[19/09] TGS '15: Latest FFXV ATR: Luna, King Regis, Gentiana, CHOCOBOS, FISHING!...and more

Linnaete

sus
Staff member
Editorial Staff
Veteran
Gil
Andre the Adamantoise
Chocobo Egg
Accessory (Head)
Accessory (Arms)
Build-A-Member
Chocobo Egg
FFXIV
Aoife Linnaete
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
None
ffxv-atr-captures_09-f7pq0.jpg

Another day and another Active Time Report for Final Fantasy XV. What did producer Hajime Tabata have in store for us this time? Well, as promised, he was willing to divulge further information on two key characters in the game's story: King Regis (Noctis's Game-of-Thronesy father) and Lunafreya Nox Fleuret. In addition, Chocobo fans can rejoice, because you will indeed be able to roam across the land on the trusty, steadfast, iconic overgrown chickens.

The Empire of Niflheim

Manned by the ruthless Idola Aldercapt, the nation of Niflheim has successfully managed to subjugate the land with pure military force and precision. The only nation that has seemingly managed to remain unscathed from imperial wrath is the Kingdom of Lucis. The homeland of Noctis has been safely sheltered by the crystal, which is purportedly the last remaining one.

ffxv-atr-captures_09-5zuta.jpg

Niflheim spreads its military web across the land.

ffxv-atr-captures_09-dsuph.jpg

The Kingdom of Lucis, sheltered behind walls and the crystal's might.

King Regis

Lucis's king is the current guardian of the crystal. Like his son, he can also brandish weapons from seemingly thin air. In his younger days, he fought on the battlefield alongside figures such as Cid (father of Cindy) and General Cor Leonis.

ffxv-atr-captures_09-f7pq0.jpg

ffxv-atr-captures_09-w9u6f.jpg

As the guardian of the crystal and protector of Lucis, it maintain sufficient energy to maintain the shield around the kingdom. As a result, the strain has dramatically aged the king. One just wonders whether Noctis would have to do this as well and receive the Solid Snake aging treatment!

ffxv-atr-captures_09-o1u4d.jpg

Lunafreya Nox Fleuret

Revered 'Oracle' - Luna possesses the ability to communicate with the gods and is the youngest person yet with the ability.

ffxv-atr-captures_09-cnuyo.jpg

There is significance in that "double-sided spear" she is wielding, though one glance at the official keyart can perhaps tell you that it is in fact a trident. Presumably one that can help summon aquatic-based summons like err...Leviathan? Who knows!

Tabata would like to incessantly remind us that Luna is in fact a strong, brave, determined and steel-willed character who does not easily falter in the face of coercion. Her nation of Tenebrae has already fallen under the military yoke of Niflheim and serves as nothing more than one of its provinces. As Oracle, Luna is granted relative autonomy...well, as autonomous as you can get when she still has soldiers train guns on her.

ffxv-atr-captures_09-dou9z.jpg

Of course they were childhood friends! Why wouldn't they be? Wee Noctis and wee Luna made a promise to each other back in the day. Tabata isn't saying what the promise is or what it entails though.

Gentiana

ffxv-atr-captures_09-g4uqq.jpg

In the official keyart of Luna, you will have noticed a raven-haired woman included in the image as well. It's perhaps the same one first shown in FFXV's E3 2013 trailer. So who is this mysterious Hrist Valky- err, woman? Well, her name is Gentiana and she has an important role to play. What is it? They're not telling us.

Kweh!

ffxv-chocobo-gameplay4guh9.jpg

So you want to ride this Chocobo? Chocobos can be rented in gil for up to 30 days, and called at any time. While riding chocobos, you can press the jump button again to make it try to stay airborne. When you get off a chocobo, it will follow you for a while. You cannot raise or breed chocobos. And you can catch fish of all sizes in bodies of water, using various different rods, to cook up back at camp.

Q&A

• They’re considering adding Gilgamesh and others into the game via DLC.

• Chocobos can be called with a whistle, so you won’t always have to go to the Chocobo Post to get them. They will be rentals and can be rented out for several days.

• The Chocobo will follow you around when you’re not riding on them, but will leave after a while. But no worries, they’ll come back if you blow the whistle.

