Does it bother you?

Catnip

Auto-Haste
Veteran
Gil
Sometimes, I feel like I'm the only person out of everyone I know who actually knows the difference between someone being homophobic or anti-homosexual.

Am I the only one bothered when I read things like this?:
"I hate homophobes. [Insert bashing sentence here]"

People with homophobia can still not have any problem with homosexual and bisexual people. I'm slight homophobic and most of my closest and best friends are attracted to the same sex. I have no problem with homosexuality because I'm not anti-homosexual.

Homophobia shouldn't be confused with Anti-homosexual.

A homophobe is someone with an irrational fear or hatred of homosexuals.
It's a form of discrimination like Xenaphobia, racism or sexism.
You can water it down by saying that a you aren't anti-homosexuals. Nevertheless you are still discriminating against them. So to answer the question, no it doesn't bother me at all.

Nope. Sometimes people have reasons on why they act certain ways and it could of been in a bad experience in the past. But don't want to force people to change or behave in a certain way. If somebody feels awkward or uncomfortable around Gays.
Then not going to mind.

But if somebody shouts out a insult towards them like " Those stupid Fags, go die ".
Then going to start to mind and care really quickly. Because it's a insult. It's mean.
It's terrible. It's no different from bullying.

But yeah hang around with alot of people who dislike the whole idea of Bis and people who are attracted to their same gender. But also hang around with alot of Bis and don't really mind either way.

But those people who go around beating them up and shouting terrible things to them. Then going to be angry. After all we are all human no matter what sexuality we have. ^_^

I'm the one who feels a little uncomfortable, but I can force myself to get over it for a small while because they are human after all. I don't like how my mind and body feels that they're different, but I can't control it all the time. But, I would never insult them because they're gay. I rarely ever insult people period.

I'm the one who feels a little uncomfortable, but I can force myself to get over it for a small while because they are human after all. I don't like how my mind and body feels that they're different, but I can't control it all the time. But, I would never insult them because they're gay. I rarely ever insult people period.

you never insult people? you're a funny one -patpat- :gasp:

I always thought someone who was against homosexuals was a homophobe, as if that particular phobia was a choice. I suppose I was wrong >_>;

And Hal, how is homophobia/xenophobia the same as racism or sexism?

Yeah. That's good news. To be truthful used to feel Homophobic in the past.
Got beaten up by a Gay male at High School and then later on that same year got teased online/ online bullied by one. And just couldn't stand them.

But last year started to get over the dislike and the fear and realize that they are not all so bad. It's a Egg in a box of cartons. One is bad. But the rest may not be.

But yeah. Used to be the same. Used to feel really uncomfortable and Homophobic.
Can't say that know how you feel. But kind of might know a familiar feeling.

I always thought someone who was against homosexuals was a homophobe, as if that particular phobia was a choice. I suppose I was wrong >_>;

Everyone insults. Even if it's not intentional. I'm just rare when it comes to it, because I know how much it sucks to receive an insult. That's where sarcasm steps in :)

Yeah. That's good news. To be truthful used to feel Homophobic in the past.
Got beaten up by a Gay male at High School and then later on that same year got teased online/ online bullied by one. And just couldn't stand them.

But last year started to get over the dislike and the fear and realize that they are not all so bad. It's a Egg in a box of cartons. One is bad. But the rest may not be.

But yeah. Used to be the same. Used to feel really uncomfortable and Homophobic.
Can't say that know how you feel. But kind of might know a familiar feeling.
I like that. Egg in a box of cartons.. it's such a perfect description. I wouldn't go so far to say that I have an actual phobia toward homosexuals, but yeah, I feel a bit uncomfortable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Because it's a form of discrimination, disliking (I use disliking because very few homophobes are actually scared of gay people) somebody because of their sexual oreintation is the same as disliking somebody because they are black, german a woman, old etc. So because of that, I couldn't care less that they get offended, which may make me a bit of a hypocrite, but I think there's a difference between disliking someone because of their views as opposed to disliking someone because of something like skin colour or sexual oreintation.

Homophobia is defined not only as the fear of homosexuals/homosexuality, and actions based on that fear, but also as antipathy toward or discrimination against homosexuals. Thus, the concepts of homophobia and anti-homosexuality are inclusive.

