I just beat FFIV! Here is my review.

Scarlet

*wobbles*
Veteran
Gil
There were a few threads that were made recently beating a Final Fantasy game. I've created a thread where you can post about your review on the game.

If you have beaten Final Fantasy IV for the first time...Please post your Final Fantasy I reviews here.

If you beat Final Fantasy IV already and still want to write a review, then go ahead.^_^

Well, i completed this game on the GBA version...
This is my review on it. As far as i feel...! So here goes.

I thought the music was pretty good. I liked it, in fact.. Character design's still okay (Well, it's one of the classics so i can complain too much). The battle system is also alright. Pretty standard with that guage thingie there. I'm happy that Rosa and Rydia can learn Holy and Meteor respectively..! Storyline's great. Thought it was nicely set up!

Well, that's about what i have to say about this game.. Hope it's not too little or anything.. >_<

em ok

Story and Character: Overall, the plot is very entertaining, and supplies a lot of thrills and plot twists along the way. All the characters have something interesting to say and have intriguing pasts (with the exception of Yang). the villian, Golbez, is awesome, just for being so evil and dark hearted!

Graphics: basing it on the Super NES version, the grahpics can look a dark and washed down at time, but character animation is great.

Music: Uematsu best score yet! From "Theme of Love" to "Melody of Lute", FFIV's score is tunning and heart breaking. It's also got one of the best battle themes in any FF

Gameplay: the Active Time Battle system was very innovative at the time, but now it can feel like you're constantly being bombarded by attacks. That said, it does get you active in the battle. The rest of the game plays like an NES Final Fantasy.

Enjoyment: besides from being one of the best RPGs on the Super NES (trumped by VI and Chrono Trigger) Final fantasy IV is just as enjoyable today as it was when it first came out. The plot constantly surprises, the characters are very loveable, and the music is stunning. But you need to be hardcore to get the most out of it.

Story and Character: 9
Graphics: 8.8
Music: 10
Gameplay: 9.2
Enjoyment: 9.4

OVERALL: 9.3 (rounded)

the story, including the characters, are awesome. many heroines, plenty of drama and comedy. there's even a character that everyone has to hate: EDWARD! he's probably the SAPPIEST and weakest character in any FF game and is perfect for making fun. However, past all the great story, the game is short and the difficulty only lies in the random encounters. WAY TOO MANY random encounters.

I beat FF IV a few days ago. :3 (PSX-Version)

Story
At the beginning a little bit boring I think. There is nothing special about crystals. (I started playing FF V and there were ALSO crystals... *shrugs*) But when the moon first is mentioned it really get's exciting. And all the things to find out are also interesting. All in all a good story. (For a RPG of the early 90's.)

Characters
I agree with AlexE. Great characters, but you just have to hate Edward. I think everybody has lots of reasons to hate him. ^^"
The rest was okay, neither too good nor too bad. The past of a few characters was interesting, for it fitted perfectly with the story. (And who would've thought Cecil and Golbez... ;) )

Graphic
Early 90's x.x At the beginning I had many problems. (Imagine that I played FF XII before starting with IV... That was a bit of a shock xD) But after a while you get used to it. And also it's nostalgic. <3 So I think it isn't bad after all. (Although it was very strange how the monsters disappeared xD)

What I still have to say that this game is worth playing and I'll definitely buy the DS-Version. <3

w00t!!! Beat FF iv ds!

Just like the title says.......w00t!!!

I just want to give my thoughts about the game

First Off....It was awesome!!! i really enjoyed this game...it had a great story, fun characters, the music was great and personally, i thought it was really challenging. From start to finish i loved this game. Of course there were sometimes where i got pissed off at it and nearly threw it out the window, but what game dosnt do that to you? when i overca,e whatever it was that was pissing me off, i got an awesome sense of accomplisment. does anyone else agree with me?

P.S....i know my thoughts are somewhat scrambled so i aplogize

Kazanator, I merged your thread with the existing one. There was already a thread on recently beating FFIV.

Also let's avoid spam please. Zeromus, if you can, please extend your post more? =)

Just beat the DS version so its time to spill!

Story and Characters : 9/10

Cecil could be the best FF main character in the series. Wrought with a believable inner conflict that quickly fuel his resolve to right the injustice of his own master and parental figure both in appearance and in deed. His brave conviction makes him easily one of the more likable characters in the FF franchise.

The 'love story' interaction is kept to a relative minimum and thankfully starts with Cecil and Rosa already romantically involved. The introduction of the 'love triangle' character and his deep seated inner feelings for Rosa present an added twist to the plot that hits again and again at just the right moments. His 'if I can't have her, no one will' attitude is refreshing.

Though most of the characters had great conviction, stunning depth and an interesting backstory there were still a few that were gimmicky or lacking in any real purpose in the story. The good news is, it was very few.

