Espers? Does it matter?

x-fakesmile-x

Enigmatic Mako Deviant
Gil
I was just wondering if it REALLY mattered on who your espers are attached to...

Currently, I have.

1. Belias - Vaan
2. Mateus - Ashe

I was just wondering if they do better on different people or whatever...

Also, what are some of the combos YOU have come up with? ^^

Ashe has all of my Espers. I don't know why. Maybe it was because I was still stuck in "all summons on one character" mode from FF10 years earlier?

Ashe has all of my Espers. I don't know why. Maybe it was because I was still stuck in "all summons on one character" mode from FF10 years earlier?

Woah. Way to steal! ^^

I would feel that I'm leaving the others out if I did that... usually, It's Vaan that summons 'cause he just has too much Magick all the damn time. So I get rid of it by summoning espers. :D

Thanks for da reply though!

I have espers assigned to everyone, but I rarely use them. Only when I'm very, very bored. They're only there because it's traditional for summons in each game. Some of them are quite good, but like I said ... I find it boring to use them and rely on physical power instead.

x-fakesmile-x said:
I would feel that I'm leaving the others out if I did that... usually, It's Vaan that summons 'cause he just has too much Magick all the damn time. So I get rid of it by summoning espers.

Yeah, I don't know why I did that. I was trying to divide up all of the Magick evenly among my mages, and somehow Ashe ended up with Dark magick and nothing else. I thought, "Well, maybe she should get the Espers, too..."

I found Esper's pretty darn useless. Like Faith Crest, I only summoned them out of boredum
or if they had to be used to activate a scene... Belias...
. I don't think it really matters who you decide to assign your Espers to though I would try and make Combo's with them. Remember -- you can buff and heal your Espers! I would keep that in mind while assigning particular Espers.

I've gotten them all. I really only used Zodiark... and that was rare. I had my gambits set up so nicely that I could fall asleep during long battles such as Hell Wyrm and Yiazmat (and I most definitely DID fall asleep during both... >__>)

espers are there to aid you as anything else is. i would guess that their true purpose (at least, the espers you get from the story) are to provide a temp relief for your party members, or if you're saving your party up for the next area or whatever reason you would use the summon in place of them, kind of like a buffer. they're more of a tactical asset than anything else (square could have used them for better purposes, but i digress).

EDIT: and of course, probably their main use, to help out players who don't spend much time levelling.

Last edited:
I thought the Espers in the game were pretty weak, to be honest...especially in the wake of FF Ten's Aeons, which I almost consider the pinnacle of awesome summoning. :gasp:

I split my Espers up just for the hell of it, and I would summon them once as soon as I got them to give them a little "test run", so to speak. Also, I wanted to see their final, most powerful attacks. After that, they rusted on the shelves forever and ever.

I think you just start collecting Espers at a stage in the game where they don't really matter. They're never really strong enough to make much of an impact, unless you're fighting regular enemies somewhere. Ultima and Zodiark are strong enough, but by the time you get THEM, they're useless...and their abilities are near impossible to activate. -__-

I don't think it matters that much. I hardly use them, so I just have them assigned to people. They weren't that strong compared to my characters.

Honestly, the training it takes to get to the area the esper is hiding, and from defeating the esper, is worth more than the esper itself.

They look cool though, and I think it is really neat that they are based off the signs of the zodiak, but they really have no point in the game. I think they wanted to leave them out or something to begin with and then were like, "Oh wait, we have to have espers/aeons/guardian forces or else the fans will freak out." I mean think about it. They've been in every game. I think.

Anyways, I think if you are having trouble just level your characters more or something.

Honestly, the training it takes to get to the area the esper is hiding, and from defeating the esper, is worth more than the esper itself.

They look cool though, and I think it is really neat that they are based off the signs of the zodiak, but they really have no point in the game. I think they wanted to leave them out or something to begin with and then were like, "Oh wait, we have to have espers/aeons/guardian forces or else the fans will freak out." I mean think about it. They've been in every game. I think.

Anyways, I think if you are having trouble just level your characters more or something.

Agreed. They DO look cool, and the whole zodiark thing is kick-ass, but they're pretty useless. Except for the whole 'gaurd the useful parts of Dalmasca' thing. Exspecially Belias. He guards Giruvagen.

I don't use Espers....I wonder if it would help if I did. Well, I'm not really having any trouble right now, but I'm about to go into the Feywood and my friend says it's pretty hard, mainly because you can't really see anything. >> Regardless:

Belias- Basch
Mateus- Ashe

I almost got Adrammelech after accidentally stumbling upon him. Okay, this is funny. So I took on the quest to hunt Marilith, the serpent dwelling in the Zertinan Caverns. I had been there previously and nothing was wrong--fairly weak monsters and not much else. Well, when I go in this time to hunt the snake, I expected to get to Invitation of Heresy fairly quickly...but I was wrong. When I entered the caverns from the Osmone Plains (which was the entrance I had used earlier), I found that the caverns were filled with powerful monsters....of course I put them to shame. So, after fighting through all of them, I made it to this one area with a bunch of sand flying around and stuff. My map started to get static-y and was messing up bad. That was my first clue to get the hell out of there, but I didn't take it. I travelled farther inside only to find Adrammelech. I was scared, but I was also up for the challenge. I busted out the long-range weapons and magick to combat it, but the skeletons that kept popping up were not helping. Plus, I had no idea what was going on the entire battle. At one point, I unleashed a Quickening and it did a fair amount of damage, but after that, no one had MP. So, I switched in my reserve characters and decided to hold back the Quickening for later so I could get his HP lower just in case. Well, the time came and went and he was still alive. I got drastic. His HP was soooo low--I knew only one more Quickening was needed to slay him. I tossed an Ether towards Fran and figured I could use Mist Charges to fuel the others. I execute the Quickening--I know this is going to be it. The screen stops in preparation for the Quickening animation....so I thought. Instead of getting the Quickening animation, I get Adrammelech's Thundaja animation and he killed us. He was faster. I was soooo close....I think that's where I stopped the game last. That loss killed me on the inside, but I laugh about it nowadays. =3

Awww that sucks. I accidentally ran into him too, that freaked me out. I did manage to slay the beast though.

