Chocobo Egg
FFXIV
Aoife Linnaete
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
None
final-fantasy-xii-the5lkqg.jpg

Finally. The last remaining mainline Final Fantasy game that was not officially available for any current generation console has just seen its (imminent and expected) HD announcement. Titled Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, this HD remaster of the decade-old game is due out next year and exclusively for the PS4 for the time being. Looking at Square's history of releases however, we can speculate that a Steam release later down the line seems very probable too.

final-fantasy-xii-thevojk3.jpg

final-fantasy-xii-theubjhl.jpg

The better news? This will be an HD remaster of Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System, meaning the formerly Japan-only improved build of the game touting a refined gameplay system and new content (would you like to fight all 5 Judge Magisters at the same time?) will now finally make its way to western shores in an official capacity.

final-fantasy-xii-theslj4z.jpg

final-fantasy-xii-the1yjst.jpg

final-fantasy-xii-the7fjnn.jpg

final-fantasy-xii-theotkaa.jpg

Gematsu has the translated report from the official website about what's in the package:

Visual Improvements

• High-resolution upgrades for backgrounds, character models, and all 2D parts including fonts
  • High-resolution upgrades for movie scenes
  • Introduction of current generation visual expression
Sound Improvements

• 7.1ch surround support
  • High-quality voice support (YEEEEEEEEEEEEES)
  • English and Japanese voices (switch between them in the game configuration - but why would you ever not want to use the English voice acting? It's among the best I have ever heard in an JRPG...)
  • Original and newly re-recorded BGMs (switch between them in the game configuration)
Usability Improvements

• Shorter load times
  • Auto-save functionality added
  • Improved high-speed mode and improved play time operability during high-speed mode

And finally, teaser trailer.

Alright this is great news for me! I really liked FFXII, and I heard the Zodiac System was a lot better. (Never tried it myself mind you.) Also fighting all the judges at once... BRING IT ON! :shakefist:

I never gave this game much of a chance back then. I only played it for around 6 hours and was done. I feel like now I'd appreciate the story alot more now that I'm alot older. Definitely picking this up xD

Alright this is great news for me! I really liked FFXII, and I heard the Zodiac System was a lot better. (Never tried it myself mind you.) Also fighting all the judges at once... BRING IT ON! :shakefist:
The Zodiac System is better than the standard license board because you can actually build each character a certain way instead of having a straight across the board approach. Say you want a certain character to focus on dealing magic damage. There is a path that can be taken that would allow them to be more effective at such a task. The 5 Judges from what I have seen is considered to be the most difficult boss fight in the single player main line series, other than Ozma from FFIX. I'll for sure be picking this up to play with the Zodiac System. The speed up fight aspect will TRULY be welcomed for a long ass fight like Yiazmat.

I'm not even sure I made it to the final boss in this game.
It was one person and just as I had the winning hand, it went and made itself undead.
That one status I didn't equip for! But if I ever get a PS4, I'll be certain to pick this up.

YYYYESSSSS! It looks so good! Looks to be basically on-par with FFXIII visually, at times. It was definitely a beautiful game by PS2 standards. I will definitely be clearing out my gaming schedule for 2017 so I can sink time into this one!

You can thank me for this! I don't know if you know, but the universe actually revolves around me, and it was waiting for me to spend 80 f*cking hours playing through FFXII for my recent review, so that the game could be announced now as a practical joke.

In all seriousness, I'm really excited. The soundtrack being re-recorded (though it doesn't need it), is intriguing. And I'm excited to play the ZJS version. That being said, I really, really hope that it comes with the ability to play the original version as well. While the ZJS version looks really fun, it's highly restrictive, and has some hardcore permanent decisions you have to make. I'd like the choice between making a ZJS file where I have to lock everyone into permanent jobs like that, or playing it like the original where everyone can be anything/everything at any time.

I've been waiting for a remaster so I could play it finally, but I really can't see a difference :lew:

I was super super excited seeing this after work last night. I got home really late for this beautiful announcement <3. It will be weird playing Final Fantasy XV this year and then going back 10 years to FFXII but it is remastered and includes the zodiac stuff, therefore I am super excited to play it again. I will work on finishing every trophy, most likely.

A criminally underrated game - this is good news.

I am a bit apprehensive about the job system - I have never liked jobs in any iteration other than FFX. Otherwise, my sole request for this game is that the lag between "heavy" spells is reduced. For example, when you cast Scourge, all of your other spells would have to wait until Scourge was finished casting before they would move on. I think it had something to do with frame rates or some such, so it might be gone already.

Can someone give me a "Hell yeah!", please? I remember the rumblings about it last year after some employee made a tweet about FFXII, but now here we are.

Preorder? I think so. ^_^

I love how Vaan's plastered-on "abs" are still there. Ideally they should be removed, because its conspicuousness will not be any less mitigated in an HD version (it will probably stick out even more like a sore thumb). Though on the other hand, they're like a small running gag, so getting rid of them would be like completely redoing the Tidus laugh scene in FFX. :8F:

The changes made to the game will be good, though annoyingly in the IZJS edition, the "classes" you choose for your characters can't later be changed, so there is a good chance that unless you consult a strategy guide, you may screw yourself over with some choices, especially when up against the more challenging enemies in the game.

Also, I hope they invert the camera movement. I remember the PS2 version driving me a little bit mad with the inverted controls.

Back