Harry Potter Series, use spoiler tags please

Just finished The Half Blood Prince, and boy, was that a return to form! I actually saw the movie at the cinema last year and hated it, so I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the book. I suppose some things that work really well in print don't necessarily make great film. The movie seemed very bleak whereas the book struck a much better balance between the fun and light hearted teenage romance fluff and the dark Lord Voldemort stuff. Great book which reminded me why I started reading these in the first place, which I was actually starting to forget after the last one :P

Just finished The Half Blood Prince, and boy, was that a return to form! I actually saw the movie at the cinema last year and hated it, so I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the book. I suppose some things that work really well in print don't necessarily make great film. The movie seemed very bleak whereas the book struck a much better balance between the fun and light hearted teenage romance fluff and the dark Lord Voldemort stuff. Great book which reminded me why I started reading these in the first place, which I was actually starting to forget after the last one :P

It seems that you haven't read the books before the movies? The books are much more ace than the movies by a longshot. Much more events, more moaning murtle and peeves XD All of the stuuf you love and more.

I swear I've been disappointed by the goblet of fire and the half blood prince movies because of the dark take on things. The colors are bleak and there isn't as much magic as it felt like there was in the first two movies. In my opinion the first harry potter movie is the best because it nicely gives me that feeling of magic I've been looking for. The films after the second have been going downhill.

I honestly have this huge feeling in my gut that the last movie is going to suck majorly. I LOVE the last book so I'm keeping hope alive. But I can't shake the disappointment from some of the films so far.

It seems that you haven't read the books before the movies? The books are much more ace than the movies by a longshot. Much more events, more moaning murtle and peeves XD All of the stuuf you love and more.

I've sporadically watched the movies and usually because I was dragged along to see them :P I saw The Philosopher's Stone when it came out, the next one I saw after that was The Prisoner of Azkaban and the next one after that was The Halfblood Prince. I haven't seen any of the others, so I've read more books than i have watched movies, but I'll probably have a bit of a marathon session if I get bored enough at some point :wacky:

I've sporadically watched the movies and usually because I was dragged along to see them :P I saw The Philosopher's Stone when it came out, the next one I saw after that was The Prisoner of Azkaban and the next one after that was The Halfblood Prince. I haven't seen any of the others, so I've read more books than i have watched movies, but I'll probably have a bit of a marathon session if I get bored enough at some point :wacky:

Well I highly, HIGHLY recommend you read the Harry Potter books. The movies are meh in comparison but it's a nice series overall. I hope you try it out. I just realised they cut out the character Peeves from the movie :P XD But yea they cut alot from the movie. Hope you get back into reading ^_^

I swear I've been disappointed by the goblet of fire and the half blood prince movies because of the dark take on things. The colors are bleak and there isn't as much magic as it felt like there was in the first two movies. In my opinion the first harry potter movie is the best because it nicely gives me that feeling of magic I've been looking for. The films after the second have been going downhill.

This is EXACTLY how I feel about the movies. I think one of the biggest things for me that ruins it now is the fact that the students are rarely seen in their robes anymore, they're almost always wearing modern Muggle clothes >_> I understand that they most likely did that to try to appeal to a wider audience, but anything that separated them from the Muggle world was IMO much more magical. It kind of makes it look like the wizard kids are trying to keep up with Muggle fashion to be more like them rather than adhering to their own fashion and making something exciting out of that instead--they could have all sorts of interesting trendy styles of robes, for example, and dress in those, it would be more interesting. And I understand part of the idea is to want the two worlds to coexist peacefully, but that doesn't mean they have to dress the same.

Also, I think one of the other things is the fact that Richard Harris couldn't be in it anymore to play Dumbledore :sad3: I like Michael Gambon well enough, but he's not the real Dumbledore in my head; I always picture the mannerisms, look, and voice of Richard Harris's interpretation when I read the books, because it seems more true to the story, he's supposed to have that quiet, reverent voice that everyone shuts up to listen to, rather than a louder, fuller one. It would've been cool if they could've gotten Richard Attenborough (aka John Hammond from Jurassic Park :D) to play him, because I think he could have pulled it off in much the same way, but I guess maybe he would've been too recognizable or he was otherwise unable or unwilling to do it :hmmm:

It is a shame Richard Harris passed away, he was a very good casting choice as Dumbledore. Gambon is a fine actor but I imagine him as more of a Professor Slughorn type rather than as Dumbledore.

Just finished the series now, and I didn't think that The Deathly Hallows was as strong as the The Halfblood Prince. It's a shame really as I thought The Half Blood Prince regained a lot of the momentum which had been lost with the 2 previous books, but over all I still found The Deathly Hallows to be fairly enjoyable. My biggest complaint would be that the ending was very abrupt and not a satisfactory conclusion to the series at all.
Call me sentimental if you like, but I really think that series like this deserves a much more conclusive ending where the fate of all the characters the readers have been vested in for so long is properly dealt with.

It's very hard to deal with what happens to every major character though. And they touched on the main trio (very comprehensively) as well as Malfoy and Neville (briefly). I agree that I wasn't crazy about the epilogue and would have preferred a more drawn out final chapter in the immediate aftermath of Harry and Voldemort's duel. But I suspect in the end no final chapter would have been completely satisfying.

Yea the ending was so short...I wish they could have talked about all the characters but when you think about it
Most of the characters were killed off and the mains ones were touched on.
But even with that there were simply way too many characters to touch on...

It's very hard to deal with what happens to every major character though. And they touched on the main trio (very comprehensively) as well as Malfoy and Neville (briefly). I agree that I wasn't crazy about the epilogue and would have preferred a more drawn out final chapter in the immediate aftermath of Harry and Voldemort's duel. But I suspect in the end no final chapter would have been completely satisfying.

I'm not sure if I agree with you on that that. Lord of the Rings had a large cast of characters as well and still managed to give everyone a conclusion in the end. Nor did I think that the epilogue was as comprehensive as I would have liked it to be as it doesn't really go into what happened between the ending of the book and then. I suppose it's still better than nothing though.

HOLY. FREAKING. SHIT. That looks amazing :yay: I hadn't seen this before, thanks so much for posting it! (And omg, the part where
Harry grabs Voldemort and pulls him down into the pit???
:gonk: epic!) This looks so good, I really can't wait to go out and see this fifty times :jess: Definitely going to catch the midnight showing again if at all possible.

Edit: Also, I so cannot wait for
Molly Weasley vs Bellatrix--- "NOT MY DAUGHTER YOU BITCH!!!!!!"
:yay: that has to be in there, that will be amazing :rofl:

Last edited:
Back