NT Dissidia Final Fantasy NT - Closed Beta Test (Some thoughts)

Glori4n

Gil
As the title says.

I received the code and got to experience the game beforehand.
Overall it is good, it just need some more polishing I would think. The HUD really needs less information, there where times where it just got in the way, also, that "Dissidia" vibe I used to get when playing the PSP version seems to be gone... There's just so much on the screen it doesn't really feel like dissidia, hope some stuff gets addressed, FPS drops were quite recurrent as well.

Here's some gameplay and thoughts footage I made.

What are your toughts on it?

Not sure if this is perhaps down to "limited content" being released for the beta test, or if it is something Square Enix are going for, but there seems to be a woeful lack of diversity between aerial and ground moves. Is there an option to customise your move-set as was the case in the previous Dissidia games? Furthermore, I didn't see evidence of aerial recovery or, for that matter, can I recall any aerial dodging. The mechanics for the movement and move-set seem very bare bones right now from what I could see of that demo. Considering the release date though, it would be uncertain if that much of a change could take place whilst avoiding a similar scenario to Final Fantasy XV.

[Thread moved to Dissidia: Final Fantasy Section]

I'm really enjoying this game. I just want them to add Auron, Gabranth, Wakka and Lu Lu in the Dissidia PS4

Auron is a MOST

I bought the game, but only because I can't not buy something that has HD Sephiroth in it, and also because I had £20 worth of reward points saved up over the past 7 years. I played the open beta and holy hell is the game a salt mine, with the 3v3 format even more so. When playing 1v1 you could at least say "okay, the other person was better than me", but with 3v3 you can be mobbed by the enemy team and unless your team has perfect situational awareness or you're on voice comms, you have no chance.

If everyone fights 1v1, then breaking off to help a teammate is going to be next to impossible because either you won't arrive in time to make a difference, or you're going to get caught by whoever you were fighting while running towards your team.

In short, either you win in 5 seconds because you crush the enemy team 3v1 one by one, or you get crushed the same way - that was the vast majority of the way my open beta battles ended. There is absolutely no way this game is worth £60 unless £60 is nothing to you, and the team-focused gameplay is the reason.

Of course, this post mostly doesn't apply to you if you're consistently playing with two mates on voice chat so you can coordinate.

I haven't bought the game yet but am curious about something. I've seen that there isn't a story mode for each character as there was in previous games. So what different types of gameplay modes are there?

I do kind of miss the story mode - I enjoyed having a bit of a storyline for each which also helped levelling up.

(Although now that I think about it, the 3v3 format is probably not the best for it)

I haven't bought the game yet but am curious about something. I've seen that there isn't a story mode for each character as there was in previous games. So what different types of gameplay modes are there?
Online (Ranked: Solo, Ranked: Party, Custom) and Offline (Trial: Basic - Standard Battle, Trial: Basic - Core Attack).

And that's it.

Yeah.

The only way you can unlock the story (which is 100% non-interactive cutscenes) is to level up your characters and/or account, which grants you Memoria, which is a token needed to unlock a cutscene. You also have lootboxes which you get semi-randomly (and also when you level up a character) which contains 3 random items (garment skins, weapon skins, voice lines, icons, titles - and yes, duplicates are possible, because of course they are). You can't buy these lootboxes with real money (yet...), so at least this game hasn't gone full Battlefront II.

To elaborate on the Trial: Basic system, you fight 6 battles in succession using your chosen character (you cannot change your character nor can you quit this mode short of force closing the game from your PS4, for some bizarre reason...) and you get a small selection of stage/enemy/difficulty combinations. The same game mode, six times in a row. Your score gets tallied and you unlock bonus rewards if you meet certain thresholds.

I have no incentive to keep playing the game after playing it once, since you don't gain any power by levelling up, and since the 3v3 style doesn't appeal to me, it gets a solid meh/10 from me.

Thanks for the details! Kind of a shame they don't have more modes of gameplay just to add a bit more variety to it. I don't play as much online so it doesn't leave much for me to do.

I have no incentive to keep playing the game after playing it once, since you don't gain any power by levelling up, and since the 3v3 style doesn't appeal to me, it gets a solid meh/10 from me.

So if levelling up doesn't make you stronger does that mean you get all your moves from the start? Can you customize your characters like in the previous games?

I might hold off on getting this so soon since it's still quite expensive.... though I say that now but will probably cave anyway :P (Hard to resist those HD graphics!)

The more I read and hear about this game, the more I think that it really needed/needs a story scenario- not cut-scenes, an actual playable scenario. The core strength that Square Enix had and would have had with this game is a half-decent plotline and story mode(coming from the POV of a casual). I never wanted to play Dissidia against other players- it was the weird RPG/Fighter fusion that drew me to the game. I don't know if this makes me an outlier. I know this is an arcade game and was most likely moved to PS4 to allow players to practice at home, and let it grow into an eSports fighter, but I thought it might have had a bit of an appeal to the casual loser like me! Perhaps I expected too much.

• It honestly looks like it's not as strong a fighter like, for example, Tekken to live off of its fighting system alone.
  • the descriptions of attacks and moves is, apparently, not all that good. Kinda hard to play when the game won't explain how.
  • Even if it was strong, the lack of a story mode is bad- Street Fighter V got slammed for not having a decent story mode - and that's a dedicated fighter.
  • If you want the movie/story, all you would have to do is go look up a Youtube video which links them all together. Guess it cuts the chaff out for eSport-ish players.
  • It looks really pretty- it shouldn't really affect my perception, but it does. I really enjoy pretty looking arenas and such.

I was pretty hyped for this game... but now I'm not really feeling it. Maybe it's because I bought Dragonball FighterZ and that's tiding me over...

I give this a firm "Buy when on sale"/10.

Ok So I played it at my friends for a bit, didn't get too much into it, but as far as the battles go it is ok, There doesn't seem to be any over powered characters or anything, and it seems kinda fun for what it is, but I would really wait for a while, I wouldn't pay full price for this game considering there will be a lot of DLC for it I am sure

So if levelling up doesn't make you stronger does that mean you get all your moves from the start?
No, but the attacks you get / EX skills you get aren't necessarily stronger. For Sephiroth, you start with Scintilla (which has been buffed since 012 and will actually home in on the person you're fighting instead of requiring a perfect block to be usable). I tried Heartless Angel (the second HP attack you get) but found it difficult to use. I've not unlocked any more yet.

What I mean is, you don't gain HP and your attacks don't deal more damage the higher your character or player level is.

Can you customize your characters like in the previous games?
Outfit / weapon / moveset, and movesets don't have to be mastered like in 012.

Was the assist system removed from this version?

Indeed it has been. But yeah, there's two other people fighting with you so it's a bit redundant to be fair. :D

Side note: Kind of weirded out that this is the only thread for Dissidia NT discussion. How odd...

Back