Books and You

What kinds of books do you usually read?
(Your favorite genre, themes, and settings?)

Seems to be non-fiction now. Usually stuff related to philosophy, math, maybe some satire or comedy, and secularism.

How do you decide which books to read?
(Do you read the description on the back cover? Thumb through the pages? Do you simply pick the book with the coolest cover picture?)

I read the descriptions.

What are your favorite books of all time?
(How did you come across your favorite book/s? Why are they your favorites?)

The Age of Reason, Dr. Tatiana's Sex Advice For All Creation, The Devil's Teardrop, and I would probably say Disquisitiones Arithemticae--if I could find the original Latin one it was first published in.

Who are your favorite authors?
(What genre do they typically write? What's their writing style like?)

Robert Ingersoll (religion/secularism), Thomas Paine (religion/secularism)

Have you ever reread a book?
(Which one? Why?)

Dr. Tatiana's Sex Advice for All Creation--it was amusing and informative.

What's the one book you've been dying to find?
(Don't mention a book that you know already exists. Give a description of your ideal book, including all of your favorite aspects about reading. Maybe someone will help you find it in this thread!)

Well, I've got several. I like some on philosophy and religion, although I'm particularly fond of the secular ones, but I also would like to read works on mathematics in Latin--there are several of those, but I've just never been able to get my hands on them, and there might be a few more of them I'm not aware of.

I don't think I have a set genre of books that I read, but if I go into a bookstore I head over to fiction. I don't really like non-fiction reading in my free time, I'd much rather have a good story to entertain me.

I've read a few horror books and they're just not for me. I'd much rather read about something realistic and/or something that incorporates controversial issues.

I usually read the description on the back, and if that hasn't convinced me to read it, then I'll read a random page out of the book (usually in the beginning or middle).

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Easily one of the greatest books I've read. Even if it's your average teenage book, it has a lot of truth in it- and lots of things you can probably relate to- so it makes it really fun to read. It actually brings out an array of emotions as well.

The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult

Actually to be honest I don't remember much of this. I read it quite some time ago and yet I remember that I really loved this book.

The Tenth Circle is about a 14-year-old girl who is raped by her boyfriend, and the father whose identity as a good man will be shaken in his desire to protect and avenge his daughter.

Jodi Picoult. I haven't come across a single book written by her that I haven't been interested in so far. She generally writes fiction, and in most of her books she writes about parenthood and the controversial issues related to it.

The only one I can think of is The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I never re-read books. Ever. This one was just that good that I wanted to go back and re-read it.

I don't think I'm really looking for anything that I haven't found. I still have a bunch of books waiting to be read, and they seem like they're exactly what I'm looking for.

I usually books about games and cars, and fantasy books. I also read manga, but I'm very picky about it.
The title and cover of a book is what catches my attention the most, but I also read the back description and a few pages from the book.
I don't remember the exact name of the book, but it is a book about Ferrari, my favorite car company. I also love the Digimon series books.
I never even bother to look at the authors of the books I read. I only care about the content on the inside.
I have read countless books more than once. I usually realize things that I did not find out the first time, which makes my understanding of the book clearer.
A book about how amazing I am(just joking). There really is no book that I am particually seeking.

My fave is catcher in the rye by jd salinger. i love the main character holden caughfiled. i never regret buying that book way way way back.

I usually read classical, mystery, biographies, and metafiction.

I usually pick a book with regards to the author, or simply the topic I'm looking for.

My most favorite books are The Little Prince and Through a Glass, Darkly. I came across The Little Prince in my grandparents' library and the moment I started reading, I couldn't stop. I found Through A Glass, Darkly when I was browsing through the school library and I saw that it was written by one of my favorite authors, Jostein Gaarder.

James Patterson (Thriller) and Jostein Gaarder (metafiction/story within a story)

The Little Prince since it always seems to answer a lot of my questions whenever I'm confused or sad. Runemarks because of it's really interesting story and I go back to recall the Norse gods and be able to visualize them.

Another book I will never ever get tired of reading.

I read philosophy books and horror stories

I usually know a little bit about the book before I buy it. I'll be talking about a book I've read and a friend or teacher of mine might suggest a book to me. If I like what I hear I'll go pick it up the next day.

