Espers? Does it matter?

I dont think it matters who you give them too, I jsut threew them on whoever as I got them, all I tried to make sure I did was distribute them evenly, though I never even used them. I could have stuck them all on Ashe who I never even use and it would have made no odds

The espers are shit

I dont think it matters who you give them too, I jsut threew them on whoever as I got them, all I tried to make sure I did was distribute them evenly, though I never even used them. I could have stuck them all on Ashe who I never even use and it would have made no odds

The espers are shit

I did pretty much the same. I tried to distribute them evenly between the characters that I used. I never really bothered to use them though. I summoned them all at least once just to see their overdrives (or whatever their called in this game).

Honestly, the only thing I found them useful for was providing somewhat challenging battles (since this game had very few). I actually tried summoning Ultima once when I was in dire need but that was a waste of time. She beat me to within an inch of my life when I fought her but she couldn't kill a fucking tomato. -__-

Granted it was a very high-leveled tomato, but still.... >_>

I think Ive summoned like 2 espers, I never even summoned them to look at which is unlike me, I normally always at least like to have a look at them once

I'd be aswel not assigning them to any character at all, they were just a waste of licence points if you ask me

And lol at the tomato comment xDD

I junction Espers to all of my characters, and i try to junction them to characters who i think that make a good fit.

I don't think there's a real reason to use them, except for maybe boss battles, besides that i don't feel the need to summon them as they usually die fast against tough monsters who gang up on them.

Still i like to junction them.

The espers were not as useful as in some of the other games, like in VIII where you could pretty much spam summons through the entire game instead of strategizing, but for those of us who liked the difficulty level of XII I guess that's a part of it. I wish the summons had been a little more powerful, though.

Asides from Zeromus, who was great in cleaving off massive amounts of HP at the start of boss battles, I didn't use any of them. Which annoyed me, because getting to Ultima and Zodiark was a real pain, and Chaos absolutely trashed me multiple times before I got him...

after reading all of these posts, it could be said that the espers were put in as optional bosses and their addition to your party was just a novelty. heh.

I have to agree that the espers of this game are far from very useful. They're fun to summon against lesser enemies (such as pummeling a Giza Bunny with Cuchulainn ohoho) but outside of that, as for boss battles, I found myself rarely even considering summoning them. Aquiring them, however, was a great deal of fun! And their stories are interesting. As someone stated above, it would've been fun if they were used to unlock more of Ivalice history. (I don't think that was much of a spoiler?)

However, I don't think it really matters when it comes to whom you sign the espers. I was just being a little geeky and tried to match up character with espers based on how it fit.

Ashe - Belias (perhaps it would've gone to Balthier, since he was promised the Dynast King's treasure. But it was pretty clear that when they found Belias, he'd rather had himself some diamonds and trinkets instead, so I assigned Belias to Ashe; sort of her birthright after all.) Zeromus (Still giving Ashe the cryst shard whatever based Espers.) Ultima (Sort of..queen like? In my other playthrough she went with Fran though.)
Balthier - Famfrit (I guess he should keep SOMETHING after well...not going to spoil things for you who haven't got that far yet, but let's say; that guy.) Zalera (I couldn't imagine Penelo or Vaan summoning an angel of death. I guess I gave it to Balthier because Zalera had got himself a...damsel clutched tight, and Balthier having the reputation as a womanizer and all that, haha.)
Basch - Hashmal (A lion! Of epic proportions. Basch has some sort of mane like hair cut going on. Not of especially epic proportions, but I'm really just happy for that. For once a game where the characters haircuts are somewhat believable.) Chaos (What was left in Nabudis was Chaos. I thought it quite naturally would belong to Basch.) Cúchulainn (Being trapped in a cage down in a dungeon, Basch would now things about bad personal hygiene? I don't know what I did here.)
Fran - Shemhazai (Sagittarius. Fran was always my bow wielder. The end.) Exodus (In FFTA, Exodus is the totema of the Viera race. So I based it on tradition, and he is a sort of tree based Scion after all.)
Penelo - Mateus (Mateus looked so graceful to me, though more like..painful when I realized the woman in the design was rather a hostage damsel in distress, than the actual Esper. But grace goes with dance, and I think Penelo does some sort of dance in one of her quickenings. Fran however has some ice based quickenings so Mateus would probably suit ms. rabbit lady the better.)
Vaan - Adrammelech (For reasons unknown. I couldn't really imagine Vaan summoning ANYTHING. So I just gave him Adrammelech, because out of all the espers, it looked the least epic, at least to me. Boohoo and capricorn being my own zodiac and all. *one tear*)

I haven't aquired Zodiark yet. But I think that when I do, I'll give him to Ashe, probably. Ashe is the main character in my opinion. Closely followed by Basch and Balthier.

Espers were so disappointing. They seemed so pointless to me. I used them maybe 5 times total and they did nothing to help. They just stood there. Meh...

Anyway, I split them between Ashe and Penelo. The way I had my level up system was that they'd never be in the party at the same time. So I had them both have a few Espers on them in case we needed one, which we never did.

Not really, you can beat the entire game without relying on them. And in my opinion, they are more of a liability than an aid in battle.

Back