Chocobo Egg
Terra
Yuna
FFXIV
Ellia Lombardia
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Final-Fantasy-XV_2016_09-14-16_007.jpg

Square Enix have unveiled the full trailer at TGS 16 and we finally meet Gentiana in game, as well as a look at Shiva!

Source: Gematsu.

Dat Shiva tho and also Luna getting slapped. It looks like she's worn out.... maybe because of defeating Levi. Looks to be the same scene and Ardyn slaps her unconscious.

Last edited:
Okay, okay. Brace yourselves. If anyone is sick to death of seeing me rag on about Luna and how I feel the marketing has presented her thus far, you're reading the wrong post. I politely suggest you look away now.

A woman being assaulted obviously does not mean she is weak. Hell, watch Jessica Jones. Her PTSD is centred on both her historical physical and mental abuse inflicted upon by the show's central antagonist and I certainly cannot profess that the character lacks fortitude and strength of character. I am not decrying Luna for being weak simply because we have seen some unpleasant characters knock her around a bit. That would be foolish and would perpetuate the false idea that a woman's strength lies only in her martial abilities, because strength can be depicted in various ways. A tale of a courtesan who ends up as a willing captive in order to slowly sow political discord within an enemy nation's ranks for her own side's benefit would be a good example of a strong female character without having to show her effortlessly fell ten guys with a sword.

So let's get the above out of the way. That is not what irks me about Luna.

It's how about Square Enix have presented her character thus far.

It's true. We see her (or rather, we are teased of a short scene of her) stand up to Leviathan and put up with whatever strenuous trial is thrown at her. That's the one moment in the marketing that has come closest to showing Luna in any positive light. But if I'm interpreting the dialogue of that scene correctly, it's for Noctis's sake. "Bear witness, the king WILL prove himself worthy". This very trailer has her state that very purpose. The marketing has not assuaged any fears that the character is ultimately there to serve Noctis's journey, goal and motivations.

And then we have the two scenes of physical assault. One when she's young and a faceless man shoves her to the floor before advancing on her. Now we have this, and inflicted on her while she's already on her knees and presumably being exhausted after the whole Leviathan sequence. Why on earth is this part of the marketing? How is this appealing? How is this generating intrigue besides conjuring up cheap sympathy for your female lead and instant dislike of the antagonists (as if we need any more reason to know why Ardyn is a bad guy). How is this meant to corroborate with the incessant assertions that Luna is indeed a Strong Female Character™?

I personally think Kingsglaive failed the character as a whole. FFXV's showing so far hasn't been much better. But yes, I should wait and see before I really judge her. It's not necessarily the character I am fully but prematurely judging. It's what they have shown of her so far versus what they keep bleating on about. It's also nothing to do with Stella. I liked Stella's original design and that's it. I won't pretend that had Nomura kept her she would have been this amazingly well-written female lead either, especially looking at *cough* Kairi in Kingdom Hearts. Poor girl still isn't getting the chance to shine.

/rant over

But otherwise, the trailer is a marked improvement, though still subpar. Quite why they opted for that dramatic Omnis Lacrima theme for largely talking sequences is beyond me. Goodness knows what the editing team was doing.

It is oddly edited... They have the dramatic Omnis Lacrima theme during the conversations, but then they have the uplifting main Final Fantasy theme for some of the more dramatic scenes such as the slapping of Lunafreya... It doesn't really match.

It's still a good trailer.

Nice to see them directly address the impact of what happened in Kingsglaive, as well as the morally ambiguous actions of Regis, etc. The reveal of Ardyn's identity doesn't have any impact as most people knew he was the Chancellor by now (especially those who saw Kingsglaive). I guess it is better to get that out of the way in the trailer rather than in the game anyway, since many gamers will learn that fact long before the reveal scene in the game.

It's nice to see Shiva. Is it just me or is there more than one Shiva flying about (like in FFXIII)? We only see a brief glimpse but there appear to be 5-10 of them!

So let's get the above out of the way. That is not what irks me about Luna.

It's how about Square Enix have presented her character thus far.

It's true. We see her (or rather, we are teased of a short scene of her) stand up to Leviathan and put up with whatever strenuous trial is thrown at her. That's the one moment in the marketing that has come closest to showing Luna in any positive light. But if I'm interpreting the dialogue of that scene correctly, it's for Noctis's sake. "Bear witness, the king WILL prove himself worthy". This very trailer has her state that very purpose. The marketing has not assuaged any fears that the character is ultimately there to serve Noctis's journey, goal and motivations.

And then we have the two scenes of physical assault. One when she's young and a faceless man shoves her to the floor before advancing on her. Now we have this, and inflicted on her while she's already on her knees and presumably being exhausted after the whole Leviathan sequence. Why on earth is this part of the marketing? How is this appealing? How is this generating intrigue besides conjuring up cheap sympathy for your female lead and instant dislike of the antagonists (as if we need any more reason to know why Ardyn is a bad guy). How is this meant to corroborate with the incessant assertions that Luna is indeed a Strong Female Character™?

At first, I thought the whole slapping sequence was a bit jarring but it is meant to convey something about Luna's character. Yes, it is true she did nothing but she was unconscious after the Levi sequence as you and I indicated. As you said, she was abused as a child and now abused as an adult in this trailer. All of that will make her stronger, imo. Think about the themes in the trailer. The bros are fighting, Luna gets slapped unconscious, and therefore right away we can assume they meant this scene to be part of the trailer, where everyone seems to be in danger. That is the only reason they would include this, I feel. Gladio punches Prompto in the face, calls his friend a brat, Ignis is blind due to whatever incident we don't know about, Ravus almost kills one of the bros, Luna gets slapped, and Ardyn presumably wants to kill Noctis. This trailer is just indicating themes in the game and does not detract from Luna's character. They are saving Luna, as she is very spoilerific to the plot as her VA did say. Therefore, yeahhhhh it might be bizarre marketing but that is my take on it. They said this would be the final trailer before release, I think so may as well go all out. What if Gentiana is what is making Luna weak? Hmm, it certainly is a possibility here.