Notes from the underground
Collected works of Franz EFFEN Kafka
End Game- BY BECKETT
The stranger
The metamorphesis

I really REALLY like Franz Kafka. His writing style is simple, absurd, and often very hard to understand. You have to reread his short stories and truly analyze what he is writing about. His work is good ol' classic existentialism with a poetic flair to it. He's truly an artist.

I've reread the metamorphesis multiple times. I've also reread The Stranger.

An existential book that is uplifting.

I read action, adventure and sci-fi books because they are exciting and usually have a well written plot. Also, the structure of the stories in these genres are well organised. I prefer books set in the modern age but I don't really consider this much.

There are a few habits of mine that I have to decide which books I read. First of all, I read the title. A title can tell a lot about a book and can be the little factor that makes up my final decision.
After that, I read the blurb to see if the plot captivates me.
Then, I check to see what 'person' the story is written in. What I mean by that is I check who's point of view it is written from. It can be 'first person' or 'third person'. I enjoy reading as 'first person' because you can empathise with the main character and you also get to know more about their feelings and thoughts.
The final step before I make a decision is to read the first page.

My favourite books of all time has to be the 'Noughts and Crosses' series by Malorie Blackman. They are so deep in emotions and concentrate on society. They also fill up my appetite for action and progress well throughout the story and series. Just like Final Fantasy, there is a love couple and the way she describes there emotions is unique (I'm not a girly person by the way).
A family member actually recommended these books and I am so glad they did.

My favourite authors are Malorie Blackman and Chris Ryan. Malorie writes Adventure and Romance while Chris writes Action/Adventure. Malorie has a very detailed style of writing, being able to create the right atmosphere when needed. Chris, however, is excellent at creating tension and describing action.

I have re-read 'Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix' before. It was only because I didn't understand the plot the first time round.

I've been looking for a book that is very philosyphical but concentrates on different points of view. It should be fictional and have a lot of meaning to it, just like the book 'The Stories of Ibis'.

Thanks for reading ;)

Last edited:
I read fantasy novels almost exclusively. Earth settings, be they past, present or future, bore me to tears, it has to be old style medieval warfare and magic, set on a fictional planet, as far away from real life as is possible. Ideally with an active pantheon, who are involved in mortal affairs. Immortal characters always make for such an interesting read.

I tend to act on impulse when it comes to what books I read. I'll pop into Waterstones, pick out something from the fantasy section, and then make my decision based on whether or not I think the blurb sounds interesting. I occasionally read books advertised in the books I read, as well. If I read one book by an author and like it, I'll hunt down the rest and read those, as well. The books I read are normally split up into multiple parts, so it makes sense to read all of the parts to it, right? Whether or not the series is complete often affects my decision as well - I'm waiting for several books right now, and it's driving me INSANE. I don't want to add to the list. I refuse to read The Wheel of Time or A Song of Ice and Fire until they're complete or close enough to it, to name but two.

What are your favourite books of all time?
The Malazan Book of the Fallen series, by Steven Erikson. I bought Toll the Hounds second hand a couple of years ago because it sounded interesting...then I found out it was the 8th book in the series. So I went ahead and bought the others...it took me about 10 months to read all of them, and I absolutely loved them. It was hard going at first, but that is because it's so detailed...there are so many different perspectives, a lot of sudden deaths, and unanswered questions that just leave me wanting MORE. Plus I love the take on magic in this one - The Deck of Dragons, the idea of warrens and Ascendants, etc. It's a different take on it, and it's all the more enjoyable for it. The Crippled God, the final instalment in the main series, is coming out in March 2011, and I am really looking forward to it.

Who are your favourite authors?
In order:
1) Steven Erikson - author of the Malazan Book of the Fallen. It's difficult to describe Erikson's writing style...it's complex, highly descriptive, and often quite philosophical.
2) David and Leigh Eddings - author of The Elenium, which is probably the funniest trilogy I've ever read, and a good story besides. People say Pratchett is the funniest fantasy writer and, as keen as I am on him, Pratchett has nothing on Eddings.
3) Raymond E. Feist - author of The Riftwar Cycle, which is over 20 books and counting. Feist is the whole reason I'm into fantasy, and he's got quite a straightforward way of writing...although with his later books it's become much more confusing, as the focus has shifted more towards the Gods and planes of reality outside of Midkemia, not to mention about four generations have passed between Magician and the latest novel.

