FFVIII - Worth Getting?

Well said! I personally love this game, and have no desire to compare it to any other FF- I prefer to treat them as stand alone games unless they're a sequel or whatever. I do prefer this game to other FF games, however that's just because I enjoy playing it more than, say FFIX. But that's not me comparing the games, that's just me considering which one I enjoy to play more. I wouldn't come straight out and say something like "I think FFVIII is better than FFIX" because I don't- I just enjoy playing FFVIII more

I can't say I remember much from FFVIII because I watched my brother play it. When I wanted to play it apparently he lost the disks which made me go fml. xD But nonetheless I'm planning on getting it because I've heard great reviews and the storyline's pretty good.

The complexity of this game is what makes it so fun and unique. Once you have finished playing it, you feel accomplished, plus, all of the side quests are fun and it feels great to have unlocked everything in this game. sure the storyline can be bit....wishy washy, but it still all holds together somehow and work...its worth getting :P

Worth getting it for sure. Some of the criticism of the game stems from either people disliking the junction system and its perceived complexity, whilst others find Squall a difficult character to like. I found him quite an interesting main character though to be fair. His abrasive character early on in the game was quite well explained through the course of the game and it did make sense. I find the junction system is quite easy to use but it does make magic somewhat obsolete. The story and the character development is pretty good overall, except maybe Irvine...I always got the feeling like he was just thrown in there randomly.

Tbh I miss heroes like Cloud and Squall (and most of the FF6 Chars).

I have to agree with what someone said just a few posts up (I'm too lazy to look to see who it was, lol) that when you beat FFVIII you just feel accomplished. Of course, I felt that way when I beat FFVII, but not as much. I think all of the FFs (with the exception of X-2) are great games by themselves. They all have differences that make them unique and a fun experience.

I would recommend anyone to buy FFVIII just because I love the story and the gameplay. In my opinion, it's a fantastic game. But that's just me!

I love that game. It is my favorite game not only of the series but of all I've played which is a good bit. I even enjoyed the junction system which some seem to dislike. Squall was very cool and I like him more than Cloud. The cgs were pretty great especially for a psone game. The charcters were great though they had their moments....I have to say there are characters in every game that have some annoying moments, Aeris annoyed me. I love VII, but I adore VIII. I do have to say though, Sephiroth is a better villain than Ultimecia. I also enjoyed Nobuo's work with the music most on VIII. The Legendary Beast is epic pwnage xD

8's got good graphics and I think the Junction system's unique but... the game is pretty much piss easy, easy to abuse, and the plot really really blows. I was at level 12 on average until disc 3 just by carding enemies lol...

Well, I personally liked the game. :D the characters we're awesome (loved Zell) ^^ the graphics we're good and the junctioning system was [out]side the box. I enjoyed playing this game and I think it's worth getting fer sure :)

Get it. Period.

I mean, the characters are a mix of lively/depressed/agressive/~insert mood~, the story is well written..the backstories are quite good aswell and as a plus, the Junction System is quite easy to comprehend.
"Real-sized" characters is also a new entry at this point, and a good one IMO.

Get it, no questions asked. :)

For any real final fantasy fan this is the one game you must have in your collection. Everything about this game just pulled you in, the characters, the twists, romance, junction system, battle system and also the graphics. Sure they are not something to scream home about with how the gaming industry has become more adapted graphically wise but compared to how final fantasy vii was it was a huge step up.

Personally this is my favourite from the series because i loved how every single character was inter linked along the way, through the past, each other, parents or through there garden it just seemed so well thought out. Also the scenes were very unique to the game and some were just amazing. The storyline is also really fresh or was fresh at the time and i think even now with the way graphics have changed you will really like this game just because of the storyline.

also the mini game triple triad can become very addictive also, it was a huge change to a game.

I think it's worth getting for the storyline too. A lot of people, particularly younger gamers, might not "get" the game to begin with because of the crappy (compared to today's standard) graphics. If that's the case, I say bear with it. The story is worth the not-as-polished-as-you're-used-to graphics...

I think it's not worth getting. The system this game offers is broken and totally unballanced, the battles are slow and boring, the sidequests are unrewarding, and the plot is decent at best.

I think it is worth getting. May even be a good starter choice for those who are wanting to get into the FFs. Good characters, story, GFs and battle system. The battle system is one of the most active of the FFs.

Get it. If FF8 came out before FF7, all would hail it the breakthrough game. Unfortunately, when you're after a "classic", there's a stigma that the game isn't as good. But that's not the case. FF8 is great. It has an unique battle system and a good storyline. And those graphics for 1998 was top notch.

Personally, it's my least favorite of the Playstation FF games, but it's still an awesome game and worth getting. The story is detailed, epic, and just great. The characters are diverse and all have different moods all the time. (Squall- Antisocial/Quiet, Zell- Insane, Seifer- Jerk ect.) The card game is fun and has a lot of depth to it. The only real problem is the battle system. Enemies level up as you do, so level grinding is useless, you have to "Junction" magic on your stats to make them higher which can be confusing and tedious, you really could get through the game with your starter weapon because the weakest weapon to the most powerful weapon is only like an extra 20 strenght.

In my opinion it is one of the best Fantasies, but still there are some people that hate it. The battle system is said to be the worst part of the game, but it is my favorite(materia system was good to) battle system. Comparing it to FF9s battle system, FF8 is far superior and has a lot more customization. It is just confusing at the beginning. It is one of those games where grinding isn't a good idea and sometimes works against you.

And those graphics for 1998 was top notch.

Of course they were. It's just that some of the younger gamers, who are used to the PS3/XBOX360 games, may feel that the graphics aren't worth bothering with. I'm not saying all, or even most. Just some.

This topic is an insult to all things FF8 related, if you ask this question, you're so not worthy of owning it.

Thing is, you can use this argument for any ff game if you're a fan...

Last edited:
Back