• There won’t be any double jumps in Final Fantasy XV, but there will be aerial combos.

• Final Fantasy XV will feature various mini-games, called “Activities,” such as fishing, Chocobo racing against NPCs, and more.

• There won’t be a Chocobo raising/breeding system like in Final Fantasy VII, but there will be a way to track which Chocobo you’ve been riding, along with special buffs such as increased speed.

• Hajime Tabata said that if they’re able to add things into Final Fantasy XV, they will—even if it means having to do so through DLC.

• Should they add content to the game via DLC, it will always be for free. For example, if they are to add airships through DLC, it will be a free download.

• There will be a variety of familiar magic for Final Fantasy XV, and one brand new “main” magic.

• Guns won’t have combos similar to regular weapons, but they will have rapid fire shots, and will require reloads. Think of them as traditional gameplay with guns in other games.

• There will be a variety of lures for fishing, and Square Enix are considering adding special rods that you might be able to get from certain NPCs.

• Hajime Tabata says that Final Fantasy XVs CERO rating will be at around CERO B or C, around ages 12 and up.

• There will be a variety of foods that you can cook up, along with cooking skills.

• You’ll get something for defeating Archaeans (Summoned Beasts,) as in something to prove that you beat them, and will sometimes get to “borrow” their power after doing so.

• There are plans to have other languages (voicing) to be available via DLC.

• There will be scenes that show Lunafreya fighting, but that’s all they were able to say for now.

• Players won’t be able to equip sub-weapons, but other party members will be able to. For example, Gladio can equip a shield. Players can rotate through various weapons, but party members will switch through their sub-weapons.

• The Black Chocobo isn’t just a regular Chocobo.

• You won’t be able to go inside all of the buildings, but there are plenty you will get to enter.

• Tabata would like to add stuff like background stories of when the characters were in high school, and other similar episodes. He’d like for fans to be able to see more of the characters from when they were younger, so they can get to know them better, rather than just from what’s going on in the current story.

• “Cidney” is the Japanese name. “Cindy” is the English name. Tabata calls her Cindy while speaking to the Western media, and vice versa

• There will be more music and changes to the game. For example, you’ll get a different song while dashing on a Chocobo.

• After a long while of consideration, Square Enix dropped the idea of having Moogle in Final Fantasy XV; however, if there’s enough demand for it, they’ll find a way to put them in the game. [YOU BASTARDS! PUT THEM IN! KUPO!]

• There won’t be any Limit Breaks from Final Fantasy VII in the game, but there will be something similar.

• When fields are connected, there won’t be any required loading time while traveling. There will, however, be some when the story moves you from place to place.

• More details on Final Fantasy XV, such as character or monster profiles, will be revealed periodically before March, when they’re expected to announce the release date of the game.

Nova Crystallis | Siliconera

That screenshot seems to suggest works of a prequel. I don't think the problem at this point though is reminding us that Luna is strong. Its whether it was necessary to scrap the Stella monicker and design. Tabata fails to realize this is more about excusing it.Honestly the design changes still feel weak. I wouldve liked to see Stella redesigned into a completely new character named Luna, if the design was Better. same with king. But I digress. Chocobo riding sounds great. Fishing? Save it for the Zelda games. I just prefer free roaming. I'm still NOT looking forward to driving. I hope there is more to it than going from point A to point B with sight seeing.

That screenshot seems to suggest works of a prequel. I don't think the problem at this point though is reminding us that Luna is strong. Its whether it was necessary to scrap the Stella monicker and design. Tabata fails to realize this is more about excusing it.Honestly the design changes still feel weak. I wouldve liked to see Stella redesigned into a completely new character named Luna, if the design was Better. same with king.

Screenshot? It's just concept artwork, probably created for events such as this in order to give us vague glimpses of characters' pasts and backstories. Not sure why that screams a possible prequel to you, especially when FFXV is said to be a self-contained story without that "Versus epic" stuff Nomura had in mind.