Have you ever re-read a book?
I tend to re-read my favourites every two years or so, although in the case of those series that are unfinished, I tend to re-read the whole series before the new book comes out. Case in point: I'm currently re-reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen series, so I'm up-to-scratch when The Crippled God is released...plus I'm re-reading them so that I can pick up things I missed the first time around.

I would quite like to find a series that can match or even surpass Eddings in terms of humour. Pratchett is very amusing, but he's often hit-or-miss, and he doesn't tell as good a story as Eddings does. Eddings tells a brilliant story, and there is a dry comment made almost every time a character talks. I've yet to find another author who can match that.

I read a lot of different kinds of books. Fantasy is a favorite of mine, and so is horror, but I also read romance, light novels, comedy and crime fiction.

I usually depend on recommendations from other people, but other times I trust my gut feeling about a book. Usually I can 'smell' a good book when I pick it up and leaf through it a little bit or read the blurb on the back cover.

Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre, I both read as part of my classes in college and loved them ever since. They're just both lovely stories of love and social interactions that I find particularly attractive. Also both have fairly strong and likeable characters that keep me interested. Lisey's Story on the other hand was an unexpected and random gift from the guy who sat at the register of the bookstore across the street from my college. I bought all my college textbooks from there and one day he just randomly handed me the book. It turned out to be a wonderful story, one of Stephen King's best.

I'd probably say Jane Eyre and Stephen King. Eyre's classics are all about her language and social comedy, poking fun at her own life and times. Stephen King on the other hand is a true word-smith. He takes simple language and makes something truly phenomenal out of it.

Yes, and quite frequently. I often re-read books I've liked very much. I re-read them because that way I can ponder about the story better without being in a hurry to see what'll happen or have a second look at scenes or dialogue. Sometimes I even make annotations. Other times I just want to enjoy the language or writing itself.

A book that'll scare me out of my wits. First book to ever do that to me was King's IT and I'm always thinking there's bound to be a next one...

I tend to read fantasy and teen romance/adventure books. They're the most intriguing to me.

I tend to go for the cover and then read the back of the book to see if I like what's it's about. The look of a book is a big thing for me. I know they say don't judge a book by it's cover but I do at the start. >.<

My favourite at the moment is Demon Princess, which is a four part series. I came across it when my friend bought me the first book for my birthday this year. I read it in one day. XD

I just loved the young teen love and adventure. Everything is so new and exciting!

At the moment my favourite author is Michelle Rowan, who is also the author of Demon Princess.

She has so many other fantasy and teen romance/adventure books out as well and I can't wait to read them!

I have re-read some Sweet Valley and Baby-Sitters club books when I was younger, but I don't think I've ever re-read anything as I've gotten older. No time to even read something once these days.

Not sure right now. I will come back to this.

I posted in this thread four years ago, and things have changed since, so...

I've recently found myself leaning towards Classic literature, like 'Jane Eyre' by Charlotte Bronte, 'Treasure Island' by Robert Louis Stevenson, 'The Handmaid's Tale' by Margaret Atwood, and 'Of Mice and Men' by Steinback. There's a lot of vartiety in terms of the genre, so one can't really group them together... but I love how they reveal elements of history, and touch upon past issues from past cultures. There is so much one could write about them!

Recently, I've been picking books from the AQA reading lists for GCSE and A-Level English Literature. I also base my decision on the story and writing style, which I gather from reading a few pages.

My absolute favourite is 'His Dark Materials' the trilogy by Philip Pullman. This book engages with so many issues. The story is original, the world and dynamics are extremely creative, and the characters are very real.
Further favourites include 'Jane Eyre,' 'Watership Down,' 'The Handmaid's Tale,' 'The Three Muskateers,' and 'Harry Potter.'

Naming a favourite author is difficult. There are very few authors whose texts I have read widely. This is partly because I find many authors keep to the same style... I like variety. I like to hear (or read, rather) a variety of creative voices. If they don't keep to the same style, they may write a book that feels so different, it doesn't appeal to me.

Oh yes. 'Watership Down,' 'His Dark Materials,' 'The Sight,' and 'Harry Potter' books 1 to 5. I'm sure there are others. Why did I re-read them? Simply because I love them. :)

Back