It is oddly edi

It's still a good trailer.

Nice to see them directly address the impact of what happened in Kingsglaive, as well as the morally ambiguous actions of Regis, etc. The reveal of Ardyn's identity doesn't have any impact as most people knew he was the Chancellor by now (especially those who saw Kingsglaive). I guess it is better to get that out of the way in the trailer rather than in the game anyway, since many gamers will learn that fact long before the reveal scene in the game.

It's nice to see Shiva. Is it just me or is there more than one Shiva flying about (like in FFXIII)? We only see a brief glimpse but there appear to be 5-10 of them!

Pretty sure we always knew he was the chancellor and I didn't see Kingslaive. Some of the stuff in the trailer might have slipped as I haven't seen the movie but yeah. Yup, there seem to be multiple Shiva sisters or maybe that's one of her attacks when you summon her, I don't know. I agree about the music.... bizarre choice but great trailer nonthless.

At first, I thought the whole slapping sequence was a bit jarring but it is meant to convey something about Luna's character.

If anything, it conveys something about Ardyn's character and nothing about Luna. Here's this oily man with so much political power in his hands who suddenly loses his cool. It says something when Luna's face isn't even seen in that sequence. Only Ardyn's. It's centred on him.

Think about the themes in the trailer. The bros are fighting, Luna gets slapped unconscious, and therefore right away we can assume they meant this scene to be part of the trailer, where everyone seems to be in danger. That is the only reason they would include this, I feel.

No. Luna being slapped adds nothing.

The trailer's themes convey Noctis's destiny and the burden on his shoulders, but flaws in his character generate indecision, conflict with friends and derision from his enemies. The trailer also beats it into our head that the bros are much more than simply bodyguards. They are instrumental to his development. Even Luna, despite giving a motivational speech about her role as the Oracle remains steadfast in serving Noctis's development and to help him attain his goals.

The slap is there because it's easily manipulative. It detracts from Luna at a time when marketing seriously has to convince me why she's indeed the strong character they advertise her to be simply to establish something largely redundant. That's the only reason why it's put in the trailer. We know Ardyn is a bad guy. We didn't need to see him smack Luna only for the editing to cut straight to Ramuh for some bizarre reason. Not even a shot of Luna's face looking furious and defiant?

It also reminds me of the reboot Tomb Raider game and how the player should want to "protect Lara". I simply detest cheap, manipulative tactics.

They are saving Luna, as she is very spoilerific to the plot as her VA did say.

If anything, I imagine she'll just be fridged to serve as a motivator for Noctis to man up.

If anything, it conveys something about Ardyn's character and nothing about Luna. Here's this oily man with so much political power in his hands who suddenly loses his cool. It says something when Luna's face isn't even seen in that sequence. Only Ardyn's. It's centred on him.

No. Luna being slapped adds nothing.

The trailer's themes convey Noctis's destiny and the burden on his shoulders, but flaws in his character generate indecision, conflict with friends and derision from his enemies. The trailer also beats it into our head that the bros are much more than simply bodyguards. They are instrumental to his development. Even Luna, despite giving a motivational speech about her role as the Oracle remains steadfast in serving Noctis's development and to help him attain his goals.

The slap is there because it's easily manipulative. It detracts from Luna at a time when marketing seriously has to convince me why she's indeed the strong character they advertise her to be simply to establish something largely redundant. That's the only reason why it's put in the trailer. We know Ardyn is a bad guy. We didn't need to see him smack Luna only for the editing to cut straight to Ramuh for some bizarre reason. Not even a shot of Luna's face looking furious and defiant?

It also reminds me of the reboot Tomb Raider game and how the player should want to "protect Lara". I simply detest cheap, manipulative tactics.

If anything, I imagine she'll just be fridged to serve as a motivator for Noctis to man up.

I understand you feel Luna has done nothing to give a good impression about a strong character but what use will it be spoiling everything in a trailer? It also tells us something about Luna. It tells us she's been abused as a child and needs to muster up the strength to overcome that. I saw people on neogaf pointing out that the person that abused her as a child looks a bit like Ardyn, so maybe there's some huge animosity between them. Of course, that’s speculation. How do we know Luna is doing everything for the King? Even then, it does make her a strong character to protect Noctis and co from danger. Hell, she's a political figure here giving a speech to people that are about to die. That comes off as strong to me. Just because SE is marketing Luna badly, in your opinion doesn't mean she's NOT strong. Maybe SE is marketing her this way because they want to surprise us in the game. I honestly think we will all be proven wrong and Luna can hold her own.

I'm not sure how I feel about that trailer. It doesn't excite me, but I'll end up playing the game anyway come release.

I have to say though, hearing one of the main iconic FF themes starting in 2:40 seems a tad bit awkward, as if it doesn't belong. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it doesn't seem convincing, and I love that piece.

I'll hold my final judgement about the rest until I play the game.

I agree it was quite a strange trailer, but my blood still started to boil x,D
It's the sign that I really need a PS4 and this game, lol. ˇˇ

I hope Lune will become a more... strong and energetic character, because I couldn't take a liking to her after watching Kingsglaive and this trailer (or any trailer x,D). Somehow she is really far from who I could sympathize. And it's strange because I really feel attached to blond-hair characters (usually at first sight), she is maybe the only exception. ^^"" So I hope she will prove that I'm wrong and she is a strong female lead or at least a character I can feel with.

Back