Luna basically is a completely new character. She just so happens to be a young blonde woman like Stella had been. I presume that when the original "Versus epic" was condensed/thrown in the bin, they completely went back to square one with the character, kept a few elements (princess, Tenebrae, might be a circumstantial enemy), scrapped the stuff that would not work within a self-contained story - and/or stuff that would not gel well with the new story beats of a story that is now completely divorced from Fabula Nova Crystallis - and went from there. Why does she get a name change and not King Regis? Who knows. Though were I to guess, I'd say it's because Luna is now tied to Leviathan - and to water, so moon and tides, etc.

But let's mourn at the most important loss here. King Regis is now an old geezer, because crystal. I liked the original Yakuza boss look of Regis and now they turn around and transform him into a battle-worn veteran. The entire Japanese mob motive seems to be gone. As a change, I'd easily argue this is more bizarre than anything to do with Luna. It's like they were hellbent on globalising the appeal of the game as much as possible, so they arrived at the conclusion that what this game needs is Game of Thrones.

Still not sure what to think of this game anymore but that's actually quite a lot of good info. I found the rating and free DLC especially interesting. After Type-0 being an M title I expected this game would be as well, but it sounds like they'll be going for an ESRB T if the CERO rating is any indication. And all the 'we may add it as free DLC' makes me wonder if this game won't be like Destiny--severely lacking at launch, then a year later it's completely different thanks to free updates. I dunno...something just feels really 'off' whenever I see FFXV footage. I can't pinpoint what it is exactly--maybe it just feels like SE is straining to make the game at all.

But let's mourn at the most important loss here. King Regis is now an old geezer, because crystal. I liked the original Yakuza boss look of Regis and now they turn around and transform him into a battle-worn veteran. The entire Japanese mob motive seems to be gone. As a change, I'd easily argue this is more bizarre than anything to do with Luna. It's like they were hellbent on globalising the appeal of the game as much as possible, so they arrived at the conclusion that what this game needs is Game of Thrones.

I get that impression too. He's got a very medieval kingly or lordly look now, but quite oddly superimposed over the top of the business boss suits from his mob aesthetic. I may get used to it but it looks out of place at first glance. I guess the name King Regis fits this design.

King Regis itself really is a silly name though.... Regis is Latin for 'of the king' or 'kingly', etc. King Regis is 'King of the King' or 'Kingly King'! Unless they are going for a 'King of Kings' character (like Agamemnon or Jesus Christ) then it's a little bit odd.

As for Game of Thrones again, Noctis and Luna have direwolves! Luna has Ghost!

Screenshot? It's just concept artwork, probably created for events such as this in order to give us vague glimpses of characters' pasts and backstories. Not sure why that screams a possible prequel to you, especially when FFXV is said to be a self-contained story without that "Versus epic" stuff Nomura had in mind.

Luna basically is a completely new character. She just so happens to be a young blonde woman like Stella had been. I presume that when the original "Versus epic" was condensed/thrown in the bin, they completely went back to square one with the character, kept a few elements (princess, Tenebrae, might be a circumstantial enemy), scrapped the stuff that would not work within a self-contained story - and/or stuff that would not gel well with the new story beats of a story that is now completely divorced from Fabula Nova Crystallis - and went from there. Why does she get a name change and not King Regis? Who knows. Though were I to guess, I'd say it's because Luna is now tied to Leviathan - and to water, so moon and tides, etc.

But we didn't need to have a redesign and name change only to add a whole new scenario and remove most of the old. But again....I wouldn't mind so much if the y gave her a better design. Perhaps silver hair, unique hairstyle, bright eyes, etc.

Tabata really made them look more typical and less unique.

King regis is indeed a loss. And I feel it changed the game drastically. The point was so that they appeared Mafia like. Now that is gone, they look like modern kingdom.

I like the fact that the King is older than the first concepts shown. Considering Final Fantasy's general lack of protagonists over the age of forty-five since Final Fantasy VI, it's about time we had a more mature central figure featured.

