A Realm Recast: How long does it take you to get used to voice actor changes?

Dionysos

Βρεκεκεκὲξ κοὰξ κοάξ
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Veteran
Gil
Shiva Snowflake
Carlos el Cactuar
Chocobo Egg
Accessory (Arms)
Build-A-Member
Accessory (Head)
FFXIV
Polyphemos Bromios
FFXIV Server
Moogle
Free Company
KupoCon
I couldn't help but notice when moving straight from post-ARR content into Heavensward that a sizable portion of the main cast have been replaced with different voice actors.

Not only are they simply different actors, but they also appear to be speaking with completely different accents which the characters didn't have only a couple of hours ago....

It would appear that Alphinaud's depression after the betrayal of the Crystal Braves must have affected his vocal chords, whereas Raubahn has spent his time in prison practicing a new accent...

I've found this jarring to say the least.

However, this is all completely new to me. The majority of you will have had a lot of time to grow accustomed to the new voice actors, and any other changes which have happened since. How long would you say it takes you to get used to them?

Do such changes startle you at first and temporarily break your immersion in the story?

This is something we never have to worry about for the offline Final Fantasy games so this is very interesting.

Last edited:
I keep voices to a minimum and just read the dialog, so the changes make little to no difference to me.

...I skip a lot of scenes so I can barely tell when there's a voice change. I don't even remember Alphinaud's or Raubahn's original voice. I'm sure I noticed it a few years ago though, but it didn't bother me too much.

A bit unrelated but the one thing that irks me is Thancred's face lift. Voice changing is one thing, but to change his face is a bit off to me. I liked his rugged looks in Realm Reborn.

I played the entirety of ARR and HW with Japanese voice acting and only changed it to English when I started Stormblood :8F: It was confusing when I did old trials again and heard all the line in english (most of them were cooler in Japanese okay)

so yeah I guess I can't answer that question, but I have to mention that I really liked Agrias' lines in orbonne monastery, her voice is the one that stood out the most to me in stormblood :jess:

Are these changes only true for the English dub? Because I think I don't deal with voice changes well (but really, it can frustrate me quite much) and I play with Japanese dub.

I didn't even notice the VAs were different until I read about it at Stormblood launch, haha.

Back