Plenty of good twists and turns and (my personal favorite) LOADS OF VEHICLES! XD

Gameplay : 9/10

Seriously fun, the battle system remained true to its original and offered a fun way to further customize your battle plans with the introduction of the auto-battle command. (Not sure if this was in any of the previous remakes)

The notable new additions were the augments, their effects on stats during level up past 70 and their carry-over to New Game +. Very Clean system that's very fun to play, my only complaint was the fact that bars still charge from time to time during enemy commands and with the 'wait' function active you still had to 'choose' an option before the atb gauge would stop for anyone else.

Grindage : 8/10

Through-out the entire game I never felt 'under-leveled', and while there was an obvious difference in having a party much higher level than the enemies being faced, I never felt the need to 'grind' my way to those higher levels. I attribute that mostly to the customizable battle options, the equipment and the auto-battle function.

The fact is, the right set-up would save your butt every time and the wrong set-up would get you killed more often then not. Fighting a boss and learning its weaknesses was very rewarding and after several 'stupid deaths' I would eventually figure out the right plan and end up walking away unscathed.

Now, all that being said I'm sure it seems odd that I scored it the way I did.

The two points off are for the single most annoying thing in this game : 'Tail Hunting'

The game was brought to a crushing halt when I decided to go after the rare equipment and weapons. The drop rate for the super rare stuff is so ridiculous that it takes several hours before you see even one!

It doesn't help that two of the best skills for the grind-fest range from 'a pain in the arse' to 'god-awful'. Treasure hunter (doubles the .4% chance of the rare drops to .8% - woohoo.../sarcasm) and Safe Travel (prevents all random encounters! Woohoo!!). The first requires you to complete every map, not so bad...right? But when you consider just how many random encounters there are, the final dungeon has 10 evil floors filled with rather tough customers, and the fact that it could have easily been accomplished if you had the second skill earlier, you begin to realize that its just plain evil. The second one requires you to complete the namingway quests, not so bad except for one tiny part thats basically luck driven. Finding Rainbow Puddings to give to namingway have a rare drop rate almost identical to the rarest drops out there.

Once you've got the two skills things get a little easier, but not by too much. You still have to stock up on sirens and bust up an estimated 128 battles per drop, which means a lot of trips/restarts till you find the item you need.

I personally got all the way to the final save point in 23 hours. Not great, but not bad by any means. My final save with all the rares I needed reads 46 hours... 23 extra hours just farming drops...and thats the ones where I actually found the items I needed and didn't have to restart!

Graphics + Music : It looks good and the music was very engaging. I don't normally comment much on either of these because my favorite game had shaky 2D graphics and a polyphonic soundtrack. Basically, these two parts don't really concern me. The voice acting was fairly good in my book!

Thats all I've got to say, I still give this game a 9/10. Great game, definately worth owning!

After putting it down for months I just beat the GBA version:

I found the story line very interesting and it managed to keep my attention throughout the entire game which is a plus. I enjoyed the simplistic game play (i.e: no jobs) which made it more enjoyable in my opinion.

The characters where a huge plus to this game; they seemed realistic and the designs were very nice as well. They kept me interested throughout the game and I liked how my party members were constantly coming and going, it added a level of surprise and what not.

The music was ok, but I don't think it was on par with some other installments to the series.

I was a little surprised when I noticed there was no save point before Zeromus. But that only added to the heat of the battle, I realized just how annoyed I would be if I died, thankfully Zeromus wasn't as hard as I imagined though.

All in all I guess I would give this game a 9/10

I finally beat the DS version today.

Great game, great storyline, great characters! Everything is just grand, except for a few things that I found annoying, such as completing the maps. Was that really necessary? I constantly had to go back to a few areas of the map just so I can cover that tiny little bit of pixel spot I missed - and the challenging part is not knowing where you've missed the spot, so you have to search everywhere. It's a neat concept, yes, and definitely something new, but again, I found it quite unnecessary.

The gameplay was very entertaining though. Really kept me hooked and as the plot unfolded, I found myself wondering what would happen next as I finally turn off my DS for the day. It's a pretty simple game, but without a doubt very interesting through and through. The augments were quite fun to collect, although I can understand some confusion (and a lot of missing augments) if you don't have a guide book in front of you.

Characters were quite unique but I must agree that Edward isn't too appealing. I'm glad he's not one of the main party in the game. The rest are pretty good though, and I was really intrigued with the adult Rydia. Her situation was quite an interesting one, I must say.

As for the voice-acting, my only complaint is that Kain had a very deep voice. Much too deep. Rosa wasn't all that great in my book either - it seems a little squeeky to me. But overall, great voice-acting all around.

I rate this game a 9/10.

