Final Fantasy Character Tier List~

Tifa

ಌ الملاك
Gil
Okays soooo, this thread is a ranking thread of sorts. Basically all you do is place your favorite characters on a personal ranking chart/list and then explain why they're placed there after. It can have as few or as many as you want.

I can't wait to see how many interesting top and bottom picks you guys will have. ^_^

So, to kick things off I'll post mine (obvious)

God Tier

Tifa, Zack, Cloud, Zidane, Auron, Cid (FFVII)

High Tier

Squall, Laguna, Garnet, Vivi, Steiner, Eiko

Mid Tier

Barret, Aeris, Locke, Terra, Bartz, the rest of FFX's cast

Low Tier

FFI Cast, FFII Cast, the rest of FFVI's cast

Oh god why do I exsist tier

Paine, Vaan, Penelo

Completely forgettable tier

The rest of FFXII's cast

Why is square making MMOs tier

FFXI and FFXIV

Rinoa and Selphie because they're this bad tier

Selphie Rinoa

I'll explain why later, this took ages to type. D:

I honestly thought when the thread said "Final Fantasy Character Tier List", it was going to be based on power level and not favortism. I guess I was misled. :lew: I have to disagree with some of your choices. The whole FFXII cast is not forgettable. Balthier, Fran, and Basch are three characters that are more than forgettable. Even Vaan, and Penelo aren't forgettable. Annoying, yes; but not forgettable.

If I was going to put anybody in the God Tier, I would definitely put Sephiroth, Chaos, ExDeath, and Seymour in there. The main reason being that their the closest things to a god I think you would get in a Final Fantasy game.

All aside, your list seems to be spot on in some aspects. ^^

I may edit and add a few more details later but...

Some of my answers will no doubt be interesting, perhaps disagreeable, to others. ;)

Top Tier

• Yuna (X) She is determined, loyal, passionate, selfless and strong. Put simply, she's a beautiful and admirable woman and she develops well over the course of X's story.
  • Auron (X) So mysterious and sexy. :ness:
  • Serah Farron (XIII-2) Serah actually reminds me a lot of Yuna. She's equally determined, loyal selfless. But unlike Yuna, she has fewer friends to support her. She faces a frightening fate twice but doesn't falter.
  • Noel (XIII-2)
  • Caius (XIII-2)
  • Yeul (XIII-2)
  • Squall (VIII)
  • Laguna (VIII)
  • Rinoa (VIII) A perfect contrast to Squall, Rinoa is very optimistic. She's also strong-willed and independent as she seeks SEED out of her own accord and often deals with adversity alone. She and Squall save one another at different points. Far from a damsel in distress, yet still soft and vulnerable.
  • Vincent (VII) Like Auron, Vincent is mysterious, but I get the feeling there's a lot of sorrow in his past. I haven't played Dirge of Cerberus, so I need to look up the story...
  • Zack (VII: CC) I haven't played a lot of this game, but I already love Zack! He's a little reckless, he's intriguing, he's fiesty. Looking forward to finding out more about him! :)

High Tier
Red XIII (VII) I'm oddly fond of Red. He's endearing, wise and has a heart of gold. ;)
Barret (VII) His dedication to Marlene is beautiful!
Aeris (VII)
Zidane (IX)
Steiner (IX)
Garnet (IX)
Freya (IX)
vivi (IX)
Tidus (X)
Lulu (X)
Lightning (XIII/XIII-2)

Mid Tier
Irvine (VIII)
Quistis (VIII)
Basche (XII) My favourite character in XII. I personally felt he had more substance.
Hope (XIII/XIII-2)

Low Tier
Rikku (X/X-2) I didn't dislike her in X, but in X-2... She became a little too peppy to bare. :lew:
Penelo

HORRIBLE Tier
Reserved and populated only by Seymour! (X)

Forgettable Tier (but not necessarily bad!)
From what I have played of VII so far... Cloud. I know he is the favourite of many, but I personally don't feel he has a lot of substance. :ness: I'm 20 hours in VII... I'm sorry everyone. :sorry:
Yuffie
Selphie

I haven't played I and III to VI enough to judge the characters yet. I am fairly fond of the characters in II; it's just been YEARS since I played it so I can't remember them...