Fans have also been asking for a more traditional fantasy game, reminiscent of the likes of Final Fantasy IV. Square Enix needs to ground this title as the next progression for the Final Fantasy series, giving fans and converts something new, whilst also maintaining the core elements unique to the franchise. Final Fantasy XIII was supposed to play this role but it wasn't that big a hit with older fans, so now it's back to including some of the basics, which means kings and kingdoms and battle-worn veterans. I don't personally see how this screams of Game of Thrones, unless of course, we see start seeing full on sex scenes and King Regis being beheaded or something. :britt:

True, this isn't very comparable with Game of Thrones. I think what I had in mind when I brought it up is how it as (chiefly) a TV series has become so firmly ingrained into much of western pop culture now that I feel someone at Square Enix Japan took notice, decided to really go for that global appeal factor and chose to change a formerly modern looking Yakuza-like monarch into something that wouldn't be too out of place visually from a western fantasy like Game of Thrones.

Now, this would perhaps be fine for a monarch of say, Niflheim. They're the nation with the soldiers that dress in medieval-like armour. But for Lucis? Even since the Versus days, Lucis is the nation where its use of magic and crystals is deliberately juxtaposed with the look and feel of modernity, from the clothes designed by the real-life fashion designer label Roen, to the architecture and layout of the capital city heavily based off of Shinjuku. King Regis suddenly looking like this worn out white man (with no physical resemblance to Noctis like, at all) wearing bits of medieval fantasy armour seems...incongruous.

After watching the chocobo and fishing footage... Hmm. The riding looks fun but I'm honestly not a fan of the art style. I saw other people comment about the same thing on NeoGAF a few days ago so I don't think I'm alone. It's just so dull and gloomy and drained of colour. I understand the environment that they're in, but I don't know. I feel like it could be so much brighter. Maybe it looks better in real life //shrug

I'm rather new to the series so don't have too much else to say about everything else. Will be keeping an eye on it I suppose!

I like the fact that the King is older than the first concepts shown. Considering Final Fantasy's general lack of protagonists over the age of forty-five since Final Fantasy VI, it's about time we had a more mature central figure featured.

Fans have also been asking for a more traditional fantasy game, reminiscent of the likes of Final Fantasy IV. Square Enix needs to ground this title as the next progression for the Final Fantasy series, giving fans and converts something new, whilst also maintaining the core elements unique to the franchise. Final Fantasy XIII was supposed to play this role but it wasn't that big a hit with older fans, so now it's back to including some of the basics, which means kings and kingdoms and battle-worn veterans. I don't personally see how this screams of Game of Thrones, unless of course, we see start seeing full on sex scenes and King Regis being beheaded or something. :britt:
There is a big difference between 15 and 13. 13 was more drastic with game play. Rather than evolving from what 12 left off, it took a completely different turn.

Lets all remember that 15 was changed out of necessity, not because the game was intending to be the next numbered game. And ebery one accepted it in open arms.

True, this isn't very comparable with Game of Thrones. I think what I had in mind when I brought it up is how it as (chiefly) a TV series has become so firmly ingrained into much of western pop culture now that I feel someone at Square Enix Japan took notice, decided to really go for that global appeal factor and chose to change a formerly modern looking Yakuza-like monarch into something that wouldn't be too out of place visually from a western fantasy like Game of Thrones.

Now, this would perhaps be fine for a monarch of say, Niflheim. They're the nation with the soldiers that dress in medieval-like armour. But for Lucis? Even since the Versus days, Lucis is the nation where its use of magic and crystals is deliberately juxtaposed with the look and feel of modernity, from the clothes designed by the real-life fashion designer label Roen, to the architecture and layout of the capital city heavily based off of Shinjuku. King Regis suddenly looking like this worn out white man (with no physical resemblance to Noctis like, at all) wearing bits of medieval fantasy armour seems...incongruous.

Ah, I see what you're saying there and it's a pretty good point too in regards to the difference in appearance of King Regis to the sleek, modern culture of Lucis. Maybe they did sacrifice continuity of design for something they felt would be more globally popular. Regardless, no matter what they are trying to achieve, they probably should have worked on that family resemblance a bit more!

As a bit of an aside, not long ago a friend made the observation that the Japanese market seemed to be looking for more westernised games, there appears to be a growing market there for that sort of thing so perhaps that's where this whole change in the Final Fantasy experience is coming from. Admittedly this is conjecture so this isn't exactly an insight grounded by solid evidence on my part, more musing than anything else.

I don't consider the westernising of Final Fantasy to be a change. Final Fantasy has been facing west throughout most of its history.