FFIV was the first Final Fantasy I ever beat all by myself. So unless I beat VI and VII and decide otherwise, Final Fantasy IV is my favorite in the series!!! :mark:

Lets keep this thread for reviews please.

Far more effort is required for reviews

I have owned this game since it was released in the UK on the PSX, but until last week, I had never given it the time it deserves. I have even owned the GBA version for well over a year, but University, and other miscellaneous pressures have prevented me from finishing it, but I started a new game little over a week ago, and finished it last night.

The best FFIV has to offer is its simple, yet somehow deep storyline. It is emotionally charged, thought-provoking and even funny at times. Those who have played it already will know that you take control of a Dark Knight named Cecil, who faces tragedy fairly early on in the game. You go on to amass a supporting cast of deep, well-written allies.

FFIV reverted to a simpler battle system, which might be seen as a step back after the job system in FFIII, and to be honest, it is a little restricting. Like I said though, in FFIV, the emphasis is purely on the art of storytelling in this game. Characters have clear defined classes, and throughout the game, you have little to no choice in which characters you have in your party. Nevertheless, there is still room for creativity, as a lot of bosses force you to think instead of spamming with standard attacks. The game offers possibly the biggest challenge of any FF game (besides the original FFI perhaps), and this was fantastic. The final boss was one hell of a struggle, and I was so relieved when I won. Not a single game from the PS3/360 has managed to generate such tension then elation from me yet. In fact, I'd say that it has been years since I'd felt that way (possibly since playing a game called Final Fantasy VII a few years ago).

I don't really want to comment on the graphics, because we all know the game was made in 1991, and me saying "the graphics have aged badly" doesn't really help anybody. I found them to be nice enough to look at, and didn't hinder storytelling at all. Uematsu, as always, provided an amazing soundtrack for the game. I'd have to say this is one of his better efforts, and help convey emotion superbly.

I'm trying to keep this as spoiler free as possible, but there are several moments that stand out as huge, marquee moments in FF history.
First, there is Cecil's transformation from Dark Knight to Paladin, which is wonderful, especially with all the light/dark themes and imagery in the plot. Also, when Rydia returns to the party, and has somehow aged 10 years, it's brilliant!

FFIV is a fantastic game on its own, but historically, it is a very important games. It introduced so many facets of the FF experience which would become hallmark features of the series, and you can see a lot of FFIV in games like FFVII and FFIX. FFIV is the archetypal Final Fantasy, a foundation, a blueprint, if you will. As a result, even if you don't like the game itself, it is a fascinating experience.

I don't think a mark out of 10 is very helpful either, but I can say that I strongly recommend this game, as it has a storyline/cast to rival modern Final Fantasy games, and offers more challenge than pretty much any other title in the series.

I bought this game for the SNES off of eBay, having a bit of a nostalgic streak. Even if the game was easier than its Japanese counterpart, I thought it was just the right difficulty. With the exception of some bosses (looking at you Cagnazzo), nearly every boss was somewhat challenging. In my opinion, that's how it should be. It makes it so that you get the adrenaline rush of a close boss fight, without the frustration of losing said boss fight over and over again.

This game is the first game in the series to introduce the Active Time Battle system, so it should be said that it is the most primitive version of the system. There are no bars shown to see when your character will attack, and you cannot switch between characters who both have the ability to attack. Also, for people looking for cool looking Limit Breaks, sorry, those aren't introduced until FFVI. However, this is, as far as I know, the only Final Fantasy to allow you to have five characters in the party. This means that there is more strategy involved in the battles, as you have more abilities available to you.

These characters are truly the first great characters in Final Fantasy history. You have your hero in Cecil, and your token hero love interest in Rosa, but for me the real fun comes when you start looking at the relationship between Edge and Rydia. Sure, you get Edge late in the game, but he is one of the most entertaining characters you will have. Match that with Rydia's independence and back talk and you have loads of moments that really made the game for me. The relationship between Rydia and Edge is truly one of the better and interesting ones in the series.

However, every cast must have one goat, and the goat in FFIV is Edward. Edward is annoying and pretentious. Not even interesting. I often made him use his Hide ability just so I wouldn't have to see him in battle. He was that bad. Even if he has a somewhat tragic story, I felt that he deserved it. It was a really bad character, and one that, while being necessary to the story, really shouldn't have been playable in my opinion. He also has the most useless moves ever, but that's not really a detriment to the character itself.

The story starts off somewhat generically, although the bit with Cecil actually being a "bad guy" for about five seconds I guess makes it somewhat interesting. However, once Cecil's boat crashes, the story just takes off and never stops going. Between deaths, character changes, sickness, and other things, the game just keeps throwing things at you until you have to sit down from being too dizzy. This story really set the standard for Final Fantasy games to come, especially with a big twist that actually MAKES SENSE and really isn't all that far fetched!

