Worship Piplup or it will peck your eyes out
Finally. The last remaining mainline Final Fantasy game that was not officially available for any current generation console has just seen its (imminent and expected) HD announcement. Titled Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, this HD remaster of the decade-old game is due out next year and exclusively for the PS4 for the time being. Looking at Square's history of releases however, we can speculate that a Steam release later down the line seems very probable too.
The better news? This will be an HD remaster of Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System, meaning the formerly Japan-only improved build of the game touting a refined gameplay system and new content (would you like to fight all 5 Judge Magisters at the same time?) will now finally make its way to western shores in an official capacity.
Gematsu has the translated report from the official website about what's in the package:
- High-resolution upgrades for backgrounds, character models, and all 2D parts including fonts
- High-resolution upgrades for movie scenes
- Introduction of current generation visual expression
- 7.1ch surround support
- High-quality voice support (YEEEEEEEEEEEEES)
- English and Japanese voices (switch between them in the game configuration - but why would you ever not want to use the English voice acting? It's among the best I have ever heard in an JRPG...)
- Original and newly re-recorded BGMs (switch between them in the game configuration)
- Shorter load times
- Auto-save functionality added
- Improved high-speed mode and improved play time operability during high-speed mode
And finally, teaser trailer.