The first Final Fantasy was heavily inspired by Dungeons and Dragons and since then a lot of (if not most - but not all) of the themes in the Final Fantasy universes are drawn from western popular culture and history moreso than Japanese or East Asian (or in some cases, the inspiration has come through Japanese anime / manga which itself was based or inspired by western popular culture). They tend to do it in a very Japanese way, but there were always lots of western elements there too. FF didn't always resemble anime.

I think we're only noticing it more now because these characters in FFXV look like real people. So much like real people that race (only an example) becomes apparent where it otherwise may not have. Think about FFX's Tidus and Yuna's in-game graphics, and how much more European they looked there (only when viewed and identified with, perhaps, by Europeans and Americans, etc), but in cgi they were undeniably much more Asian-looking.

Noctis in FFXV's clothing and character design follow Japanese trends. If the graphics were less realistic he could be plucked straight out of a Japanese anime. His father, less so. If King Regis was designed in the same artistic style that FFIX's Steiner was designed, would he look more like a Japanese design? Likewise, if Steiner was now designed in a realistic FFXV way, would he now look like an actual European medieval knight as opposed to an anime-style parody of a knight? Would we then have said that FFIX was a westernised game?

King Regis isn't too far removed from a Japanese style, though. He can easily be 'translated' into it.

If any of that makes sense. :argor:

I'm basically saying that there has been a transference of ideas and styles in popular culture between west and east. King Regis is just another example of it, and because he looks more like a real person he becomes more of an important example than he would have been if he looked like a cartoon.

I already have an opinion on Luna, but I wanted to voice my opinion on Gentiana specifically. Gentiana is a character that has remained mysterious ever since she was first revealed as a face when the name change to FF XV happened. While there is not much to say about her right now, it looks like we have a interesting character. Tabata said, "Her assistant Gentiana is not just any assistant. Rather, she herself also is a special existence, you could say." What does this mean? I read theories about people saying that she is Leviathan but that is just ridiculous because there is not any indication besides Leviathan's sex being female, and the trident Luna holds resembling Leviathan. However, this "special existence" is mysterious and makes me think she is more than a female. She may be a spy or something under the villains because I cannot help but see evil in her eyes when I look at her face. That or she already either knows Luna somehow or is not any mere attendant. There is something about her. She is dressed in all black, has black hair, whilst, Luna is wearing white and has blonde hair. I feel like there is definitely something there that suggests these females are opposites.

Check out her face below

latest

Concept art

CPESt3ZXAAQHpSn.jpg

Yeah, she is definitely mysterious. In the concept art, she looks deceiving. Why is she closing her eyes while giving Luna the trident? It appears to me like this is a plan. According to FF wiki, Gentiana is a plant named after the Illyrian king Gentius who recognized the healing effects of the flower. That is interesting because everything about her suggests evil because she looks like a goth woman, yet her name is named after a king that believed flowers had healing effects.

I know it would be silly if I looked into her some more, but she honestly looks interesting and focused on. She is definitely a high point of the game so far for me. I really doubt she is going to be killed off early as Jihl Nabaat was in XIII. Nabaat was said to be very mysterious and interesting as well. I do not know, I have been very interested in Gentiana analysis lately. We need strong and interesting females unlike Cindy, and this definitely helps me.

I already have an opinion on Luna, but I wanted to voice my opinion on Gentiana specifically. Gentiana is a character that has remained mysterious ever since she was first revealed as a face when the name change to FF XV happened. While there is not much to say about her right now, it looks like we have a interesting character. Tabata said, "Her assistant Gentiana is not just any assistant. Rather, she herself also is a special existence, you could say." What does this mean? I read theories about people saying that she is Leviathan but that is just ridiculous because there is not any indication besides Leviathan's sex being female, and the trident Luna holds resembling Leviathan. However, this "special existence" is mysterious and makes me think she is more than a female. She may be a spy or something under the villains because I cannot help but see evil in her eyes when I look at her face. That or she already either knows Luna somehow or is not any mere attendant. There is something about her. She is dressed in all black, has black hair, whilst, Luna is wearing white and has blonde hair. I feel like there is definitely something there that suggests these females are opposites.