Frankly, I don't care what you think. This isn't Communist China. As long as you don't legislate against the rights of homosexuals, whatever your little neurons want to fire up, go for it. What you say, on the other hand, you must be responsible for. There is no such thing as freedom of speech in the public sector.

Homo-Phobia - Diagnosed as Fear of homosexuality. You could have a slight form of it, or you can have an irrational form of it. Its only a psychological disorder given another name. Psychology usually just gives categorizations as it is, so this to me is just a categorization.

Anti-Homosexual - Completely Against. Hate.

Well I believe there is a firm difference between the two. People who use the word freely are generally trying to make someone feel like utter shiznit, for having a small fear of 2 men or 2 women getting together. I typically don't have a problem with either but I know there was a time in my life where I wondered why homosexuality existed. I mean it dated back to at least to the Roman/Latin era, but the idea is what blew my little mind. That is just being honest, I know everyone who is hetrosexual wondered about it. I mean some are still convinced that it is a gene or a psychological disorder carried along. I've heard of homosexuals getting shock therapy to cure their urges.. sad.. sad. I mean don't get me wrong, I still feel a bit odd when my friend R. D. says something about his sex life. I mean I don't exactly go around spirting my shiznit in front of him, because he would be bored to heck as well. I mean I love him as a person, great friend and great character, but I never categorize him for his sexual preference. Its his life, it doesn't make him as a person.

Along those same lines there are those that hate. Well I mentioned about the gene and stuff, some are trying to isolate this "gene" if there even is such one, and purge it completely. I don't agree with this really. It sounds like another human trying to play god.

The only thing I can personally say though is. I have quite a few gay friends (odd living down here in oxford), but I never would hate or fear them, they are excellent people. Now honestly my brain will do something odd. Personally I hate when guys whine or talk behind other peoples back about the he said, she said.. No offense women but I hear it all the time from ya'll. "Oh she looks like a slut" "Oh she looks terrible, did she even look in the mirror this morning" "She's a backstabing little bitch" - I can only take so much. I just don't care about other people, and my guy friends are the very exact same way. We don't backstab one another, we've all been through the head games before. So when I hear one of my gay friends constantly criticize another guy or girl for what she is wearing, I get that same feeling as if I was around my own girl. So I hate hearing the "gossip" "he said, she said" "drama per se". Don't get me wrong, I am not putting a label on all gays, since I know my buddy C. B. never really talks shiznit, but definitely likes his fella. I respect that, when someone can love what he has in front of him and nothing more. Hince the reason why sometimes I can say women can be so heartless to one another.

Last edited:
Personally I think homophobia is just a euphemism for anti-homosexualness. If I was to say I was afraid of a particular ethnic minority, I would probably be labelled as racist, the same thing applies to homosexuality. Being afraid of someone because of there sexual orientation is a form of prejudice plain and simple.

As far as the whole uncomfortableness thing goes, it generally annoys me when someone won't shut up about their sexual exploits. But that goes for both straight people and homosexuals. I suppose it is somewhat justifiable if a person feels a certain awkwardness around a homosexual person who is attracted to them. As in the same sort of awkwardness someone could feel if a member of the opposite sex had feelings for them which were not mutual.

But to answer the original question, no it doesn't bother me, because to be afraid of someone just because of their sexual preferences is prejudice, therefore (as Hal said) the same thing as racism, sexism etc...

to answer the prompt, I am not afraid of homosexuals. I embrace them just as much as any other human being, perhaps even more because most of the homosexuals I have met are nicer than any heterosexual I have met.

second, I've never taken homophobia and anti-homosexualness as being akin to each other. a homophobe, in my eyes, is someone who "fears" homosexuals but does not necessarily hate them or aim to bash them. it depends on the context in which it is taken. anti-homosexuals, on the other hand, express extreme distaste and dislike towards homosexuals and ADVERTENTLY aim to bash them and deprive them of rights.

a simple fear is different from actions and actually doing.. though fear can escalate into such.

I think I understand what the OP means.. Like, there are some people who are against homosexuality and think it's disgusting etc etc, and they would be classed as 'anti-homosexual'. And then there are people who aren't against homosexuals or the concept of homosexuality, but being around them makes them feel uncomfortable because they're slightly homophobic or something. But I think people today just use both of the terms to mean the same thing, somebody who is against homosexuality.

