Coronavirus. How is it affecting you?

Duhemsounds

Music Wolf
Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
Hope you will all be safe

800 deaths in a single day in Italy :(
Their situation is terrible, in France people are keeping acting like 'it's a normal week-end' despite confinement. We may end like in Italy. Some regions are already at the red line and multiple military procedures have been activated to add a few reanimation spots but the biggest part of the epidemic is still in front of us.

Germany has taken a lot of time before starting confinement. US and UK are also going bad. Looks like it will be worse than expected in many countries :(

cinvowell

Ex-Soldier
Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
FFXIV
Tristan
The state Governor here has ordered a lockdown of the whole state. We're allowed to go out for groceries a couple times a week or for medical reasons. Some of the doctors are doing their appointments over the phone instead of in the office. Schools are shut down til mid April but I don't see them opening up until next school year. My friend will be keeping her son home for the rest of the school year even if they open back up. City hall in my city has shut down completely. They have a notice on their web site that everything will be done on line using designated web sites for deifferent departments. Web sites that are shut down and non fuctional. All businesses are ordered closed except grocery stores, mail, medical. The major grocery chains that were 24 hour are open from 7 am til 10. A lot of shelves are empty but not as much now as you would expect. Most meat and eggs are sold out except for the big slabs of ribs, some pork and ham and steaks are plentiful. I think the stores are doubling their prices or at least raising them. I was actually surprised the things that were still available. Lot of fresh fruit and veggies, bread, milk, cheese, lunch meat, fish, some butter but not a lot and the only frozen stuff that was picked over was junk food. Their are limits on certain items.

It's ironic that the pick up and delivery options show available even if they show no available times but the shipping option is unavailable across the board when that would be the best option to offer customers. I had to switch cat food because only one chain (Kroger) carries the Abound that they are used to. I would have gladly paid shipping cost to have a standing order shipped to my house even after the crisis is over. I heard a report that all mail that requires a signature will be dropped of without any signature or verification until further notice.

I think if people had used some common sense things would be going smoother. People are acting like food and supplies will never be made again. Farmers will still run their farms, still need to sell their products for one. We have a local dairy farm that does deliveries and they are good with milk products as far as not running out and the other products that they carry they can get more often than not. It cost a little more for milk and stuff but half the year I order from them anyway because the quality is so much better than in the big chains. If people can just keep their head on straight they'll find there are ways to make things work in this bad situation.

On a humorous note, before the lockdown in Detroit the police stopped a guy from trying to sell toilet paper on the street for $50 a roll when it was still on the shelves.

Shu

Spiral out, Keep going..
Veteran
Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
FFXIV
Shu
FFXIV Server
Lamia
I guess I can update you here. Despite the US almost having 100,000 deaths and over 1.5 million cases, the states are opening up again. I live in TN and right now pretty much all restaurants are opened back up at full capacity. For my family, we are still committed to staying at home. I have a pretty good job with decent benefits from a work from home job. My wife's job is the hair industry, so we are sort of trying to figure all that out right now. I have mentioned that it might be a good idea to temporarily quit during her pregnancy (Oct 26).

Other than that we've had a lot of out door time. We've done a lot of hikes around the TN area. I'm mostly running outside every 2-3 days depending on the weather. I play WoW Classic on Tuesdays and Thursdays for raid night specifically.

We stick to local parks, but not indoor stuff.

Madonna

Blue is the color of the planet from the view abov
Veteran
Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
I haven't yet had anything happen to me personally yet thankfully outside of working from home for two months now.

The states are reopening but I haven't heard anything from my employer about actually returning to work. I'm not really scared for myself but I'm taking care of my parents and they are high risk so I suppose we will see.

Dionysos

Βρεκεκεκὲξ κοὰξ κοάξ
Staff member
Administrator
Veteran
Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
FFXIV
Polyphemos Bromios
FFXIV Server
Lamia
I'm still unsure when work will be opening up again. Things aren't looking great but it'll be a very different world for sure.

I've been hit with a sense of cabin fever in recent days and I went a little insane. I've started going out more regularly for walks in my local area, but I do refuse to go too far afield like some 'covidiots' who aren't adhering to social distancing while they crowd in parks and on beaches. I'm fine with those who are going out so long as they are careful and avoid people. But some aren't. If we leave it up to common sense then humanity falls flat sometimes.
We're now allowed 'unlimited travel' despite still being in a lighter lockdown, but with so many mixed messages people appear to have taken advantage of that.

A few of my more distant family members (my mom's uncle and aunt) have both caught the virus in care homes. The situation in care homes is particularly bad here.
My sister is in an uncomfortable situation where she has to now decide whether she should let her five year old go back to school in June. She's thinking no. The father of another child at the school is only 37 and is fighting for his life in intensive care from the virus, and she knows through being a teacher herself that it is difficult to keep children who are that young apart from each other.

But I'm okay myself. Aside from madness. :updown:

• Wow
Reactions: Six