Check out her face below

latest

Concept art

CPESt3ZXAAQHpSn.jpg

Yeah, she is definitely mysterious. In the concept art, she looks deceiving. Why is she closing her eyes while giving Luna the trident? It appears to me like this is a plan. According to FF wiki, Gentiana is a plant named after the Illyrian king Gentius who recognized the healing effects of the flower. That is interesting because everything about her suggests evil because she looks like a goth woman, yet her name is named after a king that believed flowers had healing effects.

I know it would be silly if I looked into her some more, but she honestly looks interesting and focused on. She is definitely a high point of the game so far for me. I really doubt she is going to be killed off early as Jihl Nabaat was in XIII. Nabaat was said to be very mysterious and interesting as well. I do not know, I have been very interested in Gentiana analysis lately. We need strong and interesting females unlike Cindy, and this definitely helps me.

Gentiana flowers are also typically purple or a deep blue. These colours are favourites with some goths too (who like to supplement black with other colours). Possibly because of the appreciation of the colour purple in Victorian times thanks to the invention of synthetic organic-chemical dyes.

The last goth-type character (that I can recall) was Lulu. Before Lulu, I can't think of any. FF usually avoids the goth archetypes. I guess Vincent might count.

Will Gentiana be a villain or double-crosser? Who knows. She might just be a Wednesday Adams style character. She might walk about looking miserable and then occasionally say something incredibly morbid, yet slightly amusing and dry.

Or she might just look that way and act entirely differently.

Lulu dressed goth and was fairly gloomy because (I guess) she was mourning the loss of her intended (Wakka's brother Chappu), and also because on her previous pilgrimage her summoner was killed by Yojimbo (or in the cave of Yojimbo, if I recall correctly).

Maybe Gentiana has sadness in her life. Or maybe not. Maybe she's a rich girl who identifies as goth.

We can only speculate right now as I don't think much has been revealed about her.

I do think, however, that she might represent the night somehow. We see the theme with Luna and Noctis already.

Lunafreya Nox Fleuret; The whole closing of the eyes when handing something shows a sense of social status. Gentiana could very well be a loyal servant of Lunafreya's. Yeesh, and .Fleur blames me for the over psycho analysis? Honestly, Gentiana may seem mysterious just by the mere fact that she is the second female character to be showcased in a trailer. And probably a minor note, but i'll mention it anyways, so far the females we seen are all blonde, Gentiana is the only one that isn't (but that can quickly change if there is another side female character). But, given the way SE (or just Tabata) is slowly teasing a character while trying to assure us Lunafreya is indeed "strong". This character just looks like a supportive role to Luna. She's an unknown....but not "mysterious". Its not like we're seeing her in every central scene of the trailers. She's just not well known at this moment. Once we start seeing cutscenes about her, she wont be so mysterious. @Dionysos We already have a character representing the night. Its Noctis, who has almost equal amount of dark and goth qualities (although, his is more punk, hers is more victorian). I will say this, since the scene with Stella and Noctis has been scrapped completely, that means there wont be that famous city scene (i still grieve), which includes that mysterious Dragoon woman. Gentiana may as well just be another replacement/re-purpose for that dragoon woman that Noctis was about to battle. Still....although she appears more interesting, compared to the FF versus 13 scenes, and what we are getting with these new characters, i'm hoping for some real "personality" i dont need to see Luna summon a giant leviathan and destroy a city.......i need to see if these characters feel real and genuine and overall interesting.

Last edited:
Gentiana flowers are also typically purple or a deep blue. These colours are favourites with some goths too (who like to supplement black with other colours). Possibly because of the appreciation of the colour purple in Victorian times thanks to the invention of synthetic organic-chemical dyes.

Will Gentiana be a villain or double-crosser? Who knows. She might just be a Wednesday Adams style character. She might walk about looking miserable and then occasionally say something incredibly morbid, yet slightly amusing and dry.

Or she might just look that way and act entirely differently.

Maybe Gentiana has sadness in her life. Or maybe not. Maybe she's a rich girl who identifies as goth.

We can only speculate right now as I don't think much has been revealed about her.

I do think, however, that she might represent the night somehow. We see the theme with Luna and Noctis already.

