FFVII - Worth Getting?

I think its pretty worth getting...if you are used to the newer FF's and you go back to this now its like going back in a time warp to a FF where things weren't very stylish, graphics dependant and etc.. But I think the story itself is very good.

I won't lie, I'm still playing it for the first time..and while it did take me a fair amount of time to get into, I really do like it. The characters are pretty memorable (while I think there might be too many of them) and the gameplay is genuine Final Fantasy...the materia just took me a bit to get used to.

Like I said, even though I haven't finished it yet I think it will have pretty decent replayability...and there are mini games and treasures outside of what is required to play the game through, so you'll be occupied for awhile after you finish, which is nice. If you are new to the series and want to get into the earlier versions of FF than VII I think would be a good median place to start. This has better graphics, better gameplay, and a better story than the very first installments of FF.

of course this game is worth getting. I actually just bought on more used copy off of ebay...had to make sure I got it before they go up even more in price

i would say it is definately worth getting , i am not that big of a video game fan, but once i started playing ff7, i am hooked into it , so it is worth trying

Worth it to get it and try it out. Although I find it gets quite boring... needs better gameplay IMO.

If you are going to get the original FFVII, get it sooner rather than later. It seems the game is getting more and more rare by the day. I got it for a friend`s birthday last year, and the only way to get it in decent condition without paying about $200 or more was as a "Like New" collectible. It just depends on the person I guess, some people who are so used to High Definition games can`t stand the original FFVII because of how outdated its graphics are. Who knows, it could have enough of an impact on you to change your life. I would say it is definitely worth giving the experience a try, then if you beat it have fun with the really weird stuff in the debug room if you got a PSX game shark.

I think it's the best FF game so far. Perhaps 4,5 or 6 competes, but then again I'm not that graphically inclined so I don't mind. Might be that the obviously outdated graphics bother some people, but besides that I think it's the best game made yet.

I would have to say that FF7 is more than worth getting. For it is by far the best FF game although FFX is close second, but the amount of involvement the player has in the characters materia choices etc. and also the emotional storyline that strings players along for the ride makes this game worth buying.

.FTR.

I'm playing FF VII for the first time too. I downloaded the PC version of it and so far I'm enjoying it eventhough I know the main plot already since I watched AC and CC before that and read up the storyline in Wiki. I like the materia system compare to the normal sytem of leveling up a character for them to learn new abilities (It makes them look like Pokemons! lol).

Oh it's definitely worth getting. If you can get past the out of date graphics to enjoy the game play and developing story then it's very worth getting. It has a brilliant world map, once you get past all the things you have to do in Midgar, and a ton of replay value.

Despite it being a pretty overrated game with tonnes of scary fantards the game is actually worth getting. Specially if you haven't had the plot ruined for you.

The characters are really loveable, specially Cloud, Tifa and Aerith. The story is really, really good and there is just heaps to do like collecting weapons, materia and side quests.

The Graphics are really really outdated now which is unfortunate but if you enjoy older games like I do, you wont find it a problem. The Music is good and you'll probably find yourself reading into subtle romance (love triangle) and picking a pairing CloudxTifa or CloudxAerith which can kind of make the game more fun for you.

This is definitely a must buy, not the best FF game in my opinion (FFIX FTW) but still a very nice play!

I would say because of its popularity, its good to get it. Though that automatically doesn't mean that you will like it any more. Its not exactly the sort of game you try out for a couple days or whatever. I think you need to complete it before you can make a full critique for it. Go ahead :)

I would say because of its popularity, its good to get it. Though that automatically doesn't mean that you will like it any more. Its not exactly the sort of game you try out for a couple days or whatever. I think you need to complete it before you can make a full critique for it. Go ahead :)
Good point. It is one of those games that once you start for the first time you're sort of required to finish it even if it's against your will :).

Definitely a game worth buying. I've played most of the games in the Final Fantasy series and this one is still my favorite. The graphics suck to be completely honest but the great storyline and gameplay makes up for it. I've owned the game for years now and replayed it a few times, for sure worth the $20 or so dollars for it.

hahahahhhh... yeah.

Final Fantasy 7 is all and all a pretty good game. It gets a lot of shit for the compilation of whoring that it has gotten, but everyone who bitches about the game knows that they actually like it.

Kind of like World of Warcraft players. They constantly bitch about the state of the game, but keep paying their subscriptions. But that's another topic for a different thread.

For it's time, the game was fairly impressive, and probably was one of the best RPGs ever made. It's probably not going to be as exciting playing it for the first time in your life in 2011, but in 1997, it was like ejaculating onto jessica alba's face over and over again.

...or whoever was hot back then, like maybe Jennifer Lopez or Britney Spears.

Last edited by a moderator:
My boyfriend bought this through the PSN for me a few days ago. I've just got onto the world map, and it's really pulling me in. I've really enjoyed it so far. I did kinda avoid it for a while, mainly because of the hype- I wanted to try it a long time after I'd read about it. Then when I decided to try it, I couldn't get hold of it for love nor money. Now I have got it though, I've got into it. I've only just got onto the world map, but it seems quite interesting :)

Short answer: YES!

Slightly longer answer: The graphics are not up to standards with todays videogames, but if you can get past that and can stand random encounters this is still an amazing game. I started playing this again after completing Crisis Core (Another amazing game) and it really still holds up and beats the crap out of more or less all the JRPGs of this generation. I still havent found a game that moves me the way FF VII does.

I still consider FF VII to be the best game ever made, so my anser is something in the lines of "What are you waiting for, go out and get this game, I think its dirt cheap on PSN nowadays"

When you are done I also recomend playing Final Fantasy IX, probably the game that has aged best of the PS1-games.

They dont make em like these anymore.

IT was okay. If you like the FF series I say get it, but It's not in my top 5 FF's. Story was all over the place, most of the characters werent really interesting, Cloud is a bum. That is all.

Short answer: YES!

Slightly longer answer: The graphics are not up to standards with todays videogames, but if you can get past that and can stand random encounters this is still an amazing game. I started playing this again after completing Crisis Core (Another amazing game) and it really still holds up and beats the crap out of more or less all the JRPGs of this generation. I still havent found a game that moves me the way FF VII does.

I still consider FF VII to be the best game ever made, so my anser is something in the lines of "What are you waiting for, go out and get this game, I think its dirt cheap on PSN nowadays"

When you are done I also recomend playing Final Fantasy IX, probably the game that has aged best of the PS1-games.

They dont make em like these anymore.

To expand on this, which I agree with wholly, and becasue Im supposed to be working, not browsing the internets....

It annoys me how much people put into graphics in a game these days, though yes we're all used to Square pulling out all the stops graphically, and we were all in awe of how amazing VII looked at the time, I just think newcomers, and youngsters to the series are just abit too spoiled by graphics these days. If its summat pretty to look at, go watch a film. I'm one of the few it seems, that enjoyed FFXIII, but for gameplay, FFVII beats it hands down.

I find it really easy to replay VII, I dont have to adjust to the graphics as I think Ive always played it that little bit too regular, so ive never come to it and thought ahhhhhh lego final fantasy that and these new fandangled games do nothing for me. Its all just a little bit 'too realistic' for me. I live in real life, why do I want real life simulated so perfectly in a game?

Also, random encounters will never not fuck me off, but thats just part and parcel of an FF I suppose

FFIX (y) Replaying that at the mo, that game's timeless.

Back