FFVI: Love It or Hate It?

I loved it. To me it had some great characters. And wow, it seemed to go on forever... but in a good way. There was also a very large but nice number of story themes.

I really don't like this game. People praise it to heaven and back, but I found it very mediocre and it did not live up to my expectations. Kefka was fine though. Terra, however, was the worst Final Fantasy protagonist ever in my opinion.
That's too bad, because Terra was one of my favorite characters. Her Esper form was neat. And wow oh wow, she did some incredible things if I remember right. Also the contrast between both her forms is pretty cool... she goes from a green-haired character to... well, I'll try to let players see the game for themselves.

But that is just my opinion. Care to say what you didn't like about her?

Last edited:
If I had to choose between love and hate I'd go with love, because I didn't hate it. Quite the opposite. While it ranks low on my top five favorite Final Fantasy games of all time I still found it entertaining to play and if I found it on the shelves somewhere to buy I'd most likely would. Even though there was always one part of the game I'd get stuck on where you're require to perform some quick combo thing to perform a move. That was the point where I quit playing but everything I did leading up to that point was fun to play.

But that is just my opinion.

Noted and respected.

Care to say what you didn't like about her?

I found her obnoxious, whiny, she had enough power to actually help and chose not too (such as in the World of Ruin and she decided to not go with you and save the world from Kefka) and she just seemed like a lame idea for a character. I personally would have loved it if Celes was the one and only lead, rather than the lead for the latter half of the game.

--she had enough power to actually help and chose not too (such as in the World of Ruin and she decided to not go with you and save the world from Kefka)
Well she did have the lives of the children to take care of....
m033.gif

I especially enjoyed the music. I don't know why, but I think the music score from ffvi has got to be my favorite out of all the ff's i've played.

The storyline wasn't that great, but what got me was the number of different characters and how you were allowed a glimpse of everyone's past. Most diverse cast in all of the ffs for sure.

But if you revisit her, she does come and help.

Curious, does that happen some time after
the attack on the village where she's looking after the children happen and she finds herself unable to really fight
or another part of the game?

Curious, does that happen some time after
the attack on the village where she's looking after the children happen and she finds herself unable to really fight
or another part of the game?
(Well if Terra wasn't there...who would look after the children and the pregnant teenager? :P)

Oh, but there are two parts in the game where you can freely get her. When you first arrive
and battle the monster attacking the village
and then again later if you get another character.

But either way, if you don't
get Terra, she comes to help you anyway.

:(

I definetly loved this game.. For me to play this game about 13 years or so after it's release for the first time and still put it towards the top of my favorites list is pretty remarkable if you ask me.. Just really shows how it withstood the test of time.. From the hilarious evil villian, to the jaw dropping opera scene, to vanishing and warping dinosaurs in the forest for good exp.. This game was just a fun time all around.. definite recommended buy.

Finally finished the game and I agree with the hype I've been hearing about this game, it is easily one of the better FF games out right now. The only major thing I didn't like about the game is that it seemed too easy. Most of the bosses, while some had some ridiculously overpowered attacks, they seemed to go down way too quickly. The characters were enjoyable, the battle system was fun, the story was good. I also enjoyed it's different style of constantly changing the main character.

Love or hate? Those are two very polarizing options. I'd think most people would vote for somewhere in the middle ground before they voted that they hated the game (thus there being only 2 hate votes in the OP's poll as of now) so it's a little slanted in love's favor. That said... I loved this game.

I agree with most the points Shadow-3D made on the first page, though I've not played Arkham Asylum, so I can't really comment on that. But yeah; loved the exploration and discovery in this game. I know that isn't everyone's cup of tea-some people want to be directed where to go at all times throughout the game. They could never get through a game from the Fallout or Elder Scrolls series.) Also, a few of the characters are my favorite in the series: Locke Cole is my favorite thief, Terra Branford is probably my favorite protragonist, Mog is my favorite moogle, and Kefka is by far my favorite villain.

One page back, someone mentioned that Terra doesn't get the same hate Cecil, Cloud, or Squall get for it. I dunno if that person is still around to see this, but here's my thoughts on this:

1. I've never seen anyone hate on Cecil. Maybe it's the different forum communities we hang out at, but... yeah. Don't see it, there.

2. Cloud was introspective and depressed... and then he got more introspective and depressed after the end of the original game, in Advent Children or any other subsequent appearance he made in a game. We get ridiculous lines like "I won't be able to sleep tonight" after he wins fights in Dissidia. He helped save to world, there was a hot girl there who really liked him (and helped him rediscover himself)... and yet he couldn't get over this other girl's death, and needed to be forgiven for it when it wasn't his fault. So his whole depression and introspection starts to delve into cliche emo territory.