Last edited:
Supreme Tier
Aerith Gainsborough (Final Fantasy VII):She's amazing, and nobody else could be that for me.

High Tier
Yuna (Final Fantasy X)-She's almost as awesome as Aerith...lacking by about infinity percent, of course. She's kind, loving, determined, and brave, which makes me admire her character.

Zack Fair (Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core)-He's funny, suave, brave, kind, and good-hearted. He's the ultimate guy, and very calm, cool, and collected. He was Aerith's first love, and my favorite FF guy.

Auron (Final Fantasy X)-He's a major badass, which is super sexy (even if he is on the Johnny Depp-age side).

Beatrix (Final Fantasy IX)-Also a major badass. I admire her strength and order.

Terra Branford (Final Fantasy VI): Pretty badass, strong willed, and brave (Unlike her whiny self in Dissidia...>>;).

Vincent Valentine (Final Fantasy VII): Super sexy and badass.

Celes Chere (Final Fantasy VI): I truly do love her. She's a very emotional character in the game, and goes through so many emotions. She was actually real. Not to mention her theme had to be the mother for Aerith's.

Medium Tier
Cloud Strife (Final Fantasy VII)-I like him, but he's not a favorite. I admire his ability to evolve as a character, and that he was, in truth, Aerith's last and true love.

Rikku (Final Fantasy X)-I like her character, though many compare her to Yuffie. I think she's more well-rounded than Yuffie. She has her own feelings and issues that she addresses. She's also a very beautiful and brave character, and gives a life to the party.

Tifa Lockhart (Final Fantasy VII)-I respect Tifa. I know this is odd from a huge Aerith fangirl, but I do respect Tifa. She's really not whorish (though I kid that she is), and she was always there for Cloud. She was a motherly figure for all in Final Fantasy VII with her ability to protect, guide, and fight for the ones she cares for.

Rydia (Final Fantasy IV): She's a cool character, a bit angsty, but enjoyable.

Low Tier
Squall Leonhart (Final Fantasy VIII)-He's an all right character. He's not as well rounded as most, but he did evolve as a character. I admire his courage and strength, though he never really grabbed me like characters in other tiers.

Lightning Farron (Final Fantasy XIII)-I like her, but she spent most of the [first] game angsty and too much like Cloud (which was intended). I wanted her to be her own person, not someone else.

Tidus (Final Fantasy X)-He grew on me towards the end, but spent the most part of the game as a little crap that I couldn't stand. He eventually matures around the end and becomes well likeable.

Selphie (Final Fantasy VIII)-Most people like her, but I never found her that annoying. She's a good character, but a little boring and lacks diversity.

The Unapproachable Tier
(The Characters I Cannot Stand)
Yuffie Kisaragi (Final Fantasy VII)-She's annoying as Hades. She has no personality. All it is to her is materia. She was such a cookie cutter, annoying character.
Wakka (Final Fantasy X)-Seriously. He's a racist loser in the game, and he wasn't much to look at as well.
Vaan (Final Fantasy XII) -Yuck. He's angsty, he's just a big baby. I couldn't really tolerate any character in that game.
Lulu (Final Fantasy X)-She's a b*tch.

Completely Forgettable

Kimahri (Final Fantasy X)-Meh.

Fan Service Characters for Square-Enix
Serah Farron (Final Fantasy XIII): I love her, but God love her...she looks like jail bait.
Rinoa Heartilly (Final Fantasy VIII): She's cute, which catches the eyes of we gamers out there.
Tifa Lockhart (Final Fantasy VII): ...Do I really have to explain this one? XD
Rikku and Yuna (Final Fantasy X-2): Yeah...way to get skimpy, girls. ;)

God Tier
Tidus, Auron, Freya.

High Tier
Tifa, Cloud, Vincent, Rinoa, Squal, Zidane, Vivi, Yuna, Lulu, Balthier.

Mid Tier
Barret, RedXIII, Cait Sith, Steiner, Garnet, Wakka, Rikku, Fran, Ashe, Bashe, Lightning, Hope, Snow, Fang.

Low Tier
Selphie, Quistis, Zell, Vanille.

