Your all-time favorite FF characters

Howl

Co___okies!!!
Veteran
Gil
Each FF section of the forums is crowded with "Your favorite main character" and "who's better" threads. I just did a search and I didn't see any "overall favorite character" threads, so here it is.

Who are your very favorite FF characters; Main characters, NPCs, temp characters, etc...

My favorite Main character is Zidane Tribal. Not your typical "I'm here to prove myself" character. He's the perfect leading roll. He always thinks on his feet, He's flirty, adventurous, romantic, outspoken, and always ahead of his game.

I'll reply more later; I just wanted to get this thread started. ^__^

Rydia is my all time favorite. She's been my favorite since I first played IV on the SNES. (Called II then). I always loved that she could summon monsters and was a magic user. It was even cooler that she could even summon when she was a little girl. And she is also green and green is my favorite color.

Terra comes in second. I loved her development through out the game. And she had a really cool part during the ending. She is also a lot like me in terms of personality. And her morph ability was pretty cool. Her goal was to discover love. And I like how she did so by NOT falling in love with a man, but by taking care of children.

Faris from V was just cool. I mean, she's a long lost princess that becomes the captain of a pirate crew. What's not to love about that?

Yuffie is my favorite character from VII. I liked her up beat attitude and she never had an emo moment, even when she was hanging from the Wutai cliffs. She was also one of my best attackers which was a plus. A lot of people find her annoying, but that's ok. :)

Wow, I only put female characters down. XD

Last edited:
Vivi Onatier had always been a personal favourite of mine. He develops so much through the course of the game, and goes from a weak-spirited juvenile to a strong character. He has to overcome so much in a big world that he knows little or nothing about. Plus he's one of the most powerful charcters from FFIX when he has all his Black Magics

My top 5 playable FF characters are as followed:

1. Cloud Strife
2. Vincent Valentine
3. Cid Highwind
4. Red XIII
5. Auron

EDIT:
Woooh, I just realized that I put Amarant in my #2 spot. Though Amarant's a cool character, he'd be my #6 and not my #2 pick. My #2 is Vincent.

Last edited:
Okay, I'm ready to lay it down.
Top FF Characters of all time.

Zidane Tribal
Clever, quick-witted, outspoken and courageous. Zidane is one of the most loveable personalities I've ever seen in an FF game. He's so much more upbeat than the rest of the cast; even in his downtime, he's quick to overcome his demons and rebound his troubles with determination.
"You don't need a reason to help people"; The best mentality to have in a position of leadership. Zidane never doubts his allies, and he's always mindful towards others; even his sworn enemies.

Aerith Gainsborough
Aerith has the most beautiful personality; above all other FF characters. She's considerate and warmhearted, yet outspoken and brave. Even in hardship, she never shows doubt; she
never questions the motives of her friends, willingly risks her life to save others, and she sacrifices herself for the benefit of her friends, and for the good of the world.

Garnet Til Alexandros
Garnet is a wild child if you ask me. She's self-willed and rambunctious; but in a good way for once. She's always ready to try new things. She'd willingly risk her own life to save her kingdom, she's not shy, or softspoken, and she's always on top of the matter at hand. Always considerate towards others, and understanding of the motives of friend and foe alike.

Best Overall Cast: FFVII
While FFVII doesn't bare the majority of my favorite characters, it did have the most broad and unique cast of characters. Each person had his or her own two-cents to add to the story, and they all had an equal form of influence over the plot.

While FFVIII had very poor character development, FFIX had characters like Eiko, Amarant, and Quina, who were lacking in certain characteristics, and FFX's characters were equally lacking in depth; FFVII came out in top in terms of perfection and finalization.
See the following chart for my input on character development percentages.