That is some Interesting insight, Dan. Now that you mention it, Luna does respect the flowers.

latest

This is official concept art and may indicate something. I am very interested to see what you think Gentiana may represent to Luna. I cannot help but think she is a villain and she was even shown on the villain side in the e3 2013 trailer. Whether that means anything is obviously speculation, but it is there. Such interesting symbolism, and perhaps it means something to Luna.

468px-Final_fantasy_xv_characters.png

Here we have Noctis, Old Regis, Gladio, Prompto, Ignis, Cor, White hooded villain, big bad, Gentiana, another bad person from old trailers, Idola Aldercapt and Stella. Gentiana is definitely on the villain’s side in this image and it is likely a hint.

@Lunafreya Nox Fleuret; The whole closing of the eyes when handing something shows a sense of social status. Gentiana could very well be a loyal servant of Lunafreya's. Yeesh, and .Fleur blames me for the over psycho analysis?

Honestly, Gentiana may seem mysterious just by the mere fact that she is the second female character to be showcased in a trailer. And probably a minor note, but i'll mention it anyways, so far the females we seen are all blonde, Gentiana is the only one that isn't (but that can quickly change if there is another side female character).

But, given the way SE (or just Tabata) is slowly teasing a character while trying to assure us Lunafreya is indeed "strong". This character just looks like a supportive role to Luna.

She's an unknown....but not "mysterious". Its not like we're seeing her in every central scene of the trailers. She's just not well known at this moment. Once we start seeing cutscenes about her, she wont be so mysterious.

I will say this, since the scene with Stella and Noctis has been scrapped completely, that means there wont be that famous city scene (i still grieve), which includes that mysterious Dragoon woman.

Gentiana may as well just be another replacement/re-purpose for that dragoon woman that Noctis was about to battle.

I am in agreement with her that you over psycho analyze, but let us not get into that. Take it up with her and not me. I enjoy speculation and SE has provided clear hints at Gentiana's character.

Right, let me get to your points. SE surely wants to convey something about Gentiana because she is closing her eyes. Sure, it may indicate respect, but I cannot help but take a different perspective on this. In my honest opinion, she is not just a "support" role and SE already said she is integral to the story. You do not just design a neat piece of concept art like this and suggest she is just support. Gentiana is mysterious for a reason and I am very open to speculation about her. Well, the next ATR will focus on the Nilfheim Empire, AKA the villains, but it is not as if Tabata suggested Gentiana will be talked about. I honestly think SE is not revealing her much because she is a huge spoiler. Yes, she is mysterious. Why are you grieving? The dragoon girl is still in the game and will be talked about next ATR. The city scene is likely still in but shifted. Actually, that is interesting because Gentiana was never shown before dragoon girl; however, I still believe the dragoon is someone completely different. I can see where you are coming from but there is more to this than meets the eye.

I dont know if anyone is noticing this, but FFXV is moving much more closer to Type-0's style....i'm already seeing the whole nations go at it in a type-0 style (map of the armies) and Tabata is already wanting to do highschool life (another Type-0 aspect)

