[20/09]FFXV demoed at TGS,Episode Duscae details float, and BEHOLD! Hairstyles survive pouring rain!

Linnaete

sus
Staff member
Editorial Staff
Veteran
Gil
Andre the Adamantoise
Chocobo Egg
Accessory (Head)
Accessory (Arms)
Build-A-Member
Chocobo Egg
FFXIV
Aoife Linnaete
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
None
ffxv_09-20_pres-off-sugjyr.jpg

Watch Noctis and crew stand in the rain and sun, as Square-Enix unexpectedly turned up with more Final Fantasy XV today, this time in the form of a tech demo presentation during a Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Talk Show stage event at the Tokyo Game Show.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD and now FFXV director Hajime Tabata also revealed a few tidbits for the upcoming demo of Final Fantasy XV that shall be included as a downloadable voucher with Final Fantasy Type-0 HD. "Duscae" will be one of the regions of the world - and not a pun on "desu ka", which is Japanese for "is it" - and presumably where the demo will geographically take place.

The length of Episode Duscae will be approximately an hour if a player doesn't take the time to explore. Otherwise, evoking a Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes-esque scenario, the demo can last you up to around four hours. What come with the demo will be a vertical slice of the overworld, and possibly also a dungeon. Director Tabata stated that while there won't be any boss battles included, there will instead be "something more amazing" that "Final Fantasy fans will really like".

ffxv_09-20_pres-off-sbxj89.jpg

Anyone remember the car that looks like a cross between an Audi and a Maserati? Players nostalgic for FFVIII's cars will be pleased to know that they will be able to drive that car around. Or if you don't fancy cruising on this road trip, get another party member to take the wheel for you.

ffxv_09-20_pres-off-szaj07.jpg

The footage shown, which Tabata dubbed the “Overture” tech demo, showcased the game’s dynamic weather, including rain detailed to the point where places under objects don’t get wet. And when it’s sunny, it dries up as you move along. The game also features a dynamic day-night cycle complete with lighting transformation.

ffxv_09-20_pres-off-skijd2.jpg

Also shown is Noctis’ sword warping system. You’ll use an reticle to aim and toss your sword, warping from location A to B. Think the Batman Arkham games and its grappling hook system, though hopefully one that permits a bit more freedom than allowed for Batman.

Finally, Tabata said he the next update at Jump Festa in December. Regular updates from heron? It might actually be possible. Please be excited and please understand.
Gematsu

Updated with HD screen-captured footage :)

This looks interesting alright--hard to get a feel for it without trying the action parts in-person, though. I did understand the gist of what the speakers were saying, but an English demo would probably help, too. As it is, that battle system looks like it could be pretty fun to string moves through once you master everything. That targeting system is really going to have to work well to keep from being frustrating, but it looks like it's on the right track so far. Looking forward to more footage of this game--also encouraged that there's a playable demo at TGS, since it means the Type-0 voucher demo will probably not be too long in arriving.

I think they changed Noctis's figure too...he looks slightly more muscular. hope it doesn't bother me too much....I also miss Ignis's old design. this current one just doesn't fit the character he's portraying. Some screenshots showing them eating out, so perhaps setting up camp will return in FF15 like in the previous FFs, but for the first time, it will be more literal.

Players nostalgic for FFVIII's cars will be pleased to know that they will be able to drive that car around. Or if you don't fancy cruising on this road trip, get another party member to take the wheel for you.

Fuel economy was a bitch in ff8

Last edited:
perhaps setting up camp will return in FF15 like in the previous FFs, but for the first time, it will be more literal.

Interesting observation. Seems like there's a lot of that kind of thing going on in this game--the old, familiar elements are definitely there, just not quite how we're used to seeing them. I heard someone speculate that having party members kind of jump off each other or knock each other out of harm's way is the modern equivalent of the 'cover' abilities we've seen in various iterations in the past. Stuff like that makes me really look forward to FFXV, since it seems like a pretty intelligent reimagining rather than abandoning what has made Final Fantasy up to this point.

Oh Stella, what have they done to you? I really hope they reconsider her new look and they haven't thrown away the whole forced enemies between her and Noctis. I really want something tragic to happen there. I wonder if the car scene is leading up to the "date" in which Stella and Noctis exchange words about the light. Apart from driving around, it's nice to see that they are implementing the grandeur scale to different monsters but the other trailer didn't add much to anything. The Overture gave a hopeful close to final glimpse of the playable overworld feel.I can't bring to put my hopes up, much akin to FFXIII original battle procedure. (I'm looking at your anti-gravity Lightning):dry:

i'm also very disapointed in stella....they even gave her a new name...either stella has becomes something else, or we're secretly seeing another character (doubt it)

Back