Adelbert Steiner - what a guy

Thanks for the agreement!

But I personally doubt Square Enix would bother themselves to create a IX sequel... They might, but the idea doesn't sounds appealing, considering IX seems to have already achieved a literal 'perfect ending'...

I'm a fan of the Zidane-teasing-Steiner-part of the game!!!! Sure, he's annoying, but that's just part of the game! It just wouldn't be the same without him!! To have someone tragic to laugh at, just makes the game better!

No Hatred For Steiner from me. So he was a little over protective. That is his character. He is awesome for fighting with, and I actually enjoyed his little clangy sounds when running around. Actually just thinking of that sound has me wanting to play the game.

I read somewhere that it was only Zidane who said that Steiner had rusty armour, but that woman with the pickle stand said that he was rusty too...

I like Steiner, he annoyed me a little to begin with, but now I'm further into the game I have grown to understand why he was blindly following orders

It was Steiner's job to protect the Princess at any cost. It was his first and foremost job and he had to set all else aside in order to fulfill his duty.

Sure he may have been able to do it in a more mature and less whiny manner, but it made Steiner out to be the character he was. He eventually lightened up, but the initial dislike that fans pit against Steiner in the beginning of the game is intended.

I think its funny.. like an over protective farther telling his dadughter to keep away from the boy with the monkey tail or not to go to partys and be back at blah blah blah time lol.

Sure at the start he was annoying as hell but as the game moved on he showed his true colours. He almost kills himself trying to protect Alexandria, Beatrix and Garnet and he passes it off as just a scratch. His knights honour wouldn't allow him to leave Beatrix and Freya to fight off the Bandersnatchs alone

When Vivi was still questioning his identity the other characters were skirting around the issue but Steiner enforced his individuality. Not to mind how he protected him in the Wind Shrine and put his faith in him even if it meant risking his life

He hated Zidane but in the end when Zidane tried to seperate himself from everyone, what does Steiner say? "Chivalry requires a knight to look after his comrades-in-arms. I will not abandon you! And I shall follow you to kingdom come if I must. You remember that." OK he wasn't the only one there but c'mon they never got along and here he is saying he'd never abandon him

The first time i played the game i though steiner was a complete tool.Recently i played the game again after rebuying a ps2 since my old one broke, and i must say steiner is awesome he actually is my favorite person in ff9 now.He adds so much comedic humor to the game as well as a very deep person.His entire world is fliped upside down hes betrayed by his queen follows the princess to the ends of the world all while doubting what there doing and falls in love with his rival.

also he owns face in battle

cant be arsed reading through 10 pages. But good old Buzz Lightyear Steiner I thought was a great character.

Ok he's annoying a little, but he's so loyal. I know he's so loyal that he is blinded by the truth. But he spent his whole life it seems working for the Queen. He only has the best intrests for them in mind.

He matures by the end of the game and realises not to be so narrow minded

He is a good guy, just not very observant....he grew on me after a while, and he made for some good comic relief. I would have liked to have seen more development of him and his loyalty.

Thanks to Steiner I like Zell now. Compared to Steiner Zell is nice to have around. I also wouldn't mind knowing why he has some high water mail leggings on.

Well at least the whole thread isn't on everybody flaming the topic creator haha.

Steiner annoyed me for quite awhile, but he brought great humor to the game. Put Steiner with Vivi and Quina and just let them handle things on their own. Hilarium. He was in my party pretty often, despite I found him irritating a lot. I was somewhat unhappy with how they chose to use Steiner once most of the party was formed and back together. Or I guess, how he was not used. It seemed he just hated Zidane and the two bashed each other whenever they could. Then after awhile apart they got back together with the entire team and it seemed Steiner just...didn't say or do anything. I was somewhat disappointed with that. Kind of reminded me of Barret, after his story was told, he seemed to mostly disappear in the background if you didn't use him.

I suppose its difficult to avoid with an RPG, that still bothered me a little though, since I felt his personality totally changed. It wasn't exactly explained either, just that he hated Zidane and then...he was just okay with things. The end. But its been a long time since I've played the game so maybe I just forgot something. Nonetheless, he was a solid character for a lot of the game, always in my party, couldn't have beaten the game without him.

Liked Adelbert. He is a really strange character though, he's kind of really dramatic and gets carried away really easily. He's good for a laugh.

Kind of like the clanky sound effects he makes while walking along, and this theme song too.

Last edited:
I guess he was really annoying, he was overprotective god it's like he's Garnet father. xD he always wants to protect Garnet, just cut loose for a bit. :\

I guess he was really annoying, he was overprotective god it's like he's Garnet father. xD he always wants to protect Garnet, just cut loose for a bit. :\

This comment (and a few others in the thread) seem to miss the point about Steiner. He can't just 'loosen up', it's not in his character to do so. He's been obeying orders for most of his life, has probably been trained not to ask questions and has unswerving loyalty to Alexandria and Queen Brahne and the princess. He looks down on thieves like Zidane as common thieves and so has a hard time accepting him in the early parts of the game. This makes him rather stuffy but it's all part of his charm. Expecting Steiner to just loosen up is pretty much misreading his basic character. He is still a good person though even in the early parts of the game, as is shown by his behaviour towards Vivi.

Steiner changes as the game goes on and he has to accept the truths about Queen Brahne and what has been going on. He learns to respect Zidane and realises that he wants to do the same as Steiner, to try and protect Garnet/Dagger. His character development is one of the best parts of FFIX.

I thought he was a woman...an ugly woman.

His sooo funny though. xD
Always jumping around.
But you must admit him and Vivi made a good team with the mage and sword combo.

Back