Build-A-Member
Chocobo Egg
FFXIV
Aoife Linnaete
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
None
Put your fingers to the test for a minute. This typing test here launches a series of random and relatively short and uncomplicated words at you and your task is simply to type as quickly as you can within a minute. It will then reveal to you your speed relative to the average and the number of characters & words per minute.

To substantiate this thread a little bit more, you can talk about what your technique is when typing. Do you limit yourself to only a couple of fingers or do you use six or so? What is your history and background with typing? Is it personally harder for you to type quickly in English compared to your native language? Do you have a background of programming that makes you particularly talented at this? What kind of keyboard do you use?

Aaaaand, go.

77 wpm. I used to be a little faster than that, but I've slowed down some I guess...plus some of my bloody keys get stuck. Makes it a tad difficult to get the words out sometimes. I used to transcribe for University in my spare time during my postgrad, and I think my typing speed was around 90 wpm back then...

I kinda alternate between two fingers and two hands for some reason...usually two fingers if I notice. That probably slows me down some. I can touch type, although that took years to learn.

I did the test three times to sort of find an average. The three results were:

296cpm 58wpm 0 mistakes

288cpm 58wpm 0 mistakes

279cpm 56wpm 1 mistake, being "voewl" instead of "vowel"

That's honestly great for me, because I could only type about 24 words per minute in high school. Granted, I know for sure I'm faster at actually typing. But doing random words throws off my rhythm. My hands kept hesitating every ten or so words because I wanted to put in things like commas or periods, lol.

As for my technique, I like to call it the 'massage' technique. I type with all eight fingers on home row just like I was taught, but I exclusively use my right thumb to press spacebar rather than both thumbs. The massage part comes from the way I hit keys while flowing through a sentence. Since I use low profile keys, I sort of pivot/slide fingers from higher keys to lower ones, without lifting my fingers. I only lift when I'm going to a higher key. For lack of a better way to describe it, it feels like I'm rhythmically 'tickling' the keys, lol.

Test 1
Score: 311 CPM (that is 62 WPM) Typed all 55 words correctly.

Test 2
In reality, I typed 394 CPM, but I made 3 mistakes (out of 74 words), which were not counted in the corrected scores.

The mistakes were:

• Instead of "same", I typed "came".
  • Instead of "plant", I typed "plan".
  • Instead of "that", I typed "than".

Test 3
Score: 355 CPM (that is 71 WPM) Typed all 66 words correctly.

Comfortably speaking, I think I'm more a Test 1 kind of gal. I can type faster if my life depends on it sure, but I prefer to be a bit more chill. I learned how to type properly when I was in 10th grade, so uh 14-15 years old? Keyboard class was a requirement, I think. I don't look at my keyboard at all when typing.

I use a Logitech G105 keyboard. I wish I had a mechanical keyboard though! I would clack clack clack all day!

What's your score, Liv? :ahmed:

That was fun! :) I also trialled it three times with the following results:

Test 1: 289 CPM, 58 WPM, 2 mistakes

Test 2: 287 CPM, 57WPM, 1 mistake

Test 3: 279 CPM, 56WPM, 3 mistakes

I think I was a bit tense in the last one XD (I wanted to go as fast as I could). I'm normally pretty relaxed when typing although I agree that random words can throw you off a bit. I think I might be just a little bit faster when writing proper sentences.

I can type without looking at the keyboard too much. We did a few weeks on touch typing when I was in highschool but I don't always position my fingers the way we were taught too (I barely use the little finger when typing if at all). How fast I go also depends on the keyboard - the keys on my laptop are quite flat so I tend to be slower on other computers or laptops which have chunkier keys.

Not trying to trash this thread, because it is interesting, but I thought I would express a my feelings on this subject. I was around when PCs where introduced into homes and became mainstream. I feel this has corrupted society as a whole. Because of computers schools do not put a high emphasis on handwriting. My children will not learn how to write in cursive because schools are now focused on typing and computer usage. Basic handwriting skills is becoming a lost art due to computers and cell phones. Just thought I would share that because it is relevant to the thread.

