Votes: 37 8.3%
  • It's alright

Votes: 26 5.8%
  • I hate it

Votes: 10 2.2%
  • I've never even played it

Votes: 9 2.0%

• Total voters
I pretty much agree with what everyone has said - I absolutely adored FF9. It covered most of the key factors of an RPG - in-depth storyline, likable characters, great dialogue & character development, relatively great graphics, some nice side quests & cutscenes, AWESOME music... (Trance Kuja battle theme anyone? <3)

I agree that the battle system could have been a tad bit faster & the whole "trance" segment could have lasted a bit longer imo. x__x But other than that, this game was pretty excellent for its time. I didn't consider the character design to be "cartoon-ish," although it differed drastically from the more mature-looking sprites in FF8. In fact, there was a lot of intricate detail in the game design overall! ^^

I played this in line, after VIII and I can remember feeling slightly disappointed, but still the story was involving and it was a great game. The chincy looking sprites were kinda annoying though :)

I guess it's because things got better from VII to VIII and you would expect it to continue on that curve of getting better graphically, but it just didn't.

Still... not complaining, especially not hatin... wasn't as memorable as VII to me, but there ya go :D

I played this in line, after VIII and I can remember feeling slightly disappointed, but still the story was involving and it was a great game. The chincy looking sprites were kinda annoying though :)

I guess it's because things got better from VII to VIII and you would expect it to continue on that curve of getting better graphically, but it just didn't.

Still... not complaining, especially not hatin... wasn't as memorable as VII to me, but there ya go :D

You're right, the graphics didn't exactly progress in a linear fashion... xD It kinda diverged a lot - I mean, they almost look like chibi characters!

I guess I didn't mind though 'cause I thought they all looked very cute! :p hehe (tbh though, the graphics in FFVIII creeped me out 'cause it reminded me too much of Silent Hill, especially in the CG scenes!)

In my opinion, the last great Final Fantasy. I adore it, and put it up there with IV, VI, and VII as my personal top 4.

I love it!! I first played it 11 years ago and it was the game that started off the love of FF games for me :D It is incredibly aesthetically beautiful, the storyline was fun, the characters were adorable, and the battle system was simple without having to worry about only upgrading specific characters or certain characteristics, etc. My favourite of the whole series :D

This was my first final fantasy game to own, it was actually my cousin who loves playing final fantasy and i was always watching him, i just got curious and tried it, after finishing this game i started liking RPG games...

FF9 sure gave me good memories and i presented this game in our class back in highschool for some "show and tell" in english class and i had a standing ovation i never thought that almost all of my batch mates were attached to the final fantasy craze and it was the year that ff9 is at its peak!

i had played ff7 ff8 and final fantasy crisis core but i have to say 9 is still the best for me.

I see Zidane as Son Goku of final fantasy, i mean there are a lot of similirities with them and i kinda like it being a DBZ fan too ^_^.

Ofcourse there is Vivi and Amarant who in my opinion are the 2nd best characters in ff9, Zidane being number 1 he is very energetic and optimistic, always wearing that smile and he is very charming although he had his troubles with women. A cool guy, always helping others without any reasons.

Finay Fantasy 9 all the way!!!

Oh yeah i hope there would make another final fantasy 9, there are still many questions left unanswered ^_^

IX is really amazing... the char's are enjoyable, the story is great, and the battle system is great (except the minor issue of the trance... i hate how it automatically throws you into it)

IX is really amazing... the char's are enjoyable, the story is great, and the battle system is great (except the minor issue of the trance... i hate how it automatically throws you into it)

Yeah, I totally agree with you on the Trance thing. I feel like if it was more like FFVII's Limit Breaks or FFX's Overdrives, it would be more worthwhile. I hate wasting Trance turns on weak enemies. =__=

Yeah, I totally agree with you on the Trance thing. I feel like if it was more like FFVII's Limit Breaks or FFX's Overdrives, it would be more worthwhile. I hate wasting Trance turns on weak enemies. =__=

yea i definitely agree... even though i will not compare IX to VII or X i definitely hate wasting it... going into trance right before another player kills the enemy is the worst waste of a trance.... but other then that its an amazing game in itself

I of course loved IX -- it's my all-time favorite video game. <3 The setting, characters, story, music, everything about it is absolutely amazing to me every time I play it (on my 21st playthrough now).