3. I'm pretty sure Squall gets hated on because he was a cold, unfriendly dick for much of the game, not because he was depressed or introspective.

That's how I would explain that. And unlike those other characters, up until the very start of the game, Terra had no family or friends, and no past. She was like a child in a foreign world, trying to figure things out for herself. I think she has the most right to be introspective and depressed, heh (although I never really saw her as being depressed, really...) Also, a bit sexist, but... she's a girl. She gets a little more leeway to be emotional. Guys are supposed to be tough and strong, and never cry, didn't you know? Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

Truthfully, I liked the game but didn't love it to pieces. It's not polarizing - I truly only like it. I felt that, while the characters were well fleshed out and the world truly dizzying in scope, I felt the storyline didn't really draw upon it's cast enough. Some characters got an intro scene and then were relegated to the back row as "just another hero" (I'm looking at you, Cyan), and while each character had a unique ability I felt some got shafted in relation to others (Yuhhuh, Runic is as good an ability as Blue magic or Tools, I'll buy that. /sarcasm).

That being said, creating a world that immersive is no mean feat, and I salute the creators for that. I felt the game just fell short in a few key areas, which was a shame.

I love this game, the storyline and characters make this possibly my favourite FF.

The characters are really fleshed out to a point where each character could have their own video game purely based on them, and it be successful and I thought giving Cyan old English dialect to me, was hilarious.
As others have mentioned the story is long, really long, but I still managed to never lose interest and I'm the type of person who can't concentrate on one thing for a long time usually, however once I started this game I couldn't put it down!

Simply amazing!

Best characters (there's no game character better than Kefka in the world) and music. Gameplay is gets kinda boring because the battles are far to frequent.

If you had to pick, would you say you love the game, or hate the game? Explain the reasons why you feel this strongly about the game in this thread and share your opinions.
Love it!

One of my favorite games. Mostly because of each characters back-story/past events. Even though there's a huge amount of characters, each one has at least one part of the game which focuses solely on them and gives the gamer an inside look at what makes them carry on with the journey to stop Kefka on his reign of terror.

Even though the graphics are "eh", the story is one of the best in the series of FF games. The villain is hate-able right away, but also has that side of humor to him that definitely doesn't make him boring. Great game. Love it. Amazing.

Honestly, I love this game. Just finished on playing it for the first time, and I'm stupified with myself, for living for so many years without discovering such a beautiful game. Though I personally would have preffered Celes to be the very main instead of Terra, but yet Terra it's still a fine lead character. I adore Edgar's chainsaw and hockey mask, Cyan's tragic loss, Sabin's manliness, Mog's fluffiness, Shadow's dreams, Locke's obsession with Rachel... you know, those things.

And Kefka. Oh, that fucked-up psycho. I couldn't decide between hating or loving him, and that's what makes me think that he's among the best villains ever made on FF. Though I discovered him through Dissidia and easily sympathized with him then, when I played the original game, I came to really hate him on many parts of the game. I hate Kefka, and that's why he's my favorite FF villain.

And well, besides the story and characters, I absolutely loved all the crazy cracktastic parts... specially this one in particular:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u84cH_bmTA

I finished playing the game a few weeks ago and I really loved it. Not the best, but dang the variety of characters that were involved! Amazing how I was really able to feel for the characters that were not 3D models. Goes to show that graphics don't matter in a game. Kefka's Tower and the final fight with the 4 bosses, didn't expect all that O_O

I've played this for a few hours now. I really like it so far! :D The story is well-paced, intriguing and the characters are all convincing and individual. Each has developed slowly, as people do, and the conflicts they have to struggle through are varied and it's easy to identify with their reactions.

The battle system isn't too bad either! It's not groundbreaking, because it's from a more basic period in gaming history, but it's speedy enough and suitable for a handheld (I have VI on my PSP).

It is, and probably always will be, my favourite Final Fantasy installment. Everyone's beaten the reasons why it's so good to death by now, so I'll just add that, out of all the games, it's the only one whose music still gets stuck in my head on a regular basis. And playing Shadow's theme on a guitar is hella fun.

What's not to love about this game. It is imo the best one in the series. I have literally beat this game in the double digits, it never gets old for me. Here's a few reasons why is i love it and it is imo the best FF:

Best FF Character Ever: Celes
Best FF Antagonist: Kefka

-Compelling Story
-14 memorable(playable characters)
-Awesome Gameplay
-Setzer
-Opera Scene
-No Linearity(World of Ruin)

-Setz-

Back