. The sad fact is, Japan has no real choice than to openly embrace nuclear power because as an island for a century now they have had very little raw materials left that they can use on an economic scale and green methods just don't cut it. While we lament for the people of Japan for things just becoming worse and worse (homeless people now suffering with snowfall), we really must think about the issue of nuclear reactors by the coast and how potentially dangerous that is particularly if you're in a geologically active zone. I really do admire the people of Japan. No reports of rioting or anarchy. They may be grieving intensely and overcome with fear, but their resilience despite everything that has been thrown at them is just inspiring.

Fleur said:
They may be grieving intensely and overcome with fear, but their resilience despite everything that has been thrown at them is just inspiring.

Agreeing and disagreeing to that at the same time.

Their actions in the midst of such chaos and destruction is no doubt, inspiring. However, I think it's not just their resilience.

Japan is typically known to be a rather polite society. A classic case of conformity, I would think, and is also the example from which my country learnt in order to develop our education system.

Theirs is a disciplined, well-organized and highly efficient system... And it showed.

I quote what my country's media mentioned - there is no signs of extreme panic. People were calm, composed, even as they lined up to get supplies.

Really, I have only a heartfelt respect for them now.

I am living in beijing. yes a earthquake and tsunami struck japan and left more than 10,000 dead and 500,000 people homeless. It also damaged a nuclear reactor and destroyed the ability for the backup systems on the reactor to cool itself and it is leaking radiation. they had to evacuate another 200,000 thousand people from the reactors parimeter. US forces are helping with the reactor situation and chances are that many things you have heard about this situation are exagerated. The radiation will not leak to other coutrys and china is right next door with no threat. The main concern at this point is the pressure that has built up inside the reactor due to lack of cooling solutions. Yet its safe to say that the reactor will not be a source of many people losing their lives, that part is over.

Back