I'm not done with the game yet, but god do I love the hell out of this game. It's just so.....old school. It has that nostalgia old school FF feel that is needed so badly in the franchise today. The battle system is the ATB which is great, having four to a party, ability to use front and back rows, etc. It just has that feeling of being just like the FF's of NES and SNES. I think most FF fans appreciate that. The use of weapons, armors, and items to gain abilities reminded me of the same learning abilities of FFVI using magicite, or FFVII using Materia, etc.

The characters were likable, comical, serious when they needed to be, and I connected with them rather easily. Except Quina. I couldn't stand that character. But almost every FF has a character I don't particularly like so that's okay. The story was simple, yet complex a little later on. It had that fantasy feel that is missing from a lot of FF games.

So what is there to hate about this game? I wasn't too fond of the automatic trance system, rather than the optional use of limit breaks or overdrives, etc. I like the option to save my limit breaks for bosses rather than wasting it on a puney random encounter. That got annoying. Besides that, and Quina, I have nothing else bad to say about the game. The music was beautiful, the graphics were great for the PS1 and it aged pretty well (better than VII).

Over the summer, I really had nothing to do after the Olympics were over so what did I do? I decided to replay IX. This FF has been my all time favorite game hands down. I get so damn attached to the game and I have the slightest clue why :hmmm: as soon as I beat it again, I wanted to replay it xD. The characters were out of this world with their own uniqueness and they all stood out to me. They all had their own story and I found that to be awesome as well. The storyline was amazing and I could never get enough of it. I loved every little detail this game had to offer. I enjoyed the 4 players at a time in your party, the synthesis, the mini-games, everything. :fan: I'm a nerd when it comes to this game and i could go on and on... xD. It was fantastic. on my top fave games for sure! :-) the idea of the 2 player was alright but it was something i haven't seen! So the game was great. L-O-V-E it ^_^

I freaking love this game! This game is everything a Final Fantasy should be. To me, this game is on another whole level of awesome compared to others. Everything about this game is perfect to me. The music, characters (even Freya!), battle system, the mini games were awesome also. I can't wait to play this game for a third time!

This game is untouchable to me. My favorite video game ever! :)

I guess Im gonna sound like a broken record but this is hands down my favorite Final Fantasy game of all time. Beating the game made it all the sweeter when I finshed every possible sidequest and beat every secret boss....I was kinda bummed that Kuja died though and I may be one of the few that feels that way. Also I thought the final boss was so awesome and i had tears of joy when I beat it....thankfully PSN has it for the PS1 and i have every final fantasy game that they offer on PSN. :D

I guess Im gonna sound like a broken record but this is hands down my favorite Final Fantasy game of all time. Beating the game made it all the sweeter when I finshed every possible sidequest and beat every secret boss....I was kinda bummed that Kuja died though and I may be one of the few that feels that way. Also I thought the final boss was so awesome and i had tears of joy when I beat it....thankfully PSN has it for the PS1 and i have every final fantasy game that they offer on PSN. :D

Well it's kind of left unknown whether Kuja died or not. We never actually see him die at the end.

that is a great point, but i think its left up for debate and i do think he dies by using the last of whatever energy he had to save Zidane.

I don't think he died. Zidane says that they're going to leave together, Kuja says he doesn't deserve to, but then when Zidane tries to convince him he passes out - or dies whichever you think. I think he's passed out because he's still moving like he's breathing, and when the vines come for them Zidane shields Kuja from the attack, which I don't think he'd do if he knew Kuja were already dead. I don't know how they get out, but I do think Kuja's alive. I think it's good that the designers left it for us to interpret.

I don't think he died. Zidane says that they're going to leave together, Kuja says he doesn't deserve to, but then when Zidane tries to convince him he passes out - or dies whichever you think. I think he's passed out because he's still moving like he's breathing, and when the vines come for them Zidane shields Kuja from the attack, which I don't think he'd do if he knew Kuja were already dead. I don't know how they get out, but I do think Kuja's alive. I think it's good that the designers left it for us to interpret.

I agree I love having debates on a person's own opinion....it's always neat when you can see from the point of view and what they think.

This is a love it/hate it thread, not a thread to discuss about character fates =)
Thanks for your understanding! Feel free to create a thread on Kuja's fate or search for an old one to continue this discussion.

Back