Oh god why do I exsist tier
Aerith, Yuffie, Quina, Eiko.

Completely forgettable tier
Sazh, Penelo, Vaan, Kimahri, Amarant, Irvine.

Xx..xX

I love them alot Tier

Cloud, Cecil, P. Garnet, Aeris, Tifa, Rinoa.

They're pretty epic Tier

Zidane, Edge, Lulu, Locke, Auron, Zack, Kain, Maria, Serah, Fang, Eiko, Selphie, Celes, Quistis, Kefka, Rydia, Faris, Yuffie, Laguna. E. Paramecia. Golbez, Cissinei, Reno, Elena, Rikku, Rufus, Caius, Vivi, Sazh.

They're good, but could be better Tier

Firion, Vanille, Kuja, Gau, Mog, Relm, Shadow, Tidus, Edward, Ingus , Edgar and Sabin, Setzer, Relm, Hope, Noel, Sazh, Shadow, Barret, Red XIII, Cid Highwind.

Meh Tier

Zell, Quina, Terra, Cyan, Lenna, Penelo, Cyan, Strago, Yuna, lenna, Angeal. Rude, Tseng, Irvine, Steiner. Lightning, Vincent.

I hate them sooo much ! Tier

Genesis, Sephiroth, Vaan, Rosa, Snow, Wakka, Guy, Leon, Ex- Death, P. Hojo. Squall Leonfart.

Who are you again ? I think it was... no sorry I forgot Tier

Amarant, Yang, The FF IV Twins, Kimahri, Cid ( FFIV ) The FF III gang expect Ingus, Most FF12 characters. Freya.

Last edited:
God Tier

Celes, Setzer, Terra, Locke, Edgar, Sabin, Cyan, Shadow, Gau, Relm, Strago, Gogo, Mog, and Umaro.

That is it.

-Setz-

I love them alot Tier

Cloud, Cecil, P. Garnet, Aeris, Tifa, Rinoa.

They're pretty epic Tier

Zidane, Edge, Lulu, Locke, Auron, Zack, Kain, Maria, Serah, Fang, Eiko, Selphie, Celes, Quistis, Kefka, Rydia, Faris, Yuffie, Laguna. E. Paramecia. Golbez, Cissinei, Reno, Elena, Rikku, Rufus, Caius, Vivi, Sazh.

They're good, but could be better Tier

Firion, Vanille, Kuja, Gau, Mog, Relm, Shadow, Tidus, Edward, Ingus , Edgar and Sabin, Setzer, Relm, Hope, Noel, Sazh, Shadow, Barret, Red XIII, Cid Highwind.

Meh Tier

Zell, Quina, Terra, Cyan, Lenna, Penelo, Cyan, Strago, Yuna, lenna, Angeal. Rude, Tseng, Irvine, Steiner. Lightning, Vincent.

I hate them sooo much ! Tier

Genesis, Sephiroth, Vaan, Rosa, Snow, Wakka, Guy, Leon, Ex- Death, P. Hojo. Squall Leonfart.

Who are you again ? I think it was... no sorry I forgot Tier

Amarant, Yang, The FF IV Twins, Kimahri, Cid ( FFIV ) The FF III gang expect Ingus, Most FF12 characters. Freya.
I think I love you. x3 Your tier list is so funny. <3

Oh thankyou !! <3 // blushes// :ari:

Though I like Rinoa and Selphie and you hate them
:gasp2:
Those character types are either hit or miss I think. Both were the "cutesy" for the sake of being cutesy and didn't have much depth. >: Sure they're pretty and nice, but there wasn't much there under the surface for me. When comparing them to other girls like say Garnet or even Aeris, I found them lacking in all areas.

^That's because Aerith is overall awesome. :dance:
Indeed

I worship them o_O tier
Vivi, Aerith, Tifa, Yuna

They're pretty darn awesome tier
Zidane, Yuffie, Red XII, Lightning, Fang, Squall, Fran, Balthier,

Pretty cool tier
Cloud, Barret, Garnet, Freya, Rinoa, Irvine, Sazh, Rikku, Paine, Lulu, Basch

They're alright tier
Eiko, Selphie, Vanille, Hope, Wakka, Ashe

Just go away, far away tier
Cait Sith, Steiner, Zell, Snow, Tidus

Who were you again? tier
Amarant, Vaan, Penelo

Those character types are either hit or miss I think. Both were the "cutesy" for the sake of being cutesy and didn't have much depth. >: Sure they're pretty and nice, but there wasn't much there under the surface for me. When comparing them to other girls like say Garnet or even Aeris, I found them lacking in all areas.