Basically, this game is the start of a new era in Final Fantasy. I-III were good enough, but they were still trying to find something that really worked as far as the story and gameplay goes. Square manages to get both perfect for the first time in this game, while still innovating. Without Final Fantasy IV, God knows what Final Fantasy, or JRPGs as a whole, would be like today.

My least favorite FF game. The only good thing. The story, the story was REally good. But on the DS version. The bosses are WAY to hard. If you have to train to LV 80 to Finnaly beat a final boss. THAT'S TO F***ING HARD. But i'm playin the Ps1 version now and my feeling for it have gotten better. I give this game a 2/10

I just completed Final Fantasy IV for the PSX only a week ago, so here's my review.

Story: I loved the story! I had childhood memories of seeing my friend running around as Cecil the dark knight and how cool I thought the game was. Right from the beginning, your character is doing his duty to service his King and not to far into it is betrayed. Really gave you a drive to push further having the attachment that you have been betrayed in a sense. The crystal idea was probably the most blah part about it, but the story surrounding it was intriguing! My characters left and returned in so many different ways, it really felt like a story that kept you guessing what was going to happen next. I remember telling myself that this game has too many character death in it, to only surprise me near the end. Good story, and that is something I look for.

Gameplay: Gameplay was good, the introduction the of the ATB system really stepped up things for gamers to challenge them into quick thinking and speed. (You got to know your history to review something correctly). One thing that I found as I ventured more and more into the plot was the speed the opponents had on my party. I remember sitting on a huge group battle trying to get an attack in and I'm waiting for what seemed like forever because my opponent's barrage of multiple attacks would come flying at me making most battles a threat. Even with that, leveling up makes a HUGE difference. Some games level up helps but doesn't make the difference that is does in FFIV. Fun gameplay with a challenge.

Music: Catching music, and something I would listen to for a while. It had me engaged in lots of events and set the mood wonderfully. Some dungeons had their hits and misses but overall I thought it was a very good sound track and would not mind hearing those tunes again and again.

Characters: The characters were interesting, in a good way. I like all of them. Some brought in some good comic relief, like Edge which helped lighthearted some of the more serious moments. Their backgrounds definitely helped bring them out and, (for me personally), there specific character classes made it fell like I could connect with them but provided a little change like with weapon and armor you could equip. (There could have been a little more of that but I'm cool with how it is.) I don't know how many times I was like no! Dang it Kain, come back! Hahaha... Each one of the characters made the story move and I never felt like I was getting a rip off of one of the other characters within the game. Overall, unique with personality and traits, kept you engage and wanting more.

If you haven't played it, give it a try. You'll probably like it.

Story: The story was very different from the others it had lot of drama and twists which makes it interesting. When I started playing FFIV I always wanted to know what happens next (sometimes even forgot that I'm hungry :D ).

Gameplay: FFIV was the first FF that featured ATB (Active Time Battle) so the battles needed more strategy.

Music: IMO Best videogame music ever. They were very catchy and memorable songs and they fitted to the situtation always. They say that videogame musics are only beeps.

Characters: All characters are very unique. Cid had humor when Kain Cecil and Rosa had Drama. Golbez IMO best badass villain in FF history. Boss that were beaten.

Overall 9/10

The game was very addictive and had one of the best stories, characters and music in FF history.

My least favorite FF game. The only good thing. The story, the story was REally good. But on the DS version. The bosses are WAY to hard. If you have to train to LV 80 to Finnaly beat a final boss. THAT'S TO F***ING HARD. But i'm playin the Ps1 version now and my feeling for it have gotten better. I give this game a 2/10

Yeah the bosses for the NDS is very hard! I have to read the walkthrough to find out the strategy for many bosses! If you manage to get majority the treasures chest, it's posible to beat the final boss with level 58-62 characters with a few tries. I beat it with level 63 characters but I followed a walkthrough.

I think I may be somewhat near the end. I really like this one it is so much fun, the story is nice, the music is great. Definitely a winner

Awesomeness. 'nuff said

FF IV 9.3/10 ds version

Gameplay 8.5/10
Just how an old school FF game should play... great game

Music 9.5/10
The music composition is amazing 'nuff said

Difficulty 10/10
Lets take the last boss for instance. You have to spend an hour and a half going through the last part fighting behemoths. then you have to fight a massive giant monster named Zeromus with a godly 140,000 HP
Saving... well you can p*** off there is no saving it is classic FF at its best. Love it.
That's not the toughest part either... Hours and hours of grinding it took for me to beat some bosses. Grinding to level 85 or 90 to beat the last boss is hard core.

World 8.5/10
Its expansive and huge, but not the best in an FF game

Characters 9.0/10
They all play a role in the storyline. That's what we like.

Final verdict: The DS version is so F&$*"$£ HARD. You need to be a master to best it.

Back