Cloud - Has a complete background including Nibelhiem, Tifa, Sephiroth, Zack, SOLDIER, ShinRa, mako experimentation, death of his mother, and escape from Hojo's lab.
Aerith - Complete background including Ifalna, Professor Gast, Hojo's research, fond feelings towards Tseng, ShinRa, the Turks, and descendent of the Cetra.
Tifa - Decent background including Nibelhiem, Cloud, death of her father, and master Zangan.
Barret - Complete history including ShinRa, collapse of North Corel, death of his wife, dissapearance of Dyne, and adoption of his best friend's daughter.
Red XIII - Decent History including death of father and mother, ShinRa, endangered survivor of his race, Bugenhagen, and protector of Cosmo Canyon.
Cid - Decent history including ShinRa's space program, Aircraft design, and dreams of visiting space.
Cait Sith - Decent history including ShinRa development, spying, and rebellion against his employer.
Yuffie - Complete history including the ShinRa-Wutai war which was lead by Sephiroth, daughter of King Godo, quest to retrieve materia and bring back Wutai's pride.
Vincent - Complete history including Lucrecia, Turks, Hojo's experimentation, Sephiroth, and ShinRa.
Overall development percentage: 98%

Squall - Grew up in an orphanage; member of SeeD.
Quistis
- Grew up in an orphanage; member of SeeD.
Rinoa - Rebellious teenager who started a rebel group to piss off her father.
Zell
- Grew up in an orphanage; member of SeeD.
Irvine- Grew up in an orphanage; member of SeeD.
Selphie- Grew up in an orphanage; member of SeeD.
Overall development percentage: 2%

Zidane - Complete background including Garland's creations, Terra, Kuja, Baku, and Tantalus.
Garnet - Complete background including the attack on Madain Sairi, Summoning abilities, Escape from Madain Sairi, death of mother, adoption by Brahne, Princess of Alexandria.
Steiner - Decent background including affections towards Beatrix, captain of the knights of Pluto, and bodyguard for Garnet.
Vivi - Decent background including manufacturization as a magical being, the black mages, his grandfather, and the mystery behind his being.
Freya - Decent background including Sir Fratley, and Burmecia.
Eiko - Decent background including Madain Sairi, summoning abilities, and moogle relatons.
Amarant - Little background information.
Quina
-
Little background information.
Overall development percentage: 60%

Tidus - Decent background including Jecht, Auron, death of mother, and Blitzball.
Yuna - Decent background including Auron, Braska, Jecht, and summoning.
Wakka - Small background including death of Brother Chappu.
Lulu -
Small background including death of fiance, Chappu.
Auron - Complete background including pilgrimage with Braska and Jecht and defeating Yunalesca and the final Aeon.
Kimahri -
Small background including being a small Ronso...
Rikku - Small background including being Yuna's cousin, and a member of the Al Bhed.
Overall development percentage: 25%

Okay, I'm ready to lay it down.
Vivi - Decent background including manufacturization as a magical being, the black mages, his grandfather, and the mystery behind his being.

Actually, his backround is a lot more explained than anyone else in FF9 was. He was the first prototype for the Black Mages, he has the longest life span, became 'aware' around the time when he met Quan, his grandfather died & he took in Airship to Alexandria.

The rest he played out in the rest of FF9.
Shortly thereafter, he died and that brought his story to a sad end.

=x I'm sorry. I was rushing with all that writing. Lol.

I liked Vivi's story a lot, but unfortunately I overlooked it as I was so in tune with Zidane and Garnet's romance. =3

Aerith Gainsborough
Aerith has the most beautiful personality; above all other FF characters. She's considerate and warmhearted, yet outspoken and brave. Even in hardship, she never shows doubt; she never questions the motives of her friends, willingly risks her life to save others, and she sacrifices herself for the benefit of her friends, and for the good of the world/

Damn it woman you stole the words from my mouth theif :P J/k - although i couldnt agree anymore - Aerith is my favourite character for exactly the same reasons rhea posted except i have to include that i really like her relationship/friendship (dont wanna start an LTD) woth cloud as its really cute ^_^

My absolute favorite FF characters are:

Vincent Valentine - I've always like characters that were a bit 'dark' and mysterious. Loved the tragic and twisted love story surrounding Lucrecia as well. Plus even though he never changes a whole lot throughout the compilation, you can see some events started to turn some wheels in his head.