I have to agree with you in some ways, because Selphie does lack in character because FF8 focused too much on the growing love between Squall & Rinoa. Selphie seems... half developed. Though I disagree with you on the cutesy part because both Rin and Selphie can be a little harsh/ emotional if they want to be. Example Selphie thinks Zell is a looser because he did a 100 push ups or something among those lines. And I like cute ... it's well, cute !! :britt:

Aerith and Garnet are just really well developed. Square did a good job with those girls !

Amen ! :mokken:

Stupendous Tier:
Garland/Chaos
Cecil
Edge
Kain
Edward
Tellah
Golbez
Rubicant
Celes
Shadow/Clyde
Cyan
Edgar
Sabin
Kefka
Locke
Sabin
Setzer
Siegfried (FFVI)
Terra
Ashe
Balthier
Basch
Agrias
Algus
Delita
Gafgarion
Mustadio
Ramza
Weigraf

Fantastic Tier:
Astos
Cid (FFIV)
Rosa
Rydia
Yang
Baram
Cid (FFVI)
Gau
Gestahl
General Leo
Ultros
Vargas
Cid (FFVII)
Hojo
Irvine
Kiros
Laguna
Ward
Quistis
Beatrix
Vivi
Zidane
Kimahri
Fran
Beowulf
Meliadoul
T.G. Cid
Malak
Olan
Rafa
Reis
Snow
Sazh

Mediocre Tier:
Fosoya
Palom
Porum
Banon
Mog
Strago
Aerith
Barret
Cloud
Jenova
Sephiroth
Tifa
Adel
Edea
Rinoa
Seifer
Squall
Eiko
Freya
Kuja
Auron
Lulu
Rikku
Seymor
Tidus
Wakka
Yuna
Penelo
Vaan
Construct-8
Lightning
Hope
Fang

Shite Tier:
Gogo
Relm
Umaro
Cait Sith (FFVII)
Nanaki/Red XIII
Vincent
Yuffie
Selphie
Zell
Amarant
Dagger/Sara/Garnet
Quina
Steiner
Vanille

Last edited:
I have to agree with you in some ways, because Selphie does lack in character because FF8 focused too much on the growing love between Squall & Rinoa. Selphie seems... half developed. Though I disagree with you on the cutesy part because both Rin and Selphie can be a little harsh/ emotional if they want to be. Example Selphie thinks Zell is a looser because he did a 100 push ups or something among those lines. And I like cute ... it's well, cute !! :britt:

Aerith and Garnet are just really well developed. Square did a good job with those girls !

Amen ! :mokken:
I happen to think they're both much, much better than Yuna. x) I didn't like her personality pre and post FFX-2. She went from way too timid and passive, to over the top jpop fanservice.
Stupendous Tier:
Garland/Chaos
Cecil
Edge
Kain
Edward
Tellah
Golbez
Rubicant
Celes
Shadow/Clyde
Cyan
Edgar
Sabin
Kefka
Locke
Sabin
Setzer
Siegfried (FFVI)
Terra
Ashe
Balthier
Basch
Agrias
Algus
Delita
Gafgarion
Mustadio
Ramza
Weigraf

Fantastic Tier:
Astos
Cid (FFIV)
Rosa
Rydia
Yang
Baram
Cid (FFVI)
Gau
Gestahl
General Leo
Ultros
Vargas
Cid (FFVII)
Hojo
Irvine
Kiros
Laguna
Ward
Quistis
Beatrix
Vivi
Zidane
Kimahri
Fran
Beowulf
Meliadoul
T.G. Cid
Malak
Olan
Rafa
Reis
Snow
Sazh