Honestly, I think I have only used one Esper once to see what the animation would look like, I haven't used them at any part in the game. Only for boosting MP for my mages.

I don't use Espers....I wonder if it would help if I did. Well, I'm not really having any trouble right now, but I'm about to go into the Feywood and my friend says it's pretty hard, mainly because you can't really see anything. >> Regardless:

Belias- Basch
Mateus- Ashe

I almost got Adrammelech after accidentally stumbling upon him. Okay, this is funny. So I took on the quest to hunt Marilith, the serpent dwelling in the Zertinan Caverns. I had been there previously and nothing was wrong--fairly weak monsters and not much else. Well, when I go in this time to hunt the snake, I expected to get to Invitation of Heresy fairly quickly...but I was wrong. When I entered the caverns from the Osmone Plains (which was the entrance I had used earlier), I found that the caverns were filled with powerful monsters....of course I put them to shame. So, after fighting through all of them, I made it to this one area with a bunch of sand flying around and stuff. My map started to get static-y and was messing up bad. That was my first clue to get the hell out of there, but I didn't take it. I travelled farther inside only to find Adrammelech. I was scared, but I was also up for the challenge. I busted out the long-range weapons and magick to combat it, but the skeletons that kept popping up were not helping. Plus, I had no idea what was going on the entire battle. At one point, I unleashed a Quickening and it did a fair amount of damage, but after that, no one had MP. So, I switched in my reserve characters and decided to hold back the Quickening for later so I could get his HP lower just in case. Well, the time came and went and he was still alive. I got drastic. His HP was soooo low--I knew only one more Quickening was needed to slay him. I tossed an Ether towards Fran and figured I could use Mist Charges to fuel the others. I execute the Quickening--I know this is going to be it. The screen stops in preparation for the Quickening animation....so I thought. Instead of getting the Quickening animation, I get Adrammelech's Thundaja animation and he killed us. He was faster. I was soooo close....I think that's where I stopped the game last. That loss killed me on the inside, but I laugh about it nowadays. =3
OH MAH GAWD. That sucks some major bum. Woah. I would've given up too.

But, you're right. It IS hilarious.

I thought you were going to say it froze! XD

Awww that sucks. I accidentally ran into him too, that freaked me out. I did manage to slay the beast though.

Honestly, I think I have only used one Esper once to see what the animation would look like, I haven't used them at any part in the game. Only for boosting MP for my mages.
Your people have jobs?

Well... i guess mine KINDA do. Fran is my black magick, ashe is mah white, vaans the strict attacker.

they all use swords and shit. not literal though. thats illegal in the land of dalmasca.

Please do not double post. Use the editing feature if you feel you must post again.
~Kikyou

Last edited by a moderator:
Your people have jobs?

Well... i guess mine KINDA do. Fran is my black magick, ashe is mah white, vaans the strict attacker.

they all use swords and shit. not literal though. thats illegal in the land of dalmasca.

Well Ashe and Fran were my white mages and used white, green and arcana magick, Penelo was my black mage and used black and time magick :)

Well Ashe and Fran were my white mages and used white, green and arcana magick, Penelo was my black mage and used black and time magick :)

ah, i see. cool beans.

i never did like penelo... i think it's because shes missing the -pe at the end of her name. XD

Hahaha xD

She is a VERY powerful black mage though. She was one of my strongest characters and I couldn't do without her against flying enemies. So yeah, I basically divided the espers among those who needed a lot of mp.

I don't think it did, i never reall stuck to giving espers to certain people, i just gave the person who was closest to the Esper's license the esper, but that was mainly before i completed the license board with all of my characters.

there was a single play through when i gave all the espers to one character but that failed miserably in the later hours when i would use one esper and have no Mp left to summon the others afterwards

Hahaha xD

She is a VERY powerful black mage though. She was one of my strongest characters and I couldn't do without her against flying enemies. So yeah, I basically divided the espers among those who needed a lot of mp.

See? ALL of my characters use black, white, green, arcane, and time magicks. they also all have the techniks. thats only because i purposly run around collecting license points though. XD

so i guess all of my mains are master class. :)

I don't think it did, i never reall stuck to giving espers to certain people, i just gave the person who was closest to the Esper's license the esper, but that was mainly before i completed the license board with all of my characters.

there was a single play through when i gave all the espers to one character but that failed miserably in the later hours when i would use one esper and have no Mp left to summon the others afterwards

wow. that IS a bad side. huh.

well, ALL of my characters are pretty much complete, so it's REALLY tough to decide where they SHOULD go. there obviously IS a system to them... but what IS it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I only use them when i really have to, i beat most of the bosses without them. The only one i ever had trouble with was Vayne, but i didn't get them all because i got tired of the game. Its too ongoing, and that bored me.

I don't like the fact that only a few FF people were working on it, had the whole team worked on 12 i think it would've turned out better.

Back