Aeons - Useful or Useless?

In XII, I barely used them. xD
Mostly because I forgot about them, but, I relied on my mist charges whenever I was in a tight situation.

In X, they were extremely useful. :P
Every time I was close to gaming over, I'd just put Yuna in my party and summon. I'd end up winning and I'm good to go! =D

Aeons are downright useful. Lets face it they are so strong and there overdrives do a hell of alot of damage. Animas Oblivion can OHKO some enemies and it Makes bosses easier. The Magus Sisters are very useful too. Aeons are really strong An they help alot!

The aeon were ussfull especially when i wanted to dispacth of Seymour, but to me it was like having another party to play with and level up. Yojimbo and bahamut all the way

1) Aeons let you Overkill bosses and get double goodies.
2) Aeons are there to take one for the team when you see those dreaded words:

MANA BEAM IN 1 TURN

3) Ditto when Seymour's about to Oblivion you with Anima.

I used an aeon in nearly every boss fight because of #1. It was just a matter of saving them until I was sure the boss was getting low.

3) Ditto when Seymour's about to Oblivion you with Anima.

How the hell did the fight even last that long? I've played through FFX a good 10-15 times over the years, and not once has the first fight with Seymore ever given me a problem. And I've also never let Anima get her overdrive so high in that fight. I usually hit her with either Wakka's attack reels, Lulu's overdrive, or Tidus' Slice & Dice and the fight's over. Granted, the fight with Yunalesca and Seymore (Gagazet) were probably the only time after operation Mihegn that I had to bring in an Aeon for help.

How the hell did the fight even last that long? I've played through FFX a good 10-15 times over the years, and not once has the first fight with Seymore ever given me a problem. And I've also never let Anima get her overdrive so high in that fight. I usually hit her with either Wakka's attack reels, Lulu's overdrive, or Tidus' Slice & Dice and the fight's over. Granted, the fight with Yunalesca and Seymore (Gagazet) were probably the only time after operation Mihegn that I had to bring in an Aeon for help.

Donno. I don't use overdrives as much as I should, because I'm always expecting to need them for the next boss. And/or hadn't built them back up from Brother's machina boss.

I don't actually get to see Anima's overdrive in that boss battle, because Shiva's my favorite summon, so I just let Auron and Lulu take a pot shot each, then Grand Summon Shiva to finish her off. However, I watched a friend failing to heed my advice about doing something effective and dangerous -- she kept healing people -- and I got to watch Anima destroy her party. It was... effective.

That's funny. I'm pretty sure oblivion would wipe your party out, but her overdrive gauge takes so long to charge. I guess if you had the misfortune of watching the gauge get fully charged, the only thing you can do is summon an Aeon, and assume crash position.

They saved me countless times. Especially Anima, one of the best Aeons besides Yojimbo and The Magus Sisters. When you actually put time into powering them up, they are amazing. Totally Worth it. Best place to train is the area right before entering Zanarkand. I have said this before in another post, but just in case anyone wanted to know where you can actually make them useful.

Well, I've only used the first one in the game (so far) but I've found it to be very, very useful. I had a lot of fun using it during the few battles I've used it in. I can't wait to get the other ones in the game. They do great damage and take damage pretty good too.

They're very useful at the beginning of the game until at the 70th percent completion of the main quests, they can be a good tanker and attacker whenever the fiends gets too hard for the main party. However, when you finally obtained the Celestial Weapons and upgraded your characters near to Max Stats, the usage of Aeons gets lessened due to the following reasons.

First, Aeons are slower. The Max Damage that the playable characters and Aeons can achieve with the help of the Celestial Weapons is 99,999. If the main party can deal such damage, summoning the slower Aeons won't be necessary.

Second is dealing the damage itself. If the playable characters and the Aeons can both deal 99,999 damage to fiends, why remove 3 people that can deal 299,997 of damage per turn in exchange of one Aeon which can only deal 99,999. Seriously, that would be ridiculous.

However, if you're conquering the Monster Arena, Aeons are still very helpful, one reason is that aside from Curse, they are immune to all negative status effects which is very helpful since a lot of Special Fiends in the Monster Arena has attacks that deal status effects.

Aeons are super useful when you know an enemy is about to launch a 1hko move or overdrive, They are basically just there for sacrifices.

I found them useful to begin with but the stronger your characters get the less useful the Aeons become, until eventually they get to the point of only being summoned to protect against one hit KOs or, at a push, to see the cinematics of their Overdrives again. If you work on the relationship value with Yojimbo then the certainty of him using Zanmato is greatly increased, but by the time you've got him you're probably pretty strong anyway, and developing that relationship value with him takes time, so even the usefulness of that is questionable.

More like use LESS. I've never liked relying on summons or eidolons in FFVII or FFIX, so aeons are no exception to this. Earlier on in the game, it made more sense to utilize aeons for certain boss battles, but it does become a little pointless later on in the game when all of the characters have almost fully developed sphere grids and are pretty strong already, lol.

If anything, aeons become more like visual entertainment. They do look pretty awesome overall~ Probably the best looking "summons" from the whole FF series.

More like use LESS. I've never liked relying on summons or eidolons in FFVII or FFIX, so aeons are no exception to this.

Yeah but in 7 and 9 (and all earlier titles) they can't be used to take damage. 8 they kinda took damage whilst you were waiting for them to be cast and 10 they were unfortunate meatshields for powerful bosses overdrive attacks.

Yeah but in 7 and 9 (and all earlier titles) they can't be used to take damage. 8 they kinda took damage whilst you were waiting for them to be cast and 10 they were unfortunate meatshields for powerful bosses overdrive attacks.

I think it's sad to take advantage of them in that way though... :/ I mean, I've had to before, but it's sorta like having your character die during the last turn of a boss battle and you lose out on EXP. Except I'm not sure if you can revive an aeon during battle? I don't quite remember... :hmmm:

I think it's sad to take advantage of them in that way though... :/ I mean, I've had to before, but it's sorta like having your character die during the last turn of a boss battle and you lose out on EXP. Except I'm not sure if you can revive an aeon during battle? I don't quite remember... :hmmm:

I know what you mean but it did make them more useful. Thinking back to 7, 8 and 9 I never really used summons at all. Simply because the MP cost tended to be high and the relative power was static. They tended to be OK in the beginning and just plain not worth the time to watch even the shortened attack animations at a later date? Why would I summon Ifrit when I can use 4x cut and do 4x the amount of damage in a quicker amount of time.

It's difficult to get the balance right. If you make them too OP then people will just use summons for everything and currently they are clearly UP; so most people never use them at all. I did find myself using them slightly more in X though; not just for meatshields.

Back