FFVIII - Worth Getting?

It definitely is. One of the best games I ever played (I won't say one of the best FFs, because each FF is kinda one of the best FFs for me :P)

I liked the characters (mainly Squall, Rinora, Quistis, Selphie), liked the story and the junction system.
The GFs summoning were annoying, as I seen them too many times :gonk:.

But I pay less attention to such things if the plot is good, and it was.
Maybe even the best I have seen so far in any FF game.

Storyline ~ I liked it, but the main thing that got to me was the drastic change in the personality of Squall. (everyone who's played the game knows what I'm talking about)

Gameplay ~ UGH!! Loved the GF's absolutely! But having to draw the magics from the enemies! OMG! I always drew one!!

This game is iffy to me. It's just like anyother FF game to me. There's always going to be something that someone doesn't like about something or another. :/

Worth getting? All FF games are different. And everyone has different tastes in things. I say it's an FF get it, try it out, and you'll see.

Final Fantasy VIII is a terrible game, the only good thing about it is the music. I'm a huge FF fan, but VIII I stay away from. I don't know what they were thinking of when they decided to put a school day feel into the game with the Junction system.

*ATTENTION ALL FINAL FANTASY FANS...STAY AWAY FROM THE ABOMINATION THAT IS VIII*

Just play VII, IX, and X if you want to play a good 3D Final Fantasy game. All three of them are far better than VIII.

Definitely worth getting, i gotta say though first time i played through i really didn't like it much, but on my second playthrough i got totally addicted!!

Of course 8 is worth getting, the card game rulesss alll! but the game itself is not the best but its up there

This was the first game I played out of the FF series, and it was really good. The opening alone was amazing. The characters were alright, but now that I think about them, Squall was pretty blah, even tho he is a awesome character, but oh well, he just need's a little more emotion that doesn't make him seem depressed. Zell was awesome, so was everyone else (excluding Irvine, but I didn't really play him, so I can't really say yes or no on that) The gameplay is really well done, the story is good, the graphics were great for their time.

Most people who says this game sucks or is horrible are those ff7 fanboys.. They got so stuck and used to ff7 that they can't COPE with ff8's innovative battle system, not to mention it's superior graphics compared to 7 lol.. It's just like learning kung fu, your master will say "empty your cup".. because if you're a fanboy who is so filled with his/her ff7 "experiences and knowledge" then you will have a hard time learning 8's different style.. I have nothing against 7, really, it's a great game but given that, there would always be even better games.. sadly though, ff after x are !$@#%$&^... XD

Music = 10/10
Gameplay = 8.5/10
Story = 9/10
Graphics = 10/10 (for a psx game, it's graphics is superb XD)

Last edited:
:kelly:I never beat it but it was fun but it isn't better than FFVII

Mod Edit: Please avoid such short posts in future please, they are considered one-liners, thanks ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll say it's about equal to FF VII and is definitely worth getting. I've never beaten it either...I got stuck aboard the Ragnarok, so I do have a sort of grudge against the game because I've tried to beat it 3 times now and have failed all 3 times. But, it was good while it lasted, to be sure.

This game has its flaws, but it's definitely worth getting.

Here are the reasons I think people dislike it:

1) It's different. VII was great and then they did this weird thing. VIII has a very different battle system that threw out old staples like armor and MP. It also has a different sort of story. Yeah, there's this epic thing about sorceresses, but for a lot of the game you're not really emotionally invested in the conflict. It's all just a framing device for Squall's development as a character. A lot of people didn't understand that or didn't like it and thought the story was weak.
2) Rinoa. Yeah, I hear you here. She's an awful character, completely annoying and immature. I think they missed what they were going for with her.
3) Squall. I love him. I think he's one of the best developed characters in the series, BUT a lot of people found his antisocial prickliness annoying. However, he mostly gets over it by the end of the game.
4) The plot. There are a couple of places where it admittedly gets pretty ludicrous. That revelation on the basketball court totally broke my suspension of disbelief, and Rinoa asking about Squall's necklace on the battlefield made me groan.

Here are the reasons why I think it's awesome anyway:
1) The gameplay. The junction system is poorly explained in the tutorials, but after I got it I had lots of fun fiddling with junctions and optimizing stats. The limit break system took some getting used to, but it also made battles a lot more frenetic and fun. Plus there's so much stuff to collect and so many different ways to do it. VIII probably has my favorite gameplay in the series. It's the only FF in which I've maxed out my characters' levels.
2) All of the cast except for Rinoa. Before VIII, I feel like Final Fantasy was mostly populated with anime stereotypes and archetypal badasses. Don't get me wrong, I love the characters of IV, VI, and VII as much as the next FF fan, but they weren't people, at least not without some considerable reading between the lines.VIII's characters feel like real humans, with all the strengths and weaknesses that entails. (Also, it was a little refreshing to have some male eye candy in the form of Squall, Irvine, and Laguna :))
3) The Ultimecia is Rinoa from the future theory. I think this may have been refuted by word of god, but there are some lines in the game that pretty heavily foreshadow it, and Ultimecia and Griever don't make much sense without it. I think it makes the story a much more cohesive whole and redeems most of the ridiculousness in the plot.

So... tl;dr: Rinoa sucks, and the plot is occasionally silly, but awesome characters, awesome gameplay, and a whacked out fan theory make it awesome.