On the other had I took keyboarding in school and failed the class. I could not keep focused and did not complete the work assigned. That probably explains why I only got 32 wpm and 160 cpm. I also figured I should complete the test if I am going to make a comment to the thread.

My typing skills suck!

Not trying to trash this thread, because it is interesting, but I thought I would express a my feelings on this subject. I was around when PCs where introduced into homes and became mainstream. I feel this has corrupted society as a whole. Because of computers schools do not put a high emphasis on handwriting. My children will not learn how to write in cursive because schools are now focused on typing and computer usage. Basic handwriting skills is becoming a lost art due to computers and cell phones. Just thought I would share that because it is relevant to the thread.

On the other had I took keyboarding in school and failed the class. I could not keep focused and did not complete the work assigned. That probably explains why I only got 32 wpm and 160 cpm. I also figured I should complete the test if I am going to make a comment to the thread.

My typing skills suck!

For me this sort of thing is perspective. If we look at the big picture, the need for hand writing as a common skill is still extremely young, and cursive is an arguably pointless skill that really just wasted educational time that could've been spent elsewhere. Growing up in the 90's and mid 2000's, we spent far too much time on hand writing and cursive; probably totaling around two years of English class time (across like five grades of course). That much time was spent just on how to properly write the letters. Meanwhile, typing was clearly growing into a mandatory skill at that point, and yet I only had one required computing class the whole time, that only spent about three weeks on typing. I agree that hand writing is still important for now. But I don't think it's near as important now, as it was portrayed when I was in school. And cursive is a waste of time, along with a lot of the other early English techniques that were forced on us. The amount of time I spent learning sentence/paragraph construction techniques that were later revealed to be the 'wrong way' to do things... they were just taught to us that way so we could understand it... that was a lot of wasted time that created tons of bad habits that were difficult to break. Same thing goes for rules like "I before E, except after C", which are half baked lies at best. I do think to some extent hand writing is dying. But I think it's more because we continue to push bloated, poorly thought out teaching methods that take up education time that could be used for more emphasis on things like hand writing and typing.

Again though, this is all relative. It has cultural importance more than anything, because learning things like cursive has little meaningful educational impact, and unfortunately the impact of things like hand writing gets lesser by the day. But I fully believe education should constantly evolve to teach what's most useful, rather than what's most important to past generations. Especially since, again, most of the education we see as 'longstanding, imperative skills' are things we've only been learning en masse for around a century or two at best. Not that old, not that traditional, and not that important in the grand scheme of things. And forty years from now, when hand writing is all but dead, and 'mind typing' has blown up, I hope we as a species are smart enough to realize it deserves more emphasis than 'traditional typing', lol.

First attempt I got 335CPM / 67 words per minute... which seems okay maybe. I could probably go a bit faster buuut for some reason I tend to find myself getting caught up in those kind of tests. I don't so much make mistakes, but just lose track of keys and come to a complete stop for a few seconds. I dunno. Maybe it's just something that comes with practice. :hmm:

Your score: 439 CPM (that is 88 WPM)

In reality, you typed 463 CPM, but you made 4 mistakes (out of 89 words), which were not counted in the corrected scores.

_____

It advised me to take a two minute break now. Peasants.

Your score: 467 CPM (that is 93 WPM)
Your score beats or equals 96.63% of all.

Boom. Fight me!

Hi,
I thought I was fast until I took this test!
Your score: 207 CPM (that is 41 WPM)

~edited: Links removed by DaggerTribal

Last edited by a moderator:
Your score: 467 CPM (that is 93 WPM)
Your score beats or equals 96.63% of all.

Boom. Fight me!

1610403887967.png

BOOM!

1616544290165.png

AHEM.... Was just for fun but uh.......... Yeah... /flex.

Back