Can you guess the next Kingdom Hearts game?!

Dionysos

Βρεκεκεκὲξ κοὰξ κοάξ
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Veteran
Gil
Shiva Snowflake
Carlos el Cactuar
Chocobo Egg
Accessory (Arms)
Build-A-Member
Accessory (Head)
FFXIV
Polyphemos Bromios
FFXIV Server
Moogle
Free Company
KupoCon
Square Enix have challenged us to 'guess' the next Kingdom Hearts project.

It very much reminds me of this Father Ted scene:

We have until January 28th to make our guesses, so I figured that if anyone wants to guess then I can put some of your guesses out there using the FFF Twitter account if anyone really wants us to (max one per day, not that we'll put out that many, right?).

Any guesses?

I'm putting my money on Kingdom Hearts III.1 1/5 First of Final Beginnings. That or Kingdom Hearts: The Dawn of Sunset.
I'll probably not tweet those ones though... :argor:

In typical Kingdom Hearts fashion you'd expect it be something you would never guess in a million years, i.e., 358/2 Days & Coded, but I do think in this case it will actually be something logical. Not necessarily obvious and predictable, but logical.

I think Project Xehanort might eventually tie in with Union X. Square-Enix have teased an image today of Young Xehanort and Young Eraqus with four blurred characters: potentially Young Yen Sid or even possibly four of the new union leaders: Ventus, Lauriam (Maluxia), Ephemer & Skuld) - no matter who is revealed, given that Union X has been going for 4/5 years now, I can't see it expanding on Xehanort or Eraqus, so it wouldn't surprise me if Union X had one last major story update then stopped storyline updates with their introduction and Project Xehanort picks it up from there.

EO4kr3LU4AEn5Np

Title guessing is hard given that Project Xehanort origins could potentially cover a lot of ground - [ReMind Spolier] I think Project Xehanort could reveal what the Master of Masters said to Young Xehanort (which was deliberately blanked out in the ReMind DLC) 75 years before Kingdom Hearts 3 and before he turned evil so subsequently, the title could focus around that.[/ReMind Spolier]

I could also see it being something quite prevalent in the series already:

Kingdom Hearts: Deep Dive (KH secret ending - first introduction to Organisation XIII)
Kingdom Hearts: Origin X
Kingdom Hearts: Another X
(anagram of Xehanort)
Kingdom Hearts: Destiny X (grew up on Destiny Islands)
Kingdom Hearts: ad Caelum (trained as keyblade wielder at Scala ad Caelum)
Kingdom Hearts: Day Break (Scala ad Caelum's previous identity, Daybreak Town - main setting for Union X)
Kingdom Hearts: Versus XIII (based on ReMind DLC... just 'cos.)

Also...

Inb4 Nomura announces a completely bonkers title: Kingdom Hearts: 365/75 Years.

Last edited:
Today is the last day for guesses if anyone else wanted to tweet at them.

I have tweeted Kingdom Hearts: Day Break at them today using the FFF account. Since this was a suggestion by Nerolexis, in the unlikely event that they contact us and declare us the winners then I'll PM you and we can pass them on to you if you like! I have no idea what they are offering for prizes or anything.

No where near any suggestions I thought it might have been, but, I'm taking a moral victory that I did predict it would be something logical but not obvious! :tearjoy:

There's a scene at the end of Re: Chain of Memories in which Riku has to choose which road to take, so Dark Road does make some sense at least.

No where near any suggestions I thought it might have been, but, I'm taking a moral victory that I did predict it would be something logical but not obvious! :tearjoy:

There's a scene at the end of Re: Chain of Memories in which Riku has to choose which road to take, so Dark Road does make some sense at least.

Ha ha. :D I wonder if anybody actually guessed that exact title. They say that some people have 'won' so I guess some were close.

You were by far the closest amongst the people I know. You can savour that moral victory!

The logo was revealed today...

9rn-FN8de-Q.png

I find the logo above a logo thing to be really distracting. I read KingdcUnionHearts X Dark Road. The logo itself and the colour scheme is awesome, but I just wish the Union X Dark Road part could nudge down a few paces.

I enjoy Kingdom Hearts but can't stand how they tied canon narrative content to Union Cross - I would have been able to forgive it if the movie they made actually covered more than 10% of what actually happened! But Union Cross is just far to segregated from the rest of the series that it just doesn't work. I've played all the main line titles and spin offs yet still I am punished for not splashing money into their mobile games. The KH series has already been a nightmare to play with games on every portable console you can imagine, the PS4 Remasters were meant to fix this issue by making the whole series accessible in one place. This continuation really does bring me to question my interest in continuing the series, a I feel it's too much of a chore to invest in.

Not particularly a fan of the logo either, but I think it has fallen victim of indecision in Dark Road's marketing on Square Enix's part. They're marketing Dark Road as a standalone game through the Union X app (which is fine, given they're using the same assets), but Square Enix themselves have referred to Dark Road as 'Kingdom Hearts Ux Dark Road' and combined with the logo, Dark Road comes across VERY much a part of Union X.

I don't mind Union X being canon as long as it is tied into the Kingdom Hearts franchise as a whole, rather than part of the Xehanort Saga; I'd actually be surprised if they didn't end up making the Master of Masters / black box / worldlines / Foretellers a big story point - whilst there are certainly references throughout Kingdom Hearts to the Foretellers era, there is no way Dark Road can bridge the gap as a mobile title. However, if the new Kingdom Hearts saga abandons the Foretellers storyline, then I completely agree, Kingdom Hearts Union X would be a really poor canon.

So is this to be a mobile game then? Not a console one? I'm so out of the loop now.

I haven't played Union X so I'd be lost with all of that anyway unless they explain it in a lore dump like they did with Kingdom Hearts 3.... I actually found that extremely useful.

Hopefully int he coming months they will be transparent with what this is and how it goes together.

Union X is generally a weird game in the Kingdom Hearts franchise.

I know Kingdom Hearts games to bring up more questions than answers, but you could quite easily not play Union X and it wouldn't make much of a difference, barring some of ReMind and and KH3 epilogue - which in itself doesn't make much sense bringing out the Foretellers unless it's a hint towards the next Kingdom Hearts saga. If Union X didn't have Ventus, Marluxia and Larxene in it, you'd be forgiven for thinking it had nothing to do with the other Kingdom Hearts games.

Admittedly, I am slightly disappointed that Dark Road became a mobile game. It probably could have worked well as a Birth By Sleep-esque game, with Xehanort, Eraqus and Yen Sid, even if it meant being on the Switch.

I wouldn't be overly surprised if there ended up being a Back Cover type movie for Dark Road eventually.

I'd hate to fall behind with the lore again if it'll impact the main games on console, so I might end up having to Google the stories for these mobile games at some point. I'll have to read all the Wiki pages and watch a few videos on YouTube (if there will even be footage of the mobile games on there).

I was already aware that the original identities of people like Marluxia were revealed in Union X, so if they're going even deeper into that stuff now then I guess it might become even more important.

The Kingdom Hearts franchise is great, but it is a bit of a mess to keep up with. I'm someone who only ever played the numbered titles (KH1, KH2 and KH3) so I always find that I have a lot of work to do to keep up with things. That said, I guess we're extremely unlikely to get a new Kingdom Hearts game on console anytime soon.

Back