Balthier Bunansa - Charming, dashing and sexy. xD He always has an aura of slight arrogance, and is all to sure of himself. But he seems to have plenty to back the attitude up with. He's obviously had some hardships/emotional distress primarily from his father, but he doesn't let it get in his way too much. He just keeps going. Plus, pirates are cool.

Fran - She's soft spoken, and gentle except when in battle, then she's as fierce as any man (God that sounded gay xD). She has a level head but there are also some things in her past that plague her. She seems 2 dimensional at first glance but she's a really deep character.

Tifa Lockhart - She's made some bad decisions, and lied about things, but it's cause she thought she was doing the right thing. She didn't really ever want to hurt anyone. She's kind and caring, and is the one that got Cloud off his ass in AC. xD

Zidane Tribal - He's not emo (I like the emo's sometimes), he trusts people, and he wears his heart on his sleeve. He doesn't try to hide who he is, and most of the time is blatantly honest with everyone.

Last edited:
Kain - This was the first Dragoon I had encountered in the FF series. He and Cecil made for one of the best offensive teams in any FF game in my opinion... And, that helmet gave him a rather mysterious aire, but he was still trustworthy for the most part except for the mind control incident...

Vivi - A central character throughout FFIX, Vivi is a character many can relate to... A meek, shy child, who is also curious about his own origins. He is probably one of the FF characters who develops the most in the games.

PRINCESS GARNET - like her cuz shes a really strong character she knows what needs to be done for her people even if it means going up against her mother. Even after discovering her past she remains strong, an thers sumthin a bit crazy about her.

Tidus - He was cheerfull and upbeat which was a nice change, always wants to do the right thing.

Cloud strife - what need i say.....its cloud.

seymour gaudo - this guy was a great baddie, he made me want to jump into the game and smack him

Another hard decision! >.< I have a lot, and sometimes I get confused who I like more. But well, I'll just list some names, in no particular order. :) Okay, let's do this...

Princess Garnet - Something about her really draws my attention and I think it's because of her singing voice. (Lalalala lalalalala <-- that part!) Whenever I hear about Garnet, I am always reminded of that tune she hums. And then of course, there's her character development. The scene that really stuck with me was when she cut off her hair with a dagger and her hair flew amongst the wind. It was such a beautiful scene that I immediately recognized her growth as a character.

Cloud - His past and the way he dealt with it was just amazing. I'm actually proud of him. His character is the most developed, IMO, and I love the fact that Square actually took all that time to make his character and personality so damn complex. It really intrigued me from the start til' the end.

Yuna - Again, great character there. She was such a cool heroine and I like her views in life (especially that speech she made in the end.) I grew attached to her character immediately because in the game, you can tell that she was sad and was always deep in thought since she was facing so many obstacles, but she does not actually show it by being optimistic and cheerful most of the time. I like that in a character.

There's more, like Aerith, Tifa, Squall, and Ashe. But I'll update it later. ^_^

I do have a stickied thread for people to post in as well, just thought I'd let you know.

However, all time favourite characters:

Rubicante, Kain, Rydia, Yang, Galuf, Faris, Edgar, Sabin, Ultros, Tseng, Laguna, Kiros, Raijin, Fujin, Kuja, Quina, Regent Cid, Stiltzkin, Auron, The Al Bheds, Seymour, Kimahri, Nooj, Baralai, Gippal, Buddy, The Judges from XII, Basch, Vayne, Dr. Cid, Ba Gamnan, pretty much all the NPC's from XII that speak, Imperial Army, Reddas, Vossler - that'll do for now. Reasons later =P

Sephiroth-He's is the best fighter ever and he looks so sweet. If he was real and he acted like he was in FF7 I wouldn't want to meet him.

Squall- This dude is awsome,He reminds me of my friends Cody.
He's a quiet guy that dosen't really care about you. He is just awsome freaking awsome!

My favourites are 1. Red XIII, 2. Auron 3. Lulu
The reasons are pretty much the same, all of them have dark pasts and the only way to find out about it is to speculate and gain others oppinions then form your own . For example Auron in my oppinion did care for anybody in ffX since i didnt pick up on him talk to anyone else and the whole arm in the sling thing is the japanese sign of a mercenary.

Back