FF VIII is worth getting because it is different from the staple RPGs out there. Every complaint I hear about VIII is that it's too "different" or "complicated." I'm sorry but if we live in a world where gamers complain that an RPG is "to complicated" than I weep for any future of the genre. It's when games come out that challenge the usual storyline and gameplay cliches that they are worth getting.

Squall is such a fantastic character that it blows my mind. People complain that he's rude, or mean, or stand-offish, but there is a little bit of squall in everyone. And any game that develops it's main character so beautifully and completely just takes my breath away. Every time I play FF VIII I almost cry in it's absolute brilliance to effectively show the frusterating burdens of leadership and the absolute terror of being alone.

Rinoa, although occasionally annoying, is so much like many girls that she is such a believable character. She is supposed to start off as a somewhat flirty/ditzy character that evolves past her simple goals of liberating Timber to deciding that there is more at stake in the world than her own selfish ambitions. She is perfectly squall's "other-half."

FF VIII is so emotionally moving and utterly perfect in it's presentation that it is worth multiple play throughs. With the supurbly different junction system and the thrown-away reliance on traditional JRPG settings (saving the world takes a back seat to romance in this one) that it just blows me away every time.

I think it is completely worth getting. I loved the characters, every single one was unique in there own way. I especially like Irvine mostly because I thought he was a really funny character. I also really enjoyed the battle system. I liked how you could increase Squall's attack by pulling the 'trigger' of his gunblade, just an awesome idea on SE's part.

I also really enjoyed the Draw system, I thought it was a really innovative system that I think should be induced in other games. I mean you could really make your characters really beefy with the right magic. I also enjoyed the GF's of the game, I liked all the different variety's that you could choose from and also enjoyed the fact that the GF's would go faster if they liked the character more. That was really cool.

I also enjoyed Triple Triad, it was fun to collect all the cards. And it was fun to try and beat someone with all the different rules in effect. As you can see I dont really have anything to bad to say about this game. It was a great game and recommend it to anyone who wants to play a great game.

I really, really enjoyed FFVIII. It was the first FF game I played, and it got me into the series.

A lot of people complain about the characters, I think (I haven't read the rest of this thread, although I probably will :D) and I don't really agree. I loved most if not all of the characters. I would have liked to see a bit more from a few (Irvine, Ward, and Xu come to mind at first.) but overall I liked everything. The main cast gets shoved to the side in favor of Squall and Rinoa at one point, but really, FFVIII is a love story. It is in my eyes, at least.

I love the magic system as well, NO ETHERS. No ethers is total WIN. I really hate using items in this game, though, and I don't actually recall using the item command ever. I loved drawing, actually, and the magic refinement a lot though. It was really easy to avoid leveling up in this game, unlike in some others. The card game really tied in with the magic, for me at least. You can really abuse the cards to get high leveled magic at an early point in the game. You could actually get Blizzara or Blizzaga before the Fire Cavern if you did everything right.. although I don't know if it's really worth your time.

The Junction system, which so many complain about, was actually... wonderful. I hate level grinding, and the Junctions got rid of any need to level grind, other than to learn the GF abilities. It's a bit hard to figure out at first, but the tutorials should help, and if you need further help after that, there's always FFF and gamefaqs to check.

I was a bit iffy on the plot at times, but the majority of the time... there wasn't a thing I didn't like about FF8. It's still one of my favorite games ever :3

FF8 is the best FF ever. Don't be fooled by those who say 4, or 6, or 7, 8 is the bestest there is.

Now, to be serious, 8 does have it's flaws, as do the previously listed games, but I think that they are lesser flaws. This game has a memorable story line, great realistic characters, and an amazing soundtrack. In short, it's a great game.

The story is about teenagers, but don't let that scare you. Don't let people scare you either. Show that you're above the influence and grab the game somewhere, and try it yourself.

It is way funner then FF7, and thankfully, has a much better translation.

It is definetly worth getting. Its one of the first and best FFs you can get and its :awesome: The graphics truly revolutionized the series and the story is really exciting. Also, the character development is very unique. The world is a mix of old time with futuristic things thrown in. If you want a game that will last a long time and never get boring for like a whole year, then yeah, its worth getting :jess:

LOL @ The generalizations in this thread.

I really don't like FFVIII. I never have, I never will and it isn't because I didn't 'get it' or couldn't master the 'complex battle/magic system'.

I got FFVIII. I know how to operate the Junction system and even though I haven't played the game in years, I can still remember how to do it. Just because someone doesn't like or appreciate something you do, doesn't make them a rabid crazy fanboy.

TBH, most of the people who whine about FFVIII being better than VII and not understanding why people hate or dislike it, sound more butthurt and bitter than the FFVII fanboys xD

FFVII was the first FF I played but it wasn't the first RPG I played. Then I played VIII as soon as it was released and was hugely disappointed. BUT, then I played IX as soon as it was released and I fell completely in love with it. I love IX as much as I love VII, and tbh, I don't think I could pick which one is my favorite anymore. So, saying that a VII fanboy loves VII and only VII and no other FF is borderline retarded.

VIII's graphics were better. There is no question about that...but that's kind of what happens when technology is developed and expounded upon.

If you love VIII and it's your favorite...that's great. If not...that's also great. Keep your generalizations to yourself.

Back