FFVI and leveling

Gavindale Marchovia

ShinRa Guard
Gil
I heard that it is not a good idea to level up a character early in the game, rather save the leveling process for later. It is unclear to me why it is not a good idea, I have heard that leveling early deprives the character(s) of vital stat bonuses, but I don’t know if that is true. To be honest, I tend to level some in the beginning of the game, to be able to hold my own and purchase provisions.

Once you get espers, you can give characters a bigger boost in certain stats, but in the end it is how you want to level them uo.

I don't know much about how this game works, but I am eager to learn. Could you give me an example, a suggestion, or maybe a description about this? I figure I could dive into the game with some sort of idea of what is going on.

Basically for the level up system, once you get espers. Some of them will give you certain stats boost.

For an example one esper will give you +2 HP or something like that for every level you have it equipped.

Also Espers help you learn magic. Depending on the espers you get, you can learn certain magic once it is 100%.

That said, I'm at a loss with whether or not I should level up at any given place in the game, because I don't know what has yet to come, like if early in the game I have an Esper that gives +2 hit points, and I level up with that Esper equipped, I won't be able to benefit if later into the game there is an Esper that gives +6 hit points and +6 spell points but I already leveled earlier in the game. (I'm using hit points and spell points as references because I honestly don't know what kind of benefits these Esper's will provide).

Sorry for the delay, but really... I don't worry too much about it. If you are asking if there is a specific spot you should level up... Not really, Whenever you get stuck, just go ahead and level up, since all your people level up naturally. Only thing to keep in mind is when you equip an Esper, to make sure that once they learned all the magic from that esper, that you go and pick another one. :elmo:

If I remember correctly, power leveling in FFVI is a big pain in the ass because there's just not enough 'sweet spots' in the game to progress your characters quickly.

Speaking of which, FFXII is the most fun in power leveling, probably because if you don't, you're going to die horribly at every turn :D

So let me make sure I am reading this right.... if an esper grants the character a stat bonus for each level, is that retroactive as well? I am the kind of player that will do some leveling, enough to get max my provisions, weapons, armor, and such... but with this game it looks like I might have to hold off on the leveling if it is more beneficial to wait and get the "level up stat bonues" from the appropriate esper.

I can't find my FFIX game so I restarted this game yesterday. I was tempted to sit outside a Health and MP spring and gring early on when I only have Terra, Locke, and Edgar, but it takes so many battles to reach each level this low. It's not worth it to me I don't think unill I have a 4 party team and a little bit tougher enemies.

There's many times in the game where areas like this will be available, so definitely press through the game and a better grind area will present itself.

Sounds like a good plan, I am all for leveling up, and again like I said before, my only problem with leveling up anywhere in the game is that if I level up at any given point in the game (early in my case), any espers that I might have then might have a stat boost, but espers further into the game will have a better stat boost. So I guess I can either level like I am used to and have certain boosts, or wait till much later in the game and have a better boost. Honesty, I am torn in two directions - level now and get a little exp and money, or wait and see what happens a ways into the game... in the way of magic and espers.

In complete honesty, unless you're going for the bonus dungeon on the GBA version (and maybe one or two of the sidequest dragon bosses), then you really don't need to worry about leveling at the right times etc. The game is really simple.

I will say this though: before heading into the last dungeon, make sure your party are around level 60 at least. If you want to reach this the easiest way (or even higher), google "dino forest". You can't access this location until end game, but it's amazing for exp :).

Yeah another perk to waiting is the farther you get in the game, the more Espers you'll have and the higher the Loot/Gil from battles will be as well. You'll be able to not only level up your characters and get lots more Gil later on, but you can kill 2 birds (or 3 birds) with one stone and level up your Esper magic as well!

I don't really pay attention to the stat bonuses as maxing out stats isn't important to me and I can get through the game easily enough without the bonuses. I recently started this game again and have just reached Jidoor, at levels between 15 (Locke) and 17 (Edgar and Sabin). I consider this overleveled though I haven't been intentionally grinding as such... just making sure I encounter all the monster formations I want for the Veldt/Gau's Rages. When it comes to magic via Espers later on I only plan on having certain characters learn spells (and in effect will be the only ones to have Espers and the bonuses) who will probably be just Terra, Celes and Realm.

I found the best way to level your magic late in the World of Ruin is to go to the Fanatic's Tower and fight the enemies there since they give great MP bonuses after battle. Vanish + Doom/X-Zone works good in this place as well. You just have to be careful not to be X-Zoned yourself. Early on in the game there is a place in the Esper Cave ruins that grant lots of exp bonuses as well. My first, second and third playthroughs usually consisted of learning as much magic as I could within the least amount of battles. (failed on that), but most the time I learned magic by just switching out espers here and there. But as far as leveling, I'm almost certain the Cave of Gogo has enemies that have good exp too.

Sprout - a question about something you said above... about leveling at certain times, and playing the GBA version - can you give me some more information about what you were talking about?

Sprout - a question about something you said above... about leveling at certain times, and playing the GBA version - can you give me some more information about what you were talking about?

In terms of the GBA version, I just meant that you'll need to level a lot more if you want to go for the bonus dungeon that was added to the GBA version. If you aren't doing that, you don't need to worry about anything in the game other than playing for fun. It's one of the easiest FF games in terms of battles.

If you really want to level a lot for end game anxiety or whatever then just fly on over to dino forest for massive exp amounts. This is found here on the map (check the red arrow for where to fly to):

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Dinosaur_Forest?file=FFVI_Dinosaur_Forest_iOS.png

Just make sure to level up your lower level characters at the end; the ones you don't use. You'll be using your whole roster of characters for the last dungeon.

In complete honesty, unless you're going for the bonus dungeon on the GBA version (and maybe one or two of the sidequest dragon bosses), then you really don't need to worry about leveling at the right times etc. The game is really simple.

Hes right. If you play through the game and dont escape every battle youl make it to the end of the game easily enough. IF your going to fight the Dragons youl probably have to spend a couple hours levelling up but if your just interested in beating the game then just play it without running away from random encounters and ul be fine. If you are struggling just level up a bit in the most current dungeon.
IF your playing the ps1 port have fun with them menu loading times D=

Back