Mediocre Tier:
Fosoya
Palom
Porum
Banon
Mog
Strago
Aerith
Barret
Cloud
Jenova
Sephiroth
Tifa
Adel
Edea
Rinoa
Seifer
Squall
Eiko
Freya
Kuja
Auron
Lulu
Rikku
Seymor
Tidus
Wakka
Yuna
Penelo
Vaan
Construct-8
Lightning
Hope
Fang

Shite Tier:
Gogo
Relm
Umaro
Cait Sith (FFVII)
Nanaki/Red XIII
Vincent
Yuffie
Selphie
Zell
Amarant
Dagger/Sara/Garnet
Quina
Steiner
Vanille
What makes Garnet so bad? D:

Am I the only person who doesn't like Aerith? I just find her so...mary-sue. She's got no substance, she's just nothig but good, a total martyr. She has no faults and to me she's just unrealistic, like a puppet instead of an actual character. does nobody else think she's got as much depth as a piece of paper?

Xx..xX

I'm only going to provide reasons for a few characters.

S-Tier

Cloud Strife - I find his personality to arguably be the most complex out of all FF protagonists. One of the reasons why FF7 was so enjoyable for me was that I was able to spend over half the game trying to explore who he really is.

A-Tier

Cecil Harvey - His development was pretty awesome. Even now, I can't decide whether I prefer his Dark Knight or Paladin abilities for gameplay.

Kain Highwind - I like him since I think he and Cecil make one of the best two-man teams in all of Final Fantasy. I don't think we've ever seen leading characters who have such a cool best friend bond.

Tifa Lockhart - She's Cloud best friend. She knows her drinks. She's a good cook. She can also suplex any enemy in the game whether it be a Turk or the Ultimate Weapon.

B-Tier

Zidane Tribal
Terra Branford
Szazh Katzroy
Vivi Orunitia
Barret Wallace
Cid Highwind
Vincent Valentine
Edge Geraldine
Rosa Farrell
Rydia

C-Tier

Zack Fair
Squall Leonhart
Yuna (pre-FFX-2)
Auron
All incarnations of Gilgamesh
Sephiroth
Kefka Palazzo
Balthier
Garnett Alexandros
Adelbert Steiner
Beatrix

D-Tier

Almost much everyone else

E-Tier

Shantotto

The "Epicsauce Tier":
FFX,FFXIII BAr snow, Edward(FFIV),Gabranth,Terra,Kefka,Sabin,Aerith

The "Meh" Tier:
The rest of them bar...

The "These people deserve to die tier":
FFVII,FFVIII,FFIV,FFXII. Snow.

I happen to think they're both much, much better than Yuna. x) I didn't like her personality pre and post FFX-2. She went from way too timid and passive, to over the top jpop fanservice.

What makes Garnet so bad? D:

I think it's her proclivity to put herself in terrible situations that need rescuing, not because of interesting plot reasons, but instead because she is just naturally retarded, and also ungrateful when she does get rescued.

Yes, I understand that she's a "spoiled princess" kind of character, but the stupidity that abounds around trying to make her live...that's what I hate about her. She makes the game stupider by remaining alive, despite her intentions to the contrary. :)

Am I the only person who doesn't like Aerith? I just find her so...mary-sue. She's got no substance, she's just nothig but good, a total martyr. She has no faults and to me she's just unrealistic, like a puppet instead of an actual character. does nobody else think she's got as much depth as a piece of paper?

Xx..xX

That's your opinion, but I don't find her one bit like 'Mary Sue', nor paper-esque. I found her very diverse in character. Though she was supreme goodness, there were many elements about her that remained hidden for a vast majority of the game. Essentially, she was sort of an enigma. You don't even know she's a Cetra until over halfway into the game, as well as the kind of life she lived. She was a strong character who held her composure for the greater good. She also comes across, to me anyway, as a very sacrificial character, knowing that her fate was to die so that she could protect the Planet, since it was apparent that Holy was summoned too late.

She's supreme goodness, yes, but I don't think that makes her any less interesting. She actually had many elements to her character and the story of her life, which I find extremely fascinating. Not to mention she's a Cetra. Cetra are known as being very Holy people and very in-tune with nature. This fact makes me think that if she wasn't good then it would not fit her race, nor the purpose she played in the game.

Back