Here we have Noctis, Old Regis, Gladio, Prompto, Ignis, Cor, White hooded villain, big bad, Gentiana, another bad person from old trailers, Idola Aldercapt and Stella. Gentiana is definitely on the villain’s side in this image and it is likely a hint.
So is Luna (which i doubt they kept the stella design from back then.
Right, let me get to your points. SE surely wants to convey something about Gentiana because she is closing her eyes.
You give SE way too much credit. The focus is on Lunafreya (and how "strong she is, and yes i'm being as sarcastic as possible)
Sure, it may indicate respect, but I cannot help but take a different perspective on this.
just to explain: .Fleur clarified that it was you she was referring to when she made that comment. I'm not trying to over analyze a character on subtle facial expressions and brushing off a gun. I analyze the evidence, provided, what we are "actually" seeing in trailer. Things such as a confrontation. Whats being said and how, all tied together. I'm not trying to analyze and face and say "she knows whats to come" just because someone's eyes are closed. and its not only that, i value a hundred times more the information flow, and the contradictions all while looking into the patterns in seeing what we can look into. You're adding far more than what appears to be. Gentiana has her eyes closed and is handing the staff over to Lunafreya. Its not like we're seeing a live seen where we can see her facial expressions change where eyes shift to or if her head is bowing. all we see is that her eyes are closed, which is common when it comes to royalty or people who are divine. When a server pours drink to the king or queen, does he look directly to in their eyes? No. i shouldn't have to explain the obvious. There is very little to "speculate" on a single artwork. Especially when we haven't sen this character anywhere before.
In my honest opinion, she is not just a "support" role and SE already said she is integral to the story.
Every character we've seen so far is "Integral" though. When i said "support", i didn't exactly mean it in a way where she's just a bystander or just some character that follows Lunafrey around, but her role doesn't appear to supersede that of Luna's current role especially if she acting under her. There are other characters who have also appeared in the trailer who have yet to be shown. For example, hooded man who looks like assassin's creed. But, in due time. Again, the status of limited female cast tends to put them at an incredibly high value, one forgets that gender-aside, could be just another support role (don't underestimate the term "support")
You do not just design a neat piece of concept art like this and suggest she is just support. Gentiana is mysterious for a reason and I am very open to speculation about her. Well, the next ATR will focus on the Nilfheim Empire, AKA the villains, but it is not as if Tabata suggested Gentiana will be talked about. I honestly think SE is not revealing her much because she is a huge spoiler. Yes, she is mysterious. Why are you grieving? The dragoon girl is still in the game and will be talked about next ATR. The city scene is likely still in but shifted. Actually, that is interesting because Gentiana was never shown before dragoon girl; however, I still believe the dragoon is someone completely different. I can see where you are coming from but there is more to this than meets the eye.
Like i said before, i analyze the information flow. What's being said, whats being contradicted, and more. So if you claim that Tabata said "i'm going to talk about Dragoon Girl" in the next ATR....he hasn't confirmed yet that they are two completely different characters. I think SE isn't revealing much on Gentiana because it would seem like minor information. huge spoiler or not, theres plenty of room to tell us who she is. You're building her up as if she was mysterious, as if we would've known by now who she is. but there is still a large handful of characters we have yet to see, and knowing Tabata's reveal style, he reveals a large ammount of characters near the end and doesn't talk much about them.

Nations at war were always a thing even at Versus's conception, no?

Personally, I'm a bit fatigued with evil empires as they've grown to rival evil Popes as a staple of the series. Feel free to use it now and then, but does it have to be so ubiquitous now? Presently, if you want to be a Final Fantasy villain, you have to either be a member of an annexing-obsessed military regime, a member of divinity in some way, or Liam O'Brien's voice - and there's not enough of the latter!

FFXII: Archadian Empire. FFXIV: Garlean Empire. FF Type-0: Milites Empire. FFXV: Niflheim Empire. FFXVI: ?

EDIT: Never mind. I missed the word "map" in your post, because I was rapidly skimming through stuff. Carry on.

You still make an elegantly good point though Linnaete. It would be nice if they spiced up the concepts behind their villains. It is certainly something that has been strongly prevalent through the majority of the Final Fantasy series (not just the more recent titles) so maybe it is time for them to explore beyond the evil empires and the diabolical corporations. Maybe for the next installment they can go back to the all powerful, demonic solo artist? I think that would be awesome. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the last time they did that in Final Fantasy IV/ V?

One thing I would say about the female cast of characters for FFXV is that I really hope they don't just make them "strong" for the sake of being politically correct or to meet some sort of feminist quota. Strength of character comes about in so many ways and wears many different faces, not just a grim looking one when pushing away guns with the back of a hand. It really comes down to the story and the difficulties and trials it sets out for the female characters, and given the fact that the only playable character is Noctis and his merry band of men are exactly that, I'm not sure how or when we're going to be able to see these more defining moments for the female cast. Panning these women off as determined souls as they make #TheBoss entrances would be, at least in my point of view, paying lip service and not much else.

The last Final Fantasy females characters we had that were strong yet feminine with decent fleshed out personalities were Aerith and Tifa, so it's way past time they put more thought in their presentation of their pseudo-tough women.

Yup, semi-rant over. :grin:

Back