Personally I think homophobia is just a euphemism for anti-homosexualness. If I was to say I was afraid of a particular ethnic minority, I would probably be labelled as racist, the same thing applies to homosexuality. Being afraid of someone because of there sexual orientation is a form of prejudice plain and simple.

I kind of agree. Homophobes may not necessarily hate gays, but they're still uncomfortable around them or afraid of them, and that's usually because of some underlying prejudice. Could be because they just can't wrap their heads around how two people of the same sex can love each other, could be a passive-aggressive approach (i.e. "well I think it's wrong but if they want to do it, it's their business), or they're just plain unwilling to accept gays as a normal facet of society.

It's not as bad just outright hating and bashing gays, but saying you're just "homophobic" instead of "anti-homosexual" is just a nice little way of making yourself sound less prejudice. "I don't hate gays, I'm just scared of them." There's still no good reason for either.

I suppose it is somewhat justifiable if a person feels a certain awkwardness around a homosexual person who is attracted to them. As in the same sort of awkwardness someone could feel if a member of the opposite sex had feelings for them which were not mutual.
If it's the same sort of awkwardness when someone of the opposite sex likes you, then it's understandable. But if someone is uncomfortable with someone of the same sex liking them...there's really no logical for it to be any more uncomfortable than normal. Actually in both cases there's really no reason to feel awkward, unless the person who likes you happens to be really weird or creepy, or someone you just broke up with xD

Now as for OP's question of "does it bother you"...um...does what bother me? That question needs to be clarified -__-

I kind of agree. Homophobes may not necessarily hate gays, but they're still uncomfortable around them or afraid of them, and that's usually because of some underlying prejudice. Could be because they just can't wrap their heads around how two people of the same sex can love each other, could be a passive-aggressive approach (i.e. "well I think it's wrong but if they want to do it, it's their business), or they're just plain unwilling to accept gays as a normal facet of society.

the only comment I have to make is on this. I will admit, although I am openly supportive of gays, did my research paper on homosexual marriage and how it should be allowed, and sometimes will put up snippets of my anger in my AIM buddy information when anti-homosexuals enrage me.. but I am still uncomfortable seeing homosexuals on television kissing or being out in public showing affection and the like. I am a little uncomfortable around them, and if this is due to some underlying prejudice of mine, then I am so sorry to homosexuals.. but it really is also due to the fact that our society has not embraced them enough in public that it affects us as well.

I don't know about other people, but I've maybe seen a gay couple in public maybe twice. maybe it's because of where I live, but I've not been "exposed" to them enough to feel 100% comfortable, even though I am.

but of course, it's not taken to the extreme where I fear them.. but to those who are "homophobes" and are just uncomfortable around homosexuals, it's reasonable.

I think I understand what the OP means.. Like, there are some people who are against homosexuality and think it's disgusting etc etc, and they would be classed as 'anti-homosexual'. And then there are people who aren't against homosexuals or the concept of homosexuality, but being around them makes them feel uncomfortable because they're slightly homophobic or something. But I think people today just use both of the terms to mean the same thing, somebody who is against homosexuality.
That's exactly what I mean.
I think when people mix up the two (homophobia vs anti-homosexual) bothers me because of when I was bashed for being, I guess, "slight" homophobic. I mean, I'm uncomfortable around them and it's hard to control. I got bashed for the way I feel because the other person thought I meant I was anti-homosexual. I mean sure, he made an ass out of himself once he finally let me explain, but I don't want to ever come across that again.

To be honest, I have no problems with homosexuals at all. I have a lot of relatives who are gay or lesbian, and they're such sweet people. I could never hate them for being who they are. If someone insults them for it, I immediately go on a rampage. In fact, I get into fights because of this. But if it means sticking up for friends and family, then I don't mind getting kicked around a bit. Don't get me wrong, though. If someone is uncomfortable with homosexuals and they tell me, I won't hit them just for saying that. It's insults I have a problem with. You don't immediately reject someone or make them feel bad just because they're gay. It's wrong. They're people, just like everyone else. I mean, come on, if you had a best friend you hung out with for years, and they all of a sudden told you they were gay, would you throw away years of friendship because you're homophobic? Or would you stay with them and say it's okay, and that you don't mind? I can't answer for everyone here, because it's all up to the individual, but letting a friendship burn out because of that one confession just isn't worth it. Hope I'm making some sense here. Don't want to sound like